Thread: Fire Mage Guide

Page 63 of 83 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Velk View Post
    >Fireball until Heating Up
    >Double Pyro
    Don't have a lot of time to respond to this, but this caught my eye. Do you mean that once you get heating up with a fireball you pyroblast twice if it crits? If so this is wrong. You want to fireball until heating up, fireball again and pyro directly after, and then begin casting another fireball regardless of anything else. You basically never want to pyro twice in a row in the filler rotation unless the boss is about to die or you have a 10 stack wush or something.

Quote Originally Posted by DeathDefier View Post
    Don't have a lot of time to respond to this, but this caught my eye. Do you mean that once you get heating up with a fireball you pyroblast twice if it crits? If so this is wrong. You want to fireball until heating up, fireball again and pyro directly after, and then begin casting another fireball regardless of anything else. You basically never want to pyro twice in a row in the filler rotation unless the boss is about to die or you have a 10 stack wush or something.
    Or if you're moving, or if there is a phase change, or if there is an add that has to die right away, or if the buff is going to fall off after a phase change, or if you are at risk for having to move, or if for some reason you're using scorch at that moment. Which encompasses a lot of fights.

As a matter of course, Pyro x2 in a row shouldn't happen in the filler because there is a delay in the missiles hitting the boss before you'd get another pyro proc anyway, so aiming for pyro x2 will be a theoretical dps loss as you are spending time not casting anything in delaying your next spell.

Your pyroblast damage seems low. Prob comes from holding on to your pyro for too long. My understanding is that you should be launching a fireball/Pyro combo when you have both your procs up to increase your chances of procing again and maintaining a HU/HS state as much as you can. On the other hand, I know what "drops" is what "Drops" but you lose nearly 1% crit going with Heroic Dinomancers over the Wand/OH combo and you really need a ring and least norm Cha-yees. I have mostly norm all fully upgraded gear and I still have 2k crit rating on you. Get that and you should be able to sustain better.

Short version: Replace low items, Get more crit, "Double Pyro" doesn't sound right.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeathDefier View Post
    Thanks for letting me know this. Been playing around with this and I've already seen an increase. Question though is during this Single Target rotation would I use inferno blast to upgrade Heating Up at all? Thanks for the feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by Mebhy View Post
    Your pyroblast damage seems low. Prob comes from holding on to your pyro for too long. My understanding is that you should be launching a fireball/Pyro combo when you have both your procs up to increase your chances of procing again and maintaining a HU/HS state as much as you can. On the other hand, I know what "drops" is what "Drops" but you lose nearly 1% crit going with Heroic Dinomancers over the Wand/OH combo and you really need a ring and least norm Cha-yees. I have mostly norm all fully upgraded gear and I still have 2k crit rating on you. Get that and you should be able to sustain better.

Short version: Replace low items, Get more crit, "Double Pyro" doesn't sound right.
    Thanks also for letting me know this, Like said before I've already noticed a difference when trying this out. Also, I have an OH waiting for literally any decent MH to drop. Overall though having extremely bad drops when it comes to 25 man, Literally no ring / cha drops. I'll work on seeing if I can get more crit out of my current gear. Thanks

EDIT

Alright, After a couple hours of testing I've seemed to of picked up the single target recommendations (IE Casting Fireball then Pyro immediately after to get as many Heating up / Pyros! as possible constantly)

My issue now is that I don't feel like I'm using Inferno Blast as I'm supposed to. So the question is, Should I be using Inferno Blast to Upgrade Heating Up whenever possible or should I be using it when I have Pyro Proc to get that heating up proc?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Velk; 2013-08-30 at 10:22 PM. Reason: Inferno Blast

Should I be using Inferno Blast to Upgrade Heating Up whenever possible
    Yes.

or should I be using it when I have Pyro Proc to get that heating up proc?
    No, fish for HU with fireball.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyromelter View Post
    Yes.

No, fish for HU with fireball.
    Thanks. Appreciate the feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by elpadrino293 View Post
    it is primarily because we lose thousands of secondary stats from trinkets, and you'd need more than 10k intellect to make up the difference, which we won't gain. and then to top it off we lose the 6.5% crit from the t15 4pc.
    To be clear that 6.5% from t15 4 pc is only on pyro.. and the tier 16 4pc will be greater than 6.5% crit chance on our pyros.

