Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    Bestiary didn't go core after its league finished because people hated it (before it was 'fixed' with the Master rework). There is a chance that Synthesis will not go core.
    At least not at first, and I can see why tbh. But I don't think Synthesis will be work they will just throw out for scraps.
    "It's 2013 and I still view the internet on a 560x192 resolution monitor!"

Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    Yes, I am, but I'm not worried about speed, I identify things as I go and toss the trash back on the ground.
    So you don't pick up alchs, other red maps, the occasional chaos or 6 sockets or various other items that hold static value? If you only pick up 1-2 things in an average red run, you are either being quite picky or very unlucky.

After hitting a certain point where you are loaded in currency, you can get even pickier but still with a dump tab, you can keep consistent value in every map run without sacrificing time.
    Last edited by kail; 2019-04-28 at 06:54 PM.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    So you don't pick up alchs, other red maps, the occasional chaos or 6 sockets or various other items that hold static value? If you only pick up 1-2 things in an average red run, you are either being quite picky or very unlucky.
    I mean... obviously I pick up maps and currency, i'm talking just items.

Bestiary didn't go core after its league finished because people hated it (before it was 'fixed' with the Master rework). There is a chance that Synthesis will not go core.
    I think Bestiary wasn't THAT hated, it was simply annoying to play with nets, killing off beasts with high damage etc. which made the league bad. A lot of people enjoyed Einhar and the crafting system, aswell as the bestiary exclusive bosses. Incursion also didn't go core until betrayal and they didn't really rework anything about it (besides 3 rooms instead of 1 spawning). Delve was bad early and became the best league in no time.

Betrayal also shouldn't have gone core right after it ended. Unveiling items got stale pretty quick and look where we are at now. It still has so many bugs in it, both new and old ones, they HAD to make it into a core league-mechanic because of crafting being tied into it. I dont have high hopes for synthesis being fixed, but I already know it goes core simply because it has a lot of lore in it. At least they've confirmed that the next league isn't going to be on the same level as the last few, so thats a huge plus already.
    Sometimes streaming on Twitch.tv, leave me a follow or a message if you like!

Quote Originally Posted by Dugraka View Post
    *tips m'fedora*

M'lady if you would be so kind to slob me knob seeing as I held this door open for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Darleth View Post
    I think Bestiary wasn't THAT hated, it was simply annoying to play with nets, killing off beasts with high damage etc. which made the league bad. A lot of people enjoyed Einhar and the crafting system, aswell as the bestiary exclusive bosses. Incursion also didn't go core until betrayal and they didn't really rework anything about it (besides 3 rooms instead of 1 spawning). Delve was bad early and became the best league in no time.

Betrayal also shouldn't have gone core right after it ended. Unveiling items got stale pretty quick and look where we are at now. It still has so many bugs in it, both new and old ones, they HAD to make it into a core league-mechanic because of crafting being tied into it. I dont have high hopes for synthesis being fixed, but I already know it goes core simply because it has a lot of lore in it. At least they've confirmed that the next league isn't going to be on the same level as the last few, so thats a huge plus already.
    I don't even want to know how many HC Characters Betrayal killed with it's lag at the start of this league.

Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    I don't even want to know how many HC Characters Betrayal killed with it's lag at the start of this league.
    One of the many reasons I stopped playing hardcore years ago. Dying to shit that is clearly out of my control. Not to mention the shitload of one-shot deaths that are present, even by on-death abilities of mobs nowadays and I shouldn't need to have anything that shatters just to be on the safe side... it's a damn mess.

*tips m'fedora*

M'lady if you would be so kind to slob me knob seeing as I held this door open for you.

One of the many reasons I stopped playing hardcore years ago. Dying to shit that is clearly out of my control. Not to mention the shitload of one-shot deaths that are present, even by on-death abilities of mobs nowadays and I shouldn't need to have anything that shatters just to be on the safe side... it's a damn mess.
    It's honestly not just PoE though, almost all the ARPGs lately have this problem, specially since a lot of them are always online. D3 lag has killed many an HC, its just not worth it in always online games to play HC.

10+ Year Old Account
    Flashback event from 9am Saturday May 11th (NZT) until 10am Tuesday June 4th (NZT).

