10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by carnifex2005 View Post
    Pretty much the only marketing CIG have done for SC are game conventions and ship commercials (that is done by two people). Any real marketing for the game won't ramp up until the Persistent Universe or Squadron 42 Episode One is done.
    and alot of word of mouth too i think
    Omians- 70 Troll Enhancement shaman, Emerald Dream

Quote Originally Posted by lopiccolomage View Post
    So let me get this straight. $1 crowdfunded into Star Citizen = $5 invested into a game like Destiny when it comes to money actually spent on making the game itself?
    Apparently so. I'm assuming his numbers aren't that far off as he didn't get lambasted by the industry when making the claims during the kickstarter pitch. It would be interesting to see a revised figure after launch showing how much goes towards dev time in actuality.

so sexy and delicious
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

I guess I don't see the big deal in copying a game folder over to my HDD when I'm done actively playing it. Especially since not all games even need the performance boost from an SSD.

Or if you want to get really into it -- get 32GB RAM when you rebuild the system and symlink the model/texture folders into the RAM disk for maximum loading speed

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Omians View Post
    and alot of word of mouth too i think
    It's kind of interesting that this is being discussed. We were talking about SC in my MWO team last week and apparently the number of ships that have currently been sold is just over half of the total number of accounts registered. There are 633k accounts and just under 500k ships in the fleet according to the web page. Some people might be backing but not by buying packages. Right now with how few pack options there are compared to 9 months ago, it is hard to get people to want to buy. They need a better package level scale I think in order to get more early backing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    It's kind of interesting that this is being discussed. We were talking about SC in my MWO team last week and apparently the number of ships that have currently been sold is just over half of the total number of accounts registered. There are 633k accounts and just under 500k ships in the fleet according to the web page. Some people might be backing but not by buying packages. Right now with how few pack options there are compared to 9 months ago, it is hard to get people to want to buy. They need a better package level scale I think in order to get more early backing.
    That number is not saying how many ships that have been sold, the citizen amount tells the amount of accounts in total and the lower one how many of those accounts that have a package that gives access to the game upon release and can access alpha/beta, its not saying anything about how many ships that have been sold.

Even so, they definitely should be expanding upon the number of packages. It doesn't make any sense that packages for some ships have been removed.
    Last edited by zealo; 2014-11-02 at 12:55 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well they hit 60mil, and it looks like the boarding ship just barely edged out the transport ship.
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I'd never compare him to Hitler, Hitler was actually well educated, and by all accounts pretty intelligent.

Well, it's not like were actually going to lose any of the ship ideas; Chris will implement all of them on the poll ingame one way or another.

I have zero intention to spit in the oceans of cash they have by backing this but I DO hope it turns out well. Few too many promises at the moment which has me rather to afraid to drop money on it (plus I believe there's not anything to "play" yet apart from "hanger top trumps" (look at my shiny ship) and some of those ships in arena commander. I'll admit I'm slightly baffled why folks are throwing so much money at this.

That said, once there's a bit more content I can see starting to drink the kool-aid a little more really hope this goes well. In the meantime...ED (go easy, not trying to start anything, more of this type of game means the genre gets attention and money spent on it. Personally I've already spent about £60 on controllers for this particular sort of game, some outright bought, some bits made made made made so more games of this sort is better for us all).
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille
    I knew it would be useful to be french at some point.
    Quote Originally Posted by xxAkirhaxx
    just get a mac. It's like sleeping with a fat chick to avoid STD's.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by mercutiouk View Post
    I have zero intention to spit in the oceans of cash they have by backing this but I DO hope it turns out well. Few too many promises at the moment which has me rather to afraid to drop money on it (plus I believe there's not anything to "play" yet apart from "hanger top trumps" (look at my shiny ship) and some of those ships in arena commander. I'll admit I'm slightly baffled why folks are throwing so much money at this.

