The thing is this project has problems just like every other big game productions has them. The only strange behaviour is seeing the same posters obsessing over just this one specific game and concerning over meaningless stuff over and over making assumptions without basic knowledge.

Next update seems to be bringing the option for players to explore caves and engage in fps mining along with a possible new ship sale so we'll certainly will have a fresh bath of "creative criticism" that will be just as obsolette as before.

Thrilling stuff.

Still waiting on those 400 examples and that easily obtained proof....

Quote Originally Posted by MrAnderson View Post
    The thing is this project has problems just like every other big game productions has them.
    For most people the problems faced by other big game projects are irrelevent because they haven't bankrolled it. The only thing at stake is whether they will get to play it or not.

Star Citizen petitioned their game to be completed for a moderate sum of $23 million and now it is currently at 13x that figure while only being a fraction of the $23 million game.... so of course people should ask questions.

The only strange behaviour is seeing the same posters obsessing over just this one specific game and concerning over meaningless stuff over and over making assumptions without basic knowledge.
    What meaningless stuff and what assumptions? Let's have some more examples....

The only strange behaviour is from people who spend years shilling for a company while getting less and less of the game they were sold. It flies in the face of all logic and reason.

Criticism, skepticism and accountability are all morally and ethically healthy stances. Your efforts to paint them as unhealthy just shows what a sell-out you are.

Only sadder would be dissing a game for years without playing it because you keep holding a grudge.

Good luck with that.
    Technically there is no game to play. It's not released yet. THAT'S what people are "hating" on.

Granted there's a lot of things to see and do in the version currently available to backers, but that would require backing this project in a very pre-alpha state. Many people are just not going to do that, especially considering the timeline that's available on the website doesn't even put Squadron 42, the MUCh smaller scale single player game into Beta testing until later in 2020.

Call it ignorance all you want, but I don't know very many people that would willingly throw money at a project run by someone who's notorious for bad project management, in order to play a "game" that's in pre-alpha.

Once the projects have published a release date and looks like they'll realisitcally meet it, I'll take it seriously. Until then this just looks like a company playing with other people's money to make amazing looking screenshots and videos

The thing is this project has problems
    Oh, we're finally moving on. You after all these hundreds of pages admit that this project has problems!
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Well that's another lie. Technically there is a game to play, incomplete and in heavy development but what there is to play is already good enough to warrant such support and hype.

Contrary what haters try to paint the game already provides more gameplay and generates more interest than many released and "finished games". I mean that's one of the main reasons the game keeps going, both lovers and haters just cant get enough of it.

The main differentiating factor is that lovers get their fun by following the development, playing and discussing the game.

Haters just get their fun from trolling and negativism.

Guess who's "winning".
    Last edited by MrAnderson; 2019-09-20 at 08:31 PM.

Well that's another lie. Technically there is a game to play, incomplete and in heavy development but what there is to play is already good enough to warrant such support and hype.

Contrary what haters try to paint the game is already provides more gameplay and generates more interest than many released and "finished games". I mean that's one of the main reasona the game keeps going, both lovers and haters just cant get enough of it.

The main differentiating factor is that lovers get their fun by following the development, playing and discussing the game.

Guess who's "winning".
    "There's game to play". We're still in pre-alpha state that'd only pass as vertical slice if you tried to sell a project to investors. Why do you keep lying?

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

I suggest you to check what a vertical slice means and what the players of Star Citizen community produce in terms of content with what's available to play from the game.

Again having a little bit of knowledge about the subject you try to diss would help taking it seriously, instead it goes straight to the "ignorant haters agenda" folder.

It's not cringe worthy it's how it is, the only reason gamers take the time to register to post in forums is if they are very oppinative about something, mostly negative posts or posts pointing out how the negativity is unwarranted or made in bad faith.

But yes, in the end Chris Roberts wins and the backers who support the game he's making rejoice by being able to play their dream game.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    I'm not sure which will be more enjoyable to watch once this game is declared DoA or at least Roberts is booted off of it.

The excuses from the rabid fans as they keep hope alive for the sake of their dignity, or the mass disappearance of those fans, never to be heard from again.
    Cynics and haters have been preaching that since the crowdfunding project was announced and backers have been shrugging the negativism ever since.

Guess what...

The doubters of 2012-2013-2014-2015-2016-2017-2018-2019 are still waiting for their joy of watching a video-game project fail for whatever petty reasons they might have whille backers are having fun flying massive space ships, landing on beautifull planets and having fun with other gamers that share the same passion.

All these years backers have supported the development of a game they like while having the previledge and fun of playing while it unfolds.

I guess it all goes back to how it hurts seeing others having fun and enjoy things when you're stuck in negativism in your life.

Yeah games take time to make. The bigger the game the longer it takes.

Big Whoopty Doo.

3.7 patch just went live for testers. I'm gonna try and find some new wip features to concern about.

One of the things they say about love is that it's blind. Have you ever seen a more perfect example than the blue-pilled Mr.A?

Technically there is a game to play, incomplete and in heavy development but what there is to play is already good enough to warrant such support and hype.
    Yeah maybe for you. I wouldn't play that small bit if it was free. Not worth my time or effort for the little they have. What hype? Why get hyped for something that is a LOOOONG ways off. I'd get hype for something very close to releasing, that's about it.

- - - Updated - - -

Contrary what haters try to paint the game already provides more gameplay and generates more interest than many released and "finished games". I mean that's one of the main reasons the game keeps going, both lovers and haters just cant get enough of it.
    Simple google search metrics would tell you this isn't the case. If you are referring to a few forums getting some traffic like this one? I'd not really call that interest or hype.

- - - Updated - - -

Guess who's "winning".
    Why even bother trying to take a supposed jab at people on the forums? You think ANYONE that is even slightly critical of this project is a hater. We get it.