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2496427

Quote Originally Posted by Enjeh View Post
    Flashback event from 9am Saturday May 11th (NZT) until 10am Tuesday June 4th (NZT).

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2496427
    Meh... not gonna make me "restart" the league again. Pretty much disappointed that it's just... that.

*tips m'fedora*

10+ Year Old Account
    An Update from Chris
    Spoiler: 
    It doesn't take much reading of the official forums or subreddit to realise that a group of Path of Exile players are angry about a number of topics and feel that we haven't given solid answers about how we're going to address these issues. We will explain as many of these topics as we can in the Q&A that is currently scheduled for later this week. However, one thing that the Q&A doesn't address is how we got here. I wanted to personally post an explanation of what has been going on behind the scenes at Grinding Gear Games that led to this state.

Synthesis was more work than we expected. It was developed over the Christmas holiday, and its gameplay prototype came in very late. We didn't have a lot of time to iterate on it before release or to make drastic changes that it potentially needed. While our improvements after its launch have helped a lot and many players are enjoying it, we fully acknowledge that it is not our best league and is not up to the quality standards that Path of Exile players should expect from us. It will not be merged into the core game in 3.7.0. Maybe we can do something with it in the future, but we have no current plans.

When we reveal 3.7.0 in three weeks, you'll see that its league has a focus on repeatable fun, and the combat revamp has a lot of focus on improving the fundamentals of Path of Exile's gameplay. In order to do this, we have had our heads down, focusing on getting 3.7.0 to be ready as early as we can within its development cycle.

But that's not all we need to work on. There are a large number of critical projects going on at the same time. For a start, our 4.0.0 mega-expansion is taking a huge amount of the company's time. We see this upgrade as critical because the next generation of Action RPGs is coming and we have to be ready. Not proactively keeping up with competitors is how companies die. We don't see the huge time investment in 4.0.0 as optional at all.

In addition to 4.0.0, we've also committed to running the ExileCon convention later this year. You may think that this is a fun optional side project for us, but we see it as critical because we need a stage (literally) to announce 4.0.0 to the world. Talking to other developers has shown us that conventions are by far the best way to market a new product of this size.

Then there's the Korean launch. South Korea is a large market and we feel we are years late to release there. Due to that, we committed with our publisher to release in Korea alongside 3.7.0 and we will meet this commitment, but it's yet another project to handle concurrently.

Then there's various issues with Path of Exile on the console platforms which feel bad about because we have made promises that we haven't yet fulfilled. After the Xbox launch, all of our console resources went into preparing the PS4 release which meant we didn't spend enough time supporting the feature requests from the Xbox community. Now that the PS4 version has launched, we need to make headway on console features.

All of these areas, from 3.7.0 through to the eventual release of 4.0.0, are going to make massive and lasting fundamental improvements to Path of Exile. We have been making great headway and are incredibly excited to show this work when it's ready. However, this has all come at a cost.

While we have released many patches during the 3.6.x cycle to address community concerns, the significant internal development focus on the long term of Path of Exile has meant that we have chosen not to prioritise things like completely overhauling Synthesis or creating an entirely new type of one-month race.

Every week, there are feedback threads about many different topics. The community generally do a great job of constructively presenting reasons for wanting various changes, and we appreciate that.

When given this feedback, we have two options:

Assemble the team of seven key people who are needed to solve the issue, discuss it for half a day, and then lock in the solution, so that we can at least tell the community what our plan is, even if it's a little while before we get to it. An example of this is the when we made large functional and balance changes to Delve based on community feedback. The drawback with doing this is that it derails up to seven important projects that we're working on in order to solve the problem. We have to be selective about which problems we apply this approach to.
    The second option is to read and consider the feedback, and specifically decide to deal with it later. This doesn't mean it isn't going to be done, it just means we are prioritising the existing release we're currently working on. An example is the Map Stash Tabs in Standard situation where we waited a whole league before we solved it. If we had put the time into this solution a league earlier, Synthesis would have been even worse.

Simply put, we can't fix every problem every league. There are going to problems that we don't address quickly. We'll get to them as soon as we can.

