Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    This thread is way off , there is really no jew stereotype what so ever , mob stereo most likely , not that im saying that jews are not in the mob but to cut it down to just them is very off , i myself is from new york hells kitchen area in brooklyn and the goblins portray a mob like mental even in the comments and and jokes that they say , for instance one joke goes like this , when in doubt..... blow it up . also hence they are part of the bilgewater cartel, and what is a cartel you ask its another name for a ring of a mob influenced sector. also hence gallywix is known as the boss.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by senchae3 View Post
    I'd like to ask something, since we are talking about a religion, which is a system of beliefs and not a race of people, can you tell me what a stereotypical christian looks like just to use an example? I would have thought since all the jews ran to america from eastern europe during world war 2 that its more fair to say thats what eastern europeans look like rather than jews since eastern european people can breed traits unlike religion. Just something this thread made me have a ponder about and I thought id throw it out there
    I guess the most stereotypical christian based theme would go to humans and there obsession with the holy light, building giant churches and cathedrals, and enforcing there belief in the light onto others to the point any other belief is heresy.
    #boycottchina

10+ Year Old Account
    Humans = British(Middle/Dark ages)
    Dwarves = Irish/Scottish(speech)
    Gnomes = ?
    Night Elves = ?
    Dranei = ?
    Worgen = ?
    Orcs = African-American
    Trolls = Jamaican
    Blood Elves = French/High class British
    Tauren = Native Americans
    Forsaken = ?(Homless people in general?)
    Goblins = Italian-Mobster - Or Jersey-Mobster(as pointed out in a previous post by Maleficia)
    Pandaren = (Ancient)Chinese
    The ones with question marks are ones I can't really make a connection to a real world Culture/nationality. Just my $0.02.

Stereotypes are something funny (or to be made fun of) since any person who resembles a stereotype (or wants to be one) is kind of silly.

Goblins are portrayed as very selfish and evil, which i do not think is stereotypical of jews - as far as i know their religion actually asks of every able jew to "help a brother out" if a fellow jew is down (in a business kind of way i guess?), so i do not think goblins are a jewish stereotype.

Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    I guess the most stereotypical christian based theme would go to humans and there obsession with the holy light, building giant churches and cathedrals, and enforcing there belief in the light onto others to the point any other belief is heresy.
    But what i mean was a physical stereotype, like and I'm not being horrible but with jews its the big nose and nasal voice usually with a small build or not very athletic, I dont think any other religion gets a physical stereotype because of their religious beliefs like the american jewish do.

worgen= new zealand
    night= other then there dances most likely japanese cuze of there building structures
    dreanai= israel slighly middle eastern
    gnomes= typical nerd

10+ Year Old Account
    I thought they were supposed to be based on an Italian American stereotype.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ironik View Post
    Humans = British(Middle/Dark ages)
    Gnomes = ?
    Night Elves = ?
    Dranei = ?
    Worgen = ?
    Orcs = African-American
    Trolls = Jamaican
    Blood Elves = French/High class British
    Tauren = Native Americans
    Forsaken = ?(Homless people in general?)
    Goblins = Italian-Mobster - Or Jersey-Mobster(as pointed out in a previous post by Maleficia)
    Pandaren = (Ancient)Chinese
    The ones with question marks are ones I can't really make a connection to a real world Culture/nationality. Just my $0.02.
    You're reading to much into these things. Consider:

- Blizzard creates a new race. They have to give them some kind of unique identity, and it has to be funny/interesting.
    - Every (real world) ethnic group has its own identity, and other groups tend to stereotype this. Stereotypes tend to be funny/exaggerated.

In short, when Blizzard creates a new race it would be near impossible for them to avoid all overlap with stereotypical real world ethnic groups. Because a) there are so many ethnic groups, and b) they both try to be funny.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ironik View Post
    speech...

Brewfest anyone?

Deleted
    I always thought Goblins were typical mafia dudes....but Jewish? Lol to that.
    I see more and more of threads on such topics ( racism etc ) and concerns that in the "real" world nobody cares, because everyone is minding their own business.
    Some people....have too much time on their hand.

I've always seen that similarity to how Jewish folks are portrayed in sitcoms and Goblins. But it really is no different or worse than Trolls and Jamaicans.

