Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Neither IMO. Asking which is better is a very subjective question. You are going to get nothing but opinions, and biased opinions at that because this is a forum for WoW.

Deleted
    Nothing. Both are terrible games.

Quote Originally Posted by iceberg265 View Post
    Neither IMO. Asking which is better is a very subjective question. You are going to get nothing but opinions, and biased opinions at that because this is a forum for WoW.
    True, but it's a fact that either choice is a better one than TOR

ohhhhh got 'em

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by iceberg265 View Post
    And you saying neither while brandishing SWTOR - is exactly as biased.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

10+ Year Old Account
    If you wanna do Scholomance again, and other rehashed stuff, then get MoP. If you want to play a game where all you do is grind then get GW2. I'd get neither and save my money.

Quote Originally Posted by blackweb View Post
    Why MoP? Have you played GW2?
    Yes, bought on Launch and played for like 87 hours(level 66). It was fun, probably the most fun-wise game in the year. But just for 87 hours(if it was a single-player with 87 hours i would be pleased, but not for a MMO). After this amount of gameplay i just got bored, there's nothing new to do, the "dynamic events" aren't really dynamics at all, it just another name for quests, the WvWvW is a big rush spamming aoe skills. Skills aren't amazing too, you just use the same skills for 80 levels ~.~, no "world pvp"(yes, you can say "world pvp in wow is dead") but it still have.
    I don't regret it, but i don't want to play anymore.

Guild Wars isn't going anywhere, just wait for a 50% sale or something like that, if you begin to play now or 2 months from now it will be the same.
    I don't like to play WoW in the middle of a patch, is better to buy Pandaria now and Guild Wars later, than otherwise*.

*I don't know if otherwise stands for what i mean, but you got it.

"something is missing" from GW2? Exactly what is missing from GW2?

I dont think you played GW2.
    For those who prefer the WoW-styled end-game, the "player progression" (which is another way of describing the increase in power you have as you gain new gear) can be a significant motivating factor in continuing to play, and it's an aspect that is largely absent from GW2 once you've reached the level cap - which is a conscious design decision on the part of the developers.

There's quite a bit of horizontal progression to be had, in terms of obtaining gear sets with stats that are better for one build over another (+crit/+crit damage build versus +condition damage/duration build, for example), or armor skins/weapon skins, or a number of other activities, but some players prefer distinct power increases to what they are already doing. For those types of players, GW2 is missing something.

The mistake some of them make (and it feels as if they can be the most vocal) is assuming that that type of end-game is the only proper way to do an end-game, and as such label WoW's version as a "real PvE-endgame" and discount what GW2 as not having a real end-game, despite the fact that you are still chasing the items you want through the repetition of a particular set of activities.

For GW2, what throws some players off (in my opinion) is the fact that many of those types of activities begin before you reach level 80 - you're running Dynamic Events for Karma; you're running dungeons (both versions) for weapons, armor, and the unique appearances of each that comes from each dungeon; you're jumping into WvWvW and sPvP, and even doing tournaments while maybe working toward qualifying for the bigger monthly championship type tournaments, in the hope that you are one of the ones that makes it to the annual competitions that will be between the winners of the monthly competitions; you're leveling your crafting and possibly starting to save up and work toward your first legendary. All that can be done before you hit the level-cap.

WoW gives you old content and quests to do as the meaningful things before the level-cap; GW2 gives you everything to do as meaningful. The only thing GW2 doesn't do is enable you to increase your power the more time you spend time doing things at the level-cap, and for some people that isn't appealing, as the combination of power increases and a level cap has proven to be an effective Skinner box for countless MMO players. It's merely one way of doing things, but many MMO players are rather attached to it at this point.

Regarding the OP's question - do you feel like you need or really want that power increase over time? If yes, MoP is probably the better choice. Otherwise, it's really either one, though I personally find the GW2 experience worth it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    Neither. Buy Rift.
    I tried Rift again after they made everyone change their passwords several months ago, but they still hadn't fixed their AA issues with it making everything in the game super blurry. Have they gotten around to fixing AA yet or would I be stuck with having jaggies? I just can't get myself to use their AA anymore since it makes the whole game look out of focus with how blurry everything looks.

