The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Is it possible to 100% fill out the passive bonus talent tree? I'd personally love to...
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

One thing on the social front that I find lacking, which is kinda surprising considering how much other community stuff they have, player made chat channels. One can see by just playing some right now that #global is a place you really don't want to hang around in, but if you close it there is no alternative, player created and moderated channels would solve that.

Can this game be played casually? seems to me, so far, that this game requires a ton of time invested. found couple threads on poe forums and people were saying that this game is hard to be played casually and it 'meant' for hardcore players.

(http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/46473)
    http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/53868

any truth in that? i can't invest hours and hours daily and i doubt i would be able to simply 'restart' if my build was wrong and couldn't allow me to progress.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Is it possible to 100% fill out the passive bonus talent tree? I'd personally love to...
    No. There are a total of 111 points over 100 levels. There are over 1,200 nodes in the tree.

Most make it to level 60, or 73 points.

The most dedicated make it to level 70, 84 points.

Any levels above 73 become very difficult. Leveling to 100 is akin to leveling to 99 in Diablo 2. Max level is not an assumed given such as in Diablo 3-- a design which is for MMORPGs, NOT ARPGs.

To reach 100 is a feat of steep time. Not to mention the game becomes more punitive and demanding the higher you go. There is a death penalty... and death is sudden and swift.

In the traditional of ARPGs, which sprung from Roguelikes & Dungeon Crawlers, the game is designed for you to fail.

You will curse aloud when you roll a Vaal Pyramid with Enfeeble + Chaos Damage per Second + 25% increase in Monster Damage + 30% Damage Reflect + Area Contains Totems. One death will set you back days.

Quote Originally Posted by tangosmango View Post
    Can this game be played casually?
    If you are playing solo or softcore default, sure. There is no inherent competition if you don't care about the ladder.

Just solo farm and gather what you please.

Are you going for top 20 in a one week race? Where the top players have like /played 5 1/2 days without sleep?

That can't be done casually. No.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    No. There are a total of 111 points over 100 levels. There are over 1,200 nodes in the tree.

Most make it to level 60, or 73 points.

The most dedicated make it to level 70, 84 points.

Any levels above 73 become very difficult. Leveling to 100 is akin to leveling to 99 in Diablo 2. Max level is not an assumed given such as in Diablo 3-- a design which is for MMORPGs, NOT ARPGs.

To reach 100 is a feat of steep time. Not to mention the game becomes more punitive and demanding the higher you go. There is a death penalty... and death is sudden and swift.

In the traditional of ARPGs, which sprung from Roguelikes & Dungeon Crawlers, the game is designed for you to fail.

You will curse aloud when you roll a Vaal Pyramid with Enfeeble + Chaos Damage per Second + 25% increase in Monster Damage + 30% Damage Reflect + Area Contains Totems. One death will set you back days.
    Just curious, I'm looking to try this game out but when you death penalties you mean XP loss correct? Also is this for the "normal" mode as I assume hardcore mode means if you die that's it.

Quote Originally Posted by Iamanerd View Post
    Just curious, I'm looking to try this game out but when you death penalties you mean XP loss correct? Also is this for the "normal" mode as I assume hardcore mode means if you die that's it.
    Thats how hardcore was in ARPG games till now, but PoE has a different system.

If you die as a Hardcore Character in the Hardcore League, your character then becomes a Softcore character in the Default League , which default league would be the "running season" or the certain ladder, for those that played D2 and understand the meaning of the.

After that apparently there is the Legacy League which is basically where all the characters will be dumped when the leagues are over, like in a year from now the default league (ladder) starts all over, the way Diablo 2 does every few months.

Hardcore League
    Default League (Softcore League)
    Cut-throat League (League with pretty much world-pvp enabled in a certain way, no idea when this happens or when it starts, think its the "One of those extra leagues" category)
    Legacy League (Old characters apparently, assuming they follow the D2 pattern)
    And a few more different race leagues.

