Quote Originally Posted by pahbi View Post
    For a game as mind blowingly complex as poe, its unforgivable that respec isn't free.

GGG is just stubborn beyond belief about doing any quality of life improvements to the game, they still insist you pick up 100000000 scrolls of teleport and identify.

Well, I guess thats not 100% correct, you can get all kinds of quality of life improvements to inventory if you buy them. But you still have to pick up the damn scrolls.
    Respecs are not that hard to come by really.

A lot of things in POE are obtainable based on how well you ascribe value and can use the game systems. That is a huge part of the appeal- the initial harshness is dissolved by player knowledge.

I have seen people respec 70 skill points and run out to a map with killer gear in an hour.

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3324396#9

The Gain Adrenaline for 1 second when you switch stance Mastery seems too strong. Will you change it?
    Yes. The stats for that Mastery are now:

Remove Damaging Ailments when you Change Stance
    Stance Skills have +6 seconds to Cooldown
    rofl

so they fixed the problem they create by literally making this new mechanic complete dogshit. no adrenaline even so the only spec that would get any marginal utility out of it with a 6 second cooldown, champion, has literally no reason to take it even

it's absolutely preferable to the initial implementation and it's on short notice so I imagine we'll get a better solution come next league assuming GGG wants to keep going down this path

But shit I hope not, making stance dancing of a more central mechanic runs the risk of it becoming another annoying part of existing as melee in addition to needing to babysit ancestral totems that tie up like 20-30% of your total damage.
    Last edited by Edge-; 2023-04-04 at 06:04 AM.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost of Cow View Post
    These last few posts remind me of why I was always a bit intimidated by the thought of starting PoE in earnest.

So much time and investment on skills and stats and such that aren't easily changed just so you can find out later that, "Oh, that ability doesn't scale for shit in late game." or "Oh, that ability got nerfed now it's shit in late game." or "Turns out that ability sounded cool but has no synergy, so crap in late game." and now you're useless.

Maybe I exaggerate that in my mind, but it feels like there's all these systems that are designed to trap you into crap builds later, and so you might as well just copy guides and such which throws the concept out the window anyway.
    The game itself is awful at explaining the actual game to you. If you stick to a guide it basically tells you what to look for and simplifies some of finer things for you. After several seasons of this or if you play pretty heavily into that one build you started, you can actually make modifications to the build you were following and actually make it better (in some cases anyway, the guides people write are of varying quality).

PoE is much akin to like a MOBA, except MOBAs are even more punishing because you have to deal with other players while learning. You just sort of flounder in a MOBA and generally suck for a long time until you get comfortable knowing a million little micro things, builds and what characters you enjoy playing. The same knowledge base exists is PoE, but at least you can accelerate that process by 'researching' aspects of the game in your spare time. Most ARPGs aren't really difficult to play, it's mostly about being efficient with your time and knowing what you enjoy.

Jumping into this game with no knowledge base because you've heard it's good whether it be from the internet or friends is probably the worst thing you can do. At the same time, asking people to read what equates to a 10 page written guide and study before league starting is uh a pretty tall ask.

Great game but I think they've personally done a poor job in the last year with the game in regards to seasons. The seasons are hit/miss and aside from, Atlas/balance and a few end game systems, rarely does the new league make its way into the core part of the game. Part of the reason why they probably don't is because there are a million other seasons that have been incorporated into the game and the have a giant reluctance to remove anything that came before (even if newer seasons sort of obsolete the old shit). To each their own, but I think ultimatum (as an example) is just a better version of ritual.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3324396#9

rofl

so they fixed the problem they create by literally making this new mechanic complete dogshit

it's absolutely preferable to the initial implementation and it's on short notice so I imagine we'll get a better solution come next league assuming GGG wants to keep going down this path

But shit I hope not, making stance dancing of a more central mechanic runs the risk of it becoming another annoying part of existing as melee in addition to needing to babysit ancestral totems that tie up like 20-30% of your total damage.
    the new Saboteur Triggerbots also has you paying twice for the triggered skills. Completely useless lmao no one will be rolling sabo for a while
    "It's 2013 and I still view the internet on a 560x192 resolution monitor!"

Quote Originally Posted by NoiseTank13 View Post
    the new Saboteur Triggerbots also has you paying twice for the triggered skills. Completely useless lmao no one will be rolling sabo for a while
    Oh...

https://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile...the_mana_cost/

wowowowowow, GGG just fuckin hates fun, rofl.

Nobody was even looking at that skill as super strong, especially with the predicted dogshit AI/pathing and apparently slow movement speed. It was just a silly set of builds people could have fun with.

RIP Triggerbots and GGG's attempt to make Sab anything but a trap/mine character. We didn't even get to know thee. 2023-2023.

Man, these weapon passive trees had better fuckin be the bees knees for this league. If I wasn't randomly actually struck with the urge to play pathfinder after the rework (I was already kinda thinking about it watching my brother play his "mageblood at home" pathfinder) I'd probably skip this. Just...why can't GGG get out of their own way. Double mana is solvable but such a fuckin huge pain in the dick to solve reasonably for like 30% more damage.

Is it something on my PC or this game has no optimization?

CPU temperature is always high, GPU usage is always at 80% (for no reason since it’s a 6800XT and the game graphics is embarrassing) and every time I open the skill tree the fans start running like crazy.

Is there some tweaking to do apart from playing with everything at low settings?

Quote Originally Posted by chiddie View Post
    Is it something on my PC or this game has no optimization?

CPU temperature is always high, GPU usage is always at 80% (for no reason since it’s a 6800XT and the game graphics is embarrassing) and every time I open the skill tree the fans start running like crazy.

