Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

No PvP Zone like TB or WG in Pandaria?

I just recently found this:

Q:
    Since in Mists of Pandaria, there’s no world PVP zone like Tol Barad or Lake Wintergrasp, then how are you going to enhance the world PVP activities?

A:
    We are trying to figure out some other ways. For example, let the players to seize the enemy’s territory, or kill the enemy’s leader. And if they made it, they would be able to increase the upper limit of the conquest points that week. And of course, we are going to add more PVP objectives in Mists of Pandaria as well.
    So apparently there's no new PvP zone. And for various reasons that bothers me a lot. First I really really liked Tol Barad (unless I was there to win) just because it was always well attended by both sides and you could easily farm lots of honor kills while fighting in a mass zerg. Even now at a point where none of my characters needs honor anymore I attend it most of the time if possible just for the sake of the zerging.
    So not having a new zone like that, seeing this whole concept just die like that, one that was well received around here even with the balance issues and problems TB had in the beginning is a very sad thing for me.

The other ways they mention were tried already, both in Classic with the old towers on the eastern plague lands and all over burning crusade. It didn't work, people didn't like it at all! Also giving one side all kind of boni just because they're able to control/win control over something just seems plain wrong. If it is limited numbers fighting it out we might just have something similar to WG/TB yet again just with another name attached.
    If it's not it's going to be a big problem on my server. My server is "full" to say the least. However the population isn't spread equally, it's about 90% horde. So we do have quite a lot of alliance and they're pvp active, especially since they limited the numbers of people who could attend WG and later TB and such made it "fair".
    If it is like this for those small zones where people fight constantly and have to go to on their own, most of us horde will never even be able to see them. And we will end up with small alliance premades who will simply steamroll them as the horde can't bring in their own groups and might end up with scrubs doing the fighting.
    If they aren't this has the potential to finally drive away the last few alliance we've got left. Especially with the boni they mentioned so far and the alliance not having any chance to ever get them.

So honestly, I'm really worried about this. If someone knows something about this whole thing, please let me know.

10+ Year Old Account
    People didn't like it in part because it was a turrable way to get honor before.

The new world PvP objectives now let solo players achieve what was only possible for groups: a higher conquest cap (and probably conquest points).
    Quote Originally Posted by Callace View Post
    Considering you just linked a graph with no data plotted on it as factual evidence, I think Stanton can infer whatever the hell he wants.
    Extraordinary Claims Require Extraordinary Evidence - Sometimes I abbreviate this ECREE

I always found TB and WG to be useless anyway. Cool ideas, but poorly implemented. Well, I suppose the problem with WG was more due to my low and imbalanced server population than actual design. Tol Barad, however, was bad by design. Besides, when you think about it, they were just extra BGs basically. Not true world PvP. World PvP will only be achieved by making towns in contested areas have more value for max level players to be at, perhaps with vendors or dailies, and having guards be significantly weaker or nonexistent.

Wintergrasp was really fun, for some reason it seemed a lot better than Tol barad. But thinking about BC and the world PVP that was designed for its zone is a lot more fun than either. And like the above poster said, it really is not even world PVP, porting to a zone to fight against people to control 3 bases is a lot more like Arathi basin with a raid group than world pvp. TB is still a good time, I still do it, but I feel most people do it for the easy honor and trying to do Baradin Hold, not becasue they think it is fun.

I am all for the mentioned changes are bringing more legit world pvp back into action. Should be fun. You will get over not having your zone you can port to. Just queue for AV and try to turtle, same thing basically if you are just going for honorable kills.

10+ Year Old Account
    Blizzard has failed at world pvp zones. Tol barad is god awful, you got like 50+ people and only 3 nodes?? Basically just running around in a circle (triangle) capping nodes and losing the one behind you. They need to hire someone who can actually design good pvp objectives, ones that force the raid to split up with several points of interest to go to.

Just wanted to add....along with many nodes/points of interest, not just 3......another important thing is GY spawns, pref a choice where to spawn, and more then one so you can't be farmed.

Reason WG seemed more fun then TB was cause there were alot of nodes, you had 2 siege workshops, 3 towers, and 3 sides to the castle from where to attack......forced people to spread meaning smaller group skirmishes and alot more fun.
    Last edited by Protoman; 2012-03-23 at 05:31 AM.

Deleted
    Yeah, I prefer world pvp that isnt instanced like TB and WG, not saying they're are bad but less instanced type wpvp was more fun.

Deleted
    Tol Barad was bad by design if you actually cared about winning at least in the beginning, I never disagree about that. Personally I enjoyed the long and drawn out zerg many of the battles there became.

The problem with world pvp is, that people for the most part simply reject it. They don't participate nor care and if it isn't instanced the bigger faction is going to take it all anyway. So this has the option of driving the last few alliance people we've got left away from the server. The problem about world pvp in bc was, that for the most part it never really happened. It was there and hardly anyone cared.

