Uncalled for FPS?

Hey all, with the Steam Summer Sale here, I purchased the THQ pack. One of the reasons for this was for Saint's Row: The Third. This is currently the only game that I have unplayable FPS on, and was wondering if it was my computer or if it was the game.

Processor: AMD 6100 6-core @ 3.3
    Video Card: GTX 560ti
    8 gigs of RAM

If you need any more specs, just let me know. My main concern is that my computer, which I built myself, is already out-dated. According to 'Can you run it?' I should be playing this game without any issues.

Already updated my drivers, tried playing on DX9, no change in performance. Tried playing on low settings with a low screen resolution. No budge.

Any input as to why I'm getting 4-8fps?

http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=2514606

Try this.

Fix for bulldozer cpu with steam CEG games.

While your performance on a CPU heavy game like SR3 isn't going to be anything stellar with a FX processor, it shouldn't be that low. What other games are you able to play with decent performance? What drivers are you currently using? What power supply do you have?

---------- Post added 2012-07-18 at 02:43 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by ayako View Post
    http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=2514606

Try this.

Fix for bulldozer cpu with steam CEG games.
    Do NOT follow the directions in that link. That's a BIOS mod for specific motherboards that can easily brick your system. Not to mention the FX fixes have been implemented long ago.
    Last edited by glo; 2012-07-18 at 02:43 AM.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    While your performance on a CPU heavy game like SR3 isn't going to be anything stellar with a FX processor, it shouldn't be that low. What other games are you able to play with decent performance? What drivers are you currently using? What power supply do you have?

Do NOT follow the directions in that link. That's a BIOS mod for specific motherboards that can easily brick your system.
    He's using a bulldozer cpu, so it should fix the bad performance.

He can also try updating his bios first, to see if that fixes it.

It will only BSOD on an intel system.

This is not a BIOS mod. You are confused with http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...lldozer-issue&

http://forums.steamgames.com/forums/...69&postcount=2
    Last edited by ayako; 2012-07-18 at 02:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post

Do NOT follow the directions in that link. That's a BIOS mod for specific motherboards that can easily brick your system. Not to mention the FX fixes have been implemented long ago.
    I can play Skyrim on max settings at 60fps.
    Darksiders, Portal, Assassin's Creed: Revelations, WoW, Minecraft, Left 4 Dead 1&2, Civ 5, Borderlands, SW:TOR, all on max settings with no lag.

Using the Nvidia driver 301.42

I have a 550W power supply
    Edit: 550W, not 500W
    Last edited by Ciano; 2012-07-18 at 03:09 AM.

cant belive you put "Minecraft" in there.. :P

but yeah sainths row is a REAL REALY hungry game for the pc if you play on high settings...

i think the coding is not the best

i can play bf3 but sainths row my pc does not play as smooth as bf3 ... :P

Quote Originally Posted by Ciano View Post
    I can play Skyrim on max settings at 60fps.
    Darksiders, Portal, Assassin's Creed: Revelations, WoW, Minecraft, Left 4 Dead 1&2, Civ 5, Borderlands, SW:TOR, all on max settings with no lag.

Using the Nvidia driver 301.42

I have a 550W power supply
    Edit: 550W, not 500W
    So does the fix work?

that game and everything on high w/vsync on, it should rarely drop below 60fps

you've got something set up wrong. it's either got an unstable OC and it's reverting to 2d mode (been happening with nvidia cards for over 2 years, all drivers), your cores are all parked (that alone wouldnt' be your problem), or you have a heat or power problem

6100 isn't the best CPU out there, it's more than enough to play the games that are on this planet right now and the 560ti is a very underrated card.

Quote Originally Posted by ayako View Post
    So does the fix work?
    I'm not too confident in trying that after what Glo said. Is this the only fix? What are the risks?

I'll also mention that Total Shogun War 2 stops at the loading screen, so I can't actually play it.

Quote Originally Posted by Uselessrouge View Post
    cant belive you put "Minecraft" in there.. :P

but yeah sainths row is a REAL REALY hungry game for the pc if you play on high settings...

i think the coding is not the best

i can play bf3 but sainths row my pc does not play as smooth as bf3 ... :P
    Minecraft does take a bit of power to run well, depending on what you're doing. I'd be afraid to try a mile long trail of TNT on my old PC...

Deleted
    Not to hijack your thread or anything, but my machine is similar to yours, my Card though is GTX550 ti.
    I have had the exact same problem with CoD MW3 I got via Steam sale. It is the only game I'm having any issues with FPS wise..
    BF3, Arkham City, WoW, Skyrim and Dead Island all play totaly perfect on high settings.. Just that damn MW3 is causing me problems >.<

Quote Originally Posted by Ciano View Post
    I'm not too confident in trying that after what Glo said. Is this the only fix? What are the risks?

I'll also mention that Total Shogun War 2 stops at the loading screen, so I can't actually play it.
    He's wrong.

Try updating your bios from your manufacturer's web site first.