Quote Originally Posted by MrAnderson View Post
    It is how long SOME single-players can take to make. Just like every media you can take more and less depending on WHAT and HOW you do it. Books don't have to take the same time to write, music albums don't have to take all the same time to record, movies don't have to take the same time to shoot and games don't to take the same time to develop.
    Quote Originally Posted by kenn9530 View Post
    A single player game now takes 8-9 years that is of high quality
    Take your disagreement up with kenn then, don't change his argument. High quality single player games absolutely do not take that long. A few might, like Rockstar games where they have a near endless supply on money to make them, but most AAA, quality single player games (hell, even multiplayer) have a development cycle that's nowhere near that long.

TLOU 2 - 3 year development cycle
    GoW 2018 - 5 years
    Halo 5 - 3 years
    Witcher 3 - 3.5 years

Those are just a few examples, and I can dig up TONS more. It's still an entirely made up statistic that cherry picks only a few games to use as an example to fit his argument, regardless of if there's any truth to it.

Except it has been since 2013 to the tune of 400$million dollars pledged.
    2012, 6 different platforms (Windows, PS4, PS5, Stadia, Xbox One, Xbox Series S/N) and $300 million....Good comparison.....

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Take your disagreement up with kenn then, don't change his argument. High quality single player games absolutely do not take that long. A few might, like Rockstar games where they have a near endless supply on money to make them, but most AAA, quality single player games (hell, even multiplayer) have a development cycle that's nowhere near that long.

GoW 2018 - 5 years
    Halo 5 - 3 years
    Witcher 3 - 3.5 years

Those are just a few examples, and I can dig up TONS more. It's still an entirely made up statistic that cherry picks only a few games to use as an example to fit his argument, regardless of if there's any truth to it.
    Indeed but all of those games are sequels and made by already established companies. If you had the Crowdfunding and creating the studios and IP from scratch the timeline would increase for certain.

These aren't excuses but simple facts of the craft. Take Kingdome Come Deliverance, a crowdfunded single-player game with (some) AAA quality and trying a lot of new things, They had an estimate release date at the end of 2015 and released in 2018 while decreasing the scope of the game.

Going to crowdfunded mmorpg territory and their "estimated" releases.

Camelot Unchained - Dec 2015
    Crowfall - Dec 2016
    Pantheon - Jan 2017
    Ashes of Creation - Dec 2018

None of them increased the scope and scale like Star Citizen (they didn't get enough funding to even think about it) yet they've slipped their estimates by several years.

This is absolutely part of the hurdles of crowdfunding and game development and not a specific "faulty" game developer like disgruntled gamers like to point out.

Indeed but all of those games are sequels and made by already established companies.
    You're moving kenn's goalposts to the opposite hemisphere dude. Let him move those goalposts. This isn't a comparison of SC's development cycle to single player games, this is just correcting his made-up nonsense that "quality" single player games take 8-9 years to develop.

Understandable stance for people who lack the maturity to manage their emotions.
    Do you always have to attack people you reply to?

snip.
    Stance change is different thing. I stand where i am, its just I wasn't aware i also paid taxes for it.
    I also made an application to tax dept. in my country 3 weeks ago, because cig doesn't have any office here, so they should be taxed just like steam and others.

Still, this doesn't change the fact Chris Roberts of Turbulent is a liar and one of the worst managers in industry and CIG employing the worst devs.

Quote Originally Posted by Littlechamp View Post
    Stance change is different thing. I stand where i am, its just I wasn't aware i also paid taxes for it.
    I also made an application to tax dept. in my country 3 weeks ago, because cig doesn't have any office here, so they should be taxed just like steam and others.

Still, this doesn't change the fact Chris Roberts of Turbulent is a liar and one of the worst managers in industry and CIG employing the worst devs.
    So you're first post stance in this forum is all but irrelevant now?

I wonder how much else you got wrong along the way...

Bombing incoming!

So you're first post stance in this forum is all but irrelevant now?

I wonder how much else you got wrong along the way...

Bombing incoming!
    Are you sure you know what stance means?
    I wasn't supporting that time too.

But hey, if i was right back then and wrong now, can you just transfer money to cig saying its a donation without getting anything in return? If you can do that and can't withdraw after 14 days, i will agree with you.

I couldn't find such option, maybe its me, you have to buy something, uec or gift card or anything. You can't just deposit money. Am i wrong?

"Harrr, harrr, yar wrong! GOTCHA!"

- By Guy who just ignored a bunch of people pointing out how wrong he is about multiple shit.

Fuck, have I already told you guys that this is by far my favorite thread in the entire internet?

If there was a faster way to make a game of this kind I'm sure someone else would have made it by now. Yet, here we are with the same fanboys and haters all eager to play a game like Star Citizen and Squadron 42. Albeit each expressing their wish to play these games in different ways.
    What the fuck is this copium garbage? lol. I hope the game is good, but I'm certainly not eager to play it. In its current state, it looks fucking dreadful.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    The real difference between Star Citizen and all those other 'big AAA' games and their development cycles...

None of them had pre-game cash shop going selling anything.

Honestly, that's my biggest concern and disgust with all of this. Game Dev wants to take 30 years to make their game - they can do that. Don't care. Take all the time you need. People wanna crowdfund that forever - sure.

Having a cash-shop to charge people for a game that isn't released yet - much less items that still don't exist - just hard to swallow that its legal. It is. But that doesn't make it ok.

