The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by treclol View Post
    I'm not sure if this is the correct thread to ask this question, but here goes.

I played MTG for several years, from around the time of Revised, to Urza's Destiny, and from then I never picked up on it again. I still have, quite literally, tens of thousands of cards stashed away. Recently, I discovered by accident that some of those old rares of which I have tons of, the kinds of which would go anywhere from $3 to maybe $20 back then, are now going for several hundred dollars a piece.

Since I don't play anymore, and I have no intention of playing again, I was wondering if anyone here could link me a somewhat reliable price database that covers these old cards, seeing as those prices that I just mentioned were just cherry picked from random different websites that I found by googling for a few individual cards. Is there such a website, or is it more like, each website comes up with their own prices, or something like that?

Thanks
    You just found it

Try to find your local card shop for details

If you live in Europe, https://www.magiccardmarket.eu/ is the answer. It is used almost unanimously as the de facto price guide, since it is market-driven.

If not, it's hard to find a single place that tells you great prices. I would suggest checking ebay auctions and http://www.tcgplayer.com/ maybe.

Hope you get some good trades, and inject some more cards into circulation ^_^... A pity you aren't interested in playing again.

I played MTG for several years, from around the time of Revised, to Urza's Destiny, and from then I never picked up on it again. I still have, quite literally, tens of thousands of cards stashed away. Recently, I discovered by accident that some of those old rares of which I have tons of, the kinds of which would go anywhere from $3 to maybe $20 back then, are now going for several hundred dollars a piece.

Since I don't play anymore, and I have no intention of playing again, I was wondering if anyone here could link me a somewhat reliable price database that covers these old cards, seeing as those prices that I just mentioned were just cherry picked from random different websites that I found by googling for a few individual cards. Is there such a website, or is it more like, each website comes up with their own prices, or something like that?

Thanks
    If I had money I would be able to cut that middle man out.

Checking multiple sites is probably best. I usually go with TCGPlayer average price for cards.

Dontrike/Shadow Priest/Black Cell Faction Friend Code - 5172-0967-3866

Got some new information from Comic Con.

Khans of Tarkir
    * Sarkhan,
    * Kahns is bottom up set, Large/small/Large
    * a unique draft structure and time travel element
    * draft kahn/kahn/kahn then add 2nd set, but then drafting large sets together
    * Tarkir is a plane of five warring clans! Each worships one aspect of the (now extinct) dragons...
    * Kahns killed the dragons,clans lead by warlords. Each clan has dragon attributes speed/cunning.savagery,ruthless,endurance
    * ENEMY WEDGE COLORS
    * WBG. The Azban Houses Dragon aspect: Endurance. Symbol: Scale of the Dragon. Khan: Anafenza
    * URW. The Jeskai Way Dragon aspect: Cunning. Symbol: Eye of the Dragon. Khan: Narset
    * BGU. The Sultai Brood Dragon aspect: Ruthlessness. Symbol: Fang of the Dragon. Khan: Sidisi
    * RWB. The Mardu Horde Dragon aspect: Speed. Symbol: Wings of the Dragon. Khan: Zurgo Helmsmasher. Ogres
    * GUR. The Temur Frontier Dragon aspect: Savagery. Symbol: Claw of the Dragon. Khan: Surrak Dragonclaw
    * kahns has Djin and efreet!
    * Each clan gets their own mechanic,
    * MORPH MAKES A TRIUMPHANT RETURN! Its the 6th mechanic
    * Morph isn't the only returning mechanic

Prerelease

* Seeded packs
    * FORTY POSSIBLE PRERELEASE CARDS AT THE KHANS PRERELEASE. That's eight possible prerelease rares per color!

From the Vault: Annihilation

* Armageddon (new art)
    * Wrath of God (new art)
    * Living Dead
    * Rolling Eathquake
    * Cataclysm

Duel Decks: Speed vs. Cunning

* Zurgo, Helmsmasher (he is a Kahn) RWB Orc Warrior
    * Arcanis the Omipotent
    * Duel deck hints at wedges

On a personal note I can't fucking wait for this one. Arcanis is one of my favorite cards and the only one I had was stolen years ago, but never got around to getting another one, this will be the best way to get it and it has sick art to boot.

Commander (2014)
    * Out November 7th
    * 5 monocolor Commander decks
    * Several planeswalkers with Commander status, all characters from magic's past
    * Teferi, Temporal Archmage (planeswalker as commander)
    * Ghoulcaller Gisa

Last edited by Dontrike; 2014-07-26 at 08:20 PM.

So I just started playing MtG for the first time a month or so ago, in the form of Magic 2014, on Steam. My question is this: are the mechanics the same from the video game to the physical card game? 20 health, etc. I assume so.

And as a random question, what type of deck would be best suited to kill a pure white deck, focused on summon a shit-ton of 2/2 tokens? I always seem to lose around turn six. :X

They are going to rerelease these four Duel Decks.