All is good though, 50% crit chance before CM is PLENTY.

Going into 5.4 I would rather have 50% crit and a lot of haste (mastery will not be good anymore) than 60% crit and no haste.

An updated rotation in the guide for 5.4 would be great. Velk has more relevant information than the OP.

My question is I find myself in the situation where I refresh my LivingBomb while heating-up is active, (without pyroblast proc oc), and inferno blast is off cd. From what I've read, in order to keep up ignite, and to upgrade heating up I should inferno blast immediately after refreshing my bomb?

So Fireball>Fireball*heating up*, Bomb less than 3 seconds>Living Bomb>Inferno Blast>Fireball until Heating Up ... ? Or is it better to not inferno blast and continue casting Fireball?

Also, in terms of my opening Combustion burst situation I'll set myself up with one heating up and pyroblast buff as usual, but cast Fireball one more time before hitting pom, trinkets, alter time, /cast Pyroblast macro while fireball in in flight. Usually if that fireball crits, then I can end up chaining up to 4 Pyroblasts (Pyro, Pyro, Inferno, Pyro, PoM Pyro) and refresh Living Bomb before resetting altertime and spamming out 2-4 more pyroblasts. I also have the Lei Shen Trinket, but was wondering if it procs at all in my opener before I have full buffs if it would be worth hitting alter time early?

Quote Originally Posted by Elestia View Post
    An updated rotation in the guide for 5.4 would be great. Velk has more relevant information than the OP.

My question is I find myself in the situation where I refresh my LivingBomb while heating-up is active, (without pyroblast proc oc), and inferno blast is off cd. From what I've read, in order to keep up ignite, and to upgrade heating up I should inferno blast immediately after refreshing my bomb?

So Fireball>Fireball*heating up*, Bomb less than 3 seconds>Living Bomb>Inferno Blast>Fireball until Heating Up ... ? Or is it better to not inferno blast and continue casting Fireball?

Also, in terms of my opening Combustion burst situation I'll set myself up with one heating up and pyroblast buff as usual, but cast Fireball one more time before hitting pom, trinkets, alter time, /cast Pyroblast macro while fireball in in flight. Usually if that fireball crits, then I can end up chaining up to 4 Pyroblasts (Pyro, Pyro, Inferno, Pyro, PoM Pyro) and refresh Living Bomb before resetting altertime and spamming out 2-4 more pyroblasts. I also have the Lei Shen Trinket, but was wondering if it procs at all in my opener before I have full buffs if it would be worth hitting alter time early?

I see a couple problematic things you are doing.

1. Use IB whenever possible to gain another crit.. in other words in your example, you would refresh your bomb and then IB.. and continue FB until you have HU + HS (don't worry about keeping up your ignite dot, it does not matter at all if it falls off, don't use IB just to keep it up when it doesn't fit into your rotation).
    2. Never use IB or bomb in your pre-combustion setup. Make sure your bomb is relatively new so it doesn't run out at the beginning of your pyro spam. It should look like this: HU + HS -> fireball -> PoM + AT macro -> pyro + pyro + pyro + ... + pom pyro(only use pom if your ignite is still slacking since it will be quite a bit less than your other pyros) -> Alter Time -> pyro + pyro + pyro + ... + combustion then pom pyro ( once again you COULD combust after your 2nd pom pyro but it will be quite a bit less than your others.
    Refreshing your bomb and using IB in your pyro spam will greatly reduce your ignite dot and therefore greatly reduce your combustion.. avoid at all costs.

Your personal experience will vary depending on your gear.

3. Never use the lei shen trinket, it is very bad for all mage specs.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Elestia View Post
    In this scenario you are munching your HU, or your not casting. If you cast bomb as you describe then if the fireball in the air dont crit you will loose HU as your casting your bomb and then you IB just for another HU.

You will always have a fireball in cast when you see the HU because of travel time. When you see HU upgrade with IB at the end of your current fireball cast and then cast bomb.

