Where can I get a more current guide? I noticed that the one from page one was last edited in January.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Badahs View Post
    Where can I get a more current guide? I noticed that the one from page one was last edited in January.
    Icy veins has a nice guide, approved by Theck:

http://www.icy-veins.com/protection-...pve-tank-guide

Tankspot has a good guide written by Fetzie:

http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.p...539#post557539

Elitist jerks have an interesting one written by Wrathblood:

http://elitistjerks.com/f76/t133101-prot_5_4_ef_you/

They are all up to date and while more discerning readers may disagree, my impression is that they are in very close agreement on points of importance, so it probably doesn't matter which one you pick.

10+ Year Old Account
    Only the first 2 posts haven't been edited since January, because nothing changed. The third post where things DID change, was edited more recently. I need to make changes to the first and second post that are as a result of 5.4 but I've been sorting out "back to university" stuff and actually was able to log on last night for the first time. Even then, the changes I have to make are literally the occasional word or 1 talent.

Not much has changed for us since January, which was when everything was finally worked out. If you want more regular updates you can have them if it makes you feel better, but it won't be a content one - it'll be changing "While" to "Whilst" or "You will" to "You'll".

Once I finish up this lab report I'll amend the vengeance section and change a few words in the talents to reflect the recent changes. Same goes for glyphs. Will add in a note on how the 15% expertise is not an absolute requirement. Now if you consider that those are the only things that have changed in the past 9 months other than Holy Prism and Divine Purpose overtaking Lights Hammer and Holy Avenger for general tanking... you'll understand the lack of updates. I'm not going to fill it with the latest tank ideas and thoughts, that's been kept on the discussion front since the beginning. No point overloading information.

Edit: Just had a quick flick through whilst I'm trying to work out what I'm missing in this lab report. Will add a note about legendary gems and cloaks which I believe are missing, or maybe I'm blind.
    Last edited by MerinPally; 2013-10-09 at 04:03 PM.
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...nicus/advanced
    Quote Originally Posted by goblinpaladin View Post
    Also a vegetable is a person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I dont care if they [gays] are allowed to donate [blood], but I think we should have an option to refuse gay blood if we need to receive blood.

Quote Originally Posted by econ21 View Post
    Icy veins has a nice guide, approved by Theck:

http://www.icy-veins.com/protection-...pve-tank-guide

Tankspot has a good guide written by Fetzie:

http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.p...539#post557539

Elitist jerks have an interesting one written by Wrathblood:

http://elitistjerks.com/f76/t133101-prot_5_4_ef_you/

They are all up to date and while more discerning readers may disagree, my impression is that they are in very close agreement on points of importance, so it probably doesn't matter which one you pick.
    Thank you

on a related note. I got the flex tier chest and world boss tier legs for prot. Should I have gone with the ret versions instead? ie. are the 2 and 4 set bonuses for prot good?

10+ Year Old Account
    Thank you

on a related note. I got the flex tier chest and world boss tier legs for prot. Should I have gone with the ret versions instead? ie. are the 2 and 4 set bonuses for prot good?
    Yes. Our set bonuses are great. You'll want the Hat Shoulders Chest Gloves and then your legs as the offpiece.
    I dont care if they [gays] are allowed to donate [blood], but I think we should have an option to refuse gay blood if we need to receive blood.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    Yes. Our set bonuses are great. You'll want the Hat Shoulders Chest Gloves and then your legs as the offpiece.
    Why legs as offpiece, could you tell me which ones are you planning to use? The head off Galakras seems to be the most well itemized item for prot (http://www.wowhead.com/item=103892) ?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimord View Post
    Why legs as offpiece, could you tell me which ones are you planning to use? The head off Galakras seems to be the most well itemized item for prot (http://www.wowhead.com/item=103892) ?
    http://www.wowhead.com/item=105640

Is what I was thinking. Our tier hat has Haste and Parry and our tier legs have Dodge and Mastery. Unless you're at the haste cap (which may well be the case) then surely the offpiece legs > offpiece hat. After that point then sure swap. Also, you get an extra socket. I've only been looking at loot tables since about 2am this morning so I may well be wrong, but for the majority of tanks I doubt they're all getting to the 21250 mark just yet. Even then at the top level, depends how much mastery you're looking for and how the rest of your gear is.

Legs just struck me first as the one with the better alternative than the hat If I'm on my own with that one when I put it in the guide I'll reflect the majority. You guys have been looking at this for longer than I have.

Thanks again

http://www.wowhead.com/item=105640

Is what I was thinking. Our tier hat has Haste and Parry and our tier legs have Dodge and Mastery. Unless you're at the haste cap (which may well be the case) then surely the offpiece legs > offpiece hat. After that point then sure swap. Also, you get an extra socket. I've only been looking at loot tables since about 2am this morning so I may well be wrong, but for the majority of tanks I doubt they're all getting to the 21250 mark just yet. Even then at the top level, depends how much mastery you're looking for and how the rest of your gear is.

Legs just struck me first as the one with the better alternative than the hat If I'm on my own with that one when I put it in the guide I'll reflect the majority. You guys have been looking at this for longer than I have.
    This.
    Granted I'm also probably going to go for 2 piece (chest/gloves) with helm/shoulders/legs as off pieces.

Deleted
    off-set leggs are also haste/mastery just like the helmet is.

Deleted
    I am honestly starting to get conflicted about our set bonus. I no longer really think the 4p is that amazing, highly likely I am just going for 2p rather than 4p. The 2p is great for several fights.

