Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    mine revolved around removing cards from play. It was an awesome deck haha... sooo long ago though

10+ Year Old Account
    I haven't played card games since high school (like 10 years ago). I honestly have never stopped wanting to play them, I simply don't have anyone to play with. Very few people seem to retain the desire to play these types of games as they grow older, so that left me with decks just sitting in my closet. Everything about card games is awesome: the excitement of pulling rare and powerful cards from packs, the strategy of building decks, and then of course the game itself. Sigh...I miss enjoyment.

I haven't played it in almost 7 years but I still have all my cards =)

Herald of the Titans RaoBurning's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Chaos baby, all the way, with a little Obelisk (newly released, legal addition) for giggles.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    This is America. We always have warm dead bodies.
    if we had confidence that the President clearly did not commit a crime, we would have said that.

Used to, won a regional championship here in Sweden then it sorta slowed down a tad. Still though, years later I still keep my decks within a meter of where I'm sitting right now.

Used a deck based on locking down all of the opponents monsters and using lowlevel effect monsters to attack him directly whilst defending my continuous spell and traps cards keeping him locked down. Very annoying but very effective, people without decks capable of quickly getting rid of multiple spell/trap cards lost early.
    I believe that kind of deck got fairly popular for a while

I play on Dueling network all the time. I cant afford the real cards anymore, so its a way to feed the addiction.

15+ Year Old Account
    Got back into playing about a year ago, but only played for a few months at a couple local tournament before I stopped again. I still enjoy it, but the playstyle now is so much more fast paced and agressive from when it was first released because of effect monsters. It's a lot of fun, but you kinda gotta get serious if you wanna be competative again a 10 year old with rich parents to supplement his deck. I just don't have the time or money to compete right now. That and I can't stand getting beaten and smacked talked by someone I could literally backhand across a crowded room.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkamedis View Post
    I play on Dueling network all the time. I cant afford the real cards anymore, so its a way to feed the addiction.
    What is the Dueling Network? I'd never heard of that before so I checked it out. It just looked like a bunch of forums but I didn't see how do you play online? Do you buy cards online and then play through the site?

Na, Dueling Network lets you make decks and play online, its all free. You just need to make a account, log in and go into the deck creator. Make a deck then go into the duel room and play. Pretty fun, I find it nice since my gf made me quit, and this is a habbit i can do without spending money. lol

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by Salandrin View Post
    Aside from the banned gimmicks introduced following the GX series end, Yu-Gi-Oh in it's standard 1v1 PvP format is one of the most successful and popular card game series to exist. It is still played competitively in real tournaments for prizes, and casually played through various online means such as Skype.

That being said, the game is very, very old. Also, despite it's high competitive popularity, walking around in brazen public and seeking out duels will usually make people think you're a tool or nerd.

Do you still play the game, be it casual or serious?
    Not *that* old. Magic the Gathering and Pokémon are all older, and Magic is still retardedly popular as is pokémon. Old doesn't mean bad.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    Not *that* old. Magic the Gathering and Pokémon are all older, and Magic is still retardedly popular as is pokémon. Old doesn't mean bad.
    Ok so I just found out what this Dueling Network for Yu-Gi-Oh is and...I think I found the reason it's so significantly unpopular in real life now heh.

Why buy cards and meet people in real life, when you got this?

I still play with friends. Usually I will get together with some friends and play Yu-Gi-Oh. It's still a decent game to play and I like to play in real life more than in Dueling Network just because you have the luck of using your own cards and not the cards "given" to you online. Dueling network for me is more of a place to test out decks and find the weaknesses and improvements for my decks.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Ok so I just found out what this Dueling Network for Yu-Gi-Oh is and...I think I found the reason it's so significantly unpopular in real life now heh.

Why buy cards and meet people in real life, when you got this?
    It's a lot more fun to gloat when it's face-to-face. I tried playing some of the various TCG online and it's just nowhere near as fun as playing them in real life with other people.

