10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by fakaroonie View Post
    Hey guys I have a few questions. Is the game playable atm? non-stop? Is the game fully explorable? I don't mean planets, just space itself, and spacey thingys.
    By purchasing the lowest price ship, 32 Euros or smth like that, will it be the game itself? or do I need to purchase the game when it comes out as well?
    I wanted to purchase Elite: Dangerous, but 60$ is a bit much for me atm.

Also, if anyone knows, which one of the two is more peaceful? Meaning, I'm more about exploring and just chilling in space, listening to classic music. I don't wanna be blown out of the "heavens" 24/24 by campers and trouble-makers.
    Its playable but not fully explorable, the persistent universe + SQ42 alpha testing is nowhere close to a release phase, all that is in there at this time is a dogfighting mode on 2 small maps with 3 ships, multiplayer is only available to those below 350k in citizen number right now ( you are not missing much at its current state ).

Personal opinion here but I also think the Aurora ship is pretty terrible compared to the hornet and the 300i in the testing phase, but balancing is not their main focus right now.

Quote Originally Posted by fakaroonie View Post
    Hey guys I have a few questions. Is the game playable atm? non-stop? Is the game fully explorable? I don't mean planets, just space itself, and spacey thingys.
    By purchasing the lowest price ship, 32 Euros or smth like that, will it be the game itself? or do I need to purchase the game when it comes out as well?
    I wanted to purchase Elite: Dangerous, but 60$ is a bit much for me atm.

Also, if anyone knows, which one of the two is more peaceful? Meaning, I'm more about exploring and just chilling in space, listening to classic music. I don't wanna be blown out of the "heavens" 24/24 by campers and trouble-makers.
    1. Yes, it's in a playable alpha right now, with two operable modules: the hangar module, which everyone ATM has access to (ie, walking around your hangar, staring at fishtanks, looking over your ship, etc). The second is the DFM (Dog fighting module), which is released a few months ago, and is about flying any of the Original Three Star Citizen ships around in two (soon to be three) closed space levels, with optional space combat against AI or other players (Note: Unless you were one of the original 350K backers of SC, you'll have to wait your turn in line to get multiplayer, as RSI is slowly building up their server base). This is not the final game; it's still in development. If your interested in how far it is coming along, I'd strongly encourage you to read their weekly ‘Ten for the Chairman, Around the 'Verse, and Inside CIG' blog posts.

2. Yes, you can buy it for the lowest package and get the whole game when it comes out.

3.Star Citizen and Elite 4 are two completely different games in both design and gameplay. Star Citizen will have about 50 hand crafted star systems at launch (with fully detailed planetary and space station levels), a realistic physics engine, and a heavy focus on a "living, breathing world" (don't take that litterally), and a very cinematic mood. No, you won't be blown up at any time like in Elite or EVE, and as long as you have insurance for your ship (which will be readily affordable) you won't lose your ship when it does blow up. Play this if your looking for say, you want to live in a rich universe and you don't give a damn about scinetific accuracy.

Elite on the other hand, is about a massive, procedurally generating universe spanning 400 billion star systems, everyone can kill, rob, and beat each other into submission, aand the gameplay leans towards heavy tactical combat (going as far as altering game physics such as yaw to make it so). Play this if your either looking for a first-person EVE Online or a lawess universe of immense size and don't mind the repettition. Also immerisve, just don't expect epic, cinematic battles, capital ships, safety, or a rich lorebase. Also, the ships aren't fancy like Star War; the universe is designed to be realistic. That means, torus shaped space stations (becase there is no artifical gravity), wedge shaped space ships, etc.

Please, watch the video on the front page of RSI for a better feel as to what exactly is CR's vision for SC.

I wish you luck in choosing!

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Bear in mind that buying a package now no longer gets you into the alpha and beta, you have to buy that extra.

Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian Stormclaw View Post
    Would've been nice if we could've had both the long promised Galactapedia and the map to be developed at the same time, considering they both go hand in hand with each other in terms of lore, gameplay, and technical development.
    Well, I can see that building out the map first (which is leading in the voting) is a logical first step. The Galactapedia is a clear second in voting so that will be probably worked on right after the map is complete.

10+ Year Old Account
    is anyone else getting really excited about this game? i sure am

i honestly feel like this will be the game that will invoke feelings and experiences i had when i played Vanilla WoW.

and for that matter i don't participate in the alphas or betas because it ruins the first time experience of playing the game at it's full potential.

I do look at the news and what it's about and i can't wait for it come out!

I was pretty excited about 6 months ago when I first pledged but then I realized that this game won't be coming out in its full state until 2016 at the earliest. Still can't wait for it though. That being said, their progress so far has been pretty good and it has been interesting to see how a AAA game gets made from the ground up. RSI gives everyone tons of information on the development of the game. Speaking of that, here's the latest monthly status report from the various developers and companies making Star Citizen....