Especially as I only got 1 set piece so far, and already managed to get several heroic / heroic war forged off pieces. This weeks farm is already over so I find it highly unlikely to even get the 4p within a respectable matter of time. I rather use my VP upgrades on other pieces. To be honest I think I am gonna sip the 2p competely.

Deleted
    I never quite bought the 4p but everyone was hyping it so I assumed Thek (or someone) came up with numbers to support it being the way to go? I mean, it sounds ok but we have a pretty good amount of nicely itemized offset pieces out there while necks, rings, etc aren't that "great". Was there any math done on this?

Also, been progressing on Protectors (heroic) last night, and we got to the 2nd Desperate phase from the panda woman (5th in general) on our 6th and last try so I suppose we'll be killing them tonight so huh, any tips you guys got for them and/or any of the following bosses? Dunno what people are doing next but I guess Norushen or Nazgrim?

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly33 View Post
    I am honestly starting to get conflicted about our set bonus. I no longer really think the 4p is that amazing, highly likely I am just going for 2p rather than 4p. The 2p is great for several fights.

Especially as I only got 1 set piece so far, and already managed to get several heroic / heroic war forged off pieces. This weeks farm is already over so I find it highly unlikely to even get the 4p within a respectable matter of time. I rather use my VP upgrades on other pieces. To be honest I think I am gonna sip the 2p competely.
    Basically this, as someone who plans on abusing 2p + vial (once i get it) to the max by basically using it on cd, i'd rather get the extra 2 nicely itemized offset pieces. Plus less competition than tier.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spacebubble View Post
    off-set leggs are also haste/mastery just like the helmet is.
    Correct, but extra socket. Also, Haste + Parry > Dodge + Mastery unless you're at the haste cap.

Deleted
    Anyone know which trinkets are atm the way to go? Thok's is deffinately one of the 2 but what about the other slot?
    The trinkets in this tier are so damn weird -.-
    I was thinking MAYBE (dont kill me for this) the stam trinkets that reduces our tanking cds? But then again it gives stam...
    I REALLY dont want it to be what I think it is for BiS and having to go back to horridon hc every week to farm for a heroic warforged spark of the zandalari....

10+ Year Old Account
    Im going with thok and malkorok trinkets. The stamina is really needed this tier and the cd reduce is just great. Imo the alternatives are just nieche trinkets.
    RL, GM and DK Tank for Guild redacted, EU-Gorgonnash
    Chars: Blood DK / Prot Paladin

Battle Tag: Riemu#2789

Deleted
    The fallen protectors stam + reduc AOE damage is much more potent than most people think. A lot of spells are AOE that just need to be soaked by tanks : the pool on immerseus, the brewmaster corruption kick and his misery descration, sun's desperate measure + calamity, norushen solo room for vengeance and quick return, sha of pride swelling pride, galakras fire big ball, ... I could go on until garrosh. I tried it, and liked it since I use my DP on CD to maximise 2p healing on most fights, having a second DP (that works on physical AOE such as war song) is quite nice, and the stamina is not bad at all.

It's not a niche trinket imo, and looks to be on par with thok's tail. Feel free to disagree though, but if you have it in your bag, give it a try.
    As for 4p, I've always found it more a comfort perk than a OP survival perk. But I think than on certain fights where you do not want to choose between WoG or SotR, it can save you from a dangerous place. But the most important potential in 4p is to spam EF @ 3+ BoG to fish for DivPurp procs, even if you don't need the heal, you don't lose HP nor GCD, and have a chance to gain a free SotR.

On fights where you deem HA/SW are better options that suits your strat / comfort zone better than DivPurp, I'd lose 4p if I have very strong off-pieces (13+ ilvl difference minimum)

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by paulleedot View Post
    Yeah....I got THREE tier legs.

Last week was the worst - won one off celestials, coined, got excited, legs again.
    last two IDs celestials, two legs. I don't use coins there.
    oh and the two IDs before that I got two pvp rings.
    they must have a mechanic that always gives you the worst loot possible. if they give you loot at all.

Deleted
    Why not go for 4p if you're going for 2p anyway. chest and shoulder are both exp/mastery and once we get fully SoO geared reaching 50% haste with that 4p is easily attainable. Doesn't get much better itemized than exp/mastery after that and the 4p really is pretty good.

One thing that some of you aren't considering regarding the 4p is that you can use EF on a raid member. This basically means that every single time you use a sotr after 3 stacks you get a free 3hopo EF to cast on a raid member (which can proc DP) Not as good as chaining harsh words but it's extra procs and a lot of raid healing. Consider running around with 300k vengeance and being able to toss out 4 EFs for free on raid members each 'cycle'.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Spacebubble View Post
    Why not go for 4p if you're going for 2p anyway. chest and shoulder are both exp/mastery and once we get fully SoO geared reaching 50% haste with that 4p is easily attainable. Doesn't get much better itemized than exp/mastery after that and the 4p really is pretty good.

One thing that some of you aren't considering regarding the 4p is that you can use EF on a raid member. This basically means that every single time you use a sotr after 3 stacks you get a free 3hopo EF to cast on a raid member (which can proc DP) Not as good as chaining harsh words but it's extra procs and a lot of raid healing. Consider running around with 300k vengeance and being able to toss out 4 EFs for free on raid members each 'cycle'.
    As far as I can remember, did they not change so that your BoG stacks gets consumed when you cast EF at someone else with the 4p?

Could be wrong about that, dont remember how they "fixed" the 4p.