Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Obitobitobitobitobito

Izuna with Obito's eye is my bet now.

Especially since Tobi was the one who told the tale of Izuna. :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Izuna has more potential than another "rival gone evil" story imo. Given the recent emphasis put on the bond between brothers, well...

I'd like it to be Izuna at least. Lying about his identity makes more sense if you take into account that the guy was Madara-lite.

Izuna's fate is somewhat up in the air too. Tobi seemed a little off (clenching his fists) when talking about Madara's heroic brother, and there are clashing accounts of what really happened between him and Madara regarding the eye deal. I think there's an angle there.
    Last edited by Zaelsino; 2012-08-15 at 11:24 PM.

Deleted
    Is Tobi Obito? Probably not.

Is it someone that uses Obito's body? I would say that's possible, not very likely, but possible.

Is it Obito's eye that's used? Pretty much confirmed.

I've heard that Tobi may be Rin, Kakashi's teamate from Team Minato

Quote Originally Posted by Baygon View Post
    nope, look back in the anime or manga, you'd already know, and a lot of fans seem to completely forget, is that Tobi has a huge laboratory with hundreds of Sharingan eyes in jars, Obito's ability just happens to be extremely convenient for him to use.
    I forgot about this (the huge laboratory) myself. Do you remember the chapter this is in?

10+ Year Old Account
    I also thought it was Tobi, until I was talking to my friend about it and she pointed out this tidbit:
    Me: I'm fairly certain they're hinting at Obito! How else would his and Kakashi's eyes be linked?!
    Her: They said he obtained it there. Obito wouldn't need to obtain it, he was born with it. I say we need to wait and find out. Because Kishimoto said that Madara and "Tobi" know each other
    I was sad, but still very interested in who the hell Tobi is. Kakashi seems to know...

All of this speculation is reminding me of when everyone was trying to figure out who Amon was in The Legend of Korra. I'm guessing it's gonna be someone we've never heard of, just like in Korra.
    Last edited by Hanto; 2012-08-16 at 12:30 AM.

I'm pretty certain it's Obito. I had heard several years ago Tobi was intended to be Obito, and the way he interacts with Kakashi makes it pretty obvious.

nope, look back in the anime or manga, you'd already know, and a lot of fans seem to completely forget, is that Tobi has a huge laboratory with hundreds of Sharingan eyes in jars, Obito's ability just happens to be extremely convenient for him to use.
    This doesn't explain why Tobi would say to Kakashi, "The fight at the Kannabi Bridge...That fight where you got to be called "the hero with the Sharingan". I told you not to open your mouth so easily! You're all talk and no action, what someone like you says is worthless!" In my opinion, it's clearly Obito taking a dig at Kakashi for taking credit for Obito's sacrifice.

They said he obtained it there. Obito wouldn't need to obtain it, he was born with it. I say we need to wait and find out. Because Kishimoto said that Madara and "Tobi" know each other
    But Obito DID "obtain" his Sharingan at that battle. He hadn't been able to unlock his abilities until that battle, and it seems logical that he may have instinctively sent the other half of his body through Kamui or something, believing himself to be screwed and having one eye crushed, when he gave Kakashi his other eye.
    Last edited by Truhan; 2012-08-16 at 12:33 AM.
    Girls are a hoax created by the Japanese anime industry to scam otaku out of their money.

I think what truly is funny is that what people are talking about now, that Tobi is likely izuna and that he had the other eye of obito was a theory I had for a very very long time. Not sure why I thought of Izuna, but that was so long ago that I forgot the reason. It was interviews with kishimoto and comments tobi made to kakashi about kamui that made me feel that he had the other eye of obito, plus his giant collection of eyes basically made me sure that he had the eye.

Now thinking back on when I thought it might've been Izuna was because of the incredible reverence given to him during Tobi's story of the Uchiha and also the fact that there is no special gravesite of monument of him because if Izuna willfuly gave his brother his eyes and that Madara truly loved his brother, the fact that there is no concrete marking that he died seemed a bit off. Now if Izuna died in a covert mission I would feel that the lack of any sort of death marker or placeholder grave would make sense, but he died in a battle in the story and it just seems out of character that Madara would have Izuna in a battlefield that he at least was not a part of in some way. Then the fact that Kishimoto said that Tobi knew Madara reaffirmed my notion but that happened a long time after that episode.

Quote Originally Posted by Truhan View Post
    But Obito DID "obtain" his Sharingan at that battle. He hadn't been able to unlock his abilities until that battle, and it seems logical that he may have instinctively sent the other half of his body through Kamui or something, believing himself to be screwed and having one eye crushed, when he gave Kakashi his other eye.
    For some reason, I really like this idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthoren View Post
    I think what truly is funny is that what people are talking about now, that Tobi is likely izuna and that he had the other eye of obito was a theory I had for a very very long time. Not sure why I thought of Izuna, but that was so long ago that I forgot the reason. It was interviews with kishimoto and comments tobi made to kakashi about kamui that made me feel that he had the other eye of obito, plus his giant collection of eyes basically made me sure that he had the eye.

