Poll: Fallout or Elder Scrolls?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylreick View Post
    I get enough fantasy in most RPGs, not too many post apocalyptic ones. I'd say fallout just because I didn't get into the elder scrolls games until skyrim (and that's because a buddy of mine talked me into buying it).
    A decent point actually. Not a lot of post-apocalyptic games out there and especially not in RPGS.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

I prefere the elder scrolls side but both are very good games, I'm not sure how you could dislike both.

Maybe the combat system isn't for some but I feel it's one of the best out there.

I would suggest if you do dislike parts of it at least tell us what games you've played that were better in those areas.
    Ricotta,Corleggy Retired.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    I like them both equally. But then again I have equal love for science fiction and fantasy.
    There is a fine line between clever and stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    The combat is however pure FPS.
    Except that its not. You can play first person if you like, or you can play like I do in third person. Not to mention that the First person is, imo, terrible for anything but looting single pieces of currency (loose bottle caps and gold).

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaosbringer View Post
    Except that its not. You can play first person if you like, or you can play like I do in third person. Not to mention that the First person is, imo, terrible for anything but looting single pieces of currency (loose bottle caps and gold).
    True, you can play it as third person.... But honestly it wasn't until Skyrim that they actually bothered to improve that because it's terrible. It's clunky and very dysfunctional. Bethesda have even admitted that they only had it for two reasons; 1. so you could see your character. 2. because they felt it should be there.

I've never known anyone who actually used their third person, nor have I have ever heard of anyone using it - but you apparently.

10+ Year Old Account
    FO3 > FO:NV > FO1 > FO2 > Obliv > Skyrim

Guess my interests just lie elsewhere :|

Quote Originally Posted by wynnyelle View Post
    (I think that VATS is a terrible system, but if you don't like FPS then it's good)
    False, I love FPS games and have nothing against VATS in the slightest.

---------- Post added 2012-06-30 at 08:47 PM ----------

I didn't like Oblivion in my short time with it. It started too slowly and I quickly lost interset. If I gave it a long chance, I'd probably like it. However, that's not the case.

As a result, here is my reply: Skyrim is my favorite between the two series. I wouldn't even call it close. However, it's the only game from The Elder Scrolls series that I liked (didn't play 1-3, though I was unimpressed watching a friend play Morrowwind). I didn't play Fallout until Fallout 3, and I loved that game. I also watched my cousin play New Vegas a lot, and thought it looked good (never played it because I'm backlogged on games to finish). So Skyrim is my favorite of these games, but Fallout has offered 2 good games to The Elder Scrolls' 1. Therefore, I give Fallout the win as a series. Skyrim is definitely the best game, no question.

I'm more interested in Fallout 4 than The Elder Scrolls 6 right now, since the former will probably arrive sooner. It's really a tough call, though. I voted Fallout, but Skyrim is such an entertaining game with SO MUCH CONTENT that it's hard to say it alone doesn't give it the win. So I voted Fallout, but I have no hard-set answer.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfsage View Post
    The Elder Scrolls feels like a cheap, tacky IP, and the lore is uninspired.
    really after 5 games, all widely successful if not all loved the same, the 4th one being game of the year, what 2-3 years in a row, and still considered the greatest rpg of the current generation of consoles..cheap and tacky? ok go enjoy your gunplay..oh and btw they had to get the history of fallout from the original developers whereas elder scrolls is all their own work

I mean seriously, who decided that in Skyrim the empire should be a roman rip-off, complete with identical armor? Fuck's SAKE, they could do so much more with a fantasy setting and decide on that shit. That's one of many things that bother me.
    I'll agree with the roman empire armor and yes fixed for you

oh and on a side note OBV>FO3...not played FO:NV and still exploring my way round skyrim after a ME break but liking it so far
    Last edited by mmoc3151cbd1c0; 2012-06-30 at 09:01 PM.

Deleted
    The combat is the exact same in TES and Fallout (3 and NV)... Only difference is V.A.T.S which is flawed and often bugs.
    And that the at least a bit interesting sparing is nearly useless because 90% of the weapons in game shoot things, and over half of those are hitscans that just happen.
    Need to say however, that the engine does not feel good enough for shooter game, which they made it in fallout.

Deleted
    Fallout for me, i like the whole "Apocalyptic" setting.

Fallout 1 (no time limit) > Fallout 2 > Daggerfall > Fallout 3 > Oblivion > Morrowind

havent played skyrim or new vegas

I guess i cannot stress how much i enjoyed and still enjoy morrowind lore and gameplay - That game will always be on the "top game of my life"-list. The whole concept of the Dunmer just generally speaks to me.

Now i cannot say the same about skyrim and to an even lesser degree oblivion wich after comming from Morrowind was a huge dissapointment. Ill still go with Elderscrolls, partly cus i dislike anything spacy and futurish.

With rose colored glasses Morrowind is my favorite game of all time. I love Bethesda for doing something no other game company really does. Personally I'll take swords and bows over guns any day so TES gets my vote.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Fallout definetely.

I mean seriously, who decided that in Skyrim the empire should be a roman rip-off, complete with identical armor? Fuck's shake, they could do so much more with a fantasy setting and decide on that shit. That's one of many things that bother me.
    Cheap, tacky and uninspired? While I can see why one doesn't like TES, calling it uninspired is just rubbish - have you SEEN the amount of ingame lore there is? Both through books, stories and folklore? It's MASSIVE.

Oh and derp, the Empire used Roman-looking armor in the other games as well, just like they used Roman titles as well. And the whole Empire vs Skyrim thing is obviously based upon the Roman conquest of Britain.

