Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Not a fan of Leatherworking.

On face value it looks good "I wear leather so I can make my own gear" but it seldom works that way. Unless you pair it with skinning, or have a skinner, then you have to buy mats (not overly a bad thing) but still eats into your "savings". Then factor that it's only 1 or slots per tier, if you're a hardcore raider you'll replace it with heroic gear, and if you're not hardcore, then why worry about the crafted gear, just wear what drops.

As for making money, well you can sell the crafted gear sure, but other professions will make you more.

Personally, I'm probably going with Inscription/Tailoring.

Inscription because I don't have one, and it will reduce my own costs by making my own shoulder enchants and Monk Glyphs (seriously, scribes will MILK these).
    Tailoring because it's a gathering/crafting profession in one (cloth scavenging). I've made a fortune in Cata from Cloth farming and I plan to continue it. Also, bags sell well, and a few more self enchants (although no leg enchant apart from Mistweaver) will also keep personal costs down.

The real money makers (JC/Enchanting/Alc) I have covered by my Banker and my Alt and see no need to level another one on my Monk.

10+ Year Old Account
    Engineering/Blacksmithing for me. Blacksmithing is the only profession I don't have, and i just love engineering to much to not take it :P

But i mean unless you are really into the whole min/maxing thing then pick whatever profession you are happy with

My monk will be nothing more than an alt, probably, so alchemy (for another transmute master) and probably enchanting

Thinking Alchemy/Tailor for my Mistweaver.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zene View Post
    Why is BS so powerful?
    It's because the Blacksmithing profession perk is two free gem slots, which are more valuable than the 320 int/320 agility/480 stamina that most of the other professions get. For mistweavers it means getting 640 spirit. For brewmasters it means getting 640 hit/expertise/haste.

Engineering and Alchemy are what I am going for!

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    JC / Alchemy on my monk ... maybe enchanting
    Gaming Rig:
    Intel i5 3570k OC @4.5 / Asrock Extreme 4 Z77 / Corsair Vengance 1600 ddr3 (16gigs) / Crucial M4 128gig (system/games), 1tb Western Digital 7,200 (file drive) / AMD Radeon 7950 / Corsair Carbide 600t / Seasonic M12II 620w / Asus 24inch LCD / Windows 7 64bit

Probably too late, but Inscription can craft Staves now, that's probably a good incentive to go inscription on your monk if you don't have it already.
    Samin
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashrana View Post
    So, what would be your reaction, if you found out, that come cata release first patch, blizzard were planning to kill everyone by sending a bear through the mail?

My monk isn't going to be hardcore or anything like that, so professions don't mean a thing to me. I'll just pick whatever I feel like, but I already have every profession maxed out, so who knows. lol.

I know that I'll be going Jewelcrafting on my Monk. Beyond that... Probably Blacksmithing, for the versitality. It's going to be my new main, so need to be min maxing. I also happen to have every other profession on other alts, so I basically have free reign to choose whatever I need to. Is nice.

Im going Herbalism and Inscriptions... purely for the staff, however, i might change that and go Inscriptions and Enchanting, as i do have 2 Herbalists already.

Unless scribes get a BOP staff that's better than raid drops (ala BC professions) there's really no reason to pick it over anything else other than economic ones.

BS will be the most powerful raiding profession again in 5.4 or w/e just like it has been since Wrath. Otherwise, every other prof is pretty balanced since they nerfed the new Synapse Springs.

My fiancee is going JC/Alch, mainly because BS is a pain to level.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am going to go BS. The extra sockets will allow me to dump in large hit/Exp gems since those are supposed to be very important again.

For my 2nd profession I will be going Alch.

Deleted
    Im going BS/JC probally

Quote Originally Posted by Purenight View Post
    I am going BS and JC......trying to min max
    JC is not automatically the best profession anymore....

Gems are different in MoP and they give more secondary stats than primary stats.

So, depending on class and spec, BS and JC could be the best or they could be equal to the others.

------

Also, just grab two gathering professions while leveling and then use the money made from that stuff to powerlevel the professions that you want.

I'd suggest mining and herbalism only because both also gives XP while gathering.
    Last edited by Rackfu; 2012-09-07 at 01:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Coldtooth View Post
    Leatherworking or Alchemy? I have basically every profession to a decently high level except Inscription and Leatherworking (both sitting roughly under 300). I have a 525 Skinner and Herbalist, basically I'm just stuck on what would be the best profession to pick. My current 525 alchemist is a transmute master. Which professions would you guys go with (can be something besides LWing or Alchemy if you have any recommendations) ?
    I'm not a fan of going Alchemy on hybrid classes unless you don't plan to play any secondary roles at all. The only bonus you get in raiding with Alchemy is longer flasks with the pumped stats, but if you're switching roles in a raid instance a lot (like for example if you're the offtank with the dps offspec that has to switch back and forth all the time) then you're going through a lot of flasks a night because you have to switch from tank flasks to dps flasks. The extra duration doesn't help you any.
    Humans are the only species on the planet smart enough to be this stupid.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well if you were switching rolls often you would be swapping flasks regardless, so that doesn't really matter. Unless you don't care about it, in which case it would but then why would you care about missing out on 320 stats if you don't want to re flask for a different role anyway.