Page 70 of 114 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I'm getting pretty damn close to finishing off my Karador EDH deck, so I figured I'd share what I have so far.

(not) Pretty pictures!

and a decklist.

10+ Year Old Account
    Question: Why does protection from a color cause an aura on that creature to be destroyed? It's already on the creature. It's not being targeted or damaged by it. Why does the aura go away?

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    Question: Why does protection from a color cause an aura on that creature to be destroyed? It's already on the creature. It's not being targeted or damaged by it. Why does the aura go away?
    I believe it has something to do with the D.E.B.T system where a creature with protection can not be damaged, enchanted, blocked, or targeted. Just the way it has always been.

Dontrike/Shadow Priest/Black Cell Faction Friend Code - 5172-0967-3866

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dontrike View Post
    I believe it has something to do with the D.E.B.T system where a creature with protection can not be damaged, enchanted, blocked, or targeted. Just the way it has always been.
    But none of those things are happening. The aura is already on the creature, so it is not being targeted. It's a static effect already in place.

But none of those things are happening. The aura is already on the creature, so it is not being targeted. It's a static effect already in place.
    It may seem clunky to you, and it does to me on occasion, but I suppose you could spin it like "they become immune to that magic and it breaks it" type of thing. Do note that this is also true for equipment if the equipment is colored or the creature gains protection from artifacts, and in this case the equipment just couldn't be held due to some magic shenanigans.

Quote Originally Posted by tgoodchild View Post
    We had a pretty good time last night. Bought 9 packs and gave 3 each to myself, my son and my girlfriend. We then built 40-card decks out of them and had some 3-player games. Was a blast, seeing cards we never would have played with otherwise.
    Limited can certainly be a more entertaining experience from time to time.

Yes it is. An aura is enchanting a creature. Look at the text of every modern aura: "Enchanted creature <something something".

The E part of dEbt is Equipping/Enchanting. When you play an aura or activate the equip ability of an equipment, you are not equipping or enchanting anything. No, you are simply TARGETTING that something, and that is covered by the T in debT. The E is there exactly to cover the ongoing effect of an equipment or enchantment.

Signed me and my girlfriend up for prelease on Sunday. I'll be going with Silumgar and she's repping Dromoka. I'm hoping a bunch of ppl aren't interested in their dice and we can pick up some extras This is the first prerelease for both of us, hope it's as fun as we've heard.
    It certainly can be fun, or you end up with not so great cards and drop in round 3.

Also disappointed at the announced MM2015 availability. Clearly it won't be in any big box stores and I don't think either Hastings or the local comic shop (my 2 choices of LGS for FNM and such) will be getting any so it's pretty much going to be a big 'meh' for me. I've got two decent Modern decks already anyway so I'll manage I suppose.
    Was there an official announcement on this? From what they said early on MM2 would have a higher print run than MM1, but it wouldn't be like any normal set and still be limited.

There was this: Modern Masters Allocation

And a discussion about it on Reddit

I may be reading it all wrong, but from that I'm gathering it will not be available at places like Walmart or Target, which are mostly my source for product. Like I said, I have a Hasting's and comic store about 30 minutes away but the comic shop is always lean on product and Hastings is not overly stocked (except with Playmats, for some reason) so I have no confidence I'll find any at either of those. It's the perils of small town living, I guess
    Yeah, it certainly won't be at Walmart or Target as they would probably be high targets for theft, but it should be easier to get at LGS's this time around. It is a good thing my LGS had a thing where if you preordered the last two sets you are able to be first in line to get them, so I should be able to snag a few.

Speaking Of MM2, I am still surprised Goyf isn't rare, but at least we should get stuff like Noble Hierarch at its appropriate rarity. Hopefully we don't get something like the Kamigawa dragon cycle again. I am alright with a mythic cycle, but it better be the Praetors, at least those are more useful.

- - - Updated - - -

The newest Event Deck is so incredibly bad. I can't imagine what pro player made the deck and thought "This is totally awesome" because it isn't. The only card worth anything is Thunderbreak Regent and the entire deck has no real purpose or being a basic structure for a well known deck. They could have easily made up for the rest of the deck by just adding in a fetch land, or just doing a simple green/red devotion deck.

Event decks haven't been all that great for a few years now, but man this is a new level of low.
    Last edited by Dontrike; 2015-03-19 at 02:24 PM.

Looks like I might be going to an SCG Open next month, just have to decide if I want to make a Standard deck or do side events the whole time.

Well, if you don't have a standard deck, I'd assume that is because you don't like to play standard. Doesn't that answer the question in and off itself?

Quote Originally Posted by Snorkle View Post
    Well, if you don't have a standard deck, I'd assume that is because you don't like to play standard. Doesn't that answer the question in and off itself?
    That is because I haven't been able to play Standard, but I have been keeping watch.

