Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    I'm going with dump, he probably was making a ton of TG or his guild was the folks got their vials and have abandoned using the TG. I would guess dumping over Duping. Why dupe something that really isn't the money make, let alone take it all down and put it up again. More than likely end of expansion bag dumping. This is a fairly common practice at the end of an expansion for mats, that as someone already stated have no leveling value. They have a rare mount creation value, which means most folks chasing said mount at this point have the TG saved up. Only person looking for it is gonna be the dude who finds it randomly or goes back to collect mounts.

You could buy all his up and re-sell but this late in the game that could be dangerous. Especially, if he has another 20 laying about.

Quote Originally Posted by Chireru93 View Post
    normally I'd say that is the case, however, the guy actively took down 20+ auctions and relisted ALL of them for a much lower price, forcing down the market to insanely low numbers. Clearing out bank and bag slots is one thing, but idk why someone would be that focused on it to drive down a market by more than 50% with so many items. In a sense, he's losing out 3k+ gold, which might not be much to some people, but he's losing out on it while also losing out on a lot of time just relisting stuff.

back on topic, he's trying to crash the market. on my server (Shadowsong Alliance) gems were at a reliatvely high number, red for about 150g, orange for 30g-40g, others for about 15g. Then someone crashed the market, everything except red went to 3g-4g (yeah...people could vendor them for that), and red dropped to about 80g-90g instantly. He even said in trade chat "I'm going to crash the gem market on this server". It seems to be a trend lately for some asinine reason people are getting a kick out of crashing the markets.
    The fact of the matter is there is a gold cap in this game.. and many people are AT that cap.. so its just a new metagame for them to be monkeying with the market..

Look it sounds like your new to wow with Cata, this happens every expansion.. blizzard crashes the market for all old materials with every expansion other than the top tier which has limited usefulness going forward.. they do not like giving a major advantage to "old" players when "new" expansions happen just because they horded gear.. so they throw out the baby and the bathwater..

Your options are 1) adapt 2) whine about it on MMO-Champ 3) google the data for MOP and see what will be most useful for grinding in the start (all old and new mats for monks that want to craft.. or just the grinding out first 50 25-50 points which usually use old mats) 4) stop trying to hang onto the idea of crafting as a profit center.. its never long term.

The best use of crafting mats in wow as ever is keeping them in RAW form every time you move away from raw the value decreases.. transmutes are especially problematic since they are never long term stable.

Stood in the Fire Arthur-the-exalted's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post
    The average price for Truegold on my server is 300-350 gold and has remained steady for months. But then this guy appeared....

At the start of the week someone listed 20+ truegold for 250g each, massively undercutting everyone else then for some reason people started undercutting him. When he saw this he took down all of his auctions and reslisted them at EVEN LOWER prices, even if someone only listed a single auction, and this has kept happening all week.

This one guy now has a full page of Truegold for 130g each and I don't know what to do... I can't even make it for that cheap. I'm certainly not going to list mine at that price.

I'm tempted to just buy them all and reset the price but I have no idea if it will even sell now (or if he'll just do it again).

Could this just be a coincidence with the expansion ending, or has this guy personally destroyed the entire market? I really don't think it's because of MoP comming soon, the price hadn't lowered at all until this guy came along, in fact it was slowly going up.
    No offense, but sounds like your just QQing about being under cut...and to be honest I do the very same thing with gems on my server, I mine a crap ton of ore and get my friend to simply prospect them, even when i price them for like 60g for a bold i am still making a massive profit for the little time I spend farming the ore..just get over it man, he saved up and wants to sell thats all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Welcome to economics.

Supply goes up with nothing being made, demand goes down, with nothing being bought. Price drops.

Like I said, Truegold sells consistently on my server for 300-350 gold and has been this way for the whole of 4.3. Usually it gets bought-out within an hour. Truegold is in as much demmand as it ever was.

There was no decrease in price until this guy came and flooded the AH. In fact the price was actually rising.

Stood in the Fire Arthur-the-exalted's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post
    Like I said, Truegold sells consistently on my server for 300-350 gold and has been this way for the whole of 4.3. Usually it gets bought-out within an hour. Truegold is in as much demmand as it ever was.

There was no decrease in price until this guy came and flooded the AH. In fact the price was actually rising.
    Like I said, this sounds like yours just QQing, sorry to say but I dont see what wrong with what he did, he is lowering it as much as he can to sell, chances are he is making profits based on it and does not care how low he drops it

Deleted
    Maybe he didn't like the price, or has some master plan to decrease it and buy it all, then resell for more. There could be many motives, I personally drive down glyph prices on my inscription character because the realm has a lot of new players who can't afford 350g for some of the more mandatory ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorgeth View Post
    The fact of the matter is there is a gold cap in this game.. and many people are AT that cap.. so its just a new metagame for them to be monkeying with the market..

Look it sounds like your new to wow with Cata, this happens every expansion.. blizzard crashes the market for all old materials with every expansion other than the top tier which has limited usefulness going forward.. they do not like giving a major advantage to "old" players when "new" expansions happen just because they horded gear.. so they throw out the baby and the bathwater..

