Page 1 of 3
LastLast

What's the big deal about custom UI?

I often hear people bash the standard UI, which I admit, is not the greatest, but its still usable.

During BC while being in a top guild on my server, I used the standard UI but added Clique and Grid to have my groups smaller on the screen, but aside from that, I used minimal key bindings, and very few add ons to help, and I was never low on meters for healing. This is also regardless of which class was the OP healer at the time. We never wiped due to my lack of a custom UI on my part, or could not down a boss because my output wasn't high enough, in fact, there were people that used a custom UI that struggled in comparison on meters.

This also led into my raiding during Wrath.

I never understood the amount of people that act like the game is unplayable without swapping your entire screen set up.

You don't understand that people have personal preferences to how they want it to look?

I understand that completely, but you clearly did not read my entire post.

Some people just don't like the default UI. They work better with a custom UI. If you can do fine with the default UI, then go for it. That's really are there is to it.

For me it's an aesthetic thing. I don't like how it looks.
    CPU: Intel Core i5-4670k 3.4GHz | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB DDR3-1866 | GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 4GB (2-Way SLI) | Motherboard: MSI Z87-G45
    Cooling: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler; 200mm Fans x3; | Case: HAF 922 | PSU: Corsair Pro 750W

80+ FPS in Raids on Ultra. Stay mad.
    This setup no longer hits 80+ FPS in raids on Ultra. Stay sad.

Well personally I just didn't like the color scheme and graphics of the interface and position of the unit frames.

I don't need to mod the UI to play the game it's more of an annoyance.

10+ Year Old Account
    I could not agree more. It's absurd how much of a stigma there is on the default UI. I have used the default UI (with some custom UI experimentation that never lasted more than a day or two) since 2006 and I top all the charts (sometimes all of them at once.)

Caveat: I do use addons, just not ones that radically alter the UI's look.

Deleted
    People spend a lot of time looking at their UI and it looking nicer and being more convenient is great in the longer run.

The Unstoppable Force Resentful's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Moontalon View Post
    Some people just don't like the default UI. They work better with a custom UI. If you can do fine with the default UI, then go for it. That's really are there is to it.
    I likely wouldn't have come back even as a casual if they randomly banned the entire addon thingie, I just can't stand the default like at all after doing the whole addon thing / Custom UI for a very VERY long time

Can you point to a single person on these forums who says "the game is unplayable with the stock UI"? I think you've invented a person to argue with instead of taking what people really do say seriously:
    "The stock UI can be improved by replacing some or all of it using addons. Most players will find their gaming experience improved and their performance might increase with the additional information and convenience that addons can allow."

Once you get a custom UI going and get used to it it's like going from clicking to key binding your abilities default is never good, having a much more clean UI is a lot better.

Honestly Cligue and Grid make all the difference. Did you try healing without those add ons? If so, and you didn't feel you were where you should be on the charts I would bet that's why you customized. So, that is why people (like you, too) customized. But even the best UI can make a poor player play on the same par with a good player.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkenaw View Post
    I could not agree more. It's absurd how much of a stigma there is on the default UI. I have used the default UI (with some custom UI experimentation that never lasted more than a day or two) since 2006 and I top all the charts (sometimes all of them at once.)

Caveat: I do use addons, just not ones that radically alter the UI's look.
    Many of us have been using AddOn suites or copious amounts of single addons since Cosmos was introduced, and haven't used the default UI in so long that we have no concept of how functional it actually may be in 2012. Additionally, I personally have become so accustomed to my specific UI layout, that I couldn't imagine changing to any other layout after so many years - the least of which being the default "everything spread to the far corners of the screen" UI.

I honestly don't care how people play as long as they know how to. As for me i used the custome ui through wrath (wrath baby) and cata. after i played swtor though i just could not go back to the wow ui. i spent so much time with bartender and xpearl to give me a swtor interface and i finally got it.
    Bane

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    The standard UI has gotten alot better, though from a DPS point of view I still think it's much harder to play my class to the fullest without having at least something that shows me what procs I have up. Most of it is just personal preference but there are some things that can't be shown properly with the standard UI

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Brasko View Post
    Many of us have been using AddOn suites or copious amounts of single addons since Cosmos was introduced, and haven't used the default UI in so long that we have no concept of how functional it actually may be in 2012. Additionally, I personally have become so accustomed to my specific UI layout, that I couldn't imagine changing to any other layout after so many years - the least of which being the default "everything spread to the far corners of the screen" UI.
    I personally like the "everything spread to the far corners of the screen" setup, it helps prevent tunnel vision, lol. :P

10+ Year Old Account
    For me, it's usefulness. I use ElvUI. I prefer the dark, clean lines and the data text in more convenient locations. I like how the space is more efficiently used and there is just...less of everything. The colors of the health bars make it more obvious than usual, and I don't miss the icons.

Deleted
    I script as much of my ui as possible, I like the way the standard ui looks but i just dont like the sizes and locations of things, its pretty crazy what you can do with just a little bit of scripting.

Quote Originally Posted by evn View Post
    Can you point to a single person on these forums who says "the game is unplayable with the stock UI"? I think you've invented a person to argue with instead of taking what people really do say seriously:
    "The stock UI can be improved by replacing some or all of it using addons. Most players will find their gaming experience improved and their performance might increase with the additional information and convenience that addons can allow."

Only if you can point out where I said someone specifically said "it is unplayable" because, I'm pretty sure I said "people ACT as if it unplayable" I even triple checked my post, so no, I did not create someone to argue, I think you made something up in your head that I had said to argue my point.

What I trying to say is, people say things that make the UI appear useless in comparison to the customized UIs, when it really isn't. It's not great, but to not useless if I was able to use it for a long period of time as it was intended.

Also, to the perso that asked about not using Clique and Grod, yes, there was a time I did not use it, and I saw a huge improvement, but I did not change the entire look of my UI, I just threw grid in the middle of it while raiding, other than that, it appeared to be exactly the same.

This post kinda stemmed from seeing posts with pictures of something in game, and there are always at least a few people that have toile a snide comment on the person using the standard UI.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    For me, it's usefulness. I use ElvUI. I prefer the dark, clean lines and the data text in more convenient locations. I like how the space is more efficiently used and there is just...less of everything. The colors of the health bars make it more obvious than usual, and I don't miss the icons.
    I've tried using ElvUI. I really do like it, but no matter how many times I try to use it I eventually go right back to default. In fact, it's probably time for me to try customizing my UI again (and then going right back to default after a day or two)