Page 1 of 3
LastLast

May we have a game manual please?

I know this seems to be an outdated concept these days, but games in the past used to come with awesome explanatory game manuals delving into all aspects of a game and sometimes with some cool lore to read about. I like to open up a book and read a good overview of classes, game features, tips and especially lore; does anyone know if GW2 comes with one? Ty.

Deleted
    I thought ArenaNet said they would make a downloadable manual to read on the computer, might be misstaken though, might be for those who bought the game on the internet, and not the physical game.
    Last edited by mmoc78d225b3dd; 2012-07-04 at 01:09 PM.

It's been forever since I opened up my GW boxes so I'm not sure if the older games used them but something makes me doubt that any sort of sufficient manual would be present. More and more games are moving toward in-game or online tutorials to educate their playerbase. In both cases it's more affordable because you eliminate another expenditure (manual text writing, graphical elements, design, printing, collating, binding, etc).

Additionally moving away from a physical manual means that when things become obsolete you no longer have confusing and sometimes contradictory information presented to your players. I want to say that the World of Warcraft manual made references to things (in Vanilla) that no longer existed by the time the game actually launched... but I could be mistaken.

For what you want to read though I would say any GW2 resource site would be sufficient. If you have a tablet device you may even be able to use various apps for loading those resources offline so you can peruse lore more at your leisure instead of staring at your monitor.

i have to agree with the op. The game manual was a very important aspect to me in the day. it was what i did for the first few poops after i get a new game. Unfortunately game manual have shrunk down to a flyer with a website link. sorta sucks.

It doesn't even have to be too accurate. vanilla wows manual said druids could sue spears. which didnt happen for many years. Would be nice to have a manual with a summary of the lore from previous games.
    Last edited by Binaris; 2012-07-04 at 01:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Binaris View Post
    i have to agree with the op. The game manual was a very important aspect to me in the day. it was what i did for the first few poops after i get a new game. Unfortunately game manual have shrunk down to a flyer with a website link. sorta sucks.
    LOL me too!

Quote Originally Posted by ragnarokvr1 View Post
    I know this seems to be an outdated concept these days, but games in the past used to come with awesome explanatory game manuals delving into all aspects of a game and sometimes with some cool lore to read about. I like to open up a book and read a good overview of classes, game features, tips and especially lore; does anyone know if GW2 comes with one? Ty.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/User_interface

at the end of that page theres links for other things in the game

Deleted
    The first unveiling of Super Mario World and its epic manual, damn makes me wet just thinking about it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ragnarokvr1 View Post
    LOL me too!
    Lol'd irl aswell :P

I'd expect an optional download, or it to be included in the release patch or whatever.

In boxes it's pretty much standard, so...

Printed manuals are like fax machines. They are still around but they are outdated and their days are numbered. I'd get used to that if I were you because I don't see any reason for them to make a glorious return to prominence. It's just cheaper and easier to do a digital manual.

Quote Originally Posted by Eiserne Drossel View Post
    I thought ArenaNet said they would make a downloadable manual to read on the computer, might be misstaken though, might be for those who bought the game on the internet, and not the physical game.
    I don't think they are releasing a disc, I could be wrong, but I was thinking if you buy a box, you buy a code...

Can anyone verify that?

Quote Originally Posted by Pickynerd View Post
    I don't think they are releasing a disc, I could be wrong, but I was thinking if you buy a box, you buy a code...

Can anyone verify that?
    i can verify that, i bought 1 Digital deluxe from Anet, and bought 2 normal from a Amazon, and on the boxes from Amazon they say you will have to download the game the box only send a code nothing else

10+ Year Old Account
    DEATHHHH, LMAOO, but that'd be cool to still get one for the physical copies. I know I got one with GW: Prophecies and usually their manuals have like in-depth lore stories and explanations which are a really cool thing to read or know.

Seems a worthless and out of date feature. I reckon the physical copy may come with one of those little insert thingies at most.

Physical copy PC games are kinda out of date too.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2012-07-05 at 02:42 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Physical copy PC games are kinda out of date too.
    Fencers and EA sitting in a tree....

Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    Fencers and EA sitting in a tree....

Where do you even buy PC games?

I rarely see them displayed anywhere except like Best Buy. Where the majority of PC titles on the shelf are of the Detective Grandma's Mystery Case Files or Dora the Explorer's Journey into Long Form Division variety.

Gamestop? I have seen only the occasional Diablo/Starcraft/Warcraft battle chests and perhaps a handful of 2-3 year old PC games on a single shelf. In the back.

No. I don't think physical PC games are worth the 0.10$ cost of DVD pressing anymore.

By the way, Larry says hi.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Where do you even buy PC games?
    Was more so referring to EA's new plan of going 100% digital.

I just find it rather facepalmable when their PR paints it as it "being inevitable so they are trying to speed up the process" like they're some kind of innovator, when in reality all they want to do is cut out the retailer % so they can make more money on "Unoriginal Franchise Sequel 15".

I wonder if anyone actually has a big collection of game manuals out there. That be interesting to see.
    "If you want to control people, if you want to feed them a pack of lies and dominate them, keep them ignorant. For me, literacy means freedom." - LaVar Burton.

Of course, considering the way things are going, it won't be long before American ISPs are charging by the gb. Being force to do digital downloads will become a definite issue at that point. Why buy a game if you have to wait for the next months bandwidth allocation to play it.

Anybody remember the FF3 (for SNES) manual? That thing was a novel.

hell yeah. the game play section crap is useless but I love the lore excerpts in manuals. FF3 had a nice one from what I remember