Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    It doesn't mean anything? It means server meshing won't be in the game in 2022. I mean the reality is server meshing has been pushed back many times. But hey if you want to defend a company who lies to people that give them money, by all means. Die on that hill if you want.
    The progress tracker going until 2023 does not mean part of server meshing will not be released in 2022, it just means they will be working on server meshing through the rest of the year. They only need static server meshing to be working for Pyro to be implemented. That does not show only static server meshing it shows all work on server meshing. Static server meshing may get pushed to 2023 but that progress tracker does not show or prove that.

Quote Originally Posted by Yelmurc View Post
    Static server meshing may get pushed to 2023 but that progress tracker does not show or prove that.
    A lot of that is down to the fact that the roadmap has increasingly less and less use over time as CIG continues to miss dates and recently communicated that they were not sharing more detailed information about what's being worked on beyond the immediate next patch.

We're on our third version of the roadmap built from the ground up to be better, and it's still essentially as useless as the first version was. It's just been a big time sink with no actual value created for CIG or backers.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    A lot of that is down to the fact that the roadmap has increasingly less and less use over time as CIG continues to miss dates and recently communicated that they were not sharing more detailed information about what's being worked on beyond the immediate next patch.

We're on our third version of the roadmap built from the ground up to be better, and it's still essentially as useless as the first version was. It's just been a big time sink with no actual value created for CIG or backers.
    I agree with this. I feel them showing the schedule leads people to believe the bar ending is when the feature is done. Which is usually never the case. If you want to see when a feature is complete the best way is when you see the downstream teams working on the deliverable. Its confusing to some so I an see the mix up. It would probably be better if they just surprised everyone with a patch every 3 months on the PTU and we learn about what's happening from that.

I feel them showing the schedule leads people to believe the bar ending is when the feature is done. Which is usually never the case.
    Yes and no. This is on them and how they structure/communicate around it, but also around the expectation that the "end" target for a feature on the roadmap is when it will be delivered. Will there be additional work on it? Absolutely, but that's when the tech/feature/content is ready to be shipped. If that's not what the end date denotes on the roadmap, then they have an even less valuable roadmap than already stated.

If you want to see when a feature is complete the best way is when you see the downstream teams working on the deliverable.
    Is that on the roadmap separately? Because I didn't see it, and if it's not, then I wonder where you got his info from and/or why they wouldn't include this in the roadmap since this sounds like pretty big information, no?

It would probably be better if they just surprised everyone with a patch every 3 months on the PTU and we learn about what's happening from that.
    They committed to an open, transparent development process. They signed up for this shit and it's way too late to back out now.

This is yet another instance of CIG putting themselves in between a rock and a hard place due to terrible planning and/or decisions.

The progress tracker going until 2023 does not mean part of server meshing will not be released in 2022, it just means they will be working on server meshing through the rest of the year. They only need static server meshing to be working for Pyro to be implemented. That does not show only static server meshing it shows all work on server meshing. Static server meshing may get pushed to 2023 but that progress tracker does not show or prove that.
    That is your interpretation of what the roadmap means. Considering server meshing has been pushed back for how many years now leads me to believe it is not coming in 2022 (or 2023 for that matter.) You have not corrected any 'wrong information' as you so claimed.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkAmbient View Post
    What they forgot to mention is that it's 2023 of the yet to be announced calendar era that will be after AD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.

That is your interpretation of what the roadmap means. Considering server meshing has been pushed back for how many years now leads me to believe it is not coming in 2022 (or 2023 for that matter.) You have not corrected any 'wrong information' as you so claimed.
    You claimed the progress tracker shows static server meshing is pushed to 2023. That is wrong, it does not show that. Which is wrong information at this moment. You can be wrong sometimes its ok, we all make mistakes.

You claimed the progress tracker shows static server meshing is pushed to 2023. That is wrong, it does not show that. Which is wrong information at this moment. You can be wrong sometimes its ok, we all make mistakes.
    It just shows it going until the end of the year and ends there, but it should be a fairly same assumption, based off their consistent inability to hit target delivery dates, that it will extend into 2023.

Is that on the roadmap separately? Because I didn't see it, and if it's not, then I wonder where you got his info from and/or why they wouldn't include this in the roadmap since this sounds like pretty big information, no?
    If you go on the progress tracker you can toggle between "Teams" and "Deliverables" If you look at the deliverables you can see when each team is working on on a specific item. So lets say a vehicles is being finished. You won't see audio and Visual Effects teams until its almost complete. This works on most content features. Lighting isn't going to touch an area until its mainly build.

