Quote Originally Posted by Aliven View Post
    Kenny is simply contrarian and a troll. He speak up, with the same trolling in other threads.
    Or he is AI let loose to piss internet.
    it's true that not matter the game he's posting about, he's as contrarian as someone can be, and condescendant about it, in ALL his posts EVERYWHERE on the forum. at some point, the joke stop being funny. but he's still here after all his time...

Quote Originally Posted by Soulwind View Post
    Duke Nukem Forever was pure feature creep, they wanted the latest shiniest thing and that meant restarting the project constantly, very poorly managed.

Half-Life 3 was never in actual development as far as we know. The writer supposedly had an early draft of what it would have been about, but that's it.

Star Citizen isn't poorly managed. Maybe at first? But I doubt even that. I think they've always intended on abusing the crowdfunding system. I'm sure they never expected this amount of success (and money). Had it stopped at some point, they probably would have released some half assed thing and run away, hoping that people would just forget about them. But since they kept getting more, they had to keep lying. Maybe eventually they'll get rich enough that even if they only use a fraction of that money to produce the game, something will actually come out. Maybe they'll buy Bethesda and say that Starfield was the game they wanted to make all along!

It's unlikely, but I really hope lawyers get involved at some point, this is just insane.
    At least with HL3, Valve never stated it was in development in any way. They just went along with the meme.

SC is just a bad joke at this point with the fact that, while they did release something out there, anything else is moving at a glacial rate. Even most MMOs do not take this long in development. By the time anything substantial releases, it will be over 20 years after the game was announced. It will be legally allowed to drink if it were an actual person.

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    Guys, GUYS!

They're still hiring developers, so they clearly don't have enough people yet, so development hasn't even started! Give them a break, jeez...

Sarcasm aside, boy do I wish this fucking muppet would stop talking about things he doesn't understand.
    Or the few who joined, saw the mess, and decided to leave.
    For all we know there may only be 1 guy working on this right now. If that.

Quote Originally Posted by kenn9530 View Post
    Saying a game is coming and giving details about every single aspect of a game is two different things, game companies rarely mention anything about a game until its released, every single game changes during development, thats just the reality of games development, no company actually really knows when a game will be ready at the start, thats why most companies dont say anything until its within 1 year or possible release and even then they still dont know if it will be ready for release.
    Yeah, no. Just one post earlier you said game studios rarely say anything AT ALL until its actually nearly ready. Which is a far, far cry from them giving "details about every single aspect of a game". In other words, it took two more posts from you for this to blow in your face in yet another stellar spectacle of self-awareness:
    Your constant lies will never be the truth, you have no evidence supporting you, however we have plenty evidence supporting SQ42 we have also seen recent footage of ingame systems from SQ42, whats it like being forever ignorant and wrong in all assumptions.
    Which, on top of the ironic part also reiterated that your pre-goalpost movement point was that game companies don't say anything until shortly before the release. With a specific time-table of 1 year of release in this case.

If that were true they would announce a year of release as soon as they have started development, so you are wrong, no company can predict when a game will finish development, no company can set a timeframe and guarantee it will be completed at that point, that is just impossible dream you have made up.
    In more "whats it like being forever ignorant and wrong in all assumptions" news, you're so alternatively knowledgeable about anything you don't even comprehend the difference between a publicly announced release date and an internal time table.
    Last edited by Mehrunes; 2023-07-02 at 09:12 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.

there are still ppl throwing money at this game, the last time I checked during one of the last sales I think the 3k capital ships sold out, not sure how you sell out of digital assets but yeah. I don't think this game will run out of funding any time soon. some ppl are just fully committed to seeing it succeed. I dunno if the game is too big to fail, I think they only have to do a sale on shiny ships and its funded for another year.

perhaps one day it will reach a version that is enjoyable to actually play, have it be persistent with the ability to generate interesting emergent gameplay. I'm not holding my breath, but I think they'll eventually have something that is worth playing. its obviously just going to take an inordinate amount of time to get there.

