10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MrAnderson View Post
    Sure since they are using Lumbeyard. I thought you knew something about this games develoment.
    Is this the part where you try to tell me Luberyard isnt the Cryengine?

Please do, so we can all laugh in your face. again.

The state of Spectrum for the past 6 months has been hilarious.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/s...july-17th-2020

Check the first comment.

Are you guys not hyped for the two images!?

It's like every single poster on Spectrum is a Derek Smart alt today, just as if he cloned himself on top of people like Mr. Smith.

Sure since they are using Lumbeyard. I thought you knew something about this games develoment.
    About that, Clive Johnson (the guy in charge of networking?/server meshing commented on CIG's version of cryengine and Lumberyard.

I'm paraphrasing but he said that their work has changed so many things that importing anything from Lumberyard would most likely be too difficult and too expensive. If they wanted any features they would be better suited to developing it in-house.
    He also said that they have not ported anything from Lumberyard since they switched 4 years ago.

I always thought this was obvious, you don't rewrite huge parts of your engine and then expect it to be compatible with a different version. Backporting features from Lumberyard sounded like a headache from the start.
    Last edited by 1001; 2020-07-18 at 03:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Beazy View Post
    Is this the part where you try to tell me Luberyard isnt the Cryengine?
    Nah it's the part I tell you Cryengine isin't Lumberyard. CIG went for Lumberyard/Amazon because of their server network.
    Last edited by MrAnderson; 2020-07-18 at 04:02 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nah it's the part I tell you Cryengine isin't Lumberyard. CIG went for Lumberyard/Amazon because of their server network.
    LoL

/facepalm

Lumberyard is the only popular Cryengine fork. Thanks for the laugh though. Tell us more about game development please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Amazon Lumberyard is a free cross-platform game engine developed by Amazon and based on CryEngine (init. released 2002), which was licensed from Crytek in 2015.[4][5][6] The engine features integration with Amazon Web Services to allow developers to build or host their games on Amazon's servers, as well as support for livestreaming via Twitch."

Lumberyard is the only popular Cryengine fork.
    Dunia Engine and FarCry say hi!

Based on.

Licensed in 2015

Popular Engines have many mutation forks along their history. 5 years of development is a lot of time.

But please, tell us more about game development.
    Last edited by MrAnderson; 2020-07-18 at 05:04 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    LoL yeah no shit kid. Thanks for the chart, its crazy to look back on what a small team of developers that started here in Dallas at ID could do compared to Chris Roberts and his team of 500+. . . . we all needed that reminder, so thank you.. . . . .

Luberyard is still the Cryengine. Same render engine, same interface, same code, same hooks, same . . . everything. . . oh except its integrated into online amazon services! SO YEAH TOTALLY NOT CRYENGINE GUYZ!!!!

Here I re copied it for you, and this time, I bolded the important part for you:

"Amazon Lumberyard is a free cross-platform game engine developed by Amazon and based on CryEngine (init. released 2002), which was licensed from Crytek in 2015.[4][5][6] The engine features integration with Amazon Web Services to allow developers to build or host their games on Amazon's servers, as well as support for livestreaming via Twitch."

Besides, developers at CIG have admitted they still arent using any of the Luberyard features. So Im going with someone who works in your software development division over your PR division bullshit:
    Last edited by Beazy; 2020-07-18 at 05:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ophenia View Post
    That’s my point. Owners of large ships basically screwed themselves. If they have 40 people onboard to fully experience their thousand-dollar ship, they’ll basically never encounter any other player in « their » server. This sounds like a waste.

From what i understood from the last two hundred pages, you (and MrAnderson) say that CIG spend most of dev time working on server stuff, which in the end sounds like a waste of time if 99% of entities ingame are NPCs. Wouldn’t have been a lot better to assign those devs to designing a single player game ? Because in the end, what you’re describing here IS a single player game, 50 guys scattered through multiple planets is nothing.
    Large ships like javelin will be used mainly just for wars or fun mostly as i doubt they will be able to earn money well spread out to 40 ppl, 5-10 man ships will be the sweet spot for multicrews where you should be able to make good money.

Servers are the most important part of SC as they will be able to spread the load and handle all the players at the same time along with everything else, SC is largly a PvE game with potential PvP, you wont be able to tell right away if anyone is an npc or a player, being an MMO is not dependant on a player actually wanting to engage with other players or not, npcs will make the game feel full and alive and be part of the economy.
    STAR-J4R9-YYK4 use this for 5000 credits in star citizen

LoL yeah no shit kid. Thanks for the chart, its crazy to look back on what a small team of developers that started here in Dallas at ID could do compared to Chris Roberts and his team of 500+. . . . we all needed that reminder, so thank you.. . . . .

Luberyard is still the Cryengine. Same render engine, same interface, same code, same hooks, same . . . everything. . . oh except its integrated into online amazon services! SO YEAH TOTALLY NOT CRYENGINE GUYZ!!!!

Here I re copied it for you, and this time, I bolded the important part for you:

Besides, developers at CIG have admitted they still arent using any of the Luberyard features. So Im going with someone who works in your software development division over your PR division bullshit:
    Because they dont need lumberyard features just the server infrastructure that goes with it. They have the original devs that created cryengine in their ranks. That's why they are doing things with their engine that were said Impossible. Exactly the same as we're seeing now with server network. Ignorance is the main fuel of negativity after all. That and bitterness. Just another sock for the haters to chew on until develoment catches up. Oh the perks of exposing game development with the masses...
    Last edited by MrAnderson; 2020-07-18 at 05:55 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because they dont need lumberyard features just the server infrastructure that goes with it. They have the original devs that created cryengine in their ranks. That's why they are doing things with their engine that were said Impossible. Exactly the same as we're seeing now with server network. Ignorance is the main fuel of negativity after all. That and bitterness. Just another sock for the haters to chew on.
    Oh, so they are still on Cryengine then.