- - - Updated - - -

It just shows it going until the end of the year and ends there, but it should be a fairly same assumption, based off their consistent inability to hit target delivery dates, that it will extend into 2023.

Also its all of server meshing and not just static. He may be reading the progress tracker wrong, it's not totally his fault. And yes CIG is the see can kick it down the road company. So who knows when anything will come out. But it's not confirmed it is pushed to 2023. He is just making an assumption based on an incorrect reading of the progress tracker.

If you go on the progress tracker you can toggle between "Teams" and "Deliverables" If you look at the deliverables you can see when each team is working on on a specific item. So lets say a vehicles is being finished. You won't see audio and Visual Effects teams until its almost complete. This works on most content features. Lighting isn't going to touch an area until its mainly build.
    I am looking at the deliverable line for server meshing under persistent streaming tech, which extends to the end of 2022. The only thing they have going into 2023 (and barely, at that) is their "bug fix and tech debt" team, and I doubt they are remotely likely to meet the majority of those deliverable dates for 2022. Again, based on past performance.

Ohhhh excuse me, the bar stops at around December 29 2022 give or take a day. How dare I round it to the next year.

Are you fucking kidding me?

Also its all of server meshing and not just static. He may be reading the progress tracker wrong, it's not totally his fault. And yes CIG is the see can kick it down the road company. So who knows when anything will come out. But it's not confirmed it is pushed to 2023. He is just making an assumption based on an incorrect reading of the progress tracker.
    Dude get over yourself. If a bar goes to right before Jan 2023 what do you think it means? That server meshing is going to take up almost all of 2022. Not that I have any faith whatsoever in that company to meet those goals. Due not assume you know the 'correct reading of the progress tracker' either buddy.
    Last edited by Kyanion; 2022-02-17 at 10:02 PM.

But it's not confirmed it is pushed to 2023. He is just making an assumption based on an incorrect reading of the progress tracker.
    No, it's a safe assumption based off of CIG's consistent inability to meet deliverable dates, especially for anything forecast more than 3 months out from the current date.

I am looking at the deliverable line for server meshing under persistent streaming tech, which extends to the end of 2022. The only thing they have going into 2023 (and barely, at that) is their "bug fix and tech debt" team, and I doubt they are remotely likely to meet the majority of those deliverable dates for 2022. Again, based on past performance.
    Server meshing is not going to work quite the same way. Most teams have to get their sections of the game setup for it first. Then they build the server meshing. So it's almost an opposite of what usually happens. If you look at Persistent Streaming and Server Meshing Deliverable it shows the Persistent Teach and network teams until the end of 2022 and Game Services Team until the end of September. Also note as we get closer to release you may see additional teams have time added to the schedule. They won't add them until they know when a section is going to be complete.

- - - Updated - - -

Ohhhh excuse me, the bar stops at around December 29 2022 give or take a day. How dare I round it to the next year.

Are you fucking kidding me?

Dude get over yourself. If a bar goes to right before Jan 2023 what do you think it means? That server meshing is going to take up almost all of 2022. Not that I have any faith whatsoever in that company to meet those goals. Due not assume you know the 'correct reading of the progress tracker' either buddy.

Your issue is that you don't understand that static server meshing is only a part of server meshing. That tracker is for all of server meshing work not just static. No where in that tracker does it say static. It is a schedule for all work on server meshing which will probably never finish even after dynamic server meshing is in since they will always be optimizations.

- - - Updated - - -

No, it's a safe assumption based off of CIG's consistent inability to meet deliverable dates, especially for anything forecast more than 3 months out from the current date.

You can make that assumption but you shouldn't use an incorrect reading of the progress tracker to prove your point.

It's been nearly half a decade since NPCs broke. Bartenders don't even hand you a drink and generic NPCs can't even do a simple patrol walk around the city because they're bugged out and T-posing in chairs or walking in place.

If CIG can't even get simple stuff like this right, I don't see how they could ever achieve the fancy server tech dream they've been touting.

Server meshing is not going to work quite the same way. Most teams have to get their sections of the game setup for it first. Then they build the server meshing. So it's almost an opposite of what usually happens
    ...what? Why would they need to have the new content for server meshing? That makes no sense, and from what I recall they were specifically waiting on sever meshing before releasing new star systems.

Your issue is that you don't understand that static server meshing is only a part of server meshing. That tracker is for all of server meshing work not just static. No where in that tracker does it say static.
    But they don't mention static server meshing? Just server meshing in general, which includes both static/dynamic.

