Thread: Losing weight

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by nietz View Post
    Yeah, and 125 per mile sounds like an overestimate to me, to be honest.

Neither aerobic exercise nor anaerobic exercise burns many calories for the amount of effort you put in (this is subjective, obviously). But generally speaking, people vastly overestimate (or overassume) the number of calories they are burning through exercise, just as they underestimate how many calories they are eating. Extremely inaccurate online calculators that tell you you're burning 500 calories for walking three steps don't help, either.

Exercise is about improving your musculature, your cardiovascular fitness, your confidence, your mental state, etc. For those, it is indispensable ... exercise keeps you focused. After waking up at 5:00 AM to do your daily jog, do you think you are more or less likely to spoil your diet? Everything is connected that way ...

OP, read some articles at: Bodyrecomposition.com
    Well I'm just saying that the way I've lost almost 50 lbs so far is by eating Burger King.

I don't keep junk food in the house, all I drink is water and I use fast food nutrition facts to stay under 1700 calories a day. My actual RMR is around 2100. Example, the only meal I ate today (I also do intermittent fasting. 1 meal per day.) was 1100 calories Tendercrisp sandwich from burger king with a small fry. I won't eat anything again until 8 PM tomorrow night.

If you walk 4 miles a day and burn 500 cals, that's an extra pound of fat you're burning every week. It's not much but it adds up. I suppose it all depends how much you like or dislike exercise, I don't see it as a chore.

Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    You know how disheartened I was to learn that walking only burns about 125 calories per mile?
    lol.. you wish. Walking burns more like 30-40 calories per mile. You might burn 125 calories per mile if you were running at 8 mph which is well beyond what most people can handle.

Your overall point is valid though. Reduced calorie intake is the absolutely most vital part of losing weight.

Well I'm just saying that the way I've lost almost 50 lbs so far is by eating Burger King.

I don't keep junk food in the house, all I drink is water and I use fast food nutrition facts to stay under 1700 calories a day. My actual RMR is around 2100. Example, the only meal I ate today (I also do intermittent fasting. 1 meal per day.) was 1100 calories Tendercrisp sandwich from burger king with a small fry. I won't eat anything again until 8 PM tomorrow night.
    Yup. You're doing it the right way. I did the same thing, pretty much (just prepackaged food, not fast food, in my case).

Lost ~80 lbs that way.

I just began to change my diet yesterday---and im working with two good friends of mine who have lost a lot of weight the last couple of years.

steer away from candies, white breads, and sodas because theyre so sugary and thatll help---not that you can never have sweet stuff but it makes a big difference. also potatoes turn into carbs as well. In the way of bread go for wheat if you go for any at all.

eat plenty of fruits and vegetables.

a big breakfast means that youll be able to burn off a lot of it throughout your day--but dont starve yourself. its ok to snack, just eat healthy things

stay away from canned vegetables and canned soups--so salty!---unless you try the canned healthy-choice stuff cambells makes--it has much less salt. also look out for things that are very processed.

fried things are also not too good for you---but baked is your pal.

water will help flush your system and help your mechanisms go--so go for water---its ok to flavor it if you want---like that crystal light stuff for example. also teas and stuff are great --theres a lot of variety there.

I was told that before excirsise, or any other stuff--that getting the eating-right is the foundation.

now i think i should include information on myself just so you know----we're not very similar physically, so much. I've been big for most of my life and im sitting here at 32 being at or near 400 pounds. Regardless i hope some of this has helped <3 i mention this because i also have to watch my salt and i dont know if this is something that applies for you, but still may not hurt.

i should also mention that i was told that peanut butter and stuff is still alright---and trail mix and granola bars also make good snacks. in the way of nuts--also unsalted nuts and peanuts-in-the shell.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinrael View Post
    You need sunlight. You need movement. You need fresh air. You need green nature. It is just as important as eating healthy, sleeping properly and so on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post
    Have faith in us. Americans are fighters.

