10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    dropping the gamepad wouldnt have made the wiiu cheaper, as they probably wouldve went for stronger hardware.
    I didn't say drop it at launch, but once the Wii U sales were shit then they should have realised, if you read the link you'll see that Miyamoto puts some of the blame on tablets stealing the wii u thunder. So drop the gamepad which wasn;t being very well utilised, reduce the price and voila, you got yourself more sales.

The gamepad itself doesn't 'suck', although why they chose a resistive screen is totally beyond me, its just a gimmick that sucked.

yeah but without the gamepad what is the wiiu but a weaker ps4 with no third party support?
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

10+ Year Old Account
    yeah but without the gamepad what is the wiiu but a weaker ps4 with no third party support?
    A Nintendo console with Nintendo games, honestly, I want one for Zelda alone, and I will go and pick one up especially as I still have all my wii controllers, but at £230 when I can get a ps4 or xbox one for a bit more? Nope, now if it was say £189, then I'd think I'd be tempted.

Right now its a Weaker Ps4, priced in a similar region with no third party support and a controller that I wont use much, I don't need a second TV having a game room and I don't have constipation.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think the issue with the gamepad is they saw the absolute dominant success of the DS in the handheld market, and went all in. It doesn't compete with the PSP or the 3DS vs the Vita in terms of hardware, but beat both heavily in the market because of the quality of games.

They've put so much investment into the best handheld since the original game boy that you can see the cogs in their heads going "What if we did a console with this, imagine the games we could make!" and somewhere along the line right now, that's sort of gone missing, I remember it being demo'd with a Zelda game where they had a full 1080p fight on the screen, with no UI cluttering it up, because it was all on the pad infront of you, that was the kind of thing that made my jaw drop and wanting more.

It doesn't seem to have delivered on that style of front.
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.

Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post

Right now its a Weaker Ps4, priced in a similar region
    Yea, $300 msrp with 2 games is totally the same region as $400 msrp with 1 game.

/sarcasm.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Yea, $300 msrp with 2 games is totally the same region as $400 msrp with 1 game.

/sarcasm.
    Another invented argument, similar =/= same. I know we confused each other by agreeing so much in the e3 thread but you don't have to create arguments to make up for it.

The gamepad is amazing. Shoehorning its use into games is not. Being able to play on the pad while not using the TV (for various reasons... Immitis' example being one such use) is such an underrated quality. Sorry Miyamoto, the gamepad is not why this system didn't meet expectations, and isn't a believable scapegoat for the system's shortcomings.

If I could play splatoon without the game pad and just the pro controller....

/dreams
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    If I could play splatoon without the game pad and just the pro controller....

/dreams
    Is it true you can't use remote play for it?

you can only use the pro controller in the battle dojo which is a 1vs1.

The wii remote would of been perfect for splatoon but whatever
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

so apparently the wiiu is natively backwards compatible with gamecube games.

http://gbatemp.net/threads/nintendont.349258/

as long as you are only ripping the isos from your own gamecube games its perfectly legal. ive been playing sunshine on my wiiu, its pretty cool, they even made it so that you can use a wiimote and nunchuck

- - - Updated - - -

nintendo was showing off the nx to devs at e3 and so far alot of people seem to like it

"Luckily for Nintendo fans, the business magazine Fortune states that the NX was pitched to third parties during E3, and gauged many of the "insider" reactions as "positive". Fortune also spoke to Shigeru Miyamoto and Nintendo's Software Planning and Development's general manager, Shinya Takahashi; Miyamoto stated he is a step back from the NX in order to concentrate on gaming projects.
    I've pulled myself back out of some of the hardware section and I'm really focused on some of the software that I'm involved in — for example, the new Star Fox game. Of course I am observing and looking at the hardware, but I am not actively participating and making decisions."

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/201...during_e3_2015

honestly im glad that miyamoto isnt making hardware decisions. he can make fantastic games (even if at times he messes up like sticker star) but alot of his hardware views were slightly outdated.

the nx has to be pretty well off power wise if third parties are happy about it
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

Quick Jump and Inkstrike would be impossible without the gamepad. Even if they altered them to work without it you would be changing 1 single touch input into analog movement to get the right spot and then button press input.

So short answer: Yes it's true. The game wouldn't play as smooth without the gamepad extra screen and inputs on top of the tv display.

