Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    Deleted

US army Camo SNAFU

Apparently the US army has finally admitted their camouflage was a huge mistake, one that cost the tax payer $5 billion.

"The fact that the government spent $5 billion on a camouflage design that actually made its soldiers more visible — and then took eight years to correct the problem — has also left people in the camouflage industry incensed. The total cost comes from the Army itself and includes the price of developing the pattern and producing it for the entire service branch."

http://www.thedaily.com/page/2012/06...ge-fiasco-1-5/

Anybody got any experience wearing this stuff? Is it really as bad as they made it out to be?

10+ Year Old Account
    I always thought it looked pretty stupid for blending into somewhere. Haven't worn it myself, but I've seen plenty of National Guard wearing it. It stands out a bit.
    "When I was 5 years old, my mother told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down 'happy'. They told me I didn't understand the assignment, I told them they didn't understand life." - John Lennon

Deleted
    Well, I guess they tried to make camouflage that worked in multiple terrains.

Except they failed and it made them more visible in both of them.
    That is the risk they knew before using it. It's safer to stick with separated designs for all the terrains.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardstyler01 View Post
    Well, I guess they tried to make camouflage that worked in multiple terrains.

Except they failed and it made them more visible in both of them.
    That is the risk they knew before using it. It's safer to stick with separated designs for all the terrains.
    The problem is that that risk probably got people killed, as well as costing a fortune.

I wonder why they dont use that black and white camouflage anymore...

The one they used on tanks that used sharp black and white lines to hide actual shape n stuff

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post

The one they used on tanks that used sharp black and white lines to hide actual shape n stuff
    Black and white stands out a hell of a lot thats why, especially in the light of the desert.

It's ridiculous, really.

The Brits are using multiterrain now so as to have one camo that does quite well in most scenarios as opposed to one camo that works in one setting but sticks out like a dogs bollocks in another. Definitely a fan of multiterrain, especially when it's weather in, it's great for Afghan etc.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Palmatum View Post
    It's ridiculous, really.

The Brits are using multiterrain now so as to have one camo that does quite well in most scenarios as opposed to one camo that works in one setting but sticks out like a dogs bollocks in another. Definitely a fan of multiterrain, especially when it's weather in, it's great for Afghan etc.
    Yeah, I love our new MTP stuff, but I will always have fond memories of DPM.

http://domhyde.files.wordpress.com/2...0cdo-mtp01.jpg

Old Desert DPM on the left, new MTP on the right.

10+ Year Old Account
    *puts on tinfoil hat*

Hmm... so it took them 8 years to address it whilst fighting several wars, but when there is a chance of huge amounts of civil unrest in the USA this year, they change it. Oh how convenient. Also anyone here about all those tanks practicing with law enforcement in the US? I think the government knows an economic collapse will happen soon... also 30,000+ drones by 2020 that are gonna protect you all from the big bad Al Quaida cave terrorists?

*Takes off tinfoil hat*

Yeah don't worry, just go along with it

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kivimetsan View Post
    *puts on tinfoil hat*

Hmm... so it took them 8 years to address it whilst fighting several wars, but when there is a chance of huge amounts of civil unrest in the USA this year, they change it. Oh how convenient. Also anyone here about all those tanks practicing with law enforcement in the US? I think the government knows an economic collapse will happen soon... also 30,000+ drones by 2020 that are gonna protect you all from the big bad Al Quaida cave terrorists?

*Takes off tinfoil hat*

Yeah don't worry, just go along with it
    They practise the same exercise every year. If there is a civil war do you really think the military will turn on their own people? I know for sure Most British forces would refuse to obey that order.

Deleted
    The black and white contrast camo was normally used on large field pieces or ships that generally couldn't be hidden by other means, it was designed so that when it was mobile it wasn't as easy to determine direction or the orientation of whatever was camouflaged.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dazzle_camouflage

not great for individuals though.

i've worn similar, not the army since i was air force.

that stuff stands out pretty bad in normal vision, to give credit it's pretty sleek in the IR spectrum, but i don't think too many people conducted war in IR like me.
    “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”

Quote Originally Posted by BatteredRose View Post
    They're greedy soulless monsters for not handing me everything for my 15 moneys a month!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Albert the fish View Post
    i've worn similar, not the army since i was air force.

that stuff stands out pretty bad in normal vision, to give credit it's pretty sleek in the IR spectrum, but i don't think too many people conducted war in IR like me.
    I heard it glows in the dark in IR if you wash it with fabric softener, is that true?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    They practise the same exercise every year. If there is a civil war do you really think the military will turn on their own people? I know for sure Most British forces would refuse to obey that order.
    Yeah ofc, but if its in the name of fighting terrorism, im sure lots of morons would go along with it.

Deleted
    All the UK '95 gear was treated so it wouldn't show too well in the IR range but it wore out as you washed it, also the brass managed to screw it up royally if your unit insisted on creases as they showed up as a perfectly straight bright line under a scope.

awesome.

Black and white stands out a hell of a lot thats why, especially in the light of the desert.
    Yes i know, it was the point - i wish i could find the picture.

---------- Post added 2012-06-25 at 01:59 PM ----------

like this

I heard it glows in the dark in IR if you wash it with fabric softener, is that true?
    never washed any myself and never saw any glowy uniforms on our side during missions.
    i'm going out on a limb and saying that it probably doesn't, and if it does the glow is not severe enough to see from the sky.
    “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”

Quote Originally Posted by BatteredRose View Post
    They're greedy soulless monsters for not handing me everything for my 15 moneys a month!

Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post

It's called dazzle camouflage which was used to disguise the size, shape and movement of vehicles, usually things that cannot be hidden as it is more about misdirection or misinformation. It has basically been defeated by technology like better radar but I recently saw it in a video on an FT86 prototype from Toyota going around the nurburg ring. It totally works, not easy to pick up the shape of the car unless it is at the right angle.

Deleted
    If there is a civil war do you really think the military will turn on their own people?
    Yes.
    You'd be surprised at what people are able to do when just following orders. If no-one can stand up against it, everyone will follow.
    Why do some police mistreat and beat civilians when it's their job to serve and protect? People will do a lot of things under the guise of orders and peer pressure.

American Revolution
    American Civil War