School me on crafting

Mainly I just don't understand discovery. I put things in there and it says there are known recipes, do I just need to guess the other supplies that go into it? Are there things I may need to purchase in order for a recipe or design to be "discovered" (ie thread or something)?

If you put something into one of the slots, other things you can combine with it will not be greyed on on the left side.

Depending on what you are doing, it is pretty easy to guess how some work, others not so much.

Yes, you may need to buy supplies that go into discoveries. There _are_ recipes for sale all over the place, but I'm not sure if you have to buy them to use them or if they are discoverable.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, but if you want to take the guesswork out of it then just head over to gw2database.com.

Quote Originally Posted by HBpapa View Post
    Yeah, but if you want to take the guesswork out of it then just head over to gw2database.com.
    Thank you...I hate guess work

Unless it's something special like artifice potion or cooking, there are discovery patterns for everything.

Weapons/armor require 2 parts of a gear (can be seen through "Used by <gear>" on the part description), plus an inscription/insignia.

Grinding stones from weapon smith require ingot and dust.

Tuning crystals from artifice need 6 dust.

Bags require 10 metal/cloth/leather and 3 dust or scales.

Amulets/rings/ear rings come from a setting, a chain/band/hook, and a raw gem.

Gems can be 'refined' with a filigree, and upgraded to the next tier with 2 raws and 1 dust.
    Last edited by cywang86; 2012-08-31 at 12:16 PM.