Poll: Should this be Legal

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 11 of 30 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Invictus9001 View Post
    ^It's borderline extortion/quid-pro-quo.
    Its not any worse than scare commercials played on TV by both sides.
    As for prot... haha losers he dmg needs a nerf with the intercept shield bash wtf silence crit a clothie like a mofo.
    Wow.

Quote Originally Posted by mrwingtipshoes View Post
    Yep, when Carnegie had employees on strike and The Pinkertons SHOT them back during the 1892 Homestead strike that was when we needed unions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homestead_Strike

For that don't know the history of it, its a very important thing in employment history.
    Yeah... you're ignoring the fact that the unions were just as violent as the employers. Don't pretend they were Ghandian pacifists who took things lying down to prove a point. They were just as vicious and willing to use force as the Pinkertons.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chadwix View Post
    There are two sides to this greed.

People go from working 40hours a week with partial health care to 29.5 hours a week and no health care. Cant really fault them, you dont go into business to break even.
    Which means they make less money and have higher costs, which leaves them with doubly less disposable income. Reducing people's income and increasing their costs only leads to a net loss for your business as now fewer people are able to buy your products.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mrwingtipshoes View Post
    Its not any worse than scare commercials played on TV by both sides.
    I've also never cared for the soap-opera-esqe attack-ads that politicians care to lob at one another either.

#FlightIsImportant

Quote Originally Posted by Torq View Post
    Uhm, what? The original title was "CEO threatens layoffs if Obama is reelected", which isn't what the letter states, at all. If that's not sensationalizing or spinning, I don't know what is.
    I know you did not read my other posts, but I was being sarcastic.

support your local unions. they're the only things keeping ret@rds like this from taking over all of america.

Quote Originally Posted by DEATHETERNAL View Post
    It affects the bottom line of the large backers of the corporation either directly or indirectly so yes it does.
    This is jibberish

It's easy to understand though.

Businesses are there to make as much money as possible.

The higher up the food chain you are, the more integral you are to making that happen.

Ergo, the more money the company can make, the more the execs make.

From what I read in the link, it doesn't sound like a threat at all. He is saying "If tax hikes happen, we are going to reduce staff to make up the difference." Doesn't that only make sense? If Taxes cost $5M per year now and if that changes to $6M next year, who should eat that $1M? If it were me I wouldn't want to take that kind of haircut.

I find it amazing that some Americans pretend like raising taxes on the rich will somehow tank the economy. The tax rate of the top 1% has steadily declined since the end of WWII, and yet somehow that hasn't equated to constant growth in our economy.

This...fiction, that somehow wealthy Americans bear some terrible burden and that without that burden we would all be better off is nothing more than propaganda. There is no data to support such assertions. If you believe in small government, that's fine. But be intellectually honest about it. Capitalism builds winners and losers, and it's a hell of a lot more than just hard work that determines who ends up in which group. Free market capitalism doesn't mean 0% unemployment or everyone's wages rising...it's about separating the wheat from the chaff, and praying that you're not the chaff.

But no, keep selling the fiction. Taxes bad, freedom good. It's such a catchy tune, you even got the "progressives" singing it. God forbid we all actually face reality.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is just sad.. I honestly hope the boss gets fired and ends up on the streets then he can experience how his employees would feel.. money grabbing *peep*.
    The only thing infront of their eyes is: "how much money can i make today dont care how i achieve that though"

Just for these reasons im so happy i dont live in the USA. And in a system where you are frowned upon when you excell and:

"Je kop boven het maaiveld uitsteken" explanation
    Last edited by schippie; 2012-10-10 at 01:03 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's a simple solution to this... And it is the more effective, the more would actually do it...
    Walk in his office and tell him what a jackass he is, and to shove his job up his ass..... And then stop working. If no one would work, then he can talk about losses...
    Guys/Businesses like him have to be taught the lesson that true power lies in the workforce. That's a known fact for decades, some just need to be reminded.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Varabently View Post
    It's easy to understand though.

Businesses are there to make as much money as possible.

The higher up the food chain you are, the more integral you are to making that happen.

Ergo, the more money the company can make, the more the execs make.

From what I read in the link, it doesn't sound like a threat at all. He is saying "If tax hikes happen, we are going to reduce staff to make up the difference." Doesn't that only make sense? If Taxes cost $5M per year now and if that changes to $6M next year, who should eat that $1M? If it were me I wouldn't want to take that kind of haircut.
    So, the boss could lose say, 20% of his income, making him drop from say, 5 million to 4 million.
    Or, 100 employees making 10,000 a year could lose 100% of their income.

hmmm....