Now thinking back on when I thought it might've been Izuna was because of the incredible reverence given to him during Tobi's story of the Uchiha and also the fact that there is no special gravesite of monument of him because if Izuna willfuly gave his brother his eyes and that Madara truly loved his brother, the fact that there is no concrete marking that he died seemed a bit off. Now if Izuna died in a covert mission I would feel that the lack of any sort of death marker or placeholder grave would make sense, but he died in a battle in the story and it just seems out of character that Madara would have Izuna in a battlefield that he at least was not a part of in some way. Then the fact that Kishimoto said that Tobi knew Madara reaffirmed my notion but that happened a long time after that episode.
    I completely agree with this statement, mostly because after Madara got his control back instead of being de-summoned he is still going through with what he is doing instead of just going off on his own. Without looking I can't remember if he knew his brother was doing it, but I think Madara himself has an idea of what is going on, maybe something they discussed in the past. I do remember it being brought up while he was around that "if madara is here, then who is the other guy!" thing, which really didnt seem to surprise him in the least. I also do not remember if the impure world resurrection thing also shares information between all the summons, but I dont see why it wouldn't.

We shall see in the coming days, I doubt it will be much of a secret for long unless Kakashi dies again.

Still with either theory we still need to figure out why Tobi bleeds white goo and how he can regenerate lost limbs, personally I think he is a zetzu himself but I have no proof to back that up

Tobi is Obito

For the laboratory that he has, it is there to replace his left eye sharingan. He always treasures he right since it is his own. He can always replace his left eye with others after using Izanagi.

Also, people say Tobi can't be Obito because he attacked Konoha when Obito was around Kakashi's age (young). However, Tobi says he had nothing to do with the Nine-Tails attack and the Nine-Tails states that it was Madara who controlled him. So in my opinion, it was Madara who dressed like that and attacked Konoha.

Madara saved Obito befored he died and trained him. Right after Madara awakened his Rinnegan, he was killed by Obito who took over the role and put on that outfit thus becoming Tobi. Tobi is Obito who is Madara's apprentice.

Plus after landing hits on Tobi, Kakashi knew that he was using Obito's eye, but when he states how he got the eye, Kakashi says "YOU'RE" thus meaning he knows who he is and there is only one person who fits that.

If anyone has something else that could be why Tobi is not Obito, I can say for 90% of what you say I can counter with an explanation

Quote Originally Posted by Susanoo View Post
    Still with either theory we still need to figure out why Tobi bleeds white goo and how he can regenerate lost limbs, personally I think he is a zetzu himself but I have no proof to back that up
    There's a lot of questions that need answering, whatever theory is correct. Unlike the gentleman above me, I try my best to refrain from overthinking the issue only to end up writing a version of what I would do (even though I kind of did that with my statement about Obito using Kamui).

For example, if it's Obito, how did he learn so much about the Uchiha? Why did he turn on Kakashi? Why didn't he immediately try to get back in touch with his comrades if he had survived?

On the other hand, if it's anyone else, how did Tobi recover a completely crushed eye? Not only that, how did he fix the eye after retrieving it?

These are just a few questions, but hopefully they'll be answered. I'm sure either way Zetsu will have had some kind of major involvement. Aside from Tobi, I believe Zetsu is currently the most mysterious character and this will likely be used as an opportunity to give both characters a single backstory arc.
    Girls are a hoax created by the Japanese anime industry to scam otaku out of their money.

If it is Obito, how did he learn so much about the Uchiha?

A rhetorical question if you ask me. What I said earlier, Madara Uchiha taught Obito everything. Why did he turn against Kakashi? Because he learned Madara's side of the story.

Like I said, I can counter mostly 90% of what people want to say about Tobi not being Obito.

Also, I totally agree with the gentleman above me (Truhan), that Zetsu is the most mysterious character even though he is pinned down right now by Chojuro's blade meaning he most likely has nothing to do with Tobi being Zetsu.

On the contrary, (just a theory, no facts to support this except Tobi's arm and white goo) Zetsu could have been created by Tobi with his cells. Kind of like Orochimaru experimenting with other shinobi.

Quote Originally Posted by hatehaterman View Post
    Tobi is Obito

For the laboratory that he has, it is there to replace his left eye sharingan. He always treasures he right since it is his own. He can always replace his left eye with others after using Izanagi.

Also, people say Tobi can't be Obito because he attacked Konoha when Obito was around Kakashi's age (young). However, Tobi says he had nothing to do with the Nine-Tails attack and the Nine-Tails states that it was Madara who controlled him. So in my opinion, it was Madara who dressed like that and attacked Konoha.

Madara saved Obito befored he died and trained him. Right after Madara awakened his Rinnegan, he was killed by Obito who took over the role and put on that outfit thus becoming Tobi. Tobi is Obito who is Madara's apprentice.

Plus after landing hits on Tobi, Kakashi knew that he was using Obito's eye, but when he states how he got the eye, Kakashi says "YOU'RE" thus meaning he knows who he is and there is only one person who fits that.

