Rift was always "Why am I not just playing WoW?" I wouldn't really recommend it to someone who is bored of WoW.
    Rift is a fresh cup of tea in the same genre as WoW

I recommend in this order:

GW2 (cause its on sale)
    Vindictus
    TERA
    GW1
    Rift
    PoE
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

Might try SWTOR right now with the double XP weekend till Sunday you would lvl fast and see soon if you like it or not.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    Rift is a fresh cup of tea in the same genre as WoW

I recommend in this order:

GW2 (cause its on sale)
    Vindictus
    TERA
    GW1
    Rift
    PoE
    Well Rift has gone F2P as well so there is really no regret to trying it out. Haven't played it myself but am trying to get a group of friends to try it with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Recar View Post
    Might try SWTOR right now with the double XP weekend till Sunday you would lvl fast and see soon if you like it or not.
    Just be warned SWTOR gets old real fast and I mean real fast. And it's F2P model compared to other games is a huge pain in the rear.

Quote Originally Posted by Recar View Post
    Don't! That game is so crap. Everyone left it within a year for a reason.

10+ Year Old Account
    Pokemon games are a good timesink.
    Don't sweat the details!!!

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    we dont realy enjoy games now not coz of their boring games, its coz we getting older and games are less interesting for us...many wow players are small kids who dont know how to read even, unlike us who are funs of warcraft universe

- - - Updated - - -

so go learn something and get a GF in RL

10+ Year Old Account
    Path of exile (a better free version of diablo 3)
    I've tried PoE... I loved it up until the last difficulty level. It's still kinda good but I feel it's quite hard to build a character properly. Not to mention that it's expensive... 50 Chaos Orbs for 1 item? Yeah, haven't seen 5 of them in the entire game, let alone 50... And 50 is kinda cheap, really. Oh and also, the currency system with orbs and stuff... Kinda blows. For several reasons I'm not gonna get into. But it's kinda sad that 1 Mirror goes for so freaking much :/

OP: Try Neverwinter. Completely free to play, fairly similar to GW2 (except in my opinion a bit better managed), graphics look more like WoW (which is very nice for me) and it's just fun to play.
    Try it out.
    And even though it's reached new heights, I rather like the restless nights. It makes me wonder, makes me think there's more to this, I'm on the brink. It's not the fear of what's beyond, it's just that I might not respond! I have an interest, almost craving, would I like to get to far in?!

tf2- it has hats

dota2

planetside2

10+ Year Old Account
    Fantastic Contraption is the best non-WoW related way I know of to kill a few hours.

Education + gaming = success. So try games like Typing Shark or Typing of the Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Wargasm View Post
    Hey folks, I'm looking for a fairly balanced open world PVP mainstream MMO to start playing. I was looking for about a year, before I finally gave up and bought GW2. Turns out the lack of open world PVP turned me off of even wanting to level another character. I hit 80 and realized leveling was only for access to a little more PVE content and the whole PVP thing was not only separate, but it was all staged and instanced. I like the danger of knowing I could get ganked while leveling, or that I have that ability to kill an unsuspecting character in their home town. In my opinion, both WoW DAoC really did this well. There were guards stationed at each town, and getting there was difficult, but not impossible. This is not to say I want an all out gank fest, but like those 2 MMO's, I do like the possibility. I also can't stand the influx in anime inspired graphics. There are some good games out there I would consider if I wasn't running around with characters wearing wedding dresses or my little pony bows. WoW was pushing it, but it was playable. However, the panda expansion stuff... I can't really get passed that. Anyway, I'd really not like to go back to WoW, it's had its time.. same as DAoC. I've asked around and have had several suggestions. And after a lot of reading up on them, I narrowed it down to a few. Knowing my thoughts on mmo's, I'm hoping to hear your folks thoughts on which one of these may have the advantage. Also, I'm hoping for a sort of sword and armor theme - non grinding and a lot of players. This is why I didn't choose DC Universe Online, any of the MMO shooters, and a lot of "indie" games. This is what I've gotten it down to:

Darkfall
    Lineage 2
    Tera
    Regnum Online
    Aion

Maybe I missed one researching online. If you think there's one out there better than all these, please post up Can be F2P or otherwise. Thanks everyone!

I have played almost every MMO that has and don't have pvp in them. The hardest thing to find in a pvp game is balance but there is the issue where the developers attempt to control it with there style of balance that ends up ruining the pvp system all together.

If you want a somewhat sandbox style mmo with open world pvp unrestricted try Mortal Online. I would be playing it myself right now but my pc decided to
    take a turn for the worst and cannot keep up enough for me to react and I don't like to willingly supply enemies with gear.

You can kill anyone anywhere anytime no matter what. People say there is a large learning curb but the game was not designed to hold you'r hand it gives you a small tutorial that can be done in about 15 minutes tops unless you have no sense of direction. It is not a level based game but skill oriented. Skills are not levels but are trained through reading books purchased from the npc's in the towns and most learned through action.

You start off with a set race type build setup and run well walk really slow for the first day of play as if you just was born. This is the baby step stage but at this stage you can still encounter pvp if you decide to attack someone even though you are under the fledgling flags for the first duration of the tutorial.