I for one am glad our corporate overlords can continue to afford their 5 Lamborghini's a year instead of the common man being able to buy bread. This is a definite benefit for our nation.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

For all of you who agreed that it is wrong for the CEO to say if Obama is reelected i will be forced to do some layoffs then you should also be just as outraged with Democrats threating voters if you vote for a Republicans you will loss you welfare, your Medicare, your social security, and your food stamps

Tell me what is the difference with democrats making those threats or a business owner making a statement if you vote for a Democrat i will be taxed more hence i will be forced to make some layoffs

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    Which means they make less money and have higher costs, which leaves them with doubly less disposable income. Reducing people's income and increasing their costs only leads to a net loss for your business as now fewer people are able to buy your products.
    Top ceo's disagree and found they make more money (10% per employee, 1500 on a 15k avg yearly) but doing it this way. Oddly enough it should inflate obamas jobs numbers since they will hire an additional person to cover the extras hours and not have to provide obama care by capping them at 29.5. Employee hourly management isnt rocket science, they will figure out how to maximize.

Edit. Its a devious plan, people who make the 15k will now only make 11k and have to pay the 1500 for obama care or be fined 3k, lmao
    Last edited by chadwix; 2012-10-10 at 01:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vyxn View Post
    For all of you who agreed that is wrong for the CEO to say if Obama is reelected i will be forced to do some layoffs then you should also be just as outraged with Democrats threating voters if you vote for a Republicans you will loss you welfare, your Medicare, your social security, and your food stamps

Tell me what is the difference with democrats making those threats or a business owner making a stamen if you vote for a Democrat i will be taxed more hence i will be forced to make some layoffs
    One is a prediction of the outcomes of opposition. The other is a person with direct power over your personal financial well being making vague statements of coercion.

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    When people wonder why employers aren't allowed to get involved when employees try to unionize this is the kind of stuff they can't.
    Yeah, so the unions can mail out 20 things to each member a year telling them to vote for democrats; seems fair!

---------- Post added 2012-10-10 at 01:02 AM ----------

One is a prediction of the outcomes of opposition. The other is a person with direct power over your personal financial well being making vague statements of coercion.
    When my side does it, it is fine. When the other does it, they should be hanged!

Quote Originally Posted by Jingelheimer View Post
    Yeah, so the unions can mail out 20 things to each member a year telling them to vote for democrats; seems fair!
    Unions aren't saying "Better hope Romney is elected or I might have to fire you!". And the relationship between a union and a worker is entirely different than the relationship between an employee and a employer.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyxn View Post
    For all of you who agreed that it is wrong for the CEO to say if Obama is reelected i will be forced to do some layoffs then you should also be just as outraged with Democrats threating voters if you vote for a Republicans you will loss you welfare, your Medicare, your social security, and your food stamps

Tell me what is the difference with democrats making those threats or a business owner making a statement if you vote for a Democrat i will be taxed more hence i will be forced to make some layoffs
    The problem is that you wouldn't make the reverse promise. It's always a threat of "If I get taxed more, I'll fire people!" It's never a promise of "If I get taxed less, I'll hire more people/raise wages!" It's "If I get taxed less, I'll go build a 5th multi-million-dollar home."

You've given the average worker absolutely no reason to work for your benefit, because you will never work for theirs.

Just, be kind.

Unions aren't saying "Better hope Romney is elected or I might have to fire you!". And the relationship between a union and a worker is entirely different than the relationship between an employee and a employer.

When my side does it, its fine, when the other does it, it is awful! Seriously, that is all you are saying, again. It is the same thing.

You support unions because they support your political party. They do not care about the common working man slaving away for them, in any way.

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    The problem is that you wouldn't make the reverse promise. It's always a threat of "If I get taxed more, I'll fire people!" It's never a promise of "If I get taxed less, I'll hire more people/raise wages!" It's "If I get taxed less, I'll go build a 5th multi-million-dollar home."

You've given the average worker absolutely no reason to work for your benefit, because you will never work for theirs.
    You talk like people are forced at gun point to work for this guy. You don't like that your employer doesn't compensate you for a job well done, find a better employer.

But I know I know that might take effort and a modicum of personal responsibility.