A big topic in the gaming industry recently is development crunch. Some studios make their teams work 14 hour days to pack every patch full of the most fixes and improvements possible. Sometimes when we read our own Patch Notes threads and community feedback, we feel that we are being asked to do the same. I will not run this company that way. While there's inevitably a bit of optional paid overtime near league releases, the vast majority of a Path of Exile development cycle has great work/life balance. This is necessary to keep our developers happy and healthy for the long-term, but it does mean that some game improvements will take a while to be made.

We try as hard as we can to communicate with our community about our development priorities. We post daily news and aim for some kind of substantial development update every week. Bex and her team are all over the community posts, passing information back to the developers and seeking answers to questions. However, as I explained earlier, in order to be able to share our firm plans about topics, we have to assemble the right developers, derail their current work and make some time-consuming decisions.

Due to the sheer amount of stuff we've been working on, certain topics have not been addressed to the satisfaction of the community.

I am very sorry about this. One of our key values is our relationship with our community. We feel that our internal emphasis on longer term improvements to Path of Exile has caused some damage to that relationship in the short term. We will make sure that we find a good balance between addressing immediate concerns and making the long-term improvements the game needs.

Later this week, we'll post our first set of answers to the questions from the Q&A. I will make sure that it includes all the hot topics such as Synthesis, trade, console improvements, races, etc.

We can't wait to announce 3.7.0 in three weeks. Its name is on the list.

https://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile...te_from_chris/
    Last edited by Enjeh; 2019-05-02 at 12:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Enjeh View Post
    Spoiler: 
    It doesn't take much reading of the official forums or subreddit to realise that a group of Path of Exile players are angry about a number of topics and feel that we haven't given solid answers about how we're going to address these issues. We will explain as many of these topics as we can in the Q&A that is currently scheduled for later this week. However, one thing that the Q&A doesn't address is how we got here. I wanted to personally post an explanation of what has been going on behind the scenes at Grinding Gear Games that led to this state.

Synthesis was more work than we expected. It was developed over the Christmas holiday, and its gameplay prototype came in very late. We didn't have a lot of time to iterate on it before release or to make drastic changes that it potentially needed. While our improvements after its launch have helped a lot and many players are enjoying it, we fully acknowledge that it is not our best league and is not up to the quality standards that Path of Exile players should expect from us. It will not be merged into the core game in 3.7.0. Maybe we can do something with it in the future, but we have no current plans.

When we reveal 3.7.0 in three weeks, you'll see that its league has a focus on repeatable fun, and the combat revamp has a lot of focus on improving the fundamentals of Path of Exile's gameplay. In order to do this, we have had our heads down, focusing on getting 3.7.0 to be ready as early as we can within its development cycle.

But that's not all we need to work on. There are a large number of critical projects going on at the same time. For a start, our 4.0.0 mega-expansion is taking a huge amount of the company's time. We see this upgrade as critical because the next generation of Action RPGs is coming and we have to be ready. Not proactively keeping up with competitors is how companies die. We don't see the huge time investment in 4.0.0 as optional at all.

In addition to 4.0.0, we've also committed to running the ExileCon convention later this year. You may think that this is a fun optional side project for us, but we see it as critical because we need a stage (literally) to announce 4.0.0 to the world. Talking to other developers has shown us that conventions are by far the best way to market a new product of this size.

Then there's the Korean launch. South Korea is a large market and we feel we are years late to release there. Due to that, we committed with our publisher to release in Korea alongside 3.7.0 and we will meet this commitment, but it's yet another project to handle concurrently.

Then there's various issues with Path of Exile on the console platforms which feel bad about because we have made promises that we haven't yet fulfilled. After the Xbox launch, all of our console resources went into preparing the PS4 release which meant we didn't spend enough time supporting the feature requests from the Xbox community. Now that the PS4 version has launched, we need to make headway on console features.

All of these areas, from 3.7.0 through to the eventual release of 4.0.0, are going to make massive and lasting fundamental improvements to Path of Exile. We have been making great headway and are incredibly excited to show this work when it's ready. However, this has all come at a cost.

While we have released many patches during the 3.6.x cycle to address community concerns, the significant internal development focus on the long term of Path of Exile has meant that we have chosen not to prioritise things like completely overhauling Synthesis or creating an entirely new type of one-month race.