This is the issue you run into with every single game out there. You have kids or even adults who simply cannot handle themselves IRL so they take there hidden mentality to the MMO world. They act like a hard ass talking smack and bringing there unbalanced toon that is far more advanced than you'rs to the starter zones or even go out of there way to find noobs just to kill them. While nothing you have at the start is even worth picking up they do it anyways and this is what causes most issues with any pvp system. There are restrictions such as if you kill 5 people that are blue flagged you become red so they do one of two things. They hunt the noobs and kill them till someone shows up to yank there chain then they run off with there tail between there legs and hide or log out to another toon. This is griefing and even being such is not against the rules so petitioning a GM won't do nothing but waste there time and you'rs. The staff is limited as to what they can do for you and 98% of them are NOT PAID for there support. The f2p limitations are skill level 60 some not usable to f2p but can still be trained to 100 and unlocked when you subscribe. The game is dependant on RAM so make sure you have enough. 8GB allows pre cache world meaning its preloaded so this limits some lag. The Game is somewhat like Skyrim with a twist of UO but better graphics than UO. When you die you lose what you have unless somoene loots it for you or you get back. Red players lose the same + stats if they die so killing them means you just caused them to waste time skilling back up stats.

Guilds will help alot and if I would suggest one Imperial Dreams is one of the best. There not pricks who grief and will help you any way they can. But don't let there seemingly lack of RPK fool you they are far stronger than you would think even being apart of them.

There are houses and keeps that are somewhat like a small castle with a wall for the guilds and soon there will be more things added.

Give it a shot you will get the "I hear something hide. Am I going to get ganked!" feel the entire time you run around outside. Inside towns its "Is that guy going to pick my pockets steal my stuff?" I will give you a hint, watch the people with the pointy ears. Most are thieves.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by polofood View Post
    ok ive played Regnum quite a bit so my opinion is a bit biased. Bascially, I think it's probably the industry's best daoc style mmo out now in terms of pvp and rvr balance. It's not perfect but here's the reasons why i skipped the others :-

gw2: sucky pvp. all classes can have all skills, which means combat is just a mashfest of keys without tactical thinking. by contrast, in regnum every single skill use counts.

darkfall 2: sadly if you look at the official forums, this game is dying fast.

ESO: will be pay to play. i also seriously doubt they can make good pvp balance. not one single dev besides regnum and daoc has made good balanced daoc-style pvp. it's very hard to do.

DAOC: i don't like it because every time i move in combat, there is a skating movement animation (probably done by the devs to help create bigger wars).

aion: not bad but be prepared to grind forever, this game is a clear example of the situation where the time spent grinding is a greater determinant of victory in pvp than knowing how to use your skills.

Rift: not for me... if you google "how good is Rift pvp" the web is full of advice on how bad it is. From the pvp videos i suspect the missle/magic classes are way overpowered, meaning that war just becomes a range fight of crowd control freezes. Boring. In Regnum, you can actually feel the lines of battle and their functions.

Lineage 2: I wouldnt call this open RvR pvp. Every time you kill an enemy, you get some sort of negative karma setting.

World of Warcraft: I tend to think private servers offer the best alternative to Regnum. However, Im a bit worried the server will vanish overnight.

Anyway, if you have any questions about regnum im happy to try to answer them.
    ESO doesn't really need to be balanced do to how the class system works
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I'd never compare him to Hitler, Hitler was actually well educated, and by all accounts pretty intelligent.

I am curious as to what people play in terms of F2P and B2P

I got:

GW2
    GW1
    PoE
    TERA
    Rift
    NWO

hmm what else is there..
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

I play Vindictus and Dragon Next from time to time. Used to play DCUO but haven't touched it in a while. Also will play TSW occasionally. Plus GW2 and SWTOR.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am curious as to what people play in terms of F2P and B2P
    people really need to stop listing poe as mmorpg :D
    it's got some mmo elements in it, but comparing it to one never quite works.

as for your question, you've listed the ones i've played (got bored of tera and neverwinter very quickly though) except for SWTOR. i think it is without any doubt the mmo with the best leveling and questing, with storylines and story-telling that beat many singleplayer rpgs. buuut its f2p model absolutely sucks and shouldn't be seen as more than a trial version.

Deleted
    Hi everyone, i am looking for a game or games that have decent co-op. not hard to find eh? okay try this then. It has to be co-op compatible between Ipad and PC.. so far ive only found solstice arena, which is quite fun but not too much longevity (atleast not for us).

10+ Year Old Account
    By Lieutenant Colonel Whiskers McBallofur Maximilliamus the Third
    Quote Originally Posted by Sy View Post
    people really need to stop listing poe as mmorpg :D
    it's got some mmo elements in it, but comparing it to one never quite works.

as for your question, you've listed the ones i've played (got bored of tera and neverwinter very quickly though) except for SWTOR. i think it is without any doubt the mmo with the best leveling and questing, with storylines and story-telling that beat many singleplayer rpgs. buuut its f2p model absolutely sucks and shouldn't be seen as more than a trial version.
    Yea agreed their model sucks recently went back to try to play with my bro and their f2p system sucks so hard its unbelievable how money hungry they are chased me right out
    “Snow can only live in the winter. When it nears a fire, it dies. That is its life. It may yearn for summer, but… it can only desire it. In my hand, the snow becomes water, because this is not its world….”
    “The boundless Heavens and Earth are the final resting place of all living things. Life is like a journey, filled with various scenery, various paths.

10+ Year Old Account
    so humblebundle is having a great co-op sale right now https://www.humblebundle.com/
    cant comment on all the games but magicka is awesome if you have a couple of friends (i think its up to 4 player) and you can have a lot of fun with that.
    garrys mod can again be a ton of fun, on your own or with friends if you are creative or even for just dicking about its pretty much a builder in the half life universe
    while i havent played serious sam 3 i have played the previous 2 and while this is somewhat different i would assume that it is just balls to the walls killing a ton of massive monsters with insane weapons

[Need recommendation]Top down shooters with rpg elements

Any suggestions? By rpg elements i man some sort o progression, gear, stuff like that...
    thanks

There is a sticky for this.

But that aside, Tyrian is great, and free.
    Really Big sky, is a side shooter you could try.