The XP "loss" is rather massive also.. In Merciless (Think Inferno in D3 counterpart) each death is 20% of your XP as far as i read anyway, or it could be 15% it either goes 0/5/10/15 or 5/10/15/20 the xp loss per difficulty, dont remember, probably the second.
    Last edited by potis; 2013-01-22 at 01:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post
    Thats how hardcore was in ARPG games till now, but PoE has a different system.

If you die as a Hardcore Character in the Hardcore League, your character then becomes a Softcore character in the Default League , which default league would be the "running season" or the certain ladder, for those that played D2 and understand the meaning of the.

After that apparently there is the Legacy League which is basically where all the characters will be dumped when the leagues are over, like in a year from now the default league (ladder) starts all over, the way Diablo 2 does every few months.

Hardcore League
    Cut-throat League (League with pretty much world-pvp enabled in a certain way, no idea when this happens or when it starts, think its the "One of those extra leagues" category)

The XP "loss" is rather massive also.. In Merciless (Think Inferno in D3 counterpart) each death is 20% of your XP as far as i read anyway, or it could be 15% it either goes 0/5/10/15 or 5/10/15/20 the xp loss per difficulty, dont remember, probably the second.
    Sweet! As annoying as XP loss can be it's nice to see a game where there needs be a lot of investment in and will remain fun for a long time I'll be buying a supporter pack tonight since I was going to support them regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post

Hardcore League

AFAIK, the Default League will be the "final" league in terms of where characters end up - the Legacy League is more of a beta thing, where they move characters after a wipe. I've not heard of any planned resets or ladders for the Default League, nor the normal (non-race) Hardcore League. The races seem to have taken the place of that in terms of how PoE plans on running it.

Quote Originally Posted by Iamanerd View Post
    There is an XP penalty based on difficulty mode. Currently it is -0/-5/-10/-15% total XP loss per Normal/Cruel/Ruthless/Merciless mode. With Act 3 they are removing one of the difficulty modes [Ruthless] as the third act covers the gap between crossing over from one mode to the next.

Hardcore characters are not perma-dead. They are removed from the hardcore ladder and league. Placed in the default softcore league should they die. Where in the softcore league they would suffer the same XP penalty as everyone else.

I can not stress to the uninitiated just how huge the xp needed to level becomes. If you are playing solo or casually it might take days to reach the next level. Taking a -15% hit is an incredible set back when one needs 290 million xp to level yet you are getting like 500 xp per mob and the best xp can only be had in the most dangerous Maps.

Most players, even hardcore players, plan for level 70 or 80. Anything above is a blessing.

The top players currently are like level 86. In softcore.

Closed beta has been up a year and a half.

Since there's only few days left, I don't think it even matters, but...does anyone have a beta key? =P

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Can this game be played casually? seems to me, so far, that this game requires a ton of time invested. found couple threads on poe forums and people were saying that this game is hard to be played casually and it 'meant' for hardcore players.

(http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/46473)
    http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/53868

any truth in that? i can't invest hours and hours daily and i doubt i would be able to simply 'restart' if my build was wrong and couldn't allow me to progress.
    I'm a casual gamer. I'm not shooting for most XP gained in a day or ladders or any of that stuff and I still find it to be one of the best ARPG games I've ever played. I guess its like any game, there are people who have fun with it while never being part of the competitive scene and there are those who find their fun by being competitive.

Gems and the passives trees is a lot to take in when you first start...but it will click. A lot of what is on the forums are end-game builds and a lot of them assume you already know a lot about the game and how things work. Best thing I did was not look at them anymore till I was to the point in the game they were.
    Last edited by Rooflesstoofless; 2013-01-22 at 02:46 AM. Reason: I need to go to bed.

10+ Year Old Account
    So long as it is only an exp loss, I think I'll be fine. Unfortunately Diablo 3 was my first ever ARPG, so this will probably be a slap to the face, but hey, I was having fun with it no less!
    "A flower.

Quote Originally Posted by HBpapa View Post
    A lot of what is on the forums are end-game builds and a lot of them assume you already know a lot about the game and how things work.
    This is true and an excellent point.

