Quote Originally Posted by Nerraw View Post
    What will happen first: Star Citizen releases, or SpaceX lands starship on the Moon?
    Come on you have to try harder then that. Obviously SpaceX will land on the moon sooner.
    The real question is first manned mission to Mars or SC release.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

Quote Originally Posted by 1001 View Post
    You're completely missing what is being referred to.

This is about how Odyssey now uses procedural generation with tiles for its planetary surfaces, which is what CIG uses.
    Prior to Odyssey they did not uses tiles and the trouble with tiling is that humans are very adept at seeing repeats in the layout.

This is noticeable when viewing the planet from space.
    Nah CIG used that in their first versions of planet tech like 3-4 years ago. They've been refining it along the years so patterns are not as noticeable now.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    A delay of only 6 months. I bet SC fans wish it was only delayed 6 months instead of 6 years or so.

Nah, we're good. But I bet ED fans would wish Odyssey had been delayed a bit more instead of officially releasing as "gold" when it was still clearly unfinished and broken for many in the "alpha" test of 2 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by notaltacc View Post
    I’m fine taking into consideration that the game is still unfinished.

But it’s far more than just an unfinished video game, by your own words it’s an unfinished game with more depth and content than most finished games.

It’s also an unfinished game that has been in development for a decade.
    An unfinished game that already got over $300 million for development.
    An unfinished game with a 50$ access.
    An unfinished game with “microtransactions” worth up to thousand dollars.

You can’t go the entire thread bragging about this sort of shit just to conveniently forget about it when you need an excuse to brush off comments that you do not approve, plus, being “unfinished” was never a “get out of jail” card, lots of early access games in steam still being criticized and reviewed for what they are, Star Citizen shouldn’t be any different.

From the moment a company is willing to take our money, it opens itself to criticism.
    Off course you can. Star Citizen has factually, more depth and content than many "finished games". Namely Elite Dangerous.

It's a game in development, anyone who chooses to back the development of a game should to be aware of what they are backing. If they aren't it's their fault.

The only ones "forgetting" things are the ones that turn a blind eye in every other game, company and their development while hating on Star Citizen for the most petty things.

What you don't seem to understand is that "crying in forums add nauseam" is not criticism or accountability. It's just noise. Insignificant and redundant noise that has 0 influence in the game or it's development and funding as the graphs show:

Quote Originally Posted by GreenJesus View Post
    So why don't they just focus on making it playable and then release expansions with new features down the road? I guess they are making more money stringing people along for donations?
    That's whar CDPR did with Cyberpunk and Bioware did with Anthem for example for the sake of getting some cash injection and please investors.
    CIG doesn't need that thanks to it's crowdfunded and open development strategy because doing so is detrimental to implementing the full scope of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    Some companies go above and beyond to have a predatory cash shop, pay huge fees to access the game as if it was launched in a completed state, basically making testers pay for it and essentially paying for hopes and dreams. It is scummy that these people have take this long and taken in this much money only to have such an incomplete product.
    You should create your own Odyssey thread if you want to talk about Frontier and their DLC's.

Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    This so much. I myself really enjoyed Cyberpunk 2077 but I am not going to pretend that there aren't issues with it, and these issues are mostly down to the top levels of the company and project management. Kind of what is happening with SC really.

There is no such thing as a perfect game and there never will be. And there is nothing wrong with criticising a game that you like. I've done it many times, even with games I like and recommend to others.
    Nobody is stating that SC or CIG are perfect, just that the "scam" and "mismanagement" allegations are wildly hyperbolic and mostly based on misinformation and ignorance. Doesn't help that they are spout by the same haters again and again.

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    Because they can't.
    Every year they prove otherwise though. Besides your own uninformed opinion there's a basic fact that you, and many, fail to grasp or aknowledge.

There's no game like what Star Citizen is making. No engine can support it, the closest you'll get to a game like Star Citizen is playing the Star Citizen Alpha made by CIG with their engine.

Most here are hating a game in development which they have no clue what it's doing, all they parrot is "sCaM sCam" without any real understanding of what's being developed.

Only failures wish others to fail.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MrAnderson View Post
    No engine can support it.
    HaYYyyYYy! You finally said something not laughable and true about star citizen.

I fucking love your self owns. <3 You're the best!

And I love how you call the CryEngine, you know, the one they just signed a perpetual lisc deal for, their engine. You don't even know about the game you're paid to promote, lol my sides.
    Last edited by Beazy; 2021-05-26 at 04:06 PM.

No engine can support it, the closest you'll get to a game like Star Citizen is playing the Star Citizen Alpha made by CIG with their engine.
    You mean an altered CryEngine/Lumberyard? You say no engines can support it, and if something is pretty much technically impossible the usual response of the producers/directors on the title is to scale things back and figure out what is technically achievable and design around that instead of spending years slamming their heads into a wall in the hopes they'll finally make some headway on the impossible tech.

