Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Engineers in current mmorpgs?

Are engineers a new addition? I've been seeing more of them lately? Like how they've been recently implemented into games like guild wars 2. Or the engineer in guild wars 2 which wasn't in the first game. How come there's been more of them lately?
    And how do they fit in with the traditional archetypes? Warriors, rogues, clerics, and mages. I put the ranger into the rogue archetype if you were wondering where that went.

Where else have you been seeing engineers besides GW2? I don't think they've become recently popular or anything. They just kind of pop up every now and then as a little something different, but I wouldn't consider it something that just recently started. I think they fit into the fantasy setting decently. The idea of guns and machinery in medieval fantasy settings isn't a new one. I mean, there's engineering in WoW along with rifles as weapons and that fits in perfectly with the lore that Blizzard made, imo. It could fit in well or it could stand out depending on the background of the particular game.

Quote Originally Posted by wynnyelle View Post
    Where else have you been seeing engineers besides GW2? I don't think they've become recently popular or anything. They just kind of pop up every now and then as a little something different, but I wouldn't consider it something that just recently started. I think they fit into the fantasy setting decently. The idea of guns and machinery in medieval fantasy settings isn't a new one. I mean, there's engineering in WoW along with rifles as weapons and that fits in perfectly with the lore that Blizzard made, imo. It could fit in well or it could stand out depending on the background of the particular game.
    what traditional archetype warrior rogue mage and cleric would they fit in?
    would it be possible to characterize engineers if I gave a specific example? For example, the engineer in tf2, battlefield 3, and guild wars 2. Where would each fit in?
    And additionally talking about unique classes, where would clsases like the merchant class in ragnarok online or the dancer class fit in? And additionally the dealer class in rose online and the trader class in lineage 2?
    thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Ishida52134 View Post
    would it be possible to characterize engineers if I gave a specific example? For example, the engineer in tf2, battlefield 3, and guild wars 2. Where would each fit in?
    And additionally talking about unique classes, where would clsases like the merchant class in ragnarok online or the dancer class fit in? And additionally the dealer class in rose online and the trader class in lineage 2?
    thanks.
    I don't think that they fit into the traditional archetypes. You can fit a lot of classes into those archetypes, but nowadays there is such a diverse span of classes that you really can't place them into only 4 archetypes. Depending on what class you're looking at, they tend to have individual aspects from all of the archetypes as well as their own unique characteristics, which makes it difficult to place them. This is all my opinion, though, and I'm sure some people feel differently.

I think they fit in with the rogue archetype. Rogues are suppose to be crafty and sneaky, making contraptions that give you a tactical advantage is very roguish. Rogues kinda have that traditional ninja feel to them, real ninjas used all types of specialty contraptions. It is also supported by the Batman rogue type character. Of course I play a rogue who is an engineer so I am a bit bias, would love to hear other thoughts on this. Good Topic OP.

Quote Originally Posted by wynnyelle View Post
    I don't think that they fit into the traditional archetypes. You can fit a lot of classes into those archetypes, but nowadays there is such a diverse span of classes that you really can't place them into only 4 archetypes. Depending on what class you're looking at, they tend to have individual aspects from all of the archetypes as well as their own unique characteristics, which makes it difficult to place them. This is all my opinion, though, and I'm sure some people feel differently.
    is there any set of archetypes that can apply to everything in the world?
    Well imo, the traditional archetypes can do that. Like for example, we can even relate the carl jung archetypes with them. Warrior personality fits that of the hero, rogue with the villain/antihero, the shadow personality, and the mage with the herald, the wise man.

btw, since I like rogues and warriors out of the traditional archetypes hte most, does that mean anything? Is there a unifying characteristic between them?

thanks.

Engineers come from Warhammer. Which borrowed it from D&D rangers. Which borrowed it from Tolkien. In Warcraft they are called huntards. Or at least that was what they called me lol.

Engineers are just the love child of a thief and a hunter in a steampunk-inspired environment.

Deleted
    Oh, fantasy specific engineers was it?

And here I was going to mention my Droid Engineer crafter in SWG.

Quote Originally Posted by Spaceshaman View Post
    Engineers come from Warhammer. Which borrowed it from D&D rangers. Which borrowed it from Tolkien. In Warcraft they are called huntards. Or at least that was what they called me lol.
    I don't think anything in Tolkien really matches the steampunk or magitech of modern video game fantasy engineers, DnD is a more likely original source.

would it still be so if we go specifically?