It's caricaturizing cultures. Nothing wrong with that if you're not offending anyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

K this is how i see the races of wow

Human - Generic american/english
    Dwarf - Scottish/Irish
    Gnomes - steampunk victorian english/american
    Worgen - british/cockney london
    Dranaei - Russian
    Nelf - japanese mixed with greek
    Orcs - Mongolian barbarian
    Troll - Jamaican/African
    Tauren - Native American
    Belf - Persian with posh english mannerism
    Undead - gothic mary shelly esque mid victorian english
    Goblin - New jersey italian american i wouldnt say jewish but people will always associate there gold grasping ways which is anti semitic to me

Pandarean - obviously chinese in culture i wouldnt say japanese cause the chinese secret service will kill me lol
    Last edited by yetgdhfgh; 2012-07-21 at 12:16 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    To me Goblins seem to act much more like Italian mobsters or like characters straight out of Scarface(if Scarface had many, many more explosions). In that culture money = power, which is also the goblin way of life, and when you view their Cartel system, which seems to run very much like the Mafia or any other money laundering, loan shark-ing(me and making up phrases today) organization, it becomes pretty obvious that they are, for all intents and purposes, gangsters. So to answer your question, no i do not believe goblins are a parody of Jewish people, I believe they are a short, green, money hungry reference to organized crime

They act like mobsters or trash from Jersey, but their look definitely reminds me of nazi caricatures.

Yeah i would have to say goblins are meant to be crooked backstabbing gangster hustlers

reason why they gave them American Italian mafioso accents in cata before that they seem to have just normal hard to describe goblin accents

just because they love gold doesnt equate them to being jewish stereotypes

Deleted
    I'd rather go with Italian Mob type. Goblins being small are stronger when they practice organized crime. Their starting zones already dug heavily into the mob aspect.
    Also they are very science oriented (as in explosives).

I don't see any jewish aspect in them.

I'd say more italian-american stereotype. Stereotypes in WoW are actually pretty ridiculous sometimes. When I first saw Pygmys, I was like "Oh shit. What's next? Blackface race?"

BTW There's nothing "Russian" about Draenei. Even their accent is more Greek then Russian.
    The night is dark and full of terrors...

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Combooticus View Post
    K this is how i see the races of wow

Human - Generic american/english
    Dwarf - Scottish/Irish
    Gnomes - steampunk victorian english/american
    Worgen - british/cockney london
    Dranaei - Russian
    Nelf - japanese mixed with greek
    Orcs - Mongolian barbarian
    Troll - Jamaican/African
    Tauren - Native American
    Belf - Persian with posh english mannerism
    Undead - gothic mary shelly esque mid victorian english
    Goblin - New jersey italian american i wouldnt say jewish but people will always associate there gold grasping ways which is anti semitic to me
    Pandarean - obviously chinese
    This is what I´d say. Ok some races aren´t really phrased like I´d do, but they fit for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
    Yeah, considering who Commander Schnottz represents, how come he is a Goblin if this was true?
    Hitler was half Jewish, iirc.
    Pokemon Y / Pokemon OR
    Friendcode: 0791-2124-3938 (IGN: Michiel)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by namelessone View Post
    I'd say more italian-american stereotype. Stereotypes in WoW are actually pretty ridiculous sometimes. When I first saw Pygmys, I was like "Oh shit. What's next? Blackface race?"

BTW There's nothing "Russian" about Draenei. Even their accent is more Greek then Russian.
    Goblins don't have italian accents which usually tends to finish every word with -e. They're the most american based race in the game.

Draenei are clearly a mix of Russian and Arabian.
    Night Elves are the only ones who comes even remotes close to anything Greek, it's mostly just the ancient Night Elves who are based on Greek.
    Forsaken are based on nazis, Garrosh is based on Stalin.

Quote Originally Posted by darkhellion View Post
    worgen= new zealand
    night= other then there dances most likely japanese cuze of there building structures
    dreanai= israel slighly middle eastern
    gnomes= typical nerd
    Pretty sure Worgen is British. Other stuff seems reasonable enough, though the Japanese night elf is a very weak connection.

Now, I'm not american, but I don't think they are stereotypes of jews. The Stereotype Jew works together with other jews, and goblins don't have any sort of racial connection with each other. Rather, I think they are a "gangster race".