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    I may be misremembering, but I thought releasing SQ42 first was the entire point. Let it feed SC and so on. Instead, you they got huge names to be in it, who probably don't even remember it at this point, only for it to not even get mentioned years later.
    that worked out great for that kingdoms of amalur company. they wanted to let a singleplayer game fund their mmo too while co-developing both at the same time too.

guess the difference is that on kickstarter you are legally fairly safe, whereas if you take a loan from the government you can get sued into oblivion.

What you don't seem to understand is that "crying in forums add nauseam" is not criticism or accountability. It's just noise. Insignificant and redundant noise that has 0 influence in the game or it's development and funding as the graphs show
    Noise that apparently you seem obligated to answer. Noise that seems to bother you because you must rush to attempt to 'correct' the noise and sucker more people into buying in. It is almost like you are forced to combat the noise, almost like you are paid to do so.

- - - Updated - - -

You should create your own Odyssey thread if you want to talk about Frontier and their DLC's.
    Do not attempt to turn yourself into a moderator. If you feel I'm 'off topic' report my post.

- - - Updated - - -

There's no game like what Star Citizen is making. No engine can support it
    And no engine likely ever will considering the feature creep. But good on you for admitting after this long their own engine cannot support the game

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Beazy View Post
    HaYYyyYYy! You finally said something not laughable and true about star citizen.

I fucking love your self owns. <3 You're the best!

And I love how you call the CryEngine, you know, the one they just signed a perpetual lisc deal for, their engine. You don't even know about the game you're paid to promote, lol my sides.
    I know, I just have the biggest grin on my face after his major self-own. That made my day.

That's why CIG needed to make their own custom built engine. I mean I know most here don't have basic tech knowledge or particularly like to delve into the intricacy's of game development but I shouldn't need to make a drawing everything we go into tech stuff.

No wonder the advanced virtual universe simulation explanation didn't resonate.

Here's another try:

If you wonder why making a game like Star Citizen takes so long, there's a clue, another one is that after 10 years no company has released something even remotely close to what the Star Citizen Alpha provides.

Funding follows the ambition.

Nah CIG used that in their first versions of planet tech like 3-4 years ago. They've been refining it along the years so patterns are not as noticeable now.
    Afaik they are still using a tiling based method. When they can produce more than 4 planets I guess we'll see how well it holds up.

Nah, we're good. But I bet ED fans would wish Odyssey had been delayed a bit more instead of officially releasing as "gold" when it was still clearly unfinished and broken for many in the "alpha" test of 2 weeks.
    Again with this shit? The alpha was a lot longer than 2 weeks, not long enough admittedly but to claim it was just 2 weeks is more bullshit from you.

Off course you can. Star Citizen has factually, more depth and content than many "finished games". Namely Elite Dangerous.
    And more bullshit, just fucking lol dude.

Here's some nice screenies from Odyssey https://imgur.com/a/yQ6R31o

There's no game like what Star Citizen is making. No engine can support it, the closest you'll get to a game like Star Citizen is playing the Star Citizen Alpha made by CIG with their engine.
    after 10 years no company has released something even remotely close to what the Star Citizen Alpha provides
    And after 10 years if this is their best then good fucking luck the rest of the way. No engine can support it and they sure are missing a lot of promised features.

No engine can support it + closest you can get + after 10 years no company has managed to do it = disaster

Sounds about right. Thanks Anderson for finally summing it up for all of us.

That's why CIG needed to make their own custom built engine.
    god that would be amazing. after 10 years of re-writing systems decide to go all the way and effectively start from scratch. and somehow still get donations after that i'm sure. (heck maybe it would boost donations since it would create massive media attention.)

the drama would be the best in years.

Weren't you harping on about armchair developers? If CIG can modify an off-the-shelf engine then any other bunch of code monkeys can do the same. The only reason another studio hasn't done what CIG is doing is because they're not stupid enough to waste 10 years and $450 million on producing an alpha product. It is not a smart or finacially viable way of doing business because all you have is outgoing costs, the time for ROI is years and years away.

Ah, yes, “factually”.

It's a game in development, anyone who chooses to back the development of a game should to be aware of what they are backing. If they aren't it's their fault.

Not entirely wrong, as they say “a fool and his money are soon parted”.

However, if we follow that logic than every victim of crowdfunding scams should just suck it up silently, after all, they also should be aware of what they are backing… and that’s just silly.

Truth is they gave their backers an estimated release of 2014 for the single player game, it’s mid 2021 and people are still waiting just for the beta of the first part of the damn thing… alas, apparently it’s entirely their own fault for remotely trusting a company like CiG with this sort of shit.