I was interested in SQ42 when it was going to be co-op but they scrapped that idea. so it never really interested me, I don't have it, the PU is what ppl hope has some sort of long term re-playability. currently I have more fun in Eve in terms of having an actual impact on the game world. the game play loop of SC just felt kinda bland the last time I played the game. this is coming from an eve player, a game notorious for being kinda bland out side of pvp. at least the game world feels lived in and actively churning away always moving toward something. I don't like sinking lots of time into games that are still getting progression wipes. I like the early wipes in tarkov but i think i've done 7 or 8 wipes in tarkov and I just can't keep doing the grind over and over.
    Last edited by Heathy; 2023-06-26 at 06:06 PM.

I was curious about this game several years ago but eventually lost interest in it because the ridiculously long development time.

I am fully aware that good products take a long time to develop but i don't think it's wrong to say that something sketchy is going on here looking at how many delays,road map changes etc.

I'm going to play Starfield when it's out. Doubt its going to be "perfect" but i don't expect it to be either ,if it provides a good story and fun exploration elements i'm set to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Haytham View Post
    I am fully aware that good products take a long time to develop but i don't think it's wrong to say that something sketchy is going on here looking at how many delays,road map changes etc.
    Biggest red flag was when they stopped talking about their work. The crowdfunding project was justified on the idea that the game development should be transparent and open to the backers. During the early days, they were talking to the backers showing every step of the process. There was even a Youtube series of videos showing them coding the game. Then, around 2015/2016, they stopped being open and the only info on the project we got were the monthly emails. And then they went dead silent on the state of SQ42 and banned people who asked questions about it.

Does anyone else remember when planets / new systems were taking so long because they were developing custom tools for planet design, and once they had these tools they'd be able to shit out new planets in days, and development would really speed up?

What happened to that? Why is there only one system still?

Quote Originally Posted by Henako View Post
    Does anyone else remember when planets / new systems were taking so long because they were developing custom tools for planet design, and once they had these tools they'd be able to shit out new planets in days, and development would really speed up?

There's no popint in developing stuff their servers can't handle...

You mean planet tech, or planet gen tech or tech gen tech planet tech or whatever tech ?

Talking about this tech tech here?:

The planets are still handmade, they use tools to do large areas but its still done by hand
    did you even bother watching the gamescon presentation at all, by the end of the year we should have planet tech introduced and many other feature introduced in upcoming PTU builds.

why do you even waste your time posting nonsense when you don't even keep up with the current development of the game.
    You do know that the features in star citizen are coming in leaps and bounds, they have already almost sorted the first iteration of planet gen tech and its miles ahead of what Elite has currently or will be able to achieve is a relevant time frame, star citizens planet tech is designed purely to create proper planets to the specs they want, in Elite its all just random planet gen. And now your speculating about the release day which you think is another 5 years away, we don't know how much longer it will take but im guessing in the 2 year range from now.
    2 years tops my dude, you just watch it.
    Ahahahaha!

Quote Originally Posted by banmebaby View Post
    You mean planet tech, or planet gen tech or tech gen tech planet tech or whatever tech ?

Talking about this tech tech here?:

2 years tops my dude, you just watch it.
    I don't know what's worse. That the third quote is from six years ago, or that I remember seeing him post that.

I don't know what's worse. That the third quote is from six years ago, or that I remember seeing him post that.
    I love the post after the 2nd one when a person calls them out for what they are. 6 years ago and dude still has the freedom to post constant nonsense all over the forums and isn't perma'ed. I mean I'm fine with the no-perma, it gives me comedy. But it is kinda absurd.

I remember how much that handmade argument made me laugh though.

We know that they've made at least 2 planets in the Pyro system, but they can't be released because of the current servers can't handle anymore planets. They actually had to remove one planet a few years ago because it was too much for the servers.

If the server situation is ever fixed, then the biggest bottleneck for new planets will be creating assets to plop down on the planets. They can't just reuse the stock Stanton outpost structures over and over. Pyro is introducing a brand new outpost tileset (the Tatooine-esque sandstone structures) but again it takes time develop a tileset. It takes CIG at least two years to make one city.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, right now the tools to create planets are incomplete. We still don't have roads or small towns. They just implemented a river last year. No waterfalls yet. Biomes such as volcanos are missing. No wildlife. Whenever these features are implemented, CIG will have to go back and update all prior planets to add it, and the more planets they add the more work it will be to go back and retroactively update all of the prior planets.

