DoS, because 1. you can play Singleplayer if you want and MP when you want (as opposed to an always online MMORPG) and 2. because you'll only have to pay once. Unless MMOs are really your thing...

Deleted
    Haven't had much fun in WoW lately and remembered how fucking epic Kingoms of Amalur: Reckoning was, sad it didn't get the attention it deserved cause of Skyrim.

Is there anything out there today which will get me as addicted? Can't even pinpoint what I liked about the game, it was just completely epic.

Quote Originally Posted by Silfwerfisq View Post
    Haven't had much fun in WoW lately and remembered how fucking epic Kingoms of Amalur: Reckoning was, sad it didn't get the attention it deserved cause of Skyrim.

Is there anything out there today which will get me as addicted? Can't even pinpoint what I liked about the game, it was just completely epic.
    Some people seem to think that Dragon Age: Inquisition is similar to KoA. I'm not sure I agree but the opinion of that is out there.

As someone who love KoR, I have to say that GW2 is pretty much everything you want out of a multiplayer KoA:R... except that there are classes and the story isn't quite as great but still great. Pretty much KoA:R with multiplayer and classes.

10+ Year Old Account
    By Lieutenant Colonel Whiskers McBallofur Maximilliamus the Third

Too bad the company that did KoR closed down T-T the ending to kor was left open for a sequel
    “Snow can only live in the winter. When it nears a fire, it dies. That is its life. It may yearn for summer, but… it can only desire it. In my hand, the snow becomes water, because this is not its world….”
    “The boundless Heavens and Earth are the final resting place of all living things. Life is like a journey, filled with various scenery, various paths.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    Some people seem to think that Dragon Age: Inquisition is similar to KoA. I'm not sure I agree but the opinion of that is out there.
    I understand where they are coming from. The combat is different, but everything else, indeed, feels quite the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian Stormclaw View Post
    As someone who love KoR, I have to say that GW2 is pretty much everything you want out of a multiplayer KoA:R... except that there are classes and the story isn't quite as great but still great. Pretty much KoA:R with multiplayer and classes.
    KoA had something GW2 doesn't have though: dialogues everywhere, with everyone. In GW2, at best, you can talk to a couple of key personalities on every outpost that will tell you a couple of sentences about what's going on around. In KoA, on the other hand, you could learn so much about the lore just talking to random people. I loved the Ysa quests that gave you a lot of lore on the relations between the Fae and mortals, and I adored the House of Ballads quest line, seeing with my own eyes how those ballads were made. GW2, while also is great in terms of lore, lacks that level of storytelling.

But I totally agree, the first game I thought of when I started playing GW2 was KoA. The visual style and combat are very similar, music has some similar tunes, crafting is almost exactly the same, as well as emphasis on the exploration.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raamul View Post
    *snip*
    I am thinking Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor.
    Perhaps misunderstanding your requirements, but while Shadow of Mordor is indeed in a world rich with lore (Middle Earth), it does just about absolutely nothing with it. Don't play that game for anything but killing a lot of orcs, sometimes in admittedly creative ways.

Best thing I can think of is Deus Ex: Human Revolution. It's a late 2011 game, so a bit more than 3 years old, but it has the story, and multiple ways to get past a lot of situations. Also, while it is a first-person game, and you can shoot things, I wouldn't really call it an FPS.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raamul View Post
    Sure. Will have a look at Deus. Thanks for the suggestion.
    Also look at Dishonored. It's a little less open than you want, but it is free roaming with objectives, a great story, and a lot of different ways to tackle your objectives. You can play the game super stealthy, killing no one directly, or be a violent magical assassin. The crazy part is that the world changes based on how you play. The more you kill, the darker and more 'infested' the world becomes.

The game is really underrated, but was pretty fantastic gameplay and narrative.
    BAD WOLF

10+ Year Old Account
    im playing shadow of mordor currently and feel like playing lotr universe games.

what games for pc that are worth attention are there ? last one i played was middlearth 2. has there been any newer rts ? maybe other genres ? id like to hear them all

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Khatolic View Post
    im playing shadow of mordor currently and feel like playing lotr universe games.

what games for pc that are worth attention are there ? last one i played was middlearth 2. has there been any newer rts ? maybe other genres ? id like to hear them all
    There's Guardians of Middle-Earth, which is a MOBA.

Lord of the Rings Online, an MMORPG that takes place during the trilogy (mostly in the background, a lot of expanded lore in this one). F2P, with one of the better F2P models IMO, but it can look and feel outdated.

LotR: War in the North, third person action RPG, also taking place in the background of the trilogy I think.

There is LOTRO, which has one of the world's strongest - if not THE strongest - RP community, but compared to more 'refined' MMOs like WoW, it is quite dated and slow. F2P model is a hassle. Only quality LotR game I can think of.

Well here goes nothing:
    I am looking for a decent game for my friend and I to play that is either free or reasonably priced; (or even normal priced if it's just that damn good.)
    My experience?
    Christ there's a long list that will not justify all that I've truly played but again, here goes nothing.
    PC:
    Ultima Online (before it went to hell and back, not sure how it's still alive honestly.)
    World of Warcraft (Duh. *Since a week before BC was released; all expansions played*)
    Ragnarok Online (mostly free-servers, did play the real deal at one point)
    Tera (was not a fan)
    Guild Wars 2 (felt like it needed something else, can't quite describe it.)
    Diablo I, II, and III (III was better when the RMAH was in place, *then again it helped when people didn't exploit it as well*)
    League of Legends (the community became wayyyy to toxic for me to continue, public games felt similar to russian roulette.)
    Team Fortress 2 (not bad for an occasional game, nothing even close to permanent *in regards to consistent gameplay*)
    Final Fantasy: A Realm Reborn; felt similar to Tera, needed more beef.
    Smite (not impressed either)

Xbox, Xbox 360, Xbox One, PS2, PS3, Wii, Wii U, Super Nintendo, N64, Gamecube, all that crap and then some.