If anyone has something else that could be why Tobi is not Obito, I can say for 90% of what you say I can counter with an explanation
    Im split between two sides on the theory tobi is obito first I will give why I think hes not. Also forgive my english it is not my first language.

The reasons Tobi cannot be obito is that in the very first glimpses we seen the top of his face he is very old and has wrinkles, Tobi literally bleeds white goo. Also to put your theory of madara saving obito to rest is that Madara would of been very old if he saved Obito from dying. When he died since he has been resurrected by Edo Tensei he looks pretty young to me and Edo Tensei resurrects you as you were the moment you died. Also Tobi did attack Konoha as the Fourth Hokage kicked his ass then realized that he would be trouble in the future so he sealed the Nine tails inside of Naruto. As I said before Madara would be very very old if he were behind the nine tailed attack on Konoha and when he was resurrected he would be old which he is not. Also Kakashi says "You..." not You're http://www.mangahere.com/manga/naruto/v60/c597/12.html
    Also he could be very protective over his right eye because that gives him his itangibility and teleportation techniques if I were him I would also prize that eye.

Now the theoy why he could be Obito this is not my theory either it is one I saw somewhere on the internet. When the rocks crushed Obitos right eye and body there is a chance his intangibilty could of activated and sent it to the other dimension hence why he felt nothing, and when the other rocks crushed him his entire body when into the other dimension. Now to explain the reason why he is so old maybe spending extended time in the other dimension ages you quicker than the normal world which would explain why hes so old now, but Fu, torune, sasuke, and Karin all have been in the other dimension and have not shown any sign of age. We also do not know why he bleeds white goo it could have something to do with the amount of Harishama cells he has put into his body and he can regenerate his lost limbs similar to Harishama's healing ability mentioned by Edo Madara. Its hard to tell which theory is correct but Tobi does seem to know Kakashi on a personal level or he could be trying to mind fuck kakashi into thinking hes his old friend Obito as Tobi is a very cunning villain
    Well thats just my two cents
    Last edited by Susanoo; 2012-08-16 at 06:48 AM.

Deleted
    loving the theories in this thread, some very good points made there for tobi being izuna but obito as well.

I'm wondering though. What if Madara and Izuna came up with the idea and the costume and purpose of Tobi and then later they left this legacy for Obito to choose what to do with it. I know that Tobi has said he wants to rule the world and all that but it seems that at least he thinks that he is doing the world a favor. Maybe Obito took over the identity of Tobi but doesnt quite follow the plan that Izuna/Madara had in mind.

As far as looks and abilities go for ruling out who it could be and who it could not be... We're talking about a scenario here that allows self regenerating cells (harashima), cell transplantation (danzou) without seemingly no consequences, eye transplantation (basically any Uchiha), heart transplantation (Kakazu), rejuvenation or "looking young" (Tsunade, Orochimaru, Sasori,...), transferable or learnable skills that come with teaching or bloodline or surgery. I really wouldnt put any weight on what a character looks like or what his skills are to be reason as to who he really is.

10+ Year Old Account
    I dunno which flashback showed he was older? the 4th hokage didnt have naruto and likly was not even married when he trained kakashei and obito, since well.... they lasted a bit as a team and the 4th died soon after naruto was born.

it should have been a few years later in that flash back, which is why tobi was around the height of an adult.

Counter Explanation to Susanoo

To put your theory about Madara looking old while saving Obito quite is simple. Several techniques can make you look young. Look at Tsunade and Orochimaru. Plus he has Hashirama Senju on him (bet that might have something to do with that and also the rinnegan)

Also you said that Tobi attacked Konoha. Like I stated earlier, he said he had nothing to do with attacking Konoha. Also, the nine-tails who can remmember chakra said that it was Madara who attacked Konoha not Tobi. Also another reason it was Madara and not Tobi is that Madara can summon the nine-tails and he tried to do when he was ressurected which resulted in Naruto having chest pains. Tobi can not summon him. The nine-tails was summoned then attacked Konoha therefore making Madara the one who attacked Konoha. It was stated earlier that the one who attacked Konoha can summon and control the nine-tails.

Please read all the manga again before you make a statement against my theory (i say theory because it CAN still be disproven with a simple thing as removing the mask). Especially about the Konoha attack. You have to pay attention to what every character says and does.

All the facts and what the characters say have led me to believe it was Obito from the very beginning. The way I see it, I have Masashi Kishimoto figured out.

Also Kakashi did say "YOU'RE" on the first translation on mangahere.com. Now they changed it meaning he knows who he is or meaning he took that eye (im still going with he knows who he is)

Like I said I can counter almost everything about Tobi not being Obito

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by hatehaterman View Post
    Like I said I can counter almost everything about Tobi not being Obito
    I'm not saying youre completely wrong but read my post. could it not have been that madara disguised himself as tobi first (maybe even with the help of Izuna) and after they died Obito took over the tobi character to make everyone who knew that Tobi is Madara think that that is still the case?! It would be a convenient solution since we dont know the relation between Madara/Izuna and Obito.