Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by StationaryHawk View Post
    Would have preferred a trailer similar to the cinematics we see in the game (that is, the moving art and whatnot),
    Yeah, I think that would have been great, especially considering their art is really good-looking and distinctive.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ZenX View Post
    TL;DR: The trailer is crap and if this is how the game is presented to masses it is an utter lie.
    O_o

Can you please put into words what the lie is? The problem with this trailer is that they haven't actually said anything about the game, let alone shown anything about what it is.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

After watching it a few times, just to be sure, I think this would make for a really good perfume/cologne commercial. I'm actually anticipating the Calvin Klein after the nightgown swimming girl.

As an ad for a game, any game, this fails on just about every level.

Why do people buy art? Are the pictures always amazing? Do we look at abstract art and exclaim how we don't understand it, yet others seem interested and then for some reason we try to look deeper?

GW2 is really...artsy, for lack of a better word. Why would you expect otherwise from them? I don't think it's typical in terms of what gaming companies have done, but that doesn't mean it's not good. It's different.

With CG, you're always left wondering, "Is that how the game looks when I play it?" If someone bought WoW: MoP expecting it to be like the trailer CG, they'd be disappointed.

I'm not saying it's not a weird choice, because doing something different always is; I'm saying just because it doesn't fit the current MMO/game trends of commercials, doesn't mean it's bad.

People, not gamers, mind you, don't need to see a game to be intrigued to look into it. Avid gamers already know about this game through social media; if this is for anyone, it's for the average non-gamer. If that's the case, they don't even need to show it, just get people to look into it more.

Ever see Better Off Ted? Jabberwocky? Exactly.

Some people just can't grasp why it's not bad, which is fine, because you should be playing the game right now if you're not at work like I am.
    Last edited by WorldofWorkcraft; 2012-09-10 at 06:45 PM.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's an artsy-fartsy metaphor that this game is expanisve, immersive, and fringe culture. It directly targets the market it wants, Adolescent-Tweens, while the dark overtones emit a much more adult environment than other game ads. I can see exactly why they did this and I don't have a problem with it.

I clearly see market research saying this game is dark, sexy, bold, rebellious. +5 for having the Norn tattoos coming out on her face..that was awesome.

10+ Year Old Account
    Er I hated it, wtf were they thinking?

I forgot I was watching GW2 and was expecting the Secret World to pop up.
    Last edited by Tekkommo; 2012-09-10 at 06:54 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    It's an artsy-fartsy metaphor that this game is expanisve, immersive, and fringe culture. It directly targets the market it wants, Adolescent-Tweens, while the dark overtones emit a much more adult environment than other game ads. I can see exactly why they did this and I don't have a problem with it.

I clearly see market research saying this game is dark, sexy, bold, rebellious. +5 for having the Norn tattoos coming out on her face..that was awesome.
    Don't forget the Charr shaking his fur and jowls!

And yes, it was the most epic trailer I've seen for awhile now. Loved the feel of it as a whole.

+10/10 bonus experience for ArenaNet!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by SirRobin View Post
    That trailer must be for the EU market or something. Stateside most folks watching will think its some sort of tennis shoe commercial until the last few seconds.
    I'm from EU and honestly I was expecting the Nike logo after the first half of the trailer.

If this was a teaser released 6 months ago, it would be great. For a release trailer? Not so much.

Errrrr, what the hell does this have to do with GW2?...

AWFUL

Quote Originally Posted by Achyra View Post
    I don't think there is a way to avoid a cliche. Skinny guys? Cliche. Fat gamer guy? Cliche. Ugly, overweight gamer chick? Cliche. Hot gamer chick? Cliche.
    How about a middle-aged gaming mom?

There is a post on another forum that puts it into words quite eloquently

So what was the trailer about? Themes of freedom from stagnation, subversion, progression, "cool" subculture revolution, basically the whole works. Propaganda to relate playing an MMO videogame to freeing yourself. This is pretty much the lowest point of advertising, where it tries to manipulate you. It doesn't just show you a product and exhort its positives, it shows you a LIFESTYLE. You want to be a cool kid? Play Guild Wars 2. The time is now!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvanie View Post
    How about a middle-aged gaming mom?
    You ever watch The Guild before?
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WorldofWorkcraft View Post
    With CG, you're always left wondering, "Is that how the game looks when I play it?" If someone bought WoW: MoP expecting it to be like the trailer CG, they'd be disappointed.
    I dont think anyone with an ounce of intellect or gaming knowledge would confuse CGI to be in game footage, seriously that is crazy talk.

10+ Year Old Account
    Beginning reminded me of this... ... .. terrifying peice of internet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erh2ngRZxs0&feature=plcp

That alone made me dislike the trailer. Concept wise, it's okay though for the point it tries to get across.

10+ Year Old Account
    The hell was that? And our time is now, what? Stick to ingame stuff Anet.

10+ Year Old Account
    What the..

Seriously, haha, such a idiot , morally harmful video. A girl escaping from the police, using a spray?
    Our time is now.. to be an idiot and end arrested. Only good part was the beginning with my sylvari on the sofa and the spray girl, quite beautiful.
    Meh at least they didn't use a fake CGI like WoW must do, to sell their new stupid expansion XD
    That one was real time graphic of GW2, quite impressive.

Deleted
    Patch 1.1 video trailer
    <<Rise up and join together . We must reclaim what is our>>
    <<If ur server have the balls and we need all of u , step up into Orr and try to capture and mainten its <<6 points>> , while a big flying suprise will show up later on :P

Mix fealings about the video , but i liked the petrified first part

10+ Year Old Account
    lost somewhere in the corn fields of middle America
    You ever watch The Guild before?
    Dude I raided with this person lol. Every time I watch that she gives me chills and reminds me of someone in my old WoW guild

10+ Year Old Account
    My location is irrelevant to your interests
    I think it was very well made and quite unique. Nothing more to say really.