- - - Updated - - -

The backers of 2012-2013-2014-2015-2016-2017-2018-2019 2019-2020 are still waiting for their game to be completed and released.
    Remember, this game was to launch in 2014. Yup.

- - - Updated - - -

All these years backers have supported the development of a game they like while having the privilege and fun of playing while it unfolds.

I guess it all goes back to how it hurts seeing others having fun and enjoy things when you're stuck in negativism in your life.
    Dude really? Privilege? They shoveled out fucking money to play it, there is no privilege here. And you love to tout Twitch metrics, let's see right now they are the 95th game as far as viewers watching currently. Woooo! They might pass Persona 5 one day!

And really, how many people are actually playing this game right now?

Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    "There's game to play". We're still in pre-alpha state that'd only pass as vertical slice if you tried to sell a project to investors. Why do you keep lying?
    This is objectively false. You can go out in a ship, fly missions, go mining, land on a planet and look around, earn cash to spend on equipment, meet up with friends and engage in all sorts of activities in the sandbox environment (stuff like battle royales, races etc.)

Some of it is bare bones, some of it is glitchy, and all of it needs stitching together to make the full experience, but the game exists and is playable.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    This is objectively false. You can go out in a ship, fly missions, go mining, land on a planet and look around, earn cash to spend on equipment, meet up with friends and engage in all sorts of activities in the sandbox environment (stuff like battle royales, races etc.)

Some of it is bare bones, some of it is glitchy, and all of it needs stitching together to make the full experience, but the game exists and is playable.
    But.. That is literally vertical slice AKA a slice of potential game you show to investors to sell it.

Cynics and haters have been preaching that since the crowdfunding project was announced and backers have been shrugging the negativism ever since.

Guess what...

The doubters of 2012-2013-2014-2015-2016-2017-2018-2019 are still waiting for their joy of watching a video-game project fail for whatever petty reasons they might have whille backers are having fun flying massive space ships, landing on beautifull planets and having fun with other gamers that share the same passion.

All these years backers have supported the development of a game they like while having the previledge and fun of playing while it unfolds.

You know, I see you defending the game like crazy, but I don't think I've ever read about your experiences. You post pics and videos made by other people, but again, never talk about your own personal experiences. As a backer, and as someone who has played the "vertical slice", as you put it, it seems like you're just blindly defending the game without actually playing it, which is just as bad, if not worse, than those criticizing it without playing it. And I do use the term "play" loosely, since all there is is a skeleton of a FFA sandbox with no consequence or persistence, and they're still trying to figure out the flight model seven years in, but hey, caves and glowsticks are important, too, amirite!?

Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    But.. That is literally vertical slice AKA a slice of potential game you show to investors to sell it.
    Except a vertical slice is supposed to represent a portion of the finished game like a demo, what you get with Star Citizen is the game in development with many things subject to change before full release. It's much more akin to an alpha or beta test with some aspects being further along than others.

Edit: fixed for clarity.
    Last edited by Dhrizzle; 2019-09-21 at 06:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Myobi View Post
    Not necessarily:
    That's a very slight distinction but I fixed my post for you.

Except a vertical slice is supposed to represent a portion of the finished game like a demo, what you get with Star Citizen is the game in development with many things subject to change before full release. It's much more akin to an alpha or beta test with some aspects being further along than others.

Edit: fixed for clarity.
    Anyway, what we see at the moment with Star Citizen is pretty far from a vertical slice and much more like alpha/beta access.

Anyway, what we see at the moment with Star Citizen is pretty far from a vertical slice and much more like alpha/beta access.
    Alpha is where you aim to be feature complete and beta is where you aim to be bug-free. This is aiming at neither, it's a technical demo, in games also known as vertical slice.

From Wikipedia:
    Also from wikipedia -

Alpha software is software that is not thoroughly tested by the developer before it is released to customers. Alpha software usually contains serious errors; therefore it can be unstable and could cause crashes or data loss. Alpha software may not contain all of the features that are planned for the final version.
    It's like the internet has made the patching and upgrading of software so easy that "alpha" and "beta" have lost concrete meaning and are instead loose definitions based on stability and usability. In Star Citizen's case it is has aspects of alpha software as some systems are bugged or missing, some aspects of beta as systems are tuned based on user feedback and some aspects of "perpetual beta" as the game is actively worked on and added to while being available to the general public.

I don’t disagree with that, it’s sort of why I previously stated that it’s sort of pointless arguing to much about it, in the end regardless what we call it, it’s still an unfinished game, missing plenty of it’s main features.

Still the description on both pages seem to exclude the “beta” description, as it still states that: “Beta phase generally begins when the software is feature complete but likely to contain a number of known or unknown bugs.”

Thus it can’t really be in a “perpetual beta” either, I believe that’s what we call to… well… most of online video games after being released really… where even after releasing what may be called a “complete” software, the developers start adding “new” content and features to it over the time.

Dunno, seems to arguably fall in the pre-alpha/alpha state of things, although, I don’t think that calling it a vertical slice would be incorrect either, because… “is a portion of a game which acts as a proof of concept for stakeholders before they agree to fund the rest.”, which is pretty much one of the main points of it.
    Another description of "Beta" says it's the first time that potential customers will see the product, but with this sort of public-testing for a game beta seems to apply when things are kind-of working correctly but need bug fixes and input from players to make sure they're satisfying, that's why it seems some parts of the game are in Beta while others are still absent.

I really disagree about the vertical slice though, even if you consider the players to be investors you have the fact that they have to buy in before they can experience the game, and most importantly the vertical slice is supposed to represent the game as it will be on release which definitely doesn't describe Star Citizen's current state.