Thread: Warhammer 40K

How about an absolutely immense MMO with all the factions ... and then eve integrations( or similar)

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by Zhangfei View Post
    It'd be incredible, although inevitably you'd have to play as an Ultramarine. An MMO where you had a party of three would be amazing, like a kill-squad sort of game (or ambush, or whatever for the different races.) Two generic guys and you leading in different classes. When you group up or raid up, you're obviously doing a major strike-force mission and you've been "selected" from your kill-team to do it.

There's so much lore that could be worked in - visiting planets etc. It'd be really cool to be a Dark Angel, for example, and have to visit Fenris to find a Fallen. Or be an Eldar lad sneaking onto a human planet to assassinate a Dark Eldar raider. Be an orc as the speartip of a Waaaaagh and invade a Necron world. So much win.
    Urgh no more Ultramarines.... Blue, holier than thou derp-heads....

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Omnoms View Post
    How about an absolutely immense MMO with all the factions ... and then eve integrations( or similar)
    Balancing. It's like Dawn of War all over again. Creating all the factions would make it quite ugly - the Tyrannids and Necrons, for example, do not use language or have individualistic thought. How would we incorporate questing and knowing what to do with these factions? They're ideal bad guys.

I could see some variety in Space Marine chapters, Eldar, Dark Eldar, Tau, Imp Guard, Sisters of Mercy, Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Cultists though.
    In fact as far as I'm aware the UK is the only european nation that outright bans guns for civilians.
    Shotguns I'll give you (provided you're allowed 12 and larger gauges... because I mean... come on...) but not .22s.
    This is why people ban guns. Gun supporters don't know what guns are.

Balancing. It's like Dawn of War all over again. Creating all the factions would make it quite ugly - the Tyrannids and Necrons, for example, do not use language or have individualistic thought. How would we incorporate questing and knowing what to do with these factions? They're ideal bad guys.

I could see some variety in Space Marine chapters, Eldar, Dark Eldar, Tau, Imp Guard, Sisters of Mercy, Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Cultists though.
    Necrons are as a matter of fact capable of communication. And they're regaining conscioussness. Yes, the hivemind system would not work and would ultimately function as WoW's murlocs or main enemy in the end... Old gods of a sort I guess. But make it PvP inspired.

10+ Year Old Account
    Necrons are as a matter of fact capable of communication. And they're regaining conscioussness. Yes, the hivemind system would not work and would ultimately function as WoW's murlocs or main enemy in the end... Old gods of a sort I guess. But make it PvP inspired.
    I don't think it's enough and certainly not for the role of an MMO. You'd be mostly confined to Necron worlds.

The one good thing about the game is "the great enemy" could be an invasion or insurrection by any group. The lore really has it established that internal fights are entirely legitimate. An orc could fight against a rival Waaargh, everyone can fight Tyranids and Necrons, Chaos infights like its going out of fashion, an Imp Guard civil war, a Space Marine chapter under censure etc.
    In fact as far as I'm aware the UK is the only european nation that outright bans guns for civilians.
    Shotguns I'll give you (provided you're allowed 12 and larger gauges... because I mean... come on...) but not .22s.

Deleted
    Used to play LOTR SBG, where I had a high elven army of the last alliance (including custom cavalry) Also used to play Fantasy, where I had a dark elven army. Never played 40k but always loved the look and story of the necrons. If I played again I would go for them personally

10+ Year Old Account
    I wan't Mortarion. Then I wan't... Lorgar. Yep... I am not fond of the whole wh30k primarchs. gimme 40k ones.
    But all the Primarchs are 30K Primarchs :3

---------- Post added 2013-01-31 at 09:42 PM ----------

Also, we had Dark Millenium that was supposed to be an MMO. It's now single player (I think) if it even still in production. I think a 40K MMO a la Planetside 2 where you fight for planets and stuffs would be sooooooo cool though

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    But all the Primarchs are 30K Primarchs :3

---------- Post added 2013-01-31 at 09:42 PM ----------

Also, we had Dark Millenium that was supposed to be an MMO. It's now single player (I think) if it even still in production. I think a 40K MMO a la Planetside 2 where you fight for planets and stuffs would be sooooooo cool though
    With the closure of THQ, Dark Millenium may never see the night of day.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    Well SEGA just bought ALL the Relic 40k stuff... So maybe.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    Well SEGA just bought ALL the Relic 40k stuff... So maybe.
    I trust Sega with certain Genre's (total war, I am looking at you), but I am thinking Dark Millenium is a bit ambitious for them.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    I trust Sega with certain Genre's (total war, I am looking at you), but I am thinking Dark Millenium is a bit ambitious for them.
    I have absolutely no experience with SEGA other than Sonic... And well, he does have the same colour as an Ultramarine so.....

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    I have absolutely no experience with SEGA other than Sonic... And well, he does have the same colour as an Ultramarine so.....
    They did the Total war series, a WH40k Total war would be fucking awesome.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Never really tried Total War, other than an ancient demo and I didn't really like it. But I might give a 40K version a chance... Though I'm MUCH more interested in an RPG, say like Space Marine with an xp system and a more Mass Effect'ish feel.

10+ Year Old Account
    I got chills thinking about this but then what exactly would Space Marines be doing building roads in conquered provinces?

Weren't the Warhammer games for the PS sort of like the battles in TW too? Shadow of the Horned Rat, right?

Deleted
    I got chills thinking about this but then what exactly would Space Marines be doing building roads in conquered provinces?

Weren't the Warhammer games for the PS sort of like the battles in TW too? Shadow of the Horned Rat, right?
    Thats why they have servitors. Space marines would be an elite, high cost unit, possibly limited in number. A Wh40k Total war really could work, they already have a TW warhammer fantasy mod that is very popular.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thats why they have servitors. Space marines would be an elite, high cost unit, possibly limited in number. A Wh40k Total war really could work, they already have a TW warhammer fantasy mod that is very popular.
    Do you think the territory-based battles in DoW and DoWII are the right direction then? Just with more depth to "growing" the regions and barracking them?

Deleted
    Do you think the territory-based battles in DoW and DoWII are the right direction then? Just with more depth to "growing" the regions and barracking them?
    I am not sure, on one side I enjoyed building territories and conquering, but I also enjoyed the story side which is lacking in the Total war series.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am not sure, on one side I enjoyed building territories and conquering, but I also enjoyed the story side which is lacking in the Total war series.
    Hmmm, I'm now thinking involving a lot of Alpha Centauri into it then - have a growing story that evolves as you conquer provinces and story arcs depending on how you do it, what you conquer, where you conquer etc.

That would be pretty incredible actually, especially if there were numerous multiple factions.

Deleted
    Honestly, from what it looked like towards the end, that'd probably be for the best.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Howlrunner View Post
    With all honesty, as long as any future games bring back Commissar Holt, I will be happy :P
    He made an entire battlegroup, including a company of Ultramarines his bitch. We will never see his like again.