Quote Originally Posted by TJ View Post
    GW2 is very disappointing IMO (NOTICE HOW I SAID IMO) I got bored very quickly, I'd say MoP hands down since Blizzard looks to have turned things around and put a lot of work into the expac.

This thread will probably get closed, just a heads up.
    I agree with this post. In my opinion GW2 is very disappointing, while MOP is simply amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by khodan22 View Post
    I was wondering which one is better, I also have to buy a subscription for WoW so Guild Wars 2 is cheaper for me.
    I have 5 85's on WoW so i'm not new to WoW but I am new to Guild Wars so which one is better?
    First let me tell you about GW2:

Look and feeel - GW2 looks and feels like a well-crafted living graphic novel. The graphics, animations and effects in gW2 are second to none. The polish and attention to detail is just stunning. The underwater combat is amazing. When you exit the water, you see water splashed on your screen

Character creation - very interesting. The GW2 allows you to almost completely customize your character. The most interesting thing about GW2 character creation is that you make choices that affect your personal story quest line in game.

Combat system - GW2 has a very innovative combat system. You have 10 spells and abilities, 5 left of the red health orb and 5 on the right. The abilities on your left change depending on the weapon you have equipped or the school of magic you are using. The first ability on the right side of your toolbar is always a self heal. 4 others on the right are determined by how you allocate your skill points and which skills you choose. You have the ability to fight to survive when you are near death, you have 4 abilities you can use to try to fight off an enemy or heal yourself.

Character customization - you have skills, traits(stats), swappable weapons, a special weapon for underwater combat and skins that you can apply to your gear. You can allocate your stats and choose a buff every 5 trait points. Your profession (class) has 3 primary traits that it can use.

Leveling/Exploring (Questing) - there is no quest log in GW2. You will have only one quest, your personal story quest which includes cut scenes. Everything else is area based dynamic events where you simply wander into an area on the map and items pop up on the right of your screen to do. There are no quest givers, there is no back and forth, between quest area and quest hub. You dont have to form a party to do things. When you fight a boss, there are usually many others there to help. High level characters are automatically leveled down so they cant ninja bosses or dominate events. To complete a zone, you complete items on the map such as points of interest, tasks (dynamic events), vistas (very cool animated scenery) and finding waypoints. Questing and leveling is painless in GW2. Some of the personal story events or quests and be quite difficult.

Guilds - the guild UI and guild managment in GW2 is the best I have used in any MMORPG that I have led a guild in. GW2' guild system is absolutely the best and lives up to the name of the game. Guild leveling and customization are extensive and beneficial to the guild. In GW2 you gain influence for your guild that your guild can spend on buffs such as increased influence, experience and magic find or a larger guild bank.

World vs. World vs. World (WvWvW) this is where GW2 outshines every other game (Except PlanetSide 2 which is comparable but is an MMOFPS) including and especially World of Warcraft. WvWvW is an absolute blast in GW2. For me, it has been relatively 3d and net lag free. In WvWvW you are fighting two other servers on a massive scale in huge maps. You fight for resources (supplies), towers and keeps. For example, you can upgrade your gaurds, gate or walls by adding supplies to your keep. You can build siege engines to assault or defend a keep. You get item drops and you earn karma points that you can spend on some of the best gear in the game. The fact that there are 3 factions means that one faction can never fully dominate the others. Everyone is scaled up to 80 in wvwvw.

PvP - an instanced 8v8 pvp mini-game with separate progression including gear. PvP gear cannot be worn outside of pvp. Everyone gets scaled up to 80 and is given a decent set of starter gear. I havent done much with pvp but I am told its fun.

PvE & dungeons - there is no holy trinity of tank, dps and heals. Everyone can self-heal, everyone can tank to some extent. Warriors and gaurdians make better tanks. Everyone can group heal to some extent. You can spec into increased healing but there are no healbots in GW2. You have to kite, dodge and use defensive buffs to be successful in PvE in GW2. Everyone must know how to play their class in order to surivive in dungeons. There are massive world dragons to kill.

Crafting - the gear is usueful, the interface is innovative. You get new recipies by discovering them. Farming mats can be a bit grindy. Buying them can be expensive. The items you make are very useful.