Thanks for the responses, very helpful. The biggest tip for me is probably not using my IB during alter time to get more Pyroblasts.

I was also too concerned with my Ignite dot, keeping it up with IB, such as after an Invocation, or re-dotting. However, in situations where say I have Heating up already going into needing to refresh my dot / invocation, doesn't it make sense during those windows given HU is up?

Also, hitting combustion before my 2nd PoM pyroblast is a great idea, since I think my ignite is dropping too low by waiting for the 2nd pyro, (in addition to me using IB / dot refresh!).

Field Marshal
    15+ Year Old Account
    There's one thing that has been crossing my mind, with the haste > mastery discussion right now.
    Won't it be much trickier to keep a watch on HU and HS, with the reduced cast times, lag, and fireball/pyro travel time?

I mean, if you shoot fireballs faster, you will have much less time to react to a potential crit, and use IB. It will benefit people with extremely quick reflexes, i guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Morpheuspt View Post
    There's one thing that has been crossing my mind, with the haste > mastery discussion right now.
    Won't it be much trickier to keep a watch on HU and HS, with the reduced cast times, lag, and fireball/pyro travel time?

I mean, if you shoot fireballs faster, you will have much less time to react to a potential crit, and use IB. It will benefit people with extremely quick reflexes, i guess.
    It can sometimes become next to impossible to play perfectly if you have enough haste. I magically had the worst trinket luck EVER at the start of ToT and had the legendary meta and the SPA trinket while also playing around with haste > mastery one night. Basically what would happen is that if we lusted on pull + meta + trinket I was throwing out fireballs so fast it became difficult to not accidentally throw another fireball after getting HS+HU. I wouldn't be afraid to say that situation would be impossible to play correctly without luck if you had any lag at all.

Setting up msbt to trigger sounds on crits, to react faster, helps tremendously. Humans react to sound faster than sight. (a study)
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...1#post21606061

Quote Originally Posted by Turkey One View Post
    It can sometimes become next to impossible to play perfectly if you have enough haste. I magically had the worst trinket luck EVER at the start of ToT and had the legendary meta and the SPA trinket while also playing around with haste > mastery one night. Basically what would happen is that if we lusted on pull + meta + trinket I was throwing out fireballs so fast it became difficult to not accidentally throw another fireball after getting HS+HU. I wouldn't be afraid to say that situation would be impossible to play correctly without luck if you had any lag at all.
    If you find yourself in a situation with that much haste, it is likely better to just spam Pyro. You give yourself more time to react and the dpet of Pyro under extreme haste is high enough to warrant spamming it.

I was gonna ask since we are goingback to haste from mastery under Hero + Meta + Trinkets and such would it be better after you go through ur Alter POM Pyro chain Combust Pew Pew. If you stil have your meta up while still under Hero would it be better cast Pyroblast rather fireball or just stick with fireballs and react? Now that is only under that situation. Dont do it outside of that I am assuming unless we just have ridiculous amounts of haste this tier?

Quote Originally Posted by Boomy View Post
    I was gonna ask since we are goingback to haste from mastery under Hero + Meta + Trinkets and such would it be better after you go through ur Alter POM Pyro chain Combust Pew Pew. If you stil have your meta up while still under Hero would it be better cast Pyroblast rather fireball or just stick with fireballs and react? Now that is only under that situation. Dont do it outside of that I am assuming unless we just have ridiculous amounts of haste this tier?
    Judgement call IMO. If you are soft capping where fireball is under 1 second, I think it's definitely worth a look. If your fireball is still around ~ 1.1 seconds, I'd keep spamming fireball. My belief is that at those levels of haste, it's pretty much dps neutral to cast fireball versus hardcast pyroblast, and fireball has the advantage there if something requires you to move, you can get your cast off and move quicker.

Am I gimping myself by geming int instead of crit? it just feels wrong to gem crit when I'm already getting so much on my gear

Quote Originally Posted by Snagletooth View Post
    Am I gimping myself by geming int instead of crit? it just feels wrong to gem crit when I'm already getting so much on my gear
    Yes you are.

Deleted
    Hey guys any got a BiS list for fire mage T16? Thanks!!!