Is there some tweaking to do apart from playing with everything at low settings?
    DX12/Vulcan can selectively have better performance depending on your rig, I think the game defaults to dx11.

But yeah, it's very demanding for odd reasons. It defaults a lot of settings like AA off, but otherwise dropping them further is all you can do.

I think, I'm gonna go Explosive Arrow this league. I am looking forward to sinking my teeth into the game this league. I've only been fiddling around here & there in POE for a few months now.

But, I am ready. EA is my choice. Maybe Champ or Ranger.

With the Pathfinder's new sustain from that Life Flasks are 'enduring' node and 10% of leech being instant, and the new Wither on hit node, I've been pondering if a self-cast Forbidden Rite Pathfinder could work, but I'm not sure how to build for that spell. There's rather little Increased Chaos Damage on the tree (and it's far away from the Ranger start), and the skill scales with life, so is some sort of Iron Will Strength stacking a common or logical way to build for self-casting it? Or does no one play Forbidden Rite without totems?

Maybe I could just go for Projectile Damage (and Spell Damage) rather than Chaos, although I do want a Chaos Mastery or two.. And is it viable simply doing critless hits, or would I need to either invest in crit, or scale poison (or both)?..

A tree for Pledge of Hands.

Now I'm actually getting excited. I get they want to preserve a lot of surprise and shit for the league, but lead with this kind of shit if you're going to talk up the league opening up more build options and then post a set of patchnotes that's mostly just nerfs all the fuckin way down.

Seriously, just highlight a few bonkers interactions and show them off and let folks know the kind of insane builds that might be viable this league as a result.

Now I'm actually getting excited. I get they want to preserve a lot of surprise and shit for the league, but lead with this kind of shit if you're going to talk up the league opening up more build options and then post a set of patchnotes that's mostly just nerfs all the fuckin way down.

Seriously, just highlight a few bonkers interactions and show them off and let folks know the kind of insane builds that might be viable this league as a result.
    For all they're hyping it up I'm just worried that all the good stuff will be excessively rare and it will somehow be a giant disappointment. At least they're tradable unlike sanctum relics, so I'm thinking the smartest thing to do is stick to a build using 1handers so if you need to buy a cheap base with a decent tree already on it, at least you don't need to worry about then having to 6 link it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Respecs are not that hard to come by really.

A lot of things in POE are obtainable based on how well you ascribe value and can use the game systems. That is a huge part of the appeal- the initial harshness is dissolved by player knowledge.

I have seen people respec 70 skill points and run out to a map with killer gear in an hour.
    I suspect they are the minority

Quote Originally Posted by pahbi View Post
    I suspect they are the minority
    That is the promise of the game design though. The developers of Path of Exile have said they want the game to reward player knowledge and skill.

GGG decided to create a game by design to not cater to the sort of player put off by this barrier. I can't recall the exact wording Chris Wilson used but in an interview with Josh Strife Hayes, Wilson said GGG decided the type of player overwhelmed by the systems of POE are not their audience.

Not every band is aiming to play So-fi Stadium or MSG. Some are cool to play the Double Door or the Acheron.

don't fall for the 'check out this awesome loot in this league, you'll never see it!' posts

Quote Originally Posted by NoiseTank13 View Post
    don't fall for the 'check out this awesome loot in this league, you'll never see it!' posts
    I'm...kinda warming up to the idea, honestly.

GGG's biggest historic problem was permanent power creep that they're still trying to unwind in the leadup to PoE2. If they're operating how I think they are, their new approach is to try to get a fairly locked "core" of skills and items and whatnot and try to get that into a decent enough spot, with each league existing as temporary power creep that largely disappears at the end of the league. Allows them to add all kinds of different types of power creep and experiment without longterm ramifications.

Just will require players wrap their heads around this and understand that leagues are more likely to be temporary rather than permanent additions to a game that's already grown in size and complexity quite considerably and at a rate that's honestly not sustainable in the longterm.

I'm hoping for some juicy trees and combinations. A lot of the best item showcases have been in leagues like Scourge where you had a nice mix of absolutely hilarious memes/trash items and some super rare, unethically powerful items.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    The only thing that concerns me is how often stuff like that appears. I still remember scourge league weightings on certain things appearing and it was pretty abysmal odds of getting any of the good ones. At the very least it probably unlikely that they brick your build that much lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    The only thing that concerns me is how often stuff like that appears. I still remember scourge league weightings on certain things appearing and it was pretty abysmal odds of getting any of the good ones. At the very least it probably unlikely that they brick your build that much lol.
    Kinda depends how complicated your build is. There's a lot of stuff that relies on specific breakpoints etc that could get gimped pretty easily by getting random modifiers on your weapon... but I guess you can just leave the weapon tree unallocated in those cases though.

But it's now confirmed that there's going to be merged tree only skills, so have fun with that RNG.

I'm hoping for some juicy trees and combinations. A lot of the best item showcases have been in leagues like Scourge where you had a nice mix of absolutely hilarious memes/trash items and some super rare, unethically powerful items.
    I do like a good item showcase, but at some point I'd also like to get these really cool things myself and not just watch like 0.01% of other players get them. Especially if it's only going to last 1 league and be dropped.

Quote Originally Posted by Trifle View Post
    I do like a good item showcase, but at some point I'd also like to get these really cool things myself and not just watch like 0.01% of other players get them. Especially if it's only going to last 1 league and be dropped.
    I feel you. Despite doing a fair amount of Sanctum I only got a few really generic/medicore sanctified relics which felt super lame. Tons of cool ones getting posted and some legit build-enabling ones, but meanwhile I get like a bonus to evasion...wheeeeeeee.

I love the game, but GGG is very intentional with the type of audience they want playing it. And it kinda continually feels like I'm less and less of that audience : /