Quote Originally Posted by icedwarrior View Post
    So I just started playing MtG for the first time a month or so ago, in the form of Magic 2014, on Steam. My question is this: are the mechanics the same from the video game to the physical card game? 20 health, etc. I assume so.

And as a random question, what type of deck would be best suited to kill a pure white deck, focused on summon a shit-ton of 2/2 tokens? I always seem to lose around turn six. :X
    All of the mechanics from Duels of the Planeswalkers are indeed the same as the physical card game.

As for your strategy question on white decks. It depends on what they are doing as there are a few different white strategies. The best thing to do is to see what they are doing and try to counter it.

If they are using a lot of white creatures then wiping the board clean is good with cards that destroy all creatures or damaging every creature to kill them off.
    If they are gaining a bunch of life, and if you are playing the physical card game, you can use cards that stop them from gaining life through various cards like Sulfuric Vortex or Skullcrack.

As you gain more experience in playing you can definitely out perform decks if you have the cards available to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Dontrike View Post
    All of the mechanics from Duels of the Planeswalkers are indeed the same as the physical card game.
    I assumed so. 20 HP doesn't seem like a lot, but it can be. I feel like 30 is a better number, but it works. Thanks.

As for your strategy question on white decks. It depends on what they are doing as there are a few different white strategies. The best thing to do is to see what they are doing and try to counter it.

If they are using a lot of white creatures then wiping the board clean is good with cards that destroy all creatures or damaging every creature to kill them off.
    I really don't see a viable counter so far. They always open their turn with an aura (? it's off to the side, if in opening hand, can be played for free; gives +1/+1 to all their white creatures), and they spawn a shit ton of 1/1 monsters. I just can't keep up with the constant 2/2 monsters through the buffs. Which deck theme would be the best, do you think, to counter this type of deck?

If they are gaining a bunch of life, and if you are playing the physical card game
    They ignore health gaining; just straight swarming the board is all they do. And this is pure digital, so I'm restricted on some cards.

Let me launch the game and I'll give a play by play; this specific duel always plays the same every time.

Hmm, thought it was pure white. Looks like it isn't.

Turn 0: Leyline of the Meek
    Turn 1: 1 Forest, end turn.
    Turn 2: 1 Mountain, Dragon Fodder
    Turn 3: 1 Plain, Midnight Haunting
    Turn 4: 1 Forest, Fertile Imagination
    Turn 5: 1 Plain, Epic Struggle
    Turn 6: 1 Mountain, Captain of the Watch
    Turn 7: One Dozen Eyes (picks 5x 1/1 monsters)

And that's as far as I can get. I got close this time, got him to 5, but too many monsters...
    Last edited by icedwarrior; 2014-07-26 at 10:01 PM.

I assumed so. 20 HP doesn't seem like a lot, but it can be. I feel like 30 is a better number, but it works. Thanks.
    Other formats of the game have more life. Two Headed Giant which is a 2v2 match had 30 life for each team and Commander, or EDH, gives you a starting life of 40. 20 can both seem like a lot or very little depending on your opponent's deck.

I really don't see a viable counter so far. They always open their turn with an aura (? it's off to the side, if in opening hand, can be played for free; gives +1/+1 to all their white creatures), and they spawn a shit ton of 1/1 monsters. I just can't keep up with the constant 2/2 monsters through the buffs. Which deck theme would be the best, do you think, to counter this type of deck?

They ignore health gaining; just straight swarming the board is all they do. And this is pure digital, so I'm restricted on some cards.

Let me launch the game and I'll give a play by play; this specific duel always plays the same every time.

Hmm, thought it was pure white. Looks like it isn't.

Turn 0: Leyline of the Meek
    Turn 1: 1 Forest, end turn.
    Turn 2: 1 Mountain, Dragon Fodder
    Turn 3: 1 Plain, Midnight Haunting
    Turn 4: 1 Forest, Fertile Imagination
    Turn 5: 1 Plain, Epic Struggle
    Turn 6: 1 Mountain, Captain of the Watch
    Turn 7: One Dozen Eyes (picks 5x 1/1 monsters)

And that's as far as I can get. I got close this time, got him to 5, but too many monsters...
    That is definitely a pain in the ass, that is for sure. Does your opponent open up the same every time? I can't say that I am completely familiar with that deck from DotP 2014, must be from one of the DLCs. The best plan is, most likely, wiping the field of all creatures.

Other formats of the game have more life. Two Headed Giant which is a 2v2 match had 30 life for each team and Commander, or EDH, gives you a starting life of 40. 20 can both seem like a lot or very little depending on your opponent's deck.
    I've found the most fun is doing Two Headed Giant, random deck x4 and play it out.

That is definitely a pain in the ass, that is for sure. Does your opponent open up the same every time? I can't say that I am completely familiar with that deck from DotP 2014, must be from one of the DLCs. The best plan is, most likely, wiping the field of all creatures.
    Yes, always the same exact plays (well, might block or attack differently, but same monsters summoning, etc), and yes, it is an expansion fight. How would you suggest wiping the field of all creatures? Which color deck(s) do you think would combat this the best?