Your options are 1) adapt 2) whine about it on MMO-Champ 3) google the data for MOP and see what will be most useful for grinding in the start (all old and new mats for monks that want to craft.. or just the grinding out first 50 25-50 points which usually use old mats) 4) stop trying to hang onto the idea of crafting as a profit center.. its never long term.

The best use of crafting mats in wow as ever is keeping them in RAW form every time you move away from raw the value decreases.. transmutes are especially problematic since they are never long term stable.
    You do know what the gold cap is right?

I wish I played on your server. Truegold still goes for 700+ on mine.

Herald of the Titans Deathgoose's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mack8772 View Post
    MoP is getting ready to launch so they maybe just cleaning out bank and bag slots.
    That seems the most obvious. Seriously, why would someone sink a crap load of gold on crafting mats that will be 100% obsolete in a little over a month?

Seems better to unload what you have now and make a few bucks before the bottom entirely falls out.

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur-the-exalted View Post
    Like I said, this sounds like yours just QQing, sorry to say but I dont see what wrong with what he did, he is lowering it as much as he can to sell, chances are he is making profits based on it and does not care how low he drops it
    If you had bothered to read it would be abundantly clear that I was asking for advice and people's thoughts on his reasons.

If anyone cares I decided to buy the whole lot, plus all the Truegold from everyone else at similar prices and relisted them at 300g each. They are currently selling quite quickly.

Deleted
    Don't listen to anyone saying Truegold is worthless, it's composed of materials which will be extremely limited in supply during mists but with a decent amount of demand for Vial of the Sands. Simply keep your truegold for when prices rise, you do not need to sell your truegold straight away for it to be worth something.

i stopped xmuting in about march when i took a break and yes, gold is really not an issue. i have 3 alchemists. i made 3 bars a day. in 5 days, i will have a minimum of 15 bars, thats if i get no procs; all 3 are xmute specced. so yea, it's nothing wild for some guy to have tons of bars. jumping on the duping bandwagon is a little pre-mature. dude is probably just dumping all his stock while he can still get something for them.

I dunno about that.. he just dumped another page-full of truegold at 130g. Once again be undercut the next highest price by over 200g. He's also selling stacks that work out at the same price.

Selling everything off is one thing, but there's no reason to sell it for so low when it would go for much more.

Deleted
    As people have mentioned he could be unaware of it's value and is dumping it before he thinks it becomes worthless. My advice would be if you have enough gold to buy it and the patience to keep it, buy and resell a month or two into mists

Some people just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by Chireru93 View Post
    normally I'd say that is the case, however, the guy actively took down 20+ auctions and relisted ALL of them for a much lower price, forcing down the market to insanely low numbers. Clearing out bank and bag slots is one thing, but idk why someone would be that focused on it to drive down a market by more than 50% with so many items. In a sense, he's losing out 3k+ gold, which might not be much to some people, but he's losing out on it while also losing out on a lot of time just relisting stuff.

back on topic, he's trying to crash the market. on my server (Shadowsong Alliance) gems were at a reliatvely high number, red for about 150g, orange for 30g-40g, others for about 15g. Then someone crashed the market, everything except red went to 3g-4g (yeah...people could vendor them for that), and red dropped to about 80g-90g instantly. He even said in trade chat "I'm going to crash the gem market on this server". It seems to be a trend lately for some asinine reason people are getting a kick out of crashing the markets.
    It's entirely possible that this person is trying to rein in the other AH players on the server, to restrict their activity on the BMAH.

---------- Post added 2012-08-11 at 07:11 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Gorgeth View Post

Much of this is nonsense. It's usually everything but the top tier of items that hold (and often increase) in value, though of course it depends on your definition of top tier. There's usually very little call for the previous expansion's end-game mats/crafts, but there's always demand for the 'lower tier' mats and cheap crafted items from those who are levelling toons. For example, people will be avoiding recipes that use Essence of Destruction when levelling tailoring, so the price of these will crash, just as the prices of Heart of Darkness crashed when Wrath launched. In Cata the prices of Frostweave and Infinite Dust doubled from their Wrath prices, but the price of Moonshroud went down considerably, despite requiring both of the previously mentioned mats to craft. It's often not that clear cut though.

Also I rarely sell raw mats on the AH, I almost always sell crafted items only and I just reached 5 times the gold cap with probably 3m worth of mats across my bank toons.
    Last edited by Hoddie; 2012-08-11 at 05:12 AM.
    Dragonslayer Hoddie - pretending to know what I'm doing!

Deleted
    Just buy him out, put them in your bank and forget about them for a while. You will be able to sell for a profit later in MoP.
    Last edited by mmocfd841b240f; 2012-08-12 at 08:43 AM. Reason: spelling

Deleted
    I does the same thing, hahaha, i always farm a massiv things, then under bid, by a large part, i have so much mats, that other people have to underbid me and then i do it agian i see myself as a hero of the poor people^^

truegold prices and supply has dried up on my server

no one is crafting anymore and the only use for them is for that damn mount and for transmute specialization quest for alchys who dont wanna wait 4 days