Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    How can they sue when there's no game?
    The latest version of that tech demo they call a game, no longer uses Crytek.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronan View Post
    That doesn't actually matter, depending on the contracts. They may have to leave the CryEngine/Crytek information in even if they change engines. It's like City of Heroes after NCsoft bought the IP and took development in-house from Cryptic. Cryptic's logo was still on every box, still on the bootup screens etc. despite them no longer having any involvement with the game. Because legally, they had to keep their references there.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronan View Post
    As far as I am aware this concerns Squadron 42
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

As far as I am aware this concerns Squadron 42
    Developing SQ42 and SC on different engines would be beyond insane since they are at the core the same game.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    Developing SQ42 and SC on different engines would be beyond insane since they are at the core the same game.
    Well, that's what they are suing them for as far as I know and when it comes to Chris Roberts beyond insane is not a matter off the list.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, that's what they are suing them for as far as I know and when it comes to Chris Roberts beyond insane is not a matter off the list.
    In what you're specifically referring to, they're being sued because they're using Lumberyard instead CryEngine. Technicality, but still a supposed contract breach, among a few other things, such as removing the Crytek logo from their load screens. It will be up to the legal experts handling the case.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by masterhorus8 View Post
    In what you're specifically referring to, they're being sued because they're using Lumberyard instead CryEngine. Technicality, but still a supposed contract breach, among a few other things, such as removing the Crytek logo from their load screens. It will be up to the legal experts handling the case.
    I thought Lumberyard was server side and not the actual game engine.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    I thought Lumberyard was server side and not the actual game engine.
    That may have been what they swapped over for, but we were told that CIG did a full swap over to Lumberyard, and they were supposedly able to incorporate the changes that they made to their custom version of CryEngine to Lumberyard.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen...mberyard_info/

All of the sources are at the bottom of that post.

Quote Originally Posted by masterhorus8 View Post
    That may have been what they swapped over for, but we were told that CIG did a full swap over to Lumberyard, and they were supposedly able to incorporate the changes that they made to their custom version of CryEngine to Lumberyard.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen...mberyard_info/

All of the sources are at the bottom of that post.
    Which is just more dancing around the truth from CIG.
    Despite what they claim they didn't do a full swap to Lumberyard as LY is based on CryEngine 3.8 and CIG's work is based on CryEngine 3.7
    The swap to Amazon's repository gave them access to 3.7 so they just rsynced their own changes, modified some copyright headers and were in the same position before the switch. Granted, it does allow them to backport some LY features and use AWS with favorable terms etc but for them to claim it was a full switch is bs.

- - - Updated - - -

A snippet from Squadron 42

Squadron 42's bit on the website has been revamped as well https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQTcf2bnRhY

The cash grab is real. Now they're selling tanks as well.
    Better support them so that they can fund their fight against Crytech!

Quote Originally Posted by Majestic12 View Post
    The cash grab is real. Now they're selling tanks as well.
    Better support them so that they can fund their fight against Crytech!
    I think they're selling pictures alongside the promise that if the lawsuit with CryTek doesn't sink them AND if they ever get the game released then a model of that tank will...at some undefined point in the future....be added into the gameworld in a players own personal garage. At some even more distant yet still undefined point in the futute, said tank will be made playable. Some time after that, CIG will add gameplay which requires said vehicles.

BUT before all that, CIG will be only too glad to sell pictures of tank transports and landing craft which...likewise....will be added to the game at some undefined point in the future.

SQ42 preview:

+ Mark Hamill is a great actor.
    + Music.
    + Terminator easter egg.

- Pre-recorded on a super computer.
    - Railroaded level design. Really disappointing.
    - They crank up the music a lot to force an "epic" feeling into the player even if it means overshadowing whatever Mark's character is saying.

The sum of it all is that without the music, the game just looks really boring. They want you to spend 15-20 minutes flying from point A to point B, listening to forced "epic" music thinking how beautiful everything looks. That's the entire game really. Doing something such as EVA was like 2% of the gameplay, if even that.

Also: No fucking way that they were "so close" to showing this 1 year ago with how unomptimized this was. The delay of 24h also reinforces this. They should've made this a live event and explored the game together with us, not this forced point A to point B prerecorded oh so loud epic music crap.

