Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

What if PVP had no stats?

The following would apply to World PVP, Battlegrounds, Arena, Rated Battlegrounds... everything PVP related.

What if stats had 0 effect during PVP fights?

> Health pools were at base.
    > Attack damage was at base.
    > Spells were base
    > Defenses were at base.

Most PVP games, the only upgrades you can buy (outside of the arena) is usually aesthetic upgrades (take Halo for example)... or minor upgrades, like obtaining a PVP trinket...

What if WoW went with this model? Would PVP be more fun knowing it was a pure skill game instead of time investment into gear game? Add realm leader boards , and WvW leader boards... etc...

I think it would be a lot easier to balance PVP if you knew EXACTLY how much everyone would be doing, regardless of them finding some sneaky way to find a PVE upgrade or something... or season 1 players facing off against season 3 geared players.. etc..

Opinions?

thats what the tournament realm is for. everyone has the same gear, skill only
    ggg

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentshank View Post
    Yes I'm aware.. but what if this was applied to the regular realms?? Every day PVP for the every day player?

then people bad at pvp would be doing the same thing as your avatar

GW did pvp like that. And at its prime, was more of an esport than WOW ever was

Quote Originally Posted by Nosonia View Post
    Yes I'm aware.. but what if this was applied to the regular realms?? Every day PVP for the every day player?

Then I'd say a decent number of people wouldn't PvP.

I know a lot of people hit up PvP just for some filler gear in PvE.
    And it would be one less filler activity.
    Imagine if they did that for PvE? What would be the point in raiding then?

Remember-- WoW is about content and loots

Deleted
    It is almost like that already, you get everything except the best weapons just by doing bgs / playing on 1k rating on arena. They should change the PvP to what you suggested (making gear free) or then bring back rating requirements like it was in wotlk and tbc. I saw no problem with rating requirements back then, though now gear makes a much bigger difference. Would be fun if they could make the gear matter less in PvP and put rating requirements back, as it was in the past, when I enjoyed PvP much more.

If it applied to all pvp it would be bad.

If it applied to say arena only, then it wouldn't be a bad idea.

That woud make random PvP pointless. If you want to match skill to skill go do the tournament. otherwise he who has better toys should have an edge or else there is no reason to keep working for better stuff.

Pvp will only be balanced once racials become cosmetic only and PVE items are barred from pvp (such as legendary daggers)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Barpig View Post
    That woud make random PvP pointless. If you want to match skill to skill go do the tournament. otherwise he who has better toys should have an edge or else there is no reason to keep working for better stuff.
    You wouldn't be working for better stuff.. you'd be working for better rating on leader boards...

In Halo, SC2, League of Legends, many other PVP games.. you do not play for the gear.. you play because

1) its fun
    2) its fun
    3) you enjoy playing because its fun and balanced
    4) you want a better rating, because its fun

Right now.. its a grind.. you're playing because you need better gear..but once you get the gear.. why play? There's no reason? You have everything... but once your mind is set that "gear is not why I am here".. the game becomes a lot more fun..

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by cityguy193 View Post
    What. Was there ever a GW PvP tournament? At all? Do you remember the amount of events, teams, and coverage that were tied to WoW arena back in TBC and, to a certain extent, WotLK?

Quote Originally Posted by cityguy193 View Post
    I don't recall any Guild Wars tournaments (But then again I never paid much attention), care to give me some links to live tournaments?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nosonia View Post
    You wouldn't be working for better stuff.. you'd be working for better rating on leader boards...

In Halo, SC2, League of Legends, many other PVP games.. you do not play for the gear.. you play because

1) its fun
    2) its fun
    3) you enjoy playing because its fun and balanced
    4) you want a better rating, because its fun

Right now.. its a grind.. you're playing because you need better gear..but once you get the gear.. why play? There's no reason? You have everything... but once your mind is set that "gear is not why I am here".. the game becomes a lot more fun..
    We already have "no stats" in rated PVP. None who play competitive Arena/RBG's have anything less than full cataclysmic with full epic gems.

When it comes to random bg's, no just no! It's a terrible idea for more than 5 good reasons!
    1: Hello 30+ minute queue!
    2: Damage/healing would be very predictable and boring.
    3: Everyone will be equal so why even bother with randoms when you can just go rated and actually get rewarded and still have the same amount of fun?
    4: Bad people will be bad! Baddies are no longer carried by gear and therefor they become an even heavier burden than they already are.
    5: Because of the 4 points above, none will join the queue and therefor- Hello 60 minute queue!

edit: 6: RNG JESUS on crit damage/heal -.-
    Last edited by mmoc098be2d235; 2012-07-22 at 04:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeavline View Post
    We already have "no stats" in rated PVP. None who play competitive Arena/RBG's have anything less than full cataclysmic with full epic gems.

When it comes to random bg's, no just no! It's a terrible idea for more than 5 good reasons!
    1: Hello 30+ minute queue!
    2: Damage/healing would be very predictable and boring.
    3: Everyone will be equal so why even bother with randoms when you can just go rated and actually get rewarded and still have the same amount of fun?
    4: Bad people will be bad! Baddies are no longer carried by gear and therefor they become an even heavier burden than they already are.
    5: Because of the 4 points above, none will join the queue and therefor- Hello 60 minute queue!

edit: 6: RNG JESUS on crit damage/heal -.-
    Yeah pretty much what I was thinking. Not to mention the fact that many specs and classes would be totally screwed by not having the stats they need (such as crit procs, or haste getting a certain spell under a certain cast time, or other things).
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0H3-N9zoI5c Amazing video of 60+ devilsaurs raiding Undercity!

My God, what a horrible creation. People seeing what they want? Thank God they tried to shy away from that. I know it pisses me off when I'm in an heroic raid, yet in the back of my head all I can think is 'some casual player is playing a heroic dungeon and not wiping.' -Vodkarn

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentshank View Post
    Incorrect there is no skill aspect to pvp anymore there are skilled players then there are player who play Fotm classes.

a) it is already similar to what you describe. Someone playing 30 minutes per day and someone playing 10 hours per day below 2.2k will eventually have the very same gear.
    b) time investment to the game should contribute into gaining an advantage
    c) imo there should be even more pvp gear to allow for strategy customization. If you are going to make talent decisions matter in MoP why not make gear decisions and reforge decisions matter as well?

Then PvP might actually not be as much of a joke as it is now.

Some other things that would need to happen would be the removal of racials from PvP, and a serious attempt at balancing PvP (which would probably involve separating PvP and PvE)

Anyways, I've run this idea by the "skilled" and "experienced" players of the WoW official forums many times before. They just flame and troll you all day long and there's no point in trying to change their mindset. This is the biggest reason why I quit WoW and plan to move on to GW2 when it is released. Much like GW, the developers actually put a lot of effort into PvP.
    Last edited by Larynx; 2012-07-22 at 04:48 PM.

Silly, whats the point of gearing up and stuff then. Its RPG not FPS game.

Deleted
    I'd assume that approx. 99% of the players that attend battle grounds do it either for the gear or to steamroll low-geared players in full T2, because they can't properly pvp and thus don't eben bother RBG/Arena.

If you nullified the gear-aspect, you'd have found the easiest way to completely kill casual Pvp.