There seems to be many opinions on it. Some poeple say the engineer is a mage.

Deleted
    There seems to be many opinions on it. Some poeple say the engineer is a mage.
    Lol, that's just weird..Can't see the connection?

Cause tbh they fit the cleric archtype, their minds are clearly blessed by the gods...Or something.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfInvocation View Post
    Lol, that's just weird..Can't see the connection?

Cause tbh they fit the cleric archtype, their minds are clearly blessed by the gods...Or something.
    some people state tech=magic in another setting.

Engineers are a homage to steampunk subculture.

and whoever compared Engineers to Clerics - what? Engineers are similar to mages, if they were to be compared to any caster class at all, since both use ingenuity, research and the power of the mind (rather than extraplanar assistance) to operate.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashnazg View Post
    Engineers are a homage to steampunk subculture.

and whoever compared Engineers to Clerics - what? Engineers are similar to mages, if they were to be compared to any caster class at all, since both use ingenuity, research and the power of the mind (rather than extraplanar assistance) to operate.
    well in a futuristic world like in tf2 or mass effect 3. Would engineers replace mages or would they not?
    What would define magic in such a setting? The bio class in mass effect 3?
    How do we define a mage in general?

And I like rogues and warrior classes basically. How can I tell if something is a rogue/warrior? out of rogue warrior cleric mages general classes. I dump rangers into the rogue class btw.

---------- Post added 2012-09-16 at 11:11 PM ----------

Where would the engineer class in torchlight 2? Lol so many recent games are starting to add engineers as one of their core classes.

The Dragon Nest also implemented the Engineer not that long ago...

Aside from the warrior, cleric, sorceress and archer the engineer is a new addition to the characters. Now DN has 20 job classes to choose from...

Quote Originally Posted by xXxMADoOo View Post
    The Dragon Nest also implemented the Engineer not that long ago...

Aside from the warrior, cleric, sorceress and archer the engineer is a new addition to the characters. Now DN has 20 job classes to choose from...
    so where does the dn engineer fit the best? warrior rogue cleric mage?
    Okay fine, basically I like the warrior and rogue classes. I just want to know whether the engineer or other unique classes is similar to the rogue and warrior calsses.

---------- Post added 2012-09-17 at 03:15 AM ----------

what is magic in a cyberpunk setting.

Deleted
    well in a futuristic world like in tf2 or mass effect 3. Would engineers replace mages or would they not?
    What would define magic in such a setting? The bio class in mass effect 3?
    How do we define a mage in general?
    mage [meyj]
    noun | Archaic
    a magician.

ma·gi·cian [muh-jish-uhn]
    noun
    a person who is skilled in magic.

mag·ic [maj-ik]
    noun
    the art of producing a desired effect or result through the use of incantation or various other techniques that presumably assure human control of supernatural agencies or the forces of nature.

en·gi·neer [en-juh-neer]
    noun
    a person trained and skilled in the design, construction, and use of engines or machines, or in any of various branches of engineering.

en·gi·neer·ing [en-juh-neer-ing]
    noun
    the art or science of making practical application of the knowledge of pure sciences, as physics or chemistry, as in the construction of engines, bridges, buildings, mines, ships, and chemical plants.

From this, we can deduce that they key difference between a mage and an engineer is that a mage controls the supernatural or nature, whereas the engineer deals with pure science. This means a Mass Effect biotic would be closer to an engineer-type character than a mage-type character, as in Mass Effect lore, mass effect fields and Element Zero is scientific, not supernatural.

In most cases (though not all), magic is nonexistent in science fiction works, and they focus on science, hence the first part of "science fiction".

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    Engineers are just the love child of a thief and a hunter in a steampunk-inspired environment.
    Spot on.

However, depending on the universe, they can also be included (partly or completely) into the mage archetype as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfsage View Post
    Spot on.

However, depending on the universe, they can also be included (partly or completely) into the mage archetype as well.
    But it states that biotics are born like that from birth, not necessarily a scientific implementation.
    so how do we determine whether something is a mage archetype or not?
    Basically I like the rogue and warrior classes the most. I just want to know which unique classes would fit in their category.