- - - Updated - - -

so apparently the wiiu is natively backwards compatible with gamecube games.

http://gbatemp.net/threads/nintendont.349258/

as long as you are only ripping the isos from your own gamecube games its perfectly legal. ive been playing sunshine on my wiiu, its pretty cool, they even made it so that you can use a wiimote and nunchuck

- - - Updated - - -

nintendo was showing off the nx to devs at e3 and so far alot of people seem to like it

"Luckily for Nintendo fans, the business magazine Fortune states that the NX was pitched to third parties during E3, and gauged many of the "insider" reactions as "positive". Fortune also spoke to Shigeru Miyamoto and Nintendo's Software Planning and Development's general manager, Shinya Takahashi; Miyamoto stated he is a step back from the NX in order to concentrate on gaming projects.
    I've pulled myself back out of some of the hardware section and I'm really focused on some of the software that I'm involved in — for example, the new Star Fox game. Of course I am observing and looking at the hardware, but I am not actively participating and making decisions."

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/201...during_e3_2015

honestly im glad that miyamoto isnt making hardware decisions. he can make fantastic games (even if at times he messes up like sticker star) but alot of his hardware views were slightly outdated.

the nx has to be pretty well off power wise if third parties are happy about it
    lol what. There is a major difference between "showing off" and pitching them ideas about the system. They showed them nothing, only talked about it with them.

Also when have 3rd parties NOT been "happy" with a new Nintendo console? It is always AFTER the launch and the sales of their games bomb on the platform they become "unhappy" with it.

10+ Year Old Account
    It may be a good thing for miyamoto to step down on hardware, he designs them with his idea fo games in mind, not all games in mind, what is beautiful fo Super Mario Galaxy is not fo other games to come out on a system fo the next cycle. The Wii U had some games in mind when being made, but it became a pain to design with in mind and lacked the power current tech can utilize.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Quick Jump and Inkstrike would be impossible without the gamepad. Even if they altered them to work without it you would be changing 1 single touch input into analog movement to get the right spot and then button press input.

So short answer: Yes it's true. The game wouldn't play as smooth without the gamepad extra screen and inputs on top of the tv display.

- - - Updated - - -

lol what. There is a major difference between "showing off" and pitching them ideas about the system. They showed them nothing, only talked about it with them.

Also when have 3rd parties NOT been "happy" with a new Nintendo console? It is always AFTER the launch and the sales of their games bomb on the platform they become "unhappy" with it.
    we cant prove that either way, all that matters is theyre already getting devs on board with it.

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    It may be a good thing for miyamoto to step down on hardware, he designs them with his idea fo games in mind, not all games in mind, what is beautiful fo Supe Maio Galaxy is not fo other games to come out on a system fo the next cycle.
    Miyamoto had almost no input on the design of the wii u. In fact he has had very little input on hardware period outside of a push for nintendo to find a way to make motion controls work back in the 2003-2005 years when the Wii was in planning stages.

Geno Takeda is the man mostly responsible for the underpowered systems in Wii, Wii U and 3DS. And he looks to still have a major role on NX. This is the man responsible for the gamepad, responsible for the Wii being an overclocked gamecube and the man responsible for releasing a handheld in the 3DS that pumps out less impressive graphics then the freaking PSP was capable of a generation before it.

The hardware is still going to be behind unless Nintendo let Western engineers design it 100% and they won't. If Nintendo let western engineers design their hardware and stuck strictly to software on the eastern side like Sony started doing they would work magic.

- - - Updated - - -

we cant prove that either way, all that matters is theyre already getting devs on board with it.

Unprecedented Partnership 2.0 bro!

What is anyone trying to prove? Anything I stated in that quote is an indisputable fact.

unless you were one of the devs i dont think you can say what they did or didnt show people. just because it wasnt on the show floor doesnt mean they couldnt have took them to a private room and showed them something.

unless you were one of the devs i dont think you can say what they did or didnt show people. just because it wasnt on the show floor doesnt mean they couldnt have took them to a private room and showed them something.
    They didn't show them anything. They talked about the system with them. The article made that pretty clear. You are the one who thought up in your imagination that Nintendo has anywhere close to finalized hardware to show anyone jack shit yet.

10+ Year Old Account
    For us, the next step is to think about what is going to be that element that is really going to catch the attention of a large number of players again and get them excited.
    How about your games? Or does this mean yet another gimmick?

How about your games? Or does this mean yet another gimmick?
    Both, I hope!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Both, I hope!
    As long as a the gimmick is not a mandatory thing then sure.