Thanks for the confirmation. See, that wasnt so hard.
    Last edited by Beazy; 2020-07-18 at 05:56 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    I reckon they're not gonna make that 2020 launch. In fact, I reckon it'll never launch.
    ( ° ͜ʖ͡°)╭∩╮

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    The fun factor would go up 1000x if WQs existed in vanilla

That's why they are doing things with their engine that were said Impossible.
    What are they doing with their engine that was said to be impossible?

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting View Post
    I reckon they're not gonna make that 2020 launch. In fact, I reckon it'll never launch.
    As soon as they launch the money stream stops...
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

They are designing Star Citizen as a mmo for hundreds of thousands of players sharing the same universe because that's the end goal as all those seperated 50 player capped servers will eventually be "stiched" toguether to form one giant dynamic server that can seamlessly hold everyone in the same universe. It's called future proofing your design. That's why they designed the main city areas in a way they can hold thousands of players respawning at the same time or have capital ships that require 50+ crewmembers.
    If you think you can just 'stitch together' servers like that then boy do I have a bridge to sell you.

Some might think that the many years they have now been working on server meshing with nothing to show for it would kind of give that impressing but you seem to have missed it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    To be fair they will get a big money injection if they launch from people who are waiting for that rather then pay for a product that barely exists.
    And then another injection if its any good from those waiting to find out if its any good (like myself).

I don't believe SC isn't delivering because the money would stop, but because they cannot deliver what Christ promised. And they need to keep selling pictures of ships that don't exist yet because they need to keep the money to pay for the people trying to deliver the thing that cannot be delivered.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    What are you basing this on, there should be a large number of players just waiting on release before buying it, optional sub numbers should rise as gamers like cosmetics and would gladly pay a sub for different ones every month, SC generates at least 10-12 million a year currently on its own not including pledges, once released they will not require as many devs so outgoings will be far less.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    If you think you can just 'stitch together' servers like that then boy do I have a bridge to sell you.

Some might think that the many years they have now been working on server meshing with nothing to show for it would kind of give that impressing but you seem to have missed it..
    The server meshing will be similar to dual universe but not quite the same, SC will have a moving physics grid where the servers follow players while DU is static, so we know the system can be done, just depends on how hard it is to get working on the amazon servers.
    Last edited by kenn9530; 2020-07-18 at 07:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kenn9530 View Post
    The server meshing will be similar to dual universe but not quite the same, SC will have a moving physics grid where the servers follow players while DU is static, so we know the system can be done, just depends on how hard it is to get working on the amazon servers.
    Yeah I'm sure being dynamic rather then static absolutely does not make it infinitely more complex.

He said sarcastically.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

you wont be able to tell right away if anyone is an npc or a player, being an MMO is not dependant on a player actually wanting to engage with other players or not, npcs will make the game feel full and alive and be part of the economy.
    If you think you won't be able to tell the difference from a player and a NPC you are living on Fantasy Island, Tposing aside players will act far differently than AI will.

- - - Updated - - -

They are also making a single-player game. It's called Squadron 42.

They are designing Star Citizen as a mmo for hundreds of thousands of players sharing the same universe because that's the end goal as all those seperated 50 player capped servers will eventually be "stiched" toguether to form one giant dynamic server that can seamlessly hold everyone in the same universe. It's called future proofing your design. That's why they designed the main city areas in a way they can hold thousands of players respawning at the same time or have capital ships that require 50+ crewmembers.
    Oh man, stitching it all together sounds so simple! So why do their servers implode when they go over 50 people again? How is anyone going to test these capital ships if it takes the entire server to use one.

optional sub numbers should rise as gamers like cosmetics and would gladly pay a sub for different ones every month,
    I just don't see it. They have always talked about everything being earnable in game so why would anyone sub for cosmetics? And a sub is going to need to give a lot more value than just some natty cosmetics.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    Yeah I'm sure being dynamic rather then static absolutely does not make it infinitely more complex.

He said sarcastically.
    Having constant moving coordinates doesnt make it easier does it, but having the servers only load information relevant to where players are means that areas not being used are not wasting server resources for no reason, thats one of the main benefits of a dynamic server meshing system.

Quote Originally Posted by 1001 View Post
    I just don't see it. They have always talked about everything being earnable in game so why would anyone sub for cosmetics? And a sub is going to need to give a lot more value than just some natty cosmetics.
    Subs are an optional way of further supporting the game and have exclusive cosmetic options and some other benefits which could be improved when the game is live, cosmetics are not essential for gameplay so its fine to not have many unique ones not available unless you sub.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    If you think you won't be able to tell the difference from a player and a NPC you are living on Fantasy Island, Tposing aside players will act far differently than AI will.
    Thats how it already works in SC, when your fighting ships in space you can easily be fighting players and not even know it, no AI will ever be perfect but you still will not be able to tell straight away if its a player or npc.
    Last edited by kenn9530; 2020-07-18 at 08:08 PM.

Subs are an optional way of further supporting the game and have exclusive cosmetic options and some other benefits which could be improved when the game is live, cosmetics are not essential for gameplay so its fine to not have many unique ones not available unless you sub.
    At this rate the game will have raised over a billion dollars before it is complete or nearing completion, there will be no need for people to further support the game

It's all besides the point because CIG have always said everything that can be purchased can also be earned and they haven't put out any statements contradicting that afaik, never seen anything officially proposing subs when the game goes gold either.

Perhaps there is super secret information in the conceirge forum?