As others have said, eat less, work out more. Find out your calorie intake on google or something, and try sticking to that.
    The bold part... just so much.

Exercise sucks. You know how disheartened I was to learn that walking only burns about 125 calories per mile? 1 fucking cookie and you've gotta walk a mile to stay neutral.

Your body burns WAY more calories just being alive than exercise does.

Don't get me wrong, exercise is great for muscle tone and endurance. It's awful for weight loss, though.
    I disagree. Coming from someone who HATED anything remotely similar to working out as a teen, I find working out helps a ton when trying to lose weight, for one, it puts you in the mind set of,

"Okay, I burned X amount of calories at the gym, this cookie here is about the same amount I just burned for working X amount of time, better not eat that again."

Plus, it also becomes fun, I loved working out, it felt great, I felt like I was accomplishing something. I've struggled with weight my entire life, tried JUST dieting for the majority, and the only thing that really kicked in for me to lose weight was to add working out, and working myself hard, not just walking.
    Last edited by Digglett; 2012-10-11 at 02:15 AM.

i was typing out my post all this time and just now saw this--i think i may have figured it out hon----maybe its because you dont eat throughout the day, so your body thinks it has to hoard whatever fat reserves and calories it can get, and then since your eating what your eating anyway, its confusing your system. I heard that going to extremes like that can be really bad for you too.

relax your food schedule some and your system will probably understand your situation better, and things can work out sooner.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinrael View Post
    You need sunlight. You need movement. You need fresh air. You need green nature. It is just as important as eating healthy, sleeping properly and so on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post
    Have faith in us. Americans are fighters.

First off, the human body is exceptional at storing fat. If you believe in evolution it just makes sense. In our evolutionary past we were never as readily exposed to food as we are today. So, the human body would store fat upon binge eating in order to survive long periods of time of starvation, as fat produces the largest amount of energy per gram compared to any other macromolecule. When people get surprised as to why you will gain weight, just refer to this. Metabolism as well changes over time, as you age your Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR; energy consumption just be being alive) drops every year.

Thus, as you age, if you continue to consume the same amount of calories void of exercise, you will gain body fat.

To the person who had commented above saying a walk will 'only' burn x amount of calories, yes it will burn that at the current time, however you should consider other factors.

Example: If you lift weights at the gym you will burn a set amount of calories due to the lifting of the weights, and because your energy demands of your muscles increase during exercise, ok.. no brainer. However, the majority of the fat that is burned comes from what happens in the days after your workout.

If you are doing a good job at the gym, the next day you should feel sore. At first this may be inconvenient, but after a while you get used to it and you use this to gauge how good your workout was. It is this 'ache' that is burning a large amount of calories, as your muscles must repair themselves which is an energetic demand.

Also, to mention, weight-lifting has more of an impact on your RMR (resting metabolic weight) compared to cardiovascular exercise, though both are very important. As you age, your muscles become weaker. Staying strong will aid in tasks that may be easy now, yet not so easy when you are old.

Incorporating any sort of exercise is better than none at all. Yet, it is important to remember that diet is HUGE when it comes to weight loss. Few points:
    -Diets that are higher in protein aid in muscle repair, and meals that are high in protein make you feel more full, for longer.
    -Eating fats after a workout hinder protein absorption, consider waiting to ingest fat until an hour after your workout
    -After a workout, your muscles crave nutrients, as you have just depleted them of their immediate energy stores (glycogen). Ingesting protein immediately after a workout with a fruit (banana, green apple) is a good idea.
    -Eat a slow-release protein prior to bed (0% fat greek yogurt), as it will aid in repair overnight
    -Ensure adequate sleep

Finally, do not get intimidated by people who perform better than you at the gym. Remember, everyone starts somewhere!

Quote Originally Posted by nietz View Post
    Yup. You're doing it the right way. I did the same thing, pretty much (just prepackaged food, not fast food, in my case).