Wasted potential.
    Last edited by Majestic12; 2017-12-22 at 09:47 PM.

That's game, boys, there is no SC, this is the only thing they will hit the market with.

Quote Originally Posted by Majestic12 View Post
    SQ42 preview:

+ Mark Hamill is a great actor.
    + Music.
    + Terminator easter egg.

- Pre-recorded on a super computer.
    - Railroaded level design. Really disappointing.
    - They crank up the music a lot to force an "epic" feeling into the player even if it means overshadowing whatever Mark's character is saying.

The sum of it all is that without the music, the game just looks really boring. They want you to spend 15-20 minutes flying from point A to point B, listening to forced "epic" music thinking how beautiful everything looks. That's the entire game really. Doing something such as EVA was like 2% of the gameplay, if even that.

Also: No fucking way that they were "so close" to showing this 1 year ago with how unomptimized this was. The delay of 24h also reinforces this. They should've made this a live event and explored the game together with us, not this forced point A to point B prerecorded oh so loud epic music crap.

Wasted potential.
    I don't know whether to be glad or sad about the demo....

On the one hand....it looks fairly pretty, the music is decent, the acting good enough and the story/script (if a little cliched and corny) seems acceptable.

On the other...this was still another pre-recorded scripted demo that was likely carried out under optimal conditions, likely with a very powerful PC and it still suffered performance issues. Gameplay that consists of half an hour wandering the corridors of a ship also seems just a bit lacking.

Still...its progress

Squadron 42 1 hour gameplay commented by Chris Roberts, Dave Haddock, and Sean Tracy.

I really suggest people to watch this rather than the one without commentary, because this answers questions the other just raized.

Gameplay looks amazing btw, rough on the edges alpha, but still awesome.
    Last edited by Malibutomi; 2017-12-24 at 12:58 PM.

Watched the hour long SQ42 video... graphic looks great, music was good tho way too loud specially when there are NPCs talking at the same time, couldnt hear them over the music. FPS look a bit meh, AI was dumb, but all that might be just because its alpha. What I hated tho is the flight system... its like your ship have technology that goes against the laws of physics.. strafing left and right, turning 90% in an instant.. and while in space I tough well.. I guess they can go with that.. but when he enters the atmosphere of the planet and its the same.. not a fan. For me they need to works on that, because it looks very cheap. But overall I tough that was a good video

Quote Originally Posted by Aoewy View Post
    Watched the hour long SQ42 video... graphic looks great, music was good tho way too loud specially when there are NPCs talking at the same time, couldnt hear them over the music. FPS look a bit meh, AI was dumb, but all that might be just because its alpha. What I hated tho is the flight system... its like your ship have technology that goes against the laws of physics.. strafing left and right, turning 90% in an instant.. and while in space I tough well.. I guess they can go with that.. but when he enters the atmosphere of the planet and its the same.. not a fan. For me they need to works on that, because it looks very cheap. But overall I tough that was a good video
    The extreme spaceship mobility that you see is a phenomenon known as "turreting". They basically can move their ship like they can a turret. People have been complaining about that for a long time. The flight model has changed a lot over the history of the game and will keep changing. I hope they change that too for the record. The current flight model is purely based on ship (pay to win) and also promotes "jousting".

Didn't they already change engines before? And they're doing it again now? Or am I missing something?
    Quote Originally Posted by True Anarch View Post
    Never claimed I was a genuis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Furitrix View Post
    I don't give a fuck if cops act shitty towards people, never have.

Quote Originally Posted by Post View Post
    Didn't they already change engines before? And they're doing it again now? Or am I missing something?
    They're pretty much rebuilding the game every 2 years or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Post View Post
    Nah, all they did before was change from CryEngine v3.7 supplied by Crytek to CryEngine v3.7 supplied by Amazon. They had made considerable changes to the code supplied from Crytek but because they're using the same version from Amazon it required minimal work get things moving again.
    Amazon's Lumberyard is based on CryEngine v3.8 which has some significant changes to v3.7 so it's doubtful CIG will move to Lumberyard proper, instead they will backport features they want.

Edit: Really cool to see 3.0 has gone live but I'm surprised they did it right before the holidays, would they have not been better to just open up the PTU for everybody and leave 2.6 on the live servers in case people had issues but still wanted to play.