It's a lot more fun to gloat when it's face-to-face. I tried playing some of the various TCG online and it's just nowhere near as fun as playing them in real life with other people.
    Now that this subject has come up. I learned a few things. For starters, I'm quite surprised Yu-Gi-Oh has survived competitive PvP this long, and more surprised of this Magic: The Gathering games popularity.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Now that this subject has come up. I learned a few things. For starters, I'm quite surprised Yu-Gi-Oh has survived competitive PvP this long, and more surprised of this Magic: The Gathering games popularity.
    Aye same. Some friends of mine recently opened a shop, which sells TCG, Pen'n'Paper books, LARP stuff, and Warhammer figures - a nerd store if you will. Now, I live in a relatively small city, a town which kinda in many ways mantains a rather 1950's mindset - and I was FLOORED when I realised that just about everyone in this place either plays Magic, Warhammer or Warmachines - And by everyone, I f'ing mean *everyone*. Sure they may not say it in public, but if you even as much as think of mentioning the word "Magic" they get a certain gleam in their eye.

Aye same. Some friends of mine recently opened a shop, which sells TCG, Pen'n'Paper books, LARP stuff, and Warhammer figures - a nerd store if you will. Now, I live in a relatively small city, a town which kinda in many ways mantains a rather 1950's mindset - and I was FLOORED when I realised that just about everyone in this place either plays Magic, Warhammer or Warmachines - And by everyone, I f'ing mean *everyone*. Sure they may not say it in public, but if you even as much as think of mentioning the word "Magic" they get a certain gleam in their eye.
    I'm quite lazy to read up on all the rules of this Magic game on a IPhone so I'll sum up a few questions.
    A: I think Yu-Gi-Oh has about or vastly more than 5000 cards. Is Magic as big, or is it a card game revolved around little cards and more balance?
    B: How old is this franchise?

This thread just makes me think of all the money I spent on cards.... Though, It sure was a lot of fun playing with friends and whatnot. We went to some of the 'sneak peaks' when new sets came out, But oh how I wish I had all that money back.

Also, Cyber Dragons were the shit. My best deck was based around those damn things.

Last time I played a TCG was in like, elementary school. Just died down too much, with all the connotations that popped up. Not like I ever had any friends to play them with, anyways. Wouldn't mind picking it up, if I had people. Same with tabletops. =/

That said, I do have a few of the old games on Emu's, that I play every now and then.

Quote Originally Posted by Toator View Post
    This thread just makes me think of all the money I spent on cards.... Though, It sure was a lot of fun playing with friends and whatnot. We went to some of the 'sneak peaks' when new sets came out, But oh how I wish I had all that money back.

Also, Cyber Dragons were the shit. My best deck was based around those damn things.
    Cyber Dragons were from the GX cycle right?

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    I'm quite lazy to read up on all the rules of this Magic game on a IPhone so I'll sum up a few questions.
    A: I think Yu-Gi-Oh has about or vastly more than 5000 cards. Is Magic as big, or is it a card game revolved around little cards and more balance?
    B: How old is this franchise?
    Magic is turning 20 next year - I have no idea how many cards Magic has, but a quick google search did teach me this: "As of Jan 31st, 2011, there are 20,043 unique cards. This includes EVERY card, from promo cards to tokens." A deck requires 60 cards, unless you play by special rules such as Highlander or Commander (Highlander is 100 cards, but only one of each "There can only be one". There are 5 types, Red, Green, Black, White and Blue each with their own speciality and monsters, White is often Angels, Knights and Clerics where as Red is Goblins and Ogres. Magic is relatively balanced a rule of thumb is that "Every deck can beat every deck", it's not entirely true, but it's not a complete lie either.

The rules does seem very complicated, but it's actually quite simple and rather strategic - and it can be great fun. I don't have my own deck yet, mostly because I keep telling myself not to buy one hah. The missus and I chose to divide the "nerdiness" between us, she got magic I got warhammer. I later realised that Warhammer is a silly expensive and time-consuming hobby hah, where as Magic isn't. (Well it helps that she got her first deck for free and that it was custom made for her by nerdy Magic experts)