Lost ~80 lbs that way.
    I also have tons of help from my friend Wolfram Alpha.

That thing is amazing. I couldn't even believe it had a weight loss calculator with amazingly accurate graphs and measurements. Just put your info in an BAM. It tells you how long it'll take to reach your goal weight and how many more calories you can eat before you stop losing weight. It also tels you how many is TOO FEW calories and the weight loss becomes unhealthy.

---------- Post added 2012-10-11 at 02:38 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Asotcha View Post
    i was typing out my post all this time and just now saw this--i think i may have figured it out hon----maybe its because you dont eat throughout the day, so your body thinks it has to hoard whatever fat reserves and calories it can get, and then since your eating what your eating anyway, its confusing your system. I heard that going to extremes like that can be really bad for you too.

relax your food schedule some and your system will probably understand your situation better, and things can work out sooner.
    I'm not the one having problems with weight loss O_o. I've actually been incredibly successful.

Intermittent Fasting has been shown to be wildly successful and not just safe, but healthy.

I'm waiting on actual clinical trials to verify that, but anecdotally... I've been losing huge amounts of weight, it hasn't been that difficult, I feel great and my doctor says I'm healthy as a horse.

So, if it's all the same to you, I'll keep eating 1 small/medium sized meal per day.

Losing weight is easy in my own opinion.

In the last 3 and a half months I have lost 3 stone.

I have been eating whatever I like and just exercised more. Generally a 20 min run with push ups and situps too.

Best advice I can give is if you want to eat fast food or whatever, don't go for the super size meals. Just go for regular. And just because its a salad doesnt mean it has less calories than say a burger.

Quote Originally Posted by steveyboy View Post
    Losing weight is easy in my own opinion.

In the last 3 and a half months I have lost 3 stone.

I have been eating whatever I like and just exercised more. Generally a 20 min run with push ups and situps too.
    Sadly, it won't be that easy for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Digglett View Post
    Sadly, it won't be that easy for everyone.
    It is if they stick to it.

Also I found not worrying about losing weight to much helps too.

I used to weigh myself every couple of days and didnt notice a difference. Now I do it every 2 weeks and notice a 6lb loss at times.

Quote Originally Posted by steveyboy View Post
    It is if they stick to it.

Also I found not worrying about losing weight to much helps too.

I used to weigh myself every couple of days and didnt notice a difference. Now I do it every 2 weeks and notice a 6lb loss at times.
    I tried eating what I want and working hard, just didn't work out for me in the end. :<

Quote Originally Posted by Martyn 470 View Post
    i'm 20, nearly 21
    Havent read the rest of the thread yet, but hate to be the bearer of bad news. but yeah, it is all down hill from here son.

I was the same, used to be a pisshead when i was 18-21'ish, go through 20 odd beers a weekend, eat fast food every day nearly...and be rake thin skinny, almost underweight.

Im 25 now...and weigh 88kg, and am 6ft tall. not overweight at all, but i have a semi noticeable beer gut when i have my shirt off.

You lose your metabolism after 21 like THAT. and it is so sudden. bad habits carry over. and it gets REALLY hard to lose the weight than it used to

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Asotcha View Post
    In the way of bread go for wheat if you go for any at all.
    Rye is infinitely better than wheat if one chooses to eat bread.

Quote Originally Posted by Digglett View Post
    I tried eating what I want and working hard, just didn't work out for me in the end. :<
    Sadly not for me either. At one point (couple years ago) I was running at least 10 miles a day, 3 times a week, in training for doing a half ironman (triathlon), swimming occasionally and biking 10 miles to and from work every weekday over steep hills. I ate what I wanted - mostly steak with a few veges. My weight just stayed around 76kg, which isn't heavy for me but I'm not in "lean shape" at that weight. A bit of a beer belly.

In the last 2 years I let myself get out of shape, no exercise and lots of beer/junk food.