It is a schedule for all work on server meshing which will probably never finish even after dynamic server meshing is in since they will always be optimizations.
    This is news to me, and also would be a new way for roadmaps to work because this is not how roadmaps have ever worked. Your deliverable date is when the tech/content/feature is ready to be deployed, period. Additional work and bugfixing isn't factored into that, that occurs after it's been deployed.

You can make that assumption but you shouldn't use an incorrect reading of the progress tracker to prove your point.
    Except they've given no indication they read it incorrectly, that's just your assertion.

They were correct that server meshing extends to the end of the year, and that if past experience is anything to go by that CIG will not meet that target date and server meshing work will extend into 2023.

...what? Why would they need to have the new content for server meshing? That makes no sense, and from what I recall they were specifically waiting on sever meshing before releasing new star systems.

But they don't mention static server meshing? Just server meshing in general, which includes both static/dynamic.

This is news to me, and also would be a new way for roadmaps to work because this is not how roadmaps have ever worked. Your deliverable date is when the tech/content/feature is ready to be deployed, period. Additional work and bugfixing isn't factored into that, that occurs after it's been deployed.

Except they've given no indication they read it incorrectly, that's just your assertion.

They were correct that server meshing extends to the end of the year, and that if past experience is anything to go by that CIG will not meet that target date and server meshing work will extend into 2023.
    Parts of a deliverable can be delivered and work will continue on the progress tracker. Case and point look at the deliverable for Derelict Spaceships. It has the MTL Sandbox team working on the wrecks, a bunch of teams jump in to finish up the Caterpillar wrecks, they where released in 3.16.1 and now the progress tracker shows more work from the MTL Sandbox team as they work on the Reclaimer wrecks. You'll see the same support teams come back in near release.

Server meshing will work the same way. When static server meshing is ready to be released, you see some additional work from other teams. A release and continued work from the main teams working on server meshing.

Parts of a deliverable can be delivered and work will continue on the progress tracker. Case and point look at the deliverable for Derelict Spaceships. It has the MTL Sandbox team working on the wrecks, a bunch of teams jump in to finish up the Caterpillar wrecks, they where released in 3.16.1 and now the progress tracker shows more work from the MTL Sandbox team as they work on the Reclaimer wrecks. You'll see the same support teams come back in near release.
    Yes, content teams. Server meshing isn't content, it's core tech needed for the content teams to build more content.

Server meshing will work the same way. When static server meshing is ready to be released, you see some additional work from other teams. A release and continued work from the main teams working on server meshing.
    Their inability to break down static vs. dynamic server meshing more granularly is the source of these problems. Their inability to project anything accurately, meet delivery dates, and communicate clearly is the source of these problems.

Yes, content teams. Server meshing isn't content, it's core tech needed for the content teams to build more content.

Their inability to break down static vs. dynamic server meshing more granularly is the source of these problems. Their inability to project anything accurately, meet delivery dates, and communicate clearly is the source of these problems.
    Then how do you explain the Gen12 rendering, we get parts of that throughout the patches. its not all delivered at once.

As for your second point, yes their tracker is shit and needs a lot of work to be more clear, we can both agree on that. My own argument here is that people are not readying the tracker correctly. Its not necessarily their fault, but their reading on it was wrong.

Snip
    Hey whatever man, you can believe whatever bullshit CIG feeds to you. They have a proven track record of missing repeated roadmap dates and pushing things back. This server meshing is a pipe dream that they can't get right. But don't worry just give them X more time and Y more dollars and that dream will be a reality!

- - - Updated - - -

yes their tracker is shit and needs a lot of work to be more clear
    It is almost as if the tracker is vague on purpose. Now why would that be?

- - - Updated - - -

people are not readying the tracker correctly
    And what if you are the one reading it correctly? If the tracker is shit how can anyone read it 'correctly'.

- - - Updated - - -

their reading on it was wrong.
    You can't read it wrong if it is done in a shitty vague way.

Then how do you explain the Gen12 rendering, we get parts of that throughout the patches. its not all delivered at once.
    Parts, yes. Server meshing has some major milestone aspects, none of which are broken out, which leaves us completely guessing as to the more specific status.

As for your second point, yes their tracker is shit and needs a lot of work to be more clear, we can both agree on that. My own argument here is that people are not readying the tracker correctly. Its not necessarily their fault, but their reading on it was wrong.
    Honestly, I don't want them wasting more time on a fourth iteration of the roadmap, with the prior three versions all proving useless in function and persistent problems with managing expectations within their community.

I honestly don't think they are reading the tracker incorrectly though. Just very reasonably assuming that server meshing as a whole will not be delivered in 2022. Which again, based off of all previous history with CIG is absolutely reasonable.