The only ones "forgetting" things are the ones that turn a blind eye in every other game, company and their development while hating on Star Citizen for the most petty things.

What you don't seem to understand is that "crying in forums add nauseam" is not criticism or accountability. It's just noise. Insignificant and redundant noise that has 0 influence in the game or it's development and funding as the graphs show:
    I’ve seen the graphics, hard not to, as you often feel the need to flex about it.
    I just don’t know if all that money, all this time for… this, is a reason to be boastful.

As for the rest, its pure projection and nonsense, you just linked not so long a go the reviews of Odyssey, and those were written by ED players, people are not turning a blind eye to every other game, its you who turns a blind eye when that sort of shit is about Star Citizen, worse even if you think about it, you excuse it, you deny it, you enable it.

$60 for some paint jobs, down from $80. Or $72 down from $96 for those across the pond. Amazing value!

Quote Originally Posted by masterblaster0 View Post
    snip
    Everything beyond the base game is optional, so if someone spends the money on something then it is of value to them.
    STAR-J4R9-YYK4 use this for 5000 credits in star citizen

Ah, yes, “factually”.

Not entirely wrong, as they say “a fool and his money are soon parted”.

However, if we follow that logic than every victim of crowdfunding scams should just suck it up silently, after all, they also should be aware of what they are backing… and that’s just silly.

Truth is they gave their backers an estimated release of 2014 for the single player game, it’s mid 2021 and people are still waiting just for the beta of the first part of the damn thing… alas, apparently it’s entirely their own fault for remotely trusting a company like CiG with this sort of shit.

I’ve seen the graphics, hard not to, as you often feel the need to flex about it.
    I just don’t know if all that money, all this time for… this, is a reason to be boastful.

As for the rest, its pure projection and nonsense, you just linked not so long a go the reviews of Odyssey, and those were written by ED players, people are not turning a blind eye to every other game, its you who turns a blind eye when that sort of shit is about Star Citizen, worse even if you think about it, you excuse it, you deny it, you enable it.

Quote Originally Posted by kenn9530 View Post
    snip
    It is about the seller, not the buyer. Just like it is about EA and their FIFA teams, so on and so forth.

Gross monetization is gross.

Everything beyond the base game is optional, so if someone spends the money on something then it is of value to them.
    Doesn't absolve a company of having shitty practices, like EA's bullshit, lootboxes and so on. Charging that much money for a fucking paint job is unreal. I'm not a big fan of cosmetic cash shop things in the first place but we're talking paint for a ship here, 60 bucks ON SALE.

- - - Updated - - -

It is about the seller, not the buyer. Just like it is about EA and their FIFA teams, so on and so forth.

Yup. EA, Fifa, Gacha Games, FFXIV has a bullshit one, Blizzard's cash shop has some way overpriced services, the list goes on. Just because many companies do it doesn't make it okay.

I understand it for free to play games like Warframe, GW and so on as they need that income because they aren't charging a box fee to get into the game or a monthly sub, but damn even some of those games go way out of bounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    Come on you have to try harder then that. Obviously SpaceX will land on the moon sooner.
    The real question is first manned mission to Mars or SC release.
    I’ll be on my third Mars vacation by the time we get a release date

I really wish the creator didn’t shoot themselves in the foot because this game was gonna be amazing but it’s taking so long the initial hype died down and the game won’t be as cutting edge as it was originally going to be

If they stopped adding more and more ships and guns before launch and just had that stuff as live updates then they would literally be the biggest mmo on the market and I would be wasting days in it

- - - Updated - - -

$60 for some paint jobs, down from $80. Or $72 down from $96 for those across the pond. Amazing value!

Noooooooooo

FUCKING BLUE?!?!?!

And this is the main source of income to develop the game so if it runs out the development of the game will not continue, at this point anyone buying anything to do with star citizen knows where the money is going and its a choice to buy things you dont really need, there is nothing wrong with continuing to support the games development or even not buying anything but the base game.
    STAR-J4R9-YYK4 use this for 5000 credits in star citizen

And this is the main source of income to develop the game so if it runs out the development of the game will not continue, at this point anyone buying anything to do with star citizen knows where the money is going and its a choice to buy things you dont really need, there is nothing wrong with continuing to support the games development or even not buying anything but the base game.
    Umm correct me if I'm wrong but there is also a box price to play the game. Then they have the most expensive cash shop I've EVER seen and I thought Final Fantasy, FIFA, Madden and so on had bad ones. But fuck SC is unreal on the prices.

If the box price, kickstarted money, outside investments and ship sales aren't enough to fund the game where you then need to turn to paint jobs to fund the game maybe dial back the damn scope of the game or stop taking 10+ years.