Spec switching to use Elder charm of good fortune?

I wanted to know if its possible to take the 3 charms and go into lfr and say i want the tanking axe from elegon and switch to my tanking spec for the fight, pulling bad dps but who cares its lfr, and then using the rolls on the boss.. will it give me dps loot or will it notice Im in a non dps spec and throw some tank loot at me, i tried it once without coins and won gold from each boss, like always.

but just wanted to ask if this is possible or Im just wasting my time , not really 100% ready to tank lfr yet and wanted some lfr loot to help me out a little more.

Thanks

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Laid eh View Post

but just wanted to ask if this is possible or Im just wasting my time , not really 100% ready to tank lfr yet and wanted some lfr loot to help me out a little more.

Thanks
    First time in LFR I qued as dps tank and got the dps call popup. Went in but my dps gear was a trocious and I was doing better in tank spec than fury so... just stayed tank spec in battle stance at the begingin not to take agro... won 2 pieces of tanking loot as I was in prot spec! It goes by the spec you are for the fight and not the role you signed up as!

What I would like to know is if it goes by the spec you are in once the boss dies, or the spec you are in once you press the coin-roll button. Would be nice if you could kill a boss in your mainspec, then respec quickly before you use the coin, and get a chance for an offspec item.

Quote Originally Posted by Dranged View Post
    What I would like to know is if it goes by the spec you are in once the boss dies, or the spec you are in once you press the coin-roll button. Would be nice if you could kill a boss in your mainspec, then respec quickly before you use the coin, and get a chance for an offspec item.
    That's the sort of thing that warrants investigation. I'd do it myself, but unfortunately as a Brewmaster, my tank gear is the same as my DPS gear, so. :P

My tank gear set is 5 ilvls higher than my dps set due to usually tanking Sha/Galleon.

Deleted
    It's the spec you are in when you roll the coin. On our first Elegon kill I had to tank as someone couldn't be there. After we killed it, I switched spec and rolled and got the Starshatter (2h dps weapon).

Starshatter counts as a tanking weapon as well. Sadly so do 1Hs.

Quote Originally Posted by Stimp View Post
    It's the spec you are in when you roll the coin. On our first Elegon kill I had to tank as someone couldn't be there. After we killed it, I switched spec and rolled and got the Starshatter (2h dps weapon).
    What class are you? If you're a DK, then that sword is probably tagged as a tanking item also.