---------- Post added 2012-06-30 at 09:11 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Gum View Post
    I guess i cannot stress how much i enjoyed and still enjoy morrowind lore and gameplay - That game will always be on the "top game of my life"-list. The whole concept of the Dunmer just generally speaks to me.

Now i cannot say the same about skyrim and to an even lesser degree oblivion wich after comming from Morrowind was a huge dissapointment. Ill still go with Elderscrolls, partly cus i dislike anything spacy and futurish.
    To be honest, Fallout isn't really spacy or futurish (well a bit, it has robots and lasers but.... That's all rather clunky and basic, and not all Star Wars'y). It's just post-apocalyptic really.

I didn't play a lot of Morrowind, but I to liked the Dunmer and the alienness of Morrowind. I guess my main gripe with Skyrim is the Nords and Skyrim itself. I've never been a fan of vikings at all. Heck, I'm danish, I've had plenty of derp'ish viking stories and the US versions of vikings tend to be VERY annoying and Arnold'esque.

---------- Post added 2012-06-30 at 09:13 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by AFK-Champion View Post
    And that the at least a bit interesting sparing is nearly useless because 90% of the weapons in game shoot things, and over half of those are hitscans that just happen.
    Need to say however, that the engine does not feel good enough for shooter game, which they made it in fallout.
    I wonder why they wanted to have Fallout 3 as a real-time fps-rpg really, I mean Fallout 1-2 were turn-based rpgs like Baldur's Gate. And while some might find the turn based concept dated, Dragon Age Origins is an example of how it can work in modern times.

Deleted
    I played Oblivion about 200 hours,
    Skyrim more then 200 and didnt explore all (i think i explored about 50%, but i started many new games).
    The Skyrim Mod community is HUGE and AWESOMEEEEEE!
    I would recommend Skyrim and if you play it on PC pm me and i post you some awesome Mods!

Deleted
    Beware: fallout 3 is a shitty game due to a stupid plot, stupid action, stupid perks, stupid system, stupid AI and NPC reactions. This game is basically what a developper should NOT do when they reload a legendary saga. Particularly when this saga wasn't 3d. particularly when this saga is FALLOUT.

Fallout new vegas, however, was excellent! Of course: all the quests, world, narrative structure, were designed by the very people who gave birth to Fallout 1 and 2: ex black isle developers working now for obsidian entertainment. This leaded to a 3D fallout game with an excellent plot, tons of action and character development, suspense, fear, side quests, factions, and possibilities. The engine and 3d render were slightly improved too.

On the other hand, Skyrim was a pretty good game. It was even excellent on a lot of points, like quests and the partially new lore. And of course it's beautiful.

It seems Bethesda can only do good elder's scrolls games, and imho they should stick to this and not trying to adapt what they patiently designed over the years (3d engine, game system, IA...) to another universe.

So My advice is: Skip Fallout 3, play fallout new vegas (the dlc are also fairly good) and play Skyrim. You'll have something like 200+ hours of amazing entertainment. Really.

Hope this helped.

by the way:
    Nice troll sir. The point is we only saw like... a third of the elder's scrolls lore until here. And it's already a huge amount of stories. Uninspired? Just like Tolkien's middle earth then?

Seriously this saga is maybe the most consistent, lorewise, videogame EVER. Just reading all the books present in the different games can take like 3 HOURS.

Elder Scrolls, mainly because I can't seem to get into Fallout for some reason, bought Fallout: New Vegas and returned it the next day, just couldn't get into it and found it incredibly boring. That said, I LOVE Skyrim, more than I loved Oblivion. It's one of my hands down favorite games of all time. Also, not trying to be a graphics snob, but I always found Fallout's graphics to look very greasy/oily and muddy, Fallout: New Vegas looked a bit better from Fallout 3 from what my memory serves me.
    Last edited by Karthorn; 2012-06-30 at 09:46 PM.

True, you can play it as third person.... But honestly it wasn't until Skyrim that they actually bothered to improve that because it's terrible. It's clunky and very dysfunctional. Bethesda have even admitted that they only had it for two reasons; 1. so you could see your character. 2. because they felt it should be there.

I've never known anyone who actually used their third person, nor have I have ever heard of anyone using it - but you apparently.
    Sounds like your playing the console versions, cause mouse and keyboard are don't suffer from that problem. I will give you Oblivion was tougher because of the floaty camera but mods fix that issue.

---------- Post added 2012-06-30 at 05:22 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Hexa View Post
    Seriously this saga is maybe the most consistent, lorewise, videogame EVER. Just reading all the books present in the different games can take like 3 HOURS.
    Seriously, I did it my first play through on Skyrim and it tack a large chunk on my play time, some funny stuff in them.

15+ Year Old Account
    I prefer the Elderscrolls over Fallout, but I liked Fallout too.

For one the feral ghouls always scared the piss outta me. I like to sneak in both series, getting the jump on enemies and a crit bonus is nice. Creeping around a dark sewer with zombie people popping out at me every corner was not fun. When I played New Vegas I saw in that rocket factory to help Boone, I had my silenced pistol and everything was going smooth. Then I guess one saw me and they all came running. I was backed in a corner (switched to a 9mm submachine gun) with 8 of the bastards swarming me. on the surface when I had my modified hunting rifle and could snipe them everything was fine. Fallout has some seriously creepy 'dungeons' to explore though.

Elderscrolls you know what you're getting into. you go into a tomb, you're fighting undead; go into a cove, you're fighting bandits for the most part. With the weapon sound thing they did in skyrim, you could easily pick them off one by one with cloak and dagger kills. Elderscrolls you also seem more free/sandbox, theres the main mission sure, but it's really easy to venture off and get sidetracked.