I recently started to control my diet, have smaller servings of meat/bread and more of veges. I generally don't run/walk more than 4 miles, but I do a bit each day. In 6 weeks I lost 8kg - 1.25 stone (from 87 to 79kg)... I am reaching my target weight a lot faster than I thought I would.

Exercise sucks. You know how disheartened I was to learn that walking only burns about 125 calories per mile? 1 fucking cookie and you've gotta walk a mile to stay neutral.
    I find it hard to believe it even burns that much. Running hard as hell might burn 125/mile, but I'd be shocked if walking did.

One hour per week of gym helps more than the 400 calories you burn.

2. You build muscle in the gym which in turn ups your non-active calorie consumption

2. Your metabolism speeds up in general even when you only spend 1 hr per week in the gym

I don't understand how calorie in calorie out can be drawn into question.

I've been losing weight based on the First Law of Thermodynamics. Take in fewer calories than I burn. I've lost 45 lbs so far doing it.

Please summarize the book.
    I had a friend who did the same thing... he lost over 100lbs.

Basically the average body, even if not exercising, burns approximately 2,000 calories a day - just by being alive.

He snacked every day and just counted his calories so he doesn't go near the 2k limit.

For exercise, he just walked 20 minutes a day during his lunch break.

He's remained at his slim weight for 3 years now...

10+ Year Old Account
    I've been working to lose weight the last few months and have been quite successful (45lbs since June) and through reading a lot of contradictory crap on the internet I've come to realize that there are really only four important considerations when you're eating to lose.

First, get a rough idea of your caloric needs and stay at least 500 cals under that. That will guarantee you'll lose weight. A lot of people (including myself about 2 months ago) will talk about insulin blocking access to adipose tissue and all that. Those people are right, but as long as you aren't diabetic and you don't eat ridiculous amounts of blood sugar increasing food, you probably don't have to worry about it too much. Fixating on macronutrient ratios when your goal is simply a calorie cut is overkill. If you like carbs, eat carbs. If you like fat, eat fat. Just make sure you're at a calorie deficit.

Second, overcome hunger. The most important single thing you can do to improve your odds of successfully losing weight is to strategize a way to deal with feeling hungry. A lot of this will depend on your personal biology and psychology. If you're the strong minded type, internalize that hunger is the natural state of living beings. The bodies of all modern organisms have evolved to deal with food scarcity. Going hungry for a few hours isn't going to kill you, nor is it going to impact your metabolism. If that isn't a winning strategy, focus on satiety in your meals. Again, how to achieve this will vary from person to person. Some people feel very full after eating a piece of meat, others do not. Some people will feel full for hours after having 8 cups of salad, others will feel hungry after 30 minutes. Find what works for you and go with it.

Third, find a meal plan that you can stick with after you reach your goal. I think this is the most ignored aspect of weight loss. Eventually, you'll get to your goal and presumably you'll stop dieting. Just because you're reached a svelte 16% body fat doesn't mean your weight isn't still mostly a function of your diet. If you go back to the way you used to eat, you're just going to get fat again. So, before you reach your goal, make a plan. You don't have to eat the same thing you did during weight loss, but make sure that your eating habits are under control. I don't usually cleave to the fatty as alcoholic meme that's floating around, but this is probably the one area that it is apt. There's no going back to your old life. Just like an alcoholic can't hang out a bar anymore, we, the ex-fatties, can never just eat whatever we want all the time ever again. If you're prepared for the eventuality with a plan, you'll be fine. If you aren't, you're going to get blindsided.

Finally, realize that weight loss isn't a monastic religious practice. Discipline is good and will get you to your goal, but fanaticism will only end in failure. Splitting a six pack with your buddy while watching the Packers or getting that really good looking pasta special isn't going to turn you into a fatso again. But, recognize it for what it is: an indulgence. And you're allowed indulgences. It's only when the indulgences become the norm that your weight loss efforts will suffer.
    Last edited by Beavis; 2012-10-19 at 05:57 PM.
    When survival is the goal, it's into the spider hole!