It is also worth noting that some builds by established names in the POE scene assume special considerations such as group play, Map pooling, gem sharing and of course, the conditions of the league.

There is quite a difference in Nugiyen's life heavy based bow Ranger being suitable softcore or even long term HC build. Nor would it be easy to play for such casual players as the build relies on knowing how it all works from gear to skills levels 1-83.

Some of Kripparian's builds [which have become very popular] have left many newer players paying way too much for too little and quitting around level 40. See: last week's melee Rangers copying Kripp's build and paying through the nose for Shiverstings.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2013-01-22 at 02:44 AM.

There is an XP penalty based on difficulty mode. Currently it is -0/-5/-10/-15% total XP loss per Normal/Cruel/Ruthless/Merciless mode. With Act 3 they are removing one of the difficulty modes [Ruthless] as the third act covers the gap between crossing over from one mode to the next.

Hardcore characters are not perma-dead. They are removed from the hardcore ladder and league. Placed in the default softcore league should they die. Where in the softcore league they would suffer the same XP penalty as everyone else.

I can not stress to the uninitiated just how huge the xp needed to level becomes. If you are playing solo or casually it might take days to reach the next level. Taking a -15% hit is an incredible set back when one needs 290 million xp to level yet you are getting like 500 xp per mob and the best xp can only be had in the most dangerous Maps.

Most players, even hardcore players, plan for level 70 or 80. Anything above is a blessing.

The top players currently are like level 86. In softcore.

Closed beta has been up a year and a half.
    Alright thanks for the info! This game seems really good and it's nice that it makes you set a goal and work for it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I kind of wish there was a league to just fill up that whole talent tree. >_<
    "A flower.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    I kind of wish there was a league to just fill up that whole talent tree. >_<
    Heh. Even if you could fill out the entire tree, you would suicide.

Some talents are in hard opposition.

Blood Magic: Spend Life instead of Mana, you no longer have Mana.
    Chaos Inoculation: Immune to chaos damage, +50% Energy Shield. You have 1 HP permanently.
    Eldritch Battery: Convert all Energy Shield to Mana.
    Acrobatics: +20% to dodge. You no longer have armor or Energy Shield.
    Vaal Pact: Life Leech applies instantly, you can no longer regenerate life or use flasks.

You'd have 1 HP, no mana, no armor, no energy shield. Inability to regenerate life. Inability to avoid stuns.

And since you have to spend life in place of mana, you would kill yourself instantly if you tried to attack.

Good luck with your custom league, bro!

I don't think filling the whole talent tree makes sense. By having limited talent point pool your build is focused. I do this and this and I am good at it. If you fill your whole talent tree you end up with I do everything and I am good at it. That's no fun

My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Heh. Even if you could fill out the entire tree, you would suicide.

Some talents are in hard opposition.

Blood Magic: Spend Life instead of Mana, you no longer have Mana.
    Chaos Inoculation: Immune to chaos damage, +50% Energy Shield. You have 1 HP permanently.
    Eldritch Battery: Convert all Energy Shield to Mana.
    Acrobatics: +20% to dodge. You no longer have armor or Energy Shield.
    Vaal Pact: Life Leech applies instantly, you can no longer regenerate life or use flasks.

You'd have 1 HP, no mana, no armor, no energy shield. Inability to regenerate life. Inability to avoid stuns.

And since you have to spend life in place of mana, you would kill yourself instantly if you tried to attack.

Good luck with your custom league, bro!
    I'm a completionist. ;o

Also... could avoid those few... or put something in their place? XD
    "A flower.

Does any veteran have a good build or tips for a dual-wield?

There seems to be a lot you should follow early game then it changes later due to getting CI...or at least that's what I'm gathering so far...

Does any veteran have a good build or tips for a dual-wield?

There seems to be a lot you should follow early game then it changes later due to getting CI...or at least that's what I'm gathering so far...
    Well CI is getting changed so many builds will change, best thing to do is pick an attack 1 single target and 1 aoe then build around them