10+ Year Old Account
    Kill leaders? oh god, my server is 3H:1A ratio.. now there is going to be a permanent raid in Stormwind killing Varian and people :S

I would like that, no free epics!

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly I'd rather something I can drop into at any time (World PVP, and to a lesser extent BGs) than something that I not only have to wait for, but be at the mercy of a balancing system for.

I enjoyed Wintergrasp, however, seeing as it was also a good place to farm, which meant there were usually quite a few people there.
    RIP Gunther, he wanted orange, the world gave him lemon-lime.

10+ Year Old Account
    For those who can remember, Wintergrasp was an evolution of Halaa with more focuses rewards. In the beginning, it actually was world PvP.

I can't recall Blizzard doing something they iterated away from again so I'm hoping? they actually have a plan for faction imbalances.
    Considering you just linked a graph with no data plotted on it as factual evidence, I think Stanton can infer whatever the hell he wants.
    Extraordinary Claims Require Extraordinary Evidence - Sometimes I abbreviate this ECREE

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanton Biston View Post
    I can't recall Blizzard doing something they iterated away from again so I'm hoping? they actually have a plan for faction imbalances.
    Blizzard tried to bring the grind back with Cataclysm, it didn't work very well. "A lot of bad decisions were made". And their plan for faction imbalances most likely is to not acknowledge that there are any. Around here we were promised that they would keep track of the effects of faction change and other things. They kept saying they would take measures if it became necessary when Alliance went from 45% to 35% and they kept saying it when the numbers dropped to 20%. Now after Cataclysm we're down to 10% with more and more Alliance leaving the server while more and more horde is transfering here. Obviously 10:1 and worse isn't so bad that they would "need to take measures" just yet.
    Hell I had to roll an alliance rogue as an alternative character just so I could go out into the world and find people to kill!

Quote Originally Posted by Antherios View Post
    Kill leaders? oh god, my server is 3H:1A ratio.. now there is going to be a permanent raid in Stormwind killing Varian and people :S
    9:1 here. If they don't bring some rules and mechanics to keep the majority from taking it all I will profit from it as my main and all except for one of my characters are horde. If they do something about it, the small Alliance premades will most likely end up constantly trashing the horde random groups and most of us wont even be allowed to participate.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanton Biston View Post
    For those who can remember, Wintergrasp was an evolution of Halaa with more focuses rewards. In the beginning, it actually was world PvP.

Only way to fix pop imbalance is to balance the servers, merge them and what not. They should really do this for MoP since they have already lost alot of players.

Buffs to try to help the underpop side just doesn't work.

I'm glad. They need to go back to the way BC encouraged world pvp. Like the towers in Terokkar (which was ALWAYS fought over on my server) and Hellfire. Admittedly, not many people participated in the Hellfire/Zangarmarsh ones, but they can improve on the idea.

edit: The population concern is a legitimate concern though, we'll have to make sure to bring it up on the beta forums.
    Last edited by Niyari; 2012-03-23 at 08:05 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Protoman View Post
    Only way to fix pop imbalance is to balance the servers, merge them and what not. They should really do this for MoP since they have already lost alot of players.

Buffs to try to help the underpop side just doesn't work.
    My issue with the server merge is that let's say we balance Illidan with enough PvP alliance servers that it ends up 50:50.

Now we have a server with over 100k active end game characters.

Raids on capital cities on these servers normally lag the place to death. Having a continent with two groups of 1500 players going at seems an impossibility with the current hardware.

But who knows.

Huge issue though.

I guess they don't implent it because its server wide, I remember WG was heavily horde dominated in LK, TB currently has like 5 people queing up for it, they probably realized that a queing every 2h type of thing didn't work out and that adding stuff like attacking Southshore at any given time for example would be much more fun.

I'd say WG and, to a lesser extent, TB were a lot more successful at condoning "world PvP' than the objectives placed in random zones throughout Vanilla and TBC. Hopefully they'll make it so that true world PvP is a lot more rewarding now and can compete with random bgs in how well it rewards you.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

Quote Originally Posted by Niyari View Post
    I'm glad. They need to go back to the way BC encouraged world pvp. Like the towers in Terokkar (which was ALWAYS fought over on my server) and Hellfire. Admittedly, not many people participated in the Hellfire/Zangarmarsh ones, but they can improve on the idea.

edit: The population concern is a legitimate concern though, we'll have to make sure to bring it up on the beta forums.
    I had many epic battles at the towers in Terokkar. Those were good times.

IF Wintergrasp didn't lag so much when vehicles were closing in on the final door, it could've been a pvp masterpiece. I was hoping Blizzard would emulate a similar event in future expansions but it doesn't look that way, sad panda indeed.

10+ Year Old Account
    and for some reason i dont feel bad about this at all. i hated TB (with a passion) only did the dallies enough times to get the drake. and that battle is just one big circle jerk IMHO.