Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Hey... I'm studing laws.... you know why? BECAUSE I HATE MATH!

Quote Originally Posted by maxilian View Post
    Hey... I'm studing laws.... you know why? BECAUSE I HATE MATH!
    Hey...>=/

I don't hate math, I actually love it. However, it is still very frustrating sometimes. I am studying engineering.

15+ Year Old Account
    Can we work towards a conclusion here. This cant be a general discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzzie View Post
    Can we work towards a conclusion here. This cant be a general discussion.
    I appreciate your concern but after 2 hours of trying to solve it today and 2 hours yesterday and 2 more hours the day before that I give in. If it is in the test I am simply gonna skip it. Also posted it on yahoo answers yesterday and still don't have a response.

This battle goes to math. But the war is far from over.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gober View Post
    I appreciate your concern but after 2 hours of trying to solve it today and 2 hours yesterday and 2 more hours the day before that I give in. If it is in the test I am simply gonna skip it. Also posted it on yahoo answers yesterday and still don't have a response.

It comes down to the fact that you need to do the work for yourself. While I sympathize with your hard work and struggle It's not our users responsibility to solve your homework problems for you. I'll give a another hour or so for people to pipe in with suggestions. beyond that I think you need to learn on your own.

It comes down to the fact that you need to do the work for yourself. While I sympathize with your hard work and struggle It's not our users responsibility to solve your homework problems for you. I'll give a another hour or so for people to pipe in with suggestions. beyond that I think you need to learn on your own.
    Completely understood. Thank you.

Deleted

I assume that you have a teacher that you can take the problem to? I've had issues with certain math techniques before that only needed someone to sit down and explain it in a different way or just go through it step by step. If you have a test coming up most teachers I had did guided revision sessions where they went though what we wanted them to.

But i alredy posted solution. (Well 90% of it). See page 2 last post.

Quote Originally Posted by Reganom View Post
    I assume that you have a teacher that you can take the problem to? I've had issues with certain math techniques before that only needed someone to sit down and explain it in a different way or just go through it step by step. If you have a test coming up most teachers I had did guided revision sessions where they went though what we wanted them to.
    So far it I have asked a few math tutors higher level than me, one professor, and a bunch of class mates and the answer has eluded all of them. I have a exam sometimes next week so I am gonna ask as many professors as possible. More than likely I should find someone than can do this.

start with the basics, express both sides with cosine and sine term: sint/cost x sin2t/cos2t + 1
    = sin2t/cost2t - cost/sint
    then make both sides one whole fraction with a common denominator. cross multiply to eliminate denominators and then eliminate common terms on both sides. then it got long and messy so here's my real tip:
    Go to www.wolframalpha.com type in the question and then search it. It'll tell you the solution but to see the steps you need to sign up and make a trial account, I personally have a full student account because as an engineer it's quite a powerful tool to have

Quote Originally Posted by Balvan View Post
    But i alredy posted solution. (Well 90% of it). See page 2 last post.
    You have to prove both sides equal. Meaning you have to work only one side until it looks exactly like the other side. I am positive if you input a value for X in the substitution equation you found they will be the same. However, to truly prove that both sides are the same and that all possible values of X will work you are forced to use algebra and trig identities to make one side look exactly the same as the other.

Someone in this thread has already worked both sides and proved that they are the same. But the rule is you have to only work one side on the exam. Which is kinda silly I agree.

Deleted
    Proving Trig Identities

This may prove useful to you. It's now almost 5am here and I should really be getting to sleep but I'll have a look over with a fresh eye tomorrow at some point and see what I can do.

You have to prove both sides equal. Meaning you have to work only one side until it looks exactly like the other side. I am positive if you input a value for X in the substitution equation you found they will be the same. However, to truly prove that both sides are the same and that all possible values of X will work you are forced to use algebra and trig identities to make one side look exactly the same as the other.