Got some more images.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, always the same exact plays (well, might block or attack differently, but same monsters summoning, etc), and yes, it is an expansion fight. How would you suggest wiping the field of all creatures? Which color deck(s) do you think would combat this the best?
    The colors that usually do wiping the field best is red and white with black being able to do it and blue having that option as well.

I know that in DotP 2014 the "Eldrazi" deck has two board wipes in it with All is Dust, but it costing 7 runs you the risk of losing before you can play it, although the deck does have a lot of mana ramp (getting more lands or creating more mana).I think it is called <something> Mul Daya.

That is the only deck I know of with something like that though as I never bought any of the extra decks.
    Last edited by Dontrike; 2014-07-26 at 11:27 PM.

Just pulled a nissa, foil garruk, and a urbog in the same pack.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Coraulten View Post
    Gratz, my friend got a Nissa too

Thanks
    that game still lives? I have like hockey deck boxes full of the first edition somewhere in my closet....

10+ Year Old Account
    Not feeling like multi-quoting for whatever reason, but things to say.

Don, is that khan thing the next block? I'm a little confused. Also, that Speed versus Cunning seems like a cool idea for a Duel Deck.

Iced, indeed Duels of the Planeswalker is a visual translation of the physical game. But, because the deck choices are limited, you don't get a great feel for how the game truly plays. So go out and spend TONS of money!. Though, if you see a deck idea in the game you like, you can look up some ideas on building a physical deck. My personal favorite decks are most of the decks from 2012, and the mono-white life gain deck from 2013.

My best was a Gravecrawler, and whatever the mythic rare wereworlf was from Innistrad, in the same pack. Gave em both away to my friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post

My best was a Gravecrawler, and whatever the mythic rare wereworlf was from Innistrad, in the same pack. Gave em both away to my friends.
    Thats funny, i used some of the trade in to get a foil huntsman of the fells . INC Werewolf/vampire EDH deck for the funz.

Checking multiple sites is probably best. I usually go with TCGPlayer average price for cards.
    That's my go to place.

Terefi Planeswalker... who can also be a commander. Hmm. Ultimates aren't usually a consideration, he'd only be able to use Jace and Tamiyo, but he's quiet enough that you might actually be able to pull it off.

Sold my collection, but then a work buddy started getting into MtG and I give him some deck pointers. And I love Ajani, so was thinking of going back and buying up just the Ajani's, since there are so damn many of them now.

- - - Updated - - -

How'd you get 3 rares in one pack? That's the tits lol Never been overly lucky, my roommate though would always just randomly buy 2 packs and end up pulling Huntsman and Avacyn. We made him buy dinner that night.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

10+ Year Old Account
    Reprinting some of the duel decks? Good, I missed out on elves vs goblins first time around.

I hope khans is good, theros left a bad taste in my mouth. Like, Kamigawa bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

Iced, indeed Duels of the Planeswalker is a visual translation of the physical game. But, because the deck choices are limited, you don't get a great feel for how the game truly plays. So go out and spend TONS of money!. Though, if you see a deck idea in the game you like, you can look up some ideas on building a physical deck. My personal favorite decks are most of the decks from 2012, and the mono-white life gain deck from 2013.
    Well, I'd rather play an online version where I have access to more cards than I would have physically, not to mention I have literally no one to play with, physically. Meanwhile, I can play DotP 2014 with my IRL friend who is currently in Wisconsin. Playing against friends is much better than playing against random people.

I enjoy late-game decks, I find, such as that green deck that plays 8-12 cost colorless cards, can't remember the name. I also enjoy the black / blue deck in DotP 2014 that relies on discarding big cards, then reviving them. Those are my two favorite decks at the moment, the black / blue a bit moreso.

Don, is that khan thing the next block? I'm a little confused. Also, that Speed versus Cunning seems like a cool idea for a Duel Deck.
    Khans of Tarkir is indeed the next block.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, I'd rather play an online version where I have access to more cards than I would have physically, not to mention I have literally no one to play with, physically. Meanwhile, I can play DotP 2014 with my IRL friend who is currently in Wisconsin. Playing against friends is much better than playing against random people.

I enjoy late-game decks, I find, such as that green deck that plays 8-12 cost colorless cards, can't remember the name. I also enjoy the black / blue deck in DotP 2014 that relies on discarding big cards, then reviving them. Those are my two favorite decks at the moment, the black / blue a bit moreso.
    MTG Online might tickle your fancy. Far as I know, you have to pay for every card like you normally would a physical copy.

Green ramp decks are indeed fun. I run a green/blue one with my friends that works well in multiplayer. Zendikar just had a ton of cool shit.

I feel black/blue always falls short. Like how cipher ended up being a super slow mechanic. Faeries were the most aggressive blue/black deck, and was insanely overpowered.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, holy crap I just saw that link Don. Elves vs. Goblins coming back, yes please!

- - - Updated - - -

My friend will be happy, morph is coming back. For years I've heard him rave about his old morph deck. As long as it remains green/blue, he'll probably go nuts.