Thread: Monk Tank: WTF

Monk Tank: WTF

Just killed the first boss in MV as monk tank. Every. Single. Attempt I was top dps(between 60-80k DPS), top HPS(between 44k-60k HPS, Our kill I was at 46k HPS), and this is entirely as tank.

It wasn't even close - I pushed out a good 11k HPS over #2 healer, I was 12k DPS over 2nd highest dps. Is this how tanks work now..? The god class?

No, just a bad group, and don't forget, Guard shows as healing done (well it does on my Skada anyway).

I've healed plenty of Monk Tanks as a Mistweaver, and maybe on trash they might be close to me, but on bosses it's usually an 80-20 split with Guard doing 70%+ of their healing.

As for DPS, I often see tanks top trash (cleaving) but shouldn't be top on a boss.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakara View Post
    No, just a bad group, and don't forget, Guard shows as healing done (well it does on my Skada anyway).

I've healed plenty of Monk Tanks as a Mistweaver, and maybe on trash they might be close to me, but on bosses it's usually an 80-20 split with Guard doing 70%+ of their healing.

As for DPS, I often see tanks top trash (cleaving) but shouldn't be top on a boss.
    The first boss is 3 Dogs. We split it with me tanking 2 the DK tanking 1. My groups pretty good - not amazing - but pretty good, and I completely thrashed them in every aspect.

I'm seeing better geared monk tanks touching on 100k dps(top in world of logs is currently 100k DPS, with 38k HPS), I think I could have reached 90k dps if I wasn't worried about helping with healing, but I just think these numbers are outright ridiculous.

Oh, so you noticed tanks do too much damage right now. Especially DKs and Monks

Deleted
    despite what blizzard says, im sure their method of releasing content is like this:

developer ideas > get it working on beta/ptr > let players test it and compile feedback > glance at feedback and maybe take a few player ideas > release patch > watch what happens in game > knee jerk hot fixes > tell playerbase considered their feedback during beta/ptr (loljk)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by AnarchyEU View Post
    despite what blizzard says, im sure their method of releasing content is like this:

developer ideas > get it working on beta/ptr > let players test it and compile feedback > glance at feedback and maybe take a few player ideas > release patch > watch what happens in game > knee jerk hot fixes > tell playerbase considered their feedback during beta/ptr (loljk)
    World of Logs counts damage taken from Stagger as DPS for the monk, as it is a DOT cast by the Monk, on the Monk, so numbers are inflated atm.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoshimiko View Post
    The first boss is 3 Dogs. We split it with me tanking 2 the DK tanking 1. My groups pretty good - not amazing - but pretty good, and I completely thrashed them in every aspect.

I'm seeing better geared monk tanks touching on 100k dps(top in world of logs is currently 100k DPS, with 38k HPS), I think I could have reached 90k dps if I wasn't worried about helping with healing, but I just think these numbers are outright ridiculous.
    I'm sorry to tell you. But if you top both healing and dps, your group is not even pretty good.. Tanks do too much damage in general atm, altho both warriors and dk's do more damage than monks atm in raids.

15+ Year Old Account
    dk tanks do 80K+ on same boss. Its just mechanical, nothing special.

Deleted
    You may want to check where your DPS is coming from. We were wondering why our Monk tank was doing so much DPS and checked our Worldoflogs. Turns out stagger was being counted as the Monks damage since technically, he was doing damage to himself. worldoflogs. com/reports/rt-ngucygkj85tax90a/details/14/ Change to tab "Damage by Spell" (You'll need to remove the spaces between . and com. Wouldn't let me post links as this is my first post)
    Last edited by mmoc775a00e60e; 2012-10-09 at 06:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TwoBunz View Post
    You may want to check where your DPS is coming from. We were wondering why our Monk tank was doing so much DPS and checked our Worldoflogs. Turns out stagger was being counted as the Monks damage since technically, he was doing damage to himself. worldoflogs. com/reports/rt-ngucygkj85tax90a/details/14/ Change to tab "Damage by Spell" (You'll need to remove the spaces between . and com. Wouldn't let me post links as this is my first post)
    While this is true and removing Stagger damage from the Monk's tab would lower his numbers by quite a bit, their damage is still way out of line at the moment.
    http://worldoflogs.com/reports/isu7r...?s=6407&e=6676
    That's the 10m top parse. Take away the ~5.5M dmg the Monk did with Stagger and he's still #1.

Quote Originally Posted by Masterpd85 View Post
    dk tanks do 80K+ on same boss. Its just mechanical, nothing special.
    Well there is no special boss mechanic that increases the tank's damage on this fight. It is mechanical, yes, but it's the tank's broken vengeance mechanic.

Btw this shouldn't come across as QQing. Though I heal raids now, I really enjoy out-dps'ing DPSers as Brewmaster
    I just don't think that's the way it's supposed to be.
    Last edited by ChrisKoe; 2012-10-09 at 08:53 AM.

Deleted
    I did the same with war prot (60-80k), but look at the front page, it seems to be a nerf.

Quote Originally Posted by winkies View Post
    I did the same with war prot (60-80k), but look at the front page, it seems to be a nerf.
    The vengeance hotfix?
    The way I read this, that's even more DPS due to vengeance stacking faster.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisKoe View Post
    The vengeance hotfix?
    The way I read this, that's even more DPS due to vengeance stacking faster.
    I don't know if Vengeance has a cap, but in general this is a large boost for monks since we have a lot of absorbs and parries/dodges. If it doesn't have a cap, it will stack higher than before due to getting vengeance from avoided and absorbed attacks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rugz
    Holes means you have less of a food to plate ratio, you can get more net weight of pancakes into the same volume and area as you could with waffles. Therefore pancakes win.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaak View Post
    Oh, so you noticed tanks do too much damage right now. Especially DKs and Monks
    Too much is better than not enough, imo, we were wayy lacking before vengeance

Early expansion is early?

Holy crap, it's too bad that classes don't get any tweaks or fixes throughout the course of an expansion or anything.

10+ Year Old Account
    Blizz is saying that Vengeance is perfectly fine. Have you actually seen a log where an entire hardcore group had 7 tanks and 3 healers, or some silly comp like that that used more then 2-3 tanks? As long as you are using the required amount of tanks, and not more, blizz will keep tanks the way they currently are, and balanced around high vengeance levels
    Quote Originally Posted by Moounter View Post
    I think your problem is a lack of intellect.

This was planned and intended. Tanks will be judged by their ability to tank as well as their dps from now on. The hps is news to me, but sure why not - any fail on group (not enough dps, not enough healing, tanked wrong) can now basically be put on the tank and I for one like this change, I think tanks should be responsible for all 3 roles during any given encounter.

15+ Year Old Account
    The high healing is because BrM self-heal abilities and T2 talents scale with attack power, which scales with vengeance, which I've frequently seen break 40k. The guy whose parse you linked was doing 80k hits with Chi Wave, which is like 320k+ healing per 2 Chi every 8 seconds. If it's balanced against increased damage taken versus other tanks with less self-healing, then it's probably alright.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoshimiko View Post

When I did it sunday as a DK tank I was 3rd on dps (437 weapon, I blame that) and first on healing with about 40% healing done.