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    We know that they've made at least 2 planets in the Pyro system, but they can't be released because of the current servers can't handle anymore planets. They actually had to remove one planet a few years ago because it was too much for the servers.

If the server situation is ever fixed, then the biggest bottleneck for new planets will be creating assets to plop down on the planets. They can't just reuse the stock Stanton outpost structures over and over. Pyro is introducing a brand new outpost tileset (the Tatooine-esque sandstone structures) but again it takes time develop a tileset. It takes CIG at least two years to make one city.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, right now the tools to create planets are incomplete. We still don't have roads or small towns. They just implemented a river last year. No waterfalls yet. Biomes such as volcanos are missing. No wildlife. Whenever these features are implemented, CIG will have to go back and update all prior planets to add it, and the more planets they add the more work it will be to go back and retroactively update all of the prior planets.
    This makes a lot of sense to me. It's pretty hard to add towns and roads to games. I've never seen it done before, so it makes sense that it's taken them ten years to work out how to manage it. I have nothing but confidence that they'll get their tools completed and really crank out re-completing the current content, since they'll never actually be able to add any new content, if it even exists.

- - - Updated - - -

They showed off 5 of Pyro's planets and a Moon in this video from last years Citizencon.

This scam is so good because it's almost a complete scam but not quite. They probably allocate around 20% of the revenue they make selling digital ships to game development and siphon off the rest. That way there is at least something and it's like a carrot your backer donkeys can never quite reach and keep giving and giving and giving.

The game is at this point a total disgrace and nobody should give it any more money.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Release View Post
    This scam is so good because it's almost a complete scam but not quite. They probably allocate around 20% of the revenue they make selling digital ships to game development and siphon off the rest. That way there is at least something and it's like a carrot your backer donkeys can never quite reach and keep giving and giving and giving.

The game is at this point a total disgrace and nobody should give it any more money.
    Ehhhhh, I don't think this is a scam. They are developing it in a very misguided manner, but they are developing it, and it's immensely expensive. Someone linked the numbers previously, and it's ridiculous.

What this is, is a neat combo of rampant feature creep and sunk-cost fallacy. An unchecked ego in a quest for perfection. And it's going to end up a mess, because of it.

But yeah, nobody should be giving any money for this.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    And again, let’s presume equity in schools is achievable. Then why should a parent read to a child?

Biggest red flag was when they stopped talking about their work. The crowdfunding project was justified on the idea that the game development should be transparent and open to the backers. During the early days, they were talking to the backers showing every step of the process. There was even a Youtube series of videos showing them coding the game. Then, around 2015/2016, they stopped being open and the only info on the project we got were the monthly emails. And then they went dead silent on the state of SQ42 and banned people who asked questions about it.
    Sorry for the late reply ,life happens.

Well then, if what you just typed is true then there is no doubt something sketchy is going around there to say the least.

I have not spent any money on the game myself but i must admit i feel quite let down and disappointed it came to this. This is either one of the worst managed projects i heard of or a really sketchy business model to squeeze the fans of all their worth.

I think a better approach would be to release a stable and playable version of the game with the content they have while gradually adding more planets and other content through the years.

I mean damn man the game has been in the works since 2012 if i recall right ? Even if the game releases today,i wish i had the time to dedicate towards video games like i had in 2012.

Oh well, as i said previously, i think i will just chillax and try and enjoy Starfield ( hopefully it turns out to be an okay game, at least it has a release date... )

They give more than enough details on the development of both SQ42 and the MMO, just because you think otherwise doesnt change those simple facts, they even stated to the community a long time ago they will not release anything that could spoil SQ42, they are more open about development than any other company, they are the ones who decide what is relevant for you to know.
    STAR-J4R9-YYK4 use this for 5000 credits in star citizen

They give more than enough details on the development of both SQ42 and the MMO, just because you think otherwise doesnt change those simple facts, they even stated to the community a long time ago they will not release anything that could spoil SQ42, they are more open about development than any other company, they are the ones who decide what is relevant for you to know.
    Oh boy here we go again. More open about dev than any other company, lol.