Gathering - no one can ninja a node from someone else, everyone has equal shot at a node, meaning everyone can harvest from the same node once, until it respawns again.

Lore - a bit weak in some areas but so well implemented that you probably wont care. The polish breadth, depth and richnes of the content more than makes up for any weakness in the story. For example, the charr are supposed to be craftsmen, metalworkers and blacksmiths. There is just one problem, they are covered with fur and have huge claws on their hands. What happens when a furry animal stands next to a forge? You guessed it, singed fur. Ever try to build a siege engine with popsicle sticks glued to your fingers? You see what I mean. The Charr are very cool as a race but they would make lousy dwarves.

I havent mentioned wow mop much because there are few direct comparisons to GW2. The games are just so different. After having played both games, GW2 wins hands down in almost every repsect. I havent yet fully experienced GW2 end game PvE so it is hard to compare. The dungeons I have done were fun and interesting but very different from wow. If you are into pvp and especially world pvp, and hassel-free questing and leveling, GW2 is the winner, hands down.
    Last edited by blackweb; 2012-09-24 at 04:43 PM.

Deleted
    My subjective opinion: Guild Wars 2 is what I'd choose (and indeed have chosen) and the entire reason why is because it feels new. WoW is old, very old, and that shows immensly nowadays. I can't personally bring myself to even look at the game any longer, it hasn't aged well at all.

But here's the thing OP: Asking this question will just lead to two things.
    1. You won't get any good answers, none can know what you will like.
    2. If unlucky enough this will turn into a flamewar.

Quote Originally Posted by Crushima View Post
    I agree with this post. In my opinion GW2 is very disappointing, while MOP is simply amazing.
    You obviously have not played GW2. Seriously blizzard and your legion of fanboi-posters, try not to be so obvious when you trash your competitors. I have been seeing these kinds of posts for years. It is obvious that they are all coming from the same source.

If you have a specific criticism of GW2 make it. If there are things about MoP that you like, tell us. "very disappointing" just doesnt cut it because those of us who have played the game more than an hour know that GW2 is anything but disappointing.

You obviously have not played GW2. Seriously blizzard and your legion of fanboi-posters, try not to be so obvious when you trash your competitors. I have been seeing these kinds of posts for years. It is obvious that they are all coming from the same source.

If you have a specific criticism of GW2 make it. If there are things about MoP that you like, tell us. "very disappointing" just doesnt cut it because those of us who have played the game more than an hour know that GW2 is anything but disappointing.
    The irony of you talking about fanboys, you remind me of Traask.

Deleted
    GW2 lasted about 3 weeks for me.. cant see myself going back. MoP will have alot more content and content patches but its expected for a sub mmo.. if you like wow still id pick MoP and if you want something different go with GW2 but dont expect it to hold your attention for that long unless you LOVE GW.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by TJ View Post
    GW2 is very disappointing IMO (NOTICE HOW I SAID IMO) I got bored very quickly, I'd say MoP hands down since Blizzard looks to have turned things around and put a lot of work into the expac.

This thread will probably get closed, just a heads up.
    I'm with this guy.

Deleted
    This is like asking if you should like green or blue more, everyone has different opinions. Just check reviews, gameplay footage, etc. and play whatever appeals to you the most.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    GW2- Everything new
    MoP- An expansion as it is with some new WoW features.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by vanin View Post
    My subjective opinion: Guild Wars 2 is what I'd choose (and indeed have chosen) and the entire reason why is because it feels new. WoW is old, very old, and that shows immensly nowadays. I can't personally bring myself to even look at the game any longer, it hasn't aged well at all.
    lol what are you talking about.. i no longer play WoW but at max settings the game looks brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by Insanoflex View Post
    GW2 lasted about 3 weeks for me.. cant see myself going back. MoP will have alot more content and content patches but its expected for a sub mmo.. if you like wow still id pick MoP and if you want something different go with GW2 but dont expect it to hold your attention for that long unless you LOVE GW.
    It is interesting how no one who is criticizing GW2 is giving specifics about the game. What do you like or not like about GW2? Why did you quit after 3 weeks?

Deleted
    Simply put: You can't really compare the two, you'd better think of them as totally different games.