But that cash-shop changes the whole dynamic. None of these other 'big game' companies had the balls to do that. But by golly - pretty soon I imagine they're gonna wanna tap into this amazing money maker. Just boggles the mind.
    Koriani - Guardians of Forever - BM Huntard on TB; Kharmic - Worgen Druid - TB
    Koriani - none - Dragon of Secret World
    Karmic - Moirae - SWTOR
    inactive: Frith-Rae - Horizons/Istaria; Koriani in multiple old MMOs. I been around a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriani View Post
    But that cash-shop changes the whole dynamic. None of these other 'big game' companies had the balls to do that. But by golly - pretty soon I imagine they're gonna wanna tap into this amazing money maker. Just boggles the mind.
    "Founders packs" used to be a thing with new MMOs being developed in the mid 2010s, ie ArcheAge, Everquest Next, etc. But they stopped being a thing. No big name studios have attempted that since.

Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    snip
    Its just a simple fact, even cyberpunk is put at the 8-9 year development mark, so again you are the one with all the BS here. SC is a AAA title, GTA 5 and such are in the same catagory for development, Star Citizen didnt really start its proper development until 2015 when it actually had a reasonable staff level so you could say full development has only been going on 6 years for SC.

All other companies had the staff straight away so they could put as many as they wanted to the project, SC had to build pretty much everything from scratch and your still clueless about why it is taken as long as it has so far.

- - - Updated - - -

GoW 2018 - 5 years
    Halo 5 - 3 years
    Witcher 3 - 3.5 years

By quality i mean a AAA level of quality, and a sequal to a game should take less time because they can reuse work from the previous games to speed up the process but many high quality games now are taken 8 years plus to be launched and are still not actually ready to be released, a mostly single player game is far easier to develop than an MMO, especially a space MMO.
    STAR-J4R9-YYK4 use this for 5000 credits in star citizen

By quality i mean a AAA level of quality
    All four of those are AAA games and have been nearly universally praised for their quality.

and a sequal to a game should take
    Goalposts being moved.

many high quality games now are taken 8 years plus to be launched
    Again, this is not accurate. There are a few select titles with development cycles this long. The overwhelming majority are nowhere near this long. You're repeating the same nonsense you just made up.

a mostly single player game is far easier to develop than an MMO, especially a space MMO.
    We're not talking about MMO's. You specifically called out "A single player game now takes 8-9 years that is of high quality". Again. You are wrong.

Star Citizen didnt really start its proper development until 2015

@ https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...1#post53194353

Calm down Pinocchio.

Holy shit, that post is awesome. Why did the writer recieve a "trolling" flag but Kenn doesn't?

Kinda unfair.

snip
    Im pointing out all games are starting to take longer and longer to develop and thats just a fact as proven by many game released that are of a large scale like cyberpunk, you cant have it both ways and complain SC is taking too long to develop when there are many games that are taken just as long to develop.

Developing a sequal should take less time to develop than a completely new game, much of the development time work has already been done so its mostly about a new map, improving on previous gameplay systems and maybe adding in a few new things here and there.

I would say TESO probably is the largest scale MMO to be developed and that took 7 years, so creating SC should take longer than that.

SC in reality has only been in full development around 6 years at most, anything from after the kickstarter to around 2015 could hardly be classed as being in full development with the lack of staff to actually develop it.
    Last edited by kenn9530; 2021-10-01 at 04:19 PM.

Im pointing out all games are starting to take longer and longer to develop and thats just a fact as proven by many game released that are of a large scale like cyberpunk, you cant have it both ways and complain SC is taking too long to develop when there are many games that are taken just as long to develop.
    Then you can do so without making shit up. Simply saying, "Games are taking longer to make now" is largely accurate. But saying "High quality games take 8-9 years to make" isn't.

I would say TESO probably is the largest scale MMO to be developed and that took 7 years, so creating SC should take longer than that.
    Cool, I was never comparing anything. So this is a new measure you're setting up.

SC in reality has only been in full development around 6 years at most
    And in 3 years it will have been in development for 7 years. And in 4 years it will have been in development for 11 years. Because at least for you, when the development "started" seems rather flexible. Which is another issue.

But again, my disagreement was not specifically about anything SC related, just you spewing made up nonsense.

snip.
    Nothing i said was made up, games are taking 8-9 years to be developed, sequals to games already have several years worth of development already under the belt and still take 4-5 years to develop.

A completely new fresh IP takes longer to develop than a continuation, and MMOs generally take longer than single player titles, Star Citizen is doing things not been done before and that will take trial and error, some here dont even look at the game properly and dont understand why such a large game is taking longer to develop.

Nothing i said was made up, games are taking 8-9 years to be developed
    A select few, you implied it was the norm for AAA games.

A completely new fresh IP takes longer to develop than a continuation
    Watch Dogs, a brand-new IP from Ubi built as a AAA game (high quality, but mediocre reception) took 5 years. Again. You. Are. Still. Wrong.

TLOU 1 (PS3) took 3 years to develop. You. Are. Still. Wrong.

and MMOs
    You were talking about single player games, not MMO's. You're still moving goalposts.

I'll drop it here since you seem unwilling to accept that you are wrong, that's fine. But needless to say, you're wrong and should probably stop making shit up if you want to have any credibility in this thread.