That said, once there's a bit more content I can see starting to drink the kool-aid a little more really hope this goes well. In the meantime...ED (go easy, not trying to start anything, more of this type of game means the genre gets attention and money spent on it. Personally I've already spent about £60 on controllers for this particular sort of game, some outright bought, some bits made made made so more games of this sort is better for us all)
    Oceans of cash?! You do realize the really good games have budgets of at least 100 mil. SC has like half of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardball View Post
    Oceans of cash?! You do realize the really good games have budgets of at least 100 mil. SC has like half of that.
    As I said... go easy, other games are further along (with admittedly much less scope) on a much smaller budget. SC is 18 months away at least... it's a bit early (imo) to be blowing cash on it. I DO wish it well tho
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille
    I knew it would be useful to be french at some point.
    Quote Originally Posted by xxAkirhaxx
    just get a mac. It's like sleeping with a fat chick to avoid STD's.

10+ Year Old Account
    well you don't have to throw a ton of cash at the game like others have,

just dropping the 30 gives you the Game at Launch and a Ship with 2 months of ship insurance at the start
    40 gives beta access

its like a preorder, if your not into preordering then not much else i can say heh

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Omians View Post
    well you don't have to throw a ton of cash at the game like others have,

just dropping the 30 gives you the Game at Launch and a Ship with 2 months of ship insurance at the start
    40 gives beta access

its like a preorder, if your not into preordering then not much else i can say heh
    Pretty much. With the current pricing structure of big budget games, any current backing up to $80 is covering the cost of the game itself regardless. I don't even know how much the game is going to cost at release, whether there will be a retail release or whether or not the game will just have tiered game packages digitally and a single base price for a generic starter ship like the current starter pack has.

10+ Year Old Account
    I still have this game installed but I haven't bought Arena Commander yet. When I get a lot more money I'll play more that and getting ingame is 30 FPS(Not sure if that's because the engine isn't tinkered with yet).
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

10+ Year Old Account
    I think with the game swapping to 64 bit here soon it will start running better on a lot of people's computers

I think one of the main reasons this game is getting so much support is because its not just another "sell out game" that's made/funded by these giant company's that only care about pleasing share holders and making a profit without any real concern whether they are actually making a good game or not.

Personally I think PC gamers who have been playing PC games for the past decade are fed up with all these Call of Duty type "assembly line style" games that are being created and released year after year. Basically all these games do is release the same damn game in a different skin and they all pretty much suck expect the original design but they rerelease the same concept for so long there's no way it can still be a fun game after 10+ years.

SC seems like its following a different trend then what we have seen and come to expect from recent lack-luster game designs. I couldn't be more excited about how original and one of a kind that this game is aiming to be, I think they are actually trying to make a next gen game for once instead of just releasing crap.

Here's nice breakdown of the FPS HUD that was used...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lopiccolomage View Post
    I think one of the main reasons this game is getting so much support is because its not just another "sell out game" that's made/funded by these giant company's that only care about pleasing share holders and making a profit without any real concern whether they are actually making a good game or not.

Personally I think PC gamers who have been playing PC games for the past decade are fed up with all these Call of Duty type "assembly line style" games that are being created and released year after year. Basically all these games do is release the same damn game in a different skin and they all pretty much suck expect the original design but they rerelease the same concept for so long there's no way it can still be a fun game after 10+ years.

SC seems like its following a different trend then what we have seen and come to expect from recent lack-luster game designs. I couldn't be more excited about how original and one of a kind that this game is aiming to be, I think they are actually trying to make a next gen game for once instead of just releasing crap.

Star Citizen is a MMO though so Call of Duty doesn't fit into it and like I said. Even long dev cycles can do bad. It's good use of money and resources that win the day.

Watch Dogs is a prime example of that. Not an MMO but I think you get the idea. Personally if Star Citizen does come out I'd rather wait a year or two before they do any massive updates. No idea what their update plans are or how they're handling it.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Not sure if this has been posted but it seems like CIG is paying Illfonic about $4 million to make the FPS aspects of the game.

Of the five film incentive requests, the largest, worth $763,953, came from Cloud Imperium Games Corp., which plans to spend $3.8 million with a Denver video game developer for a game called "Star Citizen."
    http://www.denverpost.com/business/c...ion-incentives

That's probably just for this year. I imagine there'll be more coming next year when it is completed.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.