I would like to stick with PC if possible but again I feel like I've sort of just become a pessimist when reviewing new games. I had such high hopes for WoD but it seems the problems were more the community rather than the gameplay itself (couldn't quite connect with people it seems.)

Anyway, apologies for the long rant, just looking to attempt to get some much needed stress relief in some kind of decent game.
    -Hodor the Wise

Quote Originally Posted by Hodor the Wise View Post
    Well here goes nothing:
    I am looking for a decent game for my friend and I to play that is either free or reasonably priced; (or even normal priced if it's just that damn good.)
    My experience?
    Christ there's a long list that will not justify all that I've truly played but again, here goes nothing.
    PC:
    Ultima Online (before it went to hell and back, not sure how it's still alive honestly.)
    World of Warcraft (Duh. *Since a week before BC was released; all expansions played*)
    Ragnarok Online (mostly free-servers, did play the real deal at one point)
    Tera (was not a fan)
    Guild Wars 2 (felt like it needed something else, can't quite describe it.)
    Diablo I, II, and III (III was better when the RMAH was in place, *then again it helped when people didn't exploit it as well*)
    League of Legends (the community became wayyyy to toxic for me to continue, public games felt similar to russian roulette.)
    Team Fortress 2 (not bad for an occasional game, nothing even close to permanent *in regards to consistent gameplay*)
    Final Fantasy: A Realm Reborn; felt similar to Tera, needed more beef.
    Smite (not impressed either)

Xbox, Xbox 360, Xbox One, PS2, PS3, Wii, Wii U, Super Nintendo, N64, Gamecube, all that crap and then some.

I would like to stick with PC if possible but again I feel like I've sort of just become a pessimist when reviewing new games. I had such high hopes for WoD but it seems the problems were more the community rather than the gameplay itself (couldn't quite connect with people it seems.)

Anyway, apologies for the long rant, just looking to attempt to get some much needed stress relief in some kind of decent game.
    -Hodor the Wise
    Just play CSGO. Great for competetive playing, great for casual play, alot of mini/multi games mods. Zombie escapes, jail break, etc. It is low priced. Also, just go ahead and get CSS as well, even more mods on that one. The sky is the limit for the source engine.

And I realise that most of your list was RPG, but I saw TF2 and went for fps. CSS got RPG mods as well. Probably CSGO too by now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well here goes nothing:
    I am looking for a decent game for my friend and I to play that is either free or reasonably priced
    Here's a list of games to look into whether they pique your interest:

Firefall
    Warframe
    Marvel Heroes 2015
    Path of Exile
    Rift
    Neverwinter Online
    SWTOR

All of these games are free. Couple of MMORPGs, couple of ARPGs, one ARPGFPS, etc.
    BAD WOLF

Well here goes nothing:
    -Hodor the Wise
    I just started looking into Star Citizen. Game looks amazing and is still in testing right now. Due out in 2016 I believe.

can get in beta and some other testing events for $45. (and your own spaceship!)
    Last edited by Drae58; 2015-02-11 at 07:07 PM.

SMITE is cool game with amazing graphics

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeula View Post
    Anyone know any good single player RPG's that may have escaped my eye? Currently playing through the mass effect trilogy for the first time but I doubt I'll go through it again for a while (The first game is horrible and the other two will be fresh in my mind).
    I enjoy dragon age, kingdoms of Amalur, mass effect 2, the elder scrolls games, dragons dogma (Though usually not a fan of eastern games), Divinity 2, the witcher, fable 2 ect...
    Would be nice to have something on my radar for when I'm done with mass effect, also I hate difficult games and always play on the easiest difficulty (I guess that rules out the dark souls series) and prefer a good story over gameplay, though if the gameplay is really good I will be ok with a mediocre story (Dragons dogma comes to mind).
    I know you posted this like two weeks ago... But I saw this and was just taken aback. What about the first game makes it horrible? I am genuinely curious. Sure it wasn't as action oriented as 2 and 3 which were more like 3rd person shooters than RPGs, but outside of that...?

How could you think the story of ME1 was bad? Mass Effect 2 was the worst in my opinion... ( lol human reaper wtf ) It would have been leaps and bounds better if it ended differently... And Mass Effect 3... ( lol none of your decision for the entire trilogy matter in the end )... All three of them are very strong outside of the ending and then Mass Effect 1 had the strongest ending in my opinion, at least in terms of being the least ridiculous (compared to ME2) or the least upsetting (compared to ME3)...

Anyone have any good games to play while watching something else (TV, Movie, Twitch)? It used to be WOW/D3/Hearthstone (Hmm blizzard has a type =/) was really good for this, but now I'm having trouble finding anything else that works like it.

This means nothing that requires me to actively listen to the game, little to no cutscenes, and something that can be paused/afked in frequently.
    Last edited by Faltemer; 2015-02-14 at 07:17 PM.

Warframe sounds like what your looking for. Just remember that if you wanna pause the game, you'll need to play in singleplayer mode (you can switch freely between multiplayer missions and such, but by default it's set so that when you join a mission it's open to everyone).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Faltemer View Post
    *snip*
    Any other ARPG with a single player mode would fit. Torchlight 2 has a lot of mod capability as well so the replay value is quite high.
    BAD WOLF