Every week, there are feedback threads about many different topics. The community generally do a great job of constructively presenting reasons for wanting various changes, and we appreciate that.

When given this feedback, we have two options:

Assemble the team of seven key people who are needed to solve the issue, discuss it for half a day, and then lock in the solution, so that we can at least tell the community what our plan is, even if it's a little while before we get to it. An example of this is the when we made large functional and balance changes to Delve based on community feedback. The drawback with doing this is that it derails up to seven important projects that we're working on in order to solve the problem. We have to be selective about which problems we apply this approach to.
    The second option is to read and consider the feedback, and specifically decide to deal with it later. This doesn't mean it isn't going to be done, it just means we are prioritising the existing release we're currently working on. An example is the Map Stash Tabs in Standard situation where we waited a whole league before we solved it. If we had put the time into this solution a league earlier, Synthesis would have been even worse.

Simply put, we can't fix every problem every league. There are going to problems that we don't address quickly. We'll get to them as soon as we can.

A big topic in the gaming industry recently is development crunch. Some studios make their teams work 14 hour days to pack every patch full of the most fixes and improvements possible. Sometimes when we read our own Patch Notes threads and community feedback, we feel that we are being asked to do the same. I will not run this company that way. While there's inevitably a bit of optional paid overtime near league releases, the vast majority of a Path of Exile development cycle has great work/life balance. This is necessary to keep our developers happy and healthy for the long-term, but it does mean that some game improvements will take a while to be made.

We try as hard as we can to communicate with our community about our development priorities. We post daily news and aim for some kind of substantial development update every week. Bex and her team are all over the community posts, passing information back to the developers and seeking answers to questions. However, as I explained earlier, in order to be able to share our firm plans about topics, we have to assemble the right developers, derail their current work and make some time-consuming decisions.

Due to the sheer amount of stuff we've been working on, certain topics have not been addressed to the satisfaction of the community.

I am very sorry about this. One of our key values is our relationship with our community. We feel that our internal emphasis on longer term improvements to Path of Exile has caused some damage to that relationship in the short term. We will make sure that we find a good balance between addressing immediate concerns and making the long-term improvements the game needs.

Later this week, we'll post our first set of answers to the questions from the Q&A. I will make sure that it includes all the hot topics such as Synthesis, trade, console improvements, races, etc.

We can't wait to announce 3.7.0 in three weeks. Its name is on the list.

https://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile...te_from_chris/
    A well thought out reply that actually adresses issues and offers explanations for why things are the way they are?
    Impossible!
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

A well thought out reply that actually adresses issues and offers explanations for why things are the way they are?
    Impossible!
    The best thing that came from this is syndicate not going core. Thank god.

Edit: Honestly though, this is one of the reasons why I like GGG. Chris still giving a fuck about the community and being transparent with it. Him straightup admitting that they have a lot of shit going on in the background, which is why some stuff is lacking and basically admitting that they fucked up... a lot of companies should take a look at how he handles things like this and should start to act similar.
    Last edited by Darleth; 2019-05-02 at 01:58 PM.

*tips m'fedora*

Holy fuck dat feedback.

I literally cannot see how major companies still think their shady ways are better than this. The guy just took it on its hands directly, explained transparently what's happening and why, and admitted that they can do wring things as any other human and fixes/improvements have to be subdued to more important schedules.

They axed Synthesis simply because players weren't happy and there isn't time to make it truly better.

This game has everything. The fact is that it doesn't try to be the best at everything but tries to renew itself over time. Even if you play casually you can return even after years and everything is there for you to enjoy. Hell i play supercasually and i'm clocking around 500 hours on this.

Next league: Frost Blades/cast on crit/Vortex build. Still to decide where to start - maybe Ranger since i never used it.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

10+ Year Old Account
    GREAT Feedback. GGG have one of, if not THE best customer engagement strategies in games right now. Other companies really need to take notes.

That said, the thing I'm most excited about? 3 week till the melee rework details come in! WooT WooT!
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Quote Originally Posted by Coldkil View Post
    Next league: Frost Blades/cast on crit/Vortex build. Still to decide where to start - maybe Ranger since i never used it.
    Probably a pathfinder or raider would work great with that. But I'd still wait for a while until we get more information about general changes about melee.