I was thinking Esper, maybe Jeskai, control, or monoblack humans, or Assault Formation (starring Phenax as back up wincon).

Of course while there I will most likely drop and play some Commander/Draft side events.

- - - Updated - - -

Had a Commander game where I went infinite with Dualcaster Mage when someone tried to kick Rite of Replication, it was entertaining to say the least.

Got some decent stuff recently. Damnable Pact is a nice versatile card, pretty sure it will replace Ancient Craving in my Tariel EDH.

Poor MTG the cards look like absolute crap now. I miss the good Ol Urza's sets damn Dynasty destroyed cards and brought the whole Creature- crap gimme my good ol Summon cards.

In my circle of friends and tournaments I played in we had a rule no cards newer then Apocalypse set. and I loved it, all my cards are currently illegal for tournament play now days. But I have some pretty nasty decks my necrovamp deck is the shit 2 creatures and all black vamp cards. But my favorite deck by far was my buddies Decking deck that ran you out or cards in 5 turns before the whole odyssey set that let you do in in 2 with lame gimmic cards.

Quote Originally Posted by schwank05 View Post
    Poor MTG the cards look like absolute crap now. I miss the good Ol Urza's sets damn Dynasty destroyed cards and brought the whole Creature- crap gimme my good ol Summon cards.

In my circle of friends and tournaments I played in we had a rule no cards newer then Apocalypse set. and I loved it, all my cards are currently illegal for tournament play now days. But I have some pretty nasty decks my necrovamp deck is the shit 2 creatures and all black vamp cards. But my favorite deck by far was my buddies Decking deck that ran you out or cards in 5 turns before the whole odyssey set that let you do in in 2 with lame gimmic cards.
    Sounds like a bit of nostalgia to me. While some changes have been more annoying *cough*creatures being so absurd the last 5 years and spells haven't kept up as much*cough*, all of the other changes have been better for the game.

Let's face it that summon and interrupt were silly on cards, especially "you can tap this for mana as though it was an interrupt" was just bad. Not to mention the keywords now make cards so much easier to read.

Also, what is a gimmick card? 'Cause I am sure that there are cards before the Urza's block that were also quite gimmicky.

- - - Updated - - -

Gotta love it when you are having a conversation with someone who doesn't want to play Magic anymore because of Goblin Rabblemaster and says that RDW wins is a noob thing to do.
    Last edited by Dontrike; 2015-03-22 at 03:01 AM.

Good to hear you had fun. I've been to a number of them and have only been able to top 8 two of them, but my LGS has people that play in State Championships and even a pro or two from time to time.

That playmat looks like it was drawn by the people who make Munchkin.

10+ Year Old Account
    Gotta love it when you are having a conversation with someone who doesn't want to play Magic anymore because of Goblin Rabblemaster and says that RDW wins is a noob thing to do.
    I play elves so...yeah.

Actually, when I play my friends, it's my "I'm sick of losing" deck. Because it very, VERY rarely loses.

I play elves so...yeah.

Actually, when I play my friends, it's my "I'm sick of losing" deck. Because it very, VERY rarely loses.
    It was like talking to a crazy person.

He said things like......

Aggro is for noobs and only two and three color decks are hard to play.

Something is wrong with a meta if a $50 can win.

People only run RDW to win.

It hurt me, it actually hurt me.

- - - Updated - - -

Thinking of taking a silly Assault Formation deck to the SCG Open, but the choices for the colors make it so hard to choose. Abzan, Sultai, Bant, and Temur are all possible.

I want to live the dream of casting Disowned Ancestor turn 1, Dragon's Eye Savants turn 2, Assault Formation turn 3 and swing for 10.

But if I do that then I can't play a 5/5 Siege Rhino.

All of them have their pros and cons. White gives Nyx-fleece Ram and Jeskai Barricade to save creatures (and also deal more damage with Siege Rhino), blue gives me Wall of Frost and Profaner of the Dead to wipe my opponents board, black gives me some decent high toughness creatures and access to removal, and finally red only gives me Crater Elemental, but I am certainly not getting 8 power on the board. And then Phenax for an alternate wincon.

I probably won't go with that deck, but that would be great to even get top 64 with it.
    Last edited by Dontrike; 2015-03-23 at 01:47 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Djoron View Post
    No bans / unbans! \o/

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles...ent-2015-03-23

Well, besides Dig ban in pauper and skullclamp in 100 singleton.
    I cannot imagine Treasure Cruise having any reason to be banned. Delve revamp is terrible.

Well, unlike in legacy, the pauper blue delver deck WAS having a very high win percentage. Cruise's ban helps a lot here.

Do you follow the format?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Snorkle View Post
    Well, unlike in legacy, the pauper blue delver deck WAS having a very high win percentage. Cruise's ban helps a lot here.

Do you follow the format?
    Nope. I tend to value cards in a more general worth. I don't pay attention to specific formats.