Someone in this thread has already worked both sides and proved that they are the same. But the rule is you have to only work one side on the exam. Which is kinda silly I agree.
    Starting from 1+tan(x)tan(2x), he turned it into 1/cos(2x). So look at the second half of his solution, but start from 1/cos(2x) and write the steps in reverse order.

There isn't even any extra math to go from his solution to what you need. All you need to do is literally rearrange what he gave you and make it into one solution.

EDIT: I took the liberty of editing the image solution: http://i.imgur.com/8RHfZ.png
    Last edited by Garnier Fructis; 2012-10-14 at 03:56 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    Starting from 1+tan(x)tan(2x), he turned it into 1/cos(2x). So look at the second half of his solution, but start from 1/cos(2x) and write the steps in reverse order.

There isn't even any extra math to go from his solution to what you need. All you need to do is literally rearrange what he gave you and make it into one solution.

EDIT: I took the liberty of editing the image solution: http://i.imgur.com/8RHfZ.png
    I am trying to decipher. Gimme a little bit but I do understand what you are wanting me to do.

EDIT: OMG...I think I love you. Like really.

I am trying to decipher. Gimme a little bit but I do understand what you are wanting me to do.

EDIT: OMG...I think I love you. Like really.
    He pretty much showed that answer when he first posted.... You simply just copy the bottom part, reverse it, and paste it after the first part. Thought that was logical.
    Last edited by hplaner; 2012-10-14 at 04:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hplaner View Post
    He pretty much showed that answer when he first posted.... You simply just copy the bottom part and paste it after the first part. Thought that was logical.
    He showed where they appear when you rearrange them. You can work in reverse order and figure out exactly when the 2 become different. It looks like you have to re-write -1 as -2+1...who the hell would ever think of that?
    Last edited by Gober; 2012-10-14 at 04:19 AM.

He showed where they appear when you rearrange them. You can work in reverse order and figure out exactly when the 2 become different. It look like you have to re-write -1 as -2+1...who the hell would ever think of that?
    No, what I mean is. You basically just reverse the order of the bottom one and then copy and paste it after the (1/cos2x). Just like what he said when he first wrote the first answer, since you have a way to get to (1/cos2x) for both sides, For doing it just one side, you simply write the first part, then reverse the 2nd part and copy it over.

In simple terms... lets say to get to point C from point A. You know the path to get from A to B, and from C to B. So now how you get from A to C? You simply use the path A to B, then reverse the path C to B and make it B to C. Now you got A to C.
    Last edited by hplaner; 2012-10-14 at 04:22 AM.

No, what I mean is. You basically just reverse the order of the bottom one and then copy and paste it after the (1/cos2x). Just like what he said when he first wrote the first answer, since you have a way to get to (1/cos2x) for both sides, For doing it just one side, you simply write the first part, then reverse the 2nd part and copy it over.

In simple terms... lets say to get to point C from point A. You know the path to get from A to B, and from C to B. So now how you get from A to C? You simply use the path A to B, then reverse the path C to B and make it B to C. Now you got A to C.
    Yes, I understand. I see what he did.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Duhhh lol that's what real mathematicians do in proofs. Tsk tsk Nutshell doubting me.

This looks like a hassle to do with just one side though.
    That's what real mathematicians do in proofs? Wow. I'm not saying that both ways of solving are correct, but even more, they are equivalent. Wanna know why? Because "=" is a transitive relation.

Quote Originally Posted by Rakeer View Post
    if you're talking about just putting numbers into the equation and seeing if it works that wont cut it at all and is probably just as easy as to do as prove it.
    lol no... I'm not an idiot. Proving an identity means you need to prove for all t, not for a specific one.

Speaking of, OP, you need to know that the identity is correct for all t, except 0, pi/2, pi/4 (I'm guessing you're solving the problems for angles 0 to pi/2, right?).

He pretty much showed that answer when he first posted.... You simply just copy the bottom part, reverse it, and paste it after the first part. Thought that was logical.
    Yeah, that's exactly what I was trying to say. Thank you.