*tips m'fedora*

Yeah, clap clap but no.

Being a decent human being in the time of exploiting employers is good and all.

But his answer to everything actually game related is simply "We know better than you, stfu about changes to the game, they wont happen".

His whole stance and Q&A the next day is like talking to Blizzard developers.

"We know better, we wont change the game to the outcry and requests , make sure to buy that new MTX"

If the people that make money from streaming your game, start quitting to play other games 10 days into the league after the major rework of spells and you dont see a problem with your design decisions in the Q&A a month after..

Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post
    If the people that make money from streaming your game, start quitting to play other games 10 days into the league after the major rework of spells and you dont see a problem with your design decisions in the Q&A a month after..
    That... had nothing to do with trading or anything else. That was because Synthesis was simply a unfinished league. They ABSOLUTELY shouldn't have put it out like it was, especially since they pretty much rushed it, which they admitted. Also Betrayal mechanics still need work, that much was already said during Betrayal itself. If they would have had more time for synthesis, that would have left them with even more time to actually improve Betrayal more.

There is STILL ongoing discussions on the PoE subreddit about most of the stuff that went on in the Q&A and I do agree that they need to change their stance on some stuff, especially when it comes to trading and player agency. And no, it's definitely not Blizzard developers style of "disagreeing" with anything, it doesn't even come close to the shit that Ion and other people spilled over the past few years and months.

*tips m'fedora*

Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    GREAT Feedback. GGG have one of, if not THE best customer engagement strategies in games right now. Other companies really need to take notes.

That said, the thing I'm most excited about? 3 week till the melee rework details come in! WooT WooT!
    The only difference between that QA and Blizzard's QA was that Chris used a lot of words to say 'No.'
    "It's 2013 and I still view the internet on a 560x192 resolution monitor!"

That... had nothing to do with trading or anything else. That was because Synthesis was simply a unfinished league. They ABSOLUTELY shouldn't have put it out like it was, especially since they pretty much rushed it, which they admitted. Also Betrayal mechanics still need work, that much was already said during Betrayal itself. If they would have had more time for synthesis, that would have left them with even more time to actually improve Betrayal more.

There is STILL ongoing discussions on the PoE subreddit about most of the stuff that went on in the Q&A and I do agree that they need to change their stance on some stuff, especially when it comes to trading and player agency. And no, it's definitely not Blizzard developers style of "disagreeing" with anything, it doesn't even come close to the shit that Ion and other people spilled over the past few years and months.
    As i said, its not about trading or Synthesis, its their overall stance.

Its literally as i said, Blizzard developer logic "We know better and you will have fun".

Its the same thing with everything despite the reddit in the majority, outcry.

As example, Map drops in Syntesis, it was clear from day1/2 for those that leveled that map drops were wrong again,hell it was obvious the first 20 hours when the first level 80 rushers started whining on reddit, their answer ? "No stfu, you are wrong, map drops are fine".

It took them 8 days? and a major grinder streamer to literally say "Yeah they fucked up, i play the same way since maps were introduced and i cant sustain even T12s this league" for them to finally start looking into it and hotfix it.

The game needs major design changes before the new generation of ARPG arrives, Chris himself said so, but their attitude towards the most important for the QoL of the game is so stupid thats its getting tiring.

And they simply have no excuse other than their general answer of "WE KNOW BETTER".

I am not talking about nerfs, i am talking about legitimate concerns, like how Betrayal isnt even account wide yet.

I know the whole "Successful indie company" and "Actual F2P" gives them a lot of defensive attitude on the internet but its the same shit the last 3-4 years, run out of time and excuses to give them.

At least this is my opinion, maybe its skewed because PoE is my secondary game and i refuse to invest more hours than i already do, when they design it for myself when i was 18 years old, but dont misunderstand, i know how to play the game, the math etc, i just refuse to mindlessly grind cause i am not 18 anymore.
    Last edited by potis; 2019-05-04 at 01:58 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Does Tempest Shield count as a "Counter Attack". Was just wondering, because I picked up the Gladiator node which doubles counter attack damage, and was wondering if it's only skills like Riposte, or if Tempest Shield is covered as well.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30