Quote Originally Posted by Ashnazg View Post
    Its truer to the D2 than D3 is, that's why people praise it. It is the spiritual successor of the smash hit D2.
    "Truer" how? Why is change a terrible thing? I love how people are quick to forget that D2 had, you know, issues pre-expansion. D3 will get better in time, just as every game, really.

So...PoE is popular because it's "more" D2 than D3 is? That's really dumb; if you want D2, play D2.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by icedwarrior View Post
    Am I a terrible person because I haven't considered playing this before it was introduced on Steam? And only now that it has, am I interested?

Yeah, I am.
    I actually quit/forgot the game for a while and I saw it was being released on Steam and started playing it again because of it. Also, Achievements!

"Truer" how? Why is change a terrible thing? I love how people are quick to forget that D2 had, you know, issues pre-expansion. D3 will get better in time, just as every game, really.

So...PoE is popular because it's "more" D2 than D3 is? That's really dumb; if you want D2, play D2.
    There is nothing wrong with wanting a new game that nonetheless captures a feeling of an old one.

While I haven't played PoE, it doesn't really seem to do anything that hasn't already been done. It's only saving grace seems to be an ABSURD amount of choices in skills/talents/stats, but it will probably have the exact same problem Diablo 3 had. Which is that there is basically no room for improvement in this genre after Diablo 2, and every game in the genre wants to be Diablo 2 and therefor you might as well play Diablo 2. It's the same problem that exists in MMOs these days, everyone wants to be WoW and you might as well keep playing WoW instead of buying something else.

If you have already played Diablo 2 and have become tired of it, you are very unlikely to feel entertained by any new game in the genre beyond the first 20-30 hours. But when the tiny amount of novelty runs out you'll get frustrated that the experience that Diablo 2 was back in the day can't ever be felt again. It's essentially the same as drug addiction; the first high is always the best, and the rest of your life is either spent chasing that experience again and never reaching it or quitting the drug entirely.

With all that said.... PoE is free. You have nothing to loose by simply downloading it and playing it. Worst case scenario you wasted half an hour waiting for the game to download, which is a small price to pay compared to the amount Blizzard charged for Diablo 3 for example.

Quote Originally Posted by Noorri View Post
    While I haven't played PoE ...
    Well ... thank you for your valuable input

My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

PoE is popular because it's a good game, developed by a passionate indie studio.

It being more reminiscent of Diablo 2 doesn't mean it is Diablo 2 or that they haven't done their own improvements.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

but it will probably have the exact same problem Diablo 3 had. Which is that there is basically no room for improvement in this genre after Diablo 2, and every game in the genre wants to be Diablo 2 and therefor you might as well play Diablo 2. It's the same problem that exists in MMOs these days, everyone wants to be WoW and you might as well keep playing WoW instead of buying something else.
    This is where you are wrong, it's the modern evolution of D2 and is often said to be everything D3 should have been...

Am I a terrible person because I haven't considered playing this before it was introduced on Steam? And only now that it has, am I interested?

Yeah, I am.

Anyways, the potential diversity sounds really appealing. Other than that, is there anything "special" about this game? I've heard plenty of praise and about how much better it is than D3, but I'm not really familiar with the game itself.
    I told you along time ago to play dammit! Now we'll have to play sometime sir.

10+ Year Old Account
    By Lieutenant Colonel Whiskers McBallofur Maximilliamus the Third
    tried it out fun if you can stay on
    “Snow can only live in the winter. When it nears a fire, it dies. That is its life. It may yearn for summer, but… it can only desire it. In my hand, the snow becomes water, because this is not its world….”
    “The boundless Heavens and Earth are the final resting place of all living things. Life is like a journey, filled with various scenery, various paths.

Quote Originally Posted by Redblade View Post
    This is where you are wrong, it's the modern evolution of D2 and is often said to be everything D3 should have been...
    And what exactly is this evolution that makes PoE a revolution in the ARPG genre? All I see is a new coat of paint on the same old concept that was formed with Diablo 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Iamanerd View Post
    I told you along time ago to play dammit!
    You did! Along with two other of my friends.

Now we'll have to play sometime sir.
    We'll have to. It looks fun enough, but I'm not sure how into the game I'll get, considering I'm not that fond of the genre.

It had these same server issues when open beta released and it really killed the fun. The rubberbanding and constant DCs make the game difficult to enjoy even though it would be a really awesome game otherwise.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zillionhz View Post
    By fiber be purged

I played this game awhile ago and just found the skills pretty badly balanced, as for me there was never any reason to use more then one or two of them, turning the entire thing into a rampage of "click ALL the things! CLICK THEM ALL! CLIIIIICKKKKKK!!!!!!". I didn't see the game changing and didn't really see how it could be appealing. I hate D3 for many reasons, but at least it had pretty decent combat that required you to use more then one of your abilities (usually...)
    "English doesn't so much borrow words from other languages as follows them into a dark alley, hits them over the head and goes through their pockets for loose vocabulary."

And what exactly is this evolution that makes PoE a revolution in the ARPG genre? All I see is a new coat of paint on the same old concept that was formed with Diablo 1.
    The only things POE shares in common with Diablo 2 or 3 is the genre convention of killing monsters to collect loot. Which is about as intelligent a comparisons as saying that all racing games allow racing or platformers allow jumping.

The convention of the ARPG genre is primarily twofold: A. slay monsters for loot, B. accumulate a statistical advantage via loot.

A work can exist within a genre without being a parallel to or for another work. That is to say that while path of Exile shares the genre conventions of Diablo 2 & 3, Torchlight 1 & 2 or Dungeon Siege 1, 2 & 3-- all those games have vastly differing primary and secondary play systems and rules of operation (gameplay).

It evolved the skill system, passive tree and temporary leagues through racing. It also reduced the static nature of ARPG's through end game maps, exiles, shrines. All in all those are fairly significant evolutions to a previously static genre.

I'm in the same boat as you. Been playing it for a long while today and while it has it's own unique things, it's an average game. Don't get where the whole "OH MY GOD, IT'S WHAT D3 SHOULD'VE BEEN!!!1" crowd is coming from. Not that I'm praising D3 to be the end all, be all of ARPGs (before someone calls me out, because I know they will, I thought it was alright). Feels more Titan Quest more than a Diablo game to me.

I'm really lost on how to build my lightning arrow ranger now lol

Deleted
    Anyone cal link some decent Witch leveling build? I have no idea where to spend points.

Is solo play viable in this game or is it designed around co-op?

Quote Originally Posted by Tuma View Post
    Is solo play viable in this game or is it designed around co-op?
    Solo is viable. There are even solo only temporary leagues [leagues are like time limited ladders].