Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ...
    Deleted
    How could we prove that when we do this that we don't just die and a copy of us is created?

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't know bout y'all but once I've reached a ripe old age, I'd rather die than keep on living. I'd experienced enough for myself at that point.

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even five hundred would be pretty nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Drakain View Post
    Heh. Well, I immediately see a problem with the underlying concept. Sorry, folks, but the brain ages, too. People don't grow senile because they have liver spots.... or do they?
    Yea, the Neurons in brain do not reproduce and it says by the age of 50 you can feel your brain shrinked.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neuron

---------- Post added 2012-07-29 at 06:20 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Drekmen View Post
    How could we prove that when we do this that we don't just die and a copy of us is created?
    That's the question for teleportation. The brain here is not copied but transfered.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcivmBojzVk
    Last edited by Deepsidedj; 2012-07-29 at 06:20 PM.
    That guy (>'.')>

WoW Cinematics : WotLK>WoD=MoP>Vanilla=Cataclysm>TBC

Not only scam, but they will kill that poor billionaire lol

Quote Originally Posted by semaphore View Post
    Not really, no. It's difficult to measure, but I would say progress is at best constant. Do you have any idea how fast exponential growth actually is? I realise its a common moniker, but once again, consider the predictions being made half a century ago. A youtube video about information technology proves nothing.
    The final stage of any field of study before it really takes off is to move it to an information technology. Proof of this can be seen with the mapping of the human genome. Kurzweil predicted that it would be done within a few years, the skeptics had said that it would take well beyond our lifetimes since by then only 1% of it had been completed, but he said yes well we are almost done because we only need 7 doublings to finish and sure enough it did exactly that. The skeptics did not account for rapidly improving IT.

it really is exponential. It's not really something you can argue against. The Youtube video I linked is just an introduction. I could have also posted hundreds of other references, but I'll leave that to you. Read Kurzweil's latest book. He has countless graphs of different areas of society and technology that clearly show that history has followed an exponential curve. And its actually doubly exponential in many places.

I think immortality would be more of a curse than a blessing. I want to live out my life, see my kids grow up, make my girlfriend as happy as I possibly can, and then rest for eternity.

Billionaires are already trying to figure this out. Not all, and I would image not many. But I would be extremely surprised if there were no billionaires without "scientists" already on their payroll who were trying to figure out artificial ways to extend life.

Who do you think pays scientists that design/create/invent any of the new technology? Rich people and/or companies that are run by rich people.

so breaking news!! If this was ever possible, the first people to figure out how to do this will be the richest people on the planet!

---------- Post added 2012-07-30 at 08:32 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfsage View Post
    Mind uploading and personality transfer? That will only be a replica, not really you.
    Pretty much this. Would be just like "The 6th Day" The new life/clone/robot would contain your memories but would not be you. You would still die and either know you are dying or would be killed as part of the process. Either way, you would end.