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/c...port-July-2014

Quote Originally Posted by carnifex2005 View Post
    I was pretty excited about 6 months ago when I first pledged but then I realized that this game won't be coming out in its full state until 2016 at the earliest. Still can't wait for it though. That being said, their progress so far has been pretty good and it has been interesting to see how a AAA game gets made from the ground up. RSI gives everyone tons of information on the development of the game. Speaking of that, here's the latest monthly status report from the various developers and companies making Star Citizen....

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/c...port-July-2014
    Hopefully Travis Day's guitar will (hopefully) prevent him from losing his mind during the next 36 months of traveling back and forth between the offices for meetings...

Keep up the good work RSI! I have CIG! I have faith in you!

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think the actual scope of the project is impressive enough as it is. When you look at how every person within the various studios is professional about what they do and the way they show that they really care about this project shows that Star Citizen is going to truly be unique. Very few developers have the people who love and care about what they do and you see it in how they recycle franchises rather then creating new and innovative content. This project has the biggest risk of any game to date and so far it has been pretty good. The dedication of the team is important and the day the game goes live will be one to remember.

Dunno if this has been mentioned yet, but you can get Wing Commander 3 for free on Origin this month.

https://www.origin.com/en-gb/store/b...t-of-the-tiger

Thanks for the answers, I think for the moment I'll just reinstall Pioneer ( if only they had made this game with high graphics... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZJs-NHTi3k ) , and geek on that for a while. From the searches I've done so far, Star citizen in it's current state is not worth it. 2 maps, can't leave the proximities...just pew pew lasers. Will become a citizen when they open the world.

Arena Commander multiplayer is now available to all backers...

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/c...ayer-Available

Deleted
    http://i.imgur.com/V7zGoVk.jpg

Upcoming Constellation variants

The Capture the Core game mode has now been added to Arena Commander. Can't wait to try that out tonight.

"Patterned after classic ‘Capture the Flag’ games but with the additional challenge of operating in three dimensional space, Capture the Core is a team based game mode that rewards points to players for capturing ‘cores’ from the opposite side of the map. Players must capture the cores and then transport them to the other side of the map to add to their energy stockpile."

The Capture the Core game mode has now been added to Arena Commander. Can't wait to try that out tonight.

"Patterned after classic ‘Capture the Flag’ games but with the additional challenge of operating in three dimensional space, Capture the Core is a team based game mode that rewards points to players for capturing ‘cores’ from the opposite side of the map. Players must capture the cores and then transport them to the other side of the map to add to their energy stockpile."
    Ahhhh, oh the memories! So reminiscent of the old days of space CTF in Star Wars Battlefront 2... just without the third person camera. Speaking of which, any plans to add a functional UI to the third person camera in SC? I think it's more awesome than the first person, especially during the space fights, but can't see reticle or healths or anything.

Ahhhh, oh the memories! So reminiscent of the old days of space CTF in Star Wars Battlefront 2... just without the third person camera. Speaking of which, any plans to add a functional UI to the third person camera in SC? I think it's more awesome than the first person, especially during the space fights, but can't see reticle or healths or anything.
    No plans at all. Basically a lot of people are up in arms with any sort of UI in 3rd person because of the advantage it would bring against players in 1st person, so RSI has pledged not to have any UI for 3rd person. I personally like 3rd person to admire my ship during battles too, so I would like that too.

No plans at all. Basically a lot of people are up in arms with any sort of UI in 3rd person because of the advantage it would bring against players in 1st person, so RSI has pledged not to have any UI for 3rd person. I personally like 3rd person to admire my ship during battles too, so I would like that too.

WHY CHRIS ROBERTS WHY?!?!

10+ Year Old Account

WHY CHRIS ROBERTS WHY?!?!
    Id assume its to not piss off the people over at RSI forums, they would oppose such a thing greatly.

I wonder, will SC have multiple galaxies, or will be limited to one only as Elite will be? Obviously not on release, but in further expansions, would be nice to explore other galaxies, especially if they don't have any inhabitants. Just empty balls of rock and gas will do. Even copy pasted, it will still give a deeper immersion, not limited to 1 galaxy.

I'm going to need a hack for the PU! One that yields an overlay of the UI in first person onto the third person camera, so I can play an epic-space dogfighting game from heavenly cinematic perspectives!

@ CIG: Please add UI for third person! It doesn't really add that much of an advantage; it just looks so much better!

10+ Year Old Account
    There's also the fact that CR has this thing about "immersion" It's more immersive inside a cockpit rather then from some strange god like view floating behind a ship.