Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfsage View Post
    Kids these days don't have free time, or they have significantly reduced free time, or they have to ditch homework to get it.
    Yeah, gotta hop on XBOX live!

"He doesn’t think it is fair that some kids get help from their parents at home while children who come from disadvantaged families don’t."

Parents are not going to stop helping their kids study though. So I don't really see the point of that thought...

Quote Originally Posted by Purlina View Post
    "He doesn’t think it is fair that some kids get help from their parents at home while children who come from disadvantaged families don’t."

Parents are not going to stop helping their kids study though. So I don't really see the point of that thought...
    What he basically means is, because some parents are bad parents, we're going to lower the education standards on everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Worgenite View Post
    When I lived in Florida, the way they did the school there meant that classes were done sooner in the day(or maybe they were just that much quicker /shrug) but I was able to do my homework in class 99% of the time and I ended up getting all A's and B's which was a first since like 4th grade b/c I stopped doing homework b/c I didn't like it lol. Homework just seems outdated anyways :3
    Alternatively when you lived in Florida you got A's and B's because you got your homework done 99% of the time, regardless of WHERE that happened... Seems more likely to me. No way to figure out what you need to ask questions about if you don't practice on your own. Your conclusion seems like a non sequitur to me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    What he basically means is, because some parents are bad parents, we're going to lower the education standards on everyone.
    I get the sense that it's more, "Because we know some parents suck, we're not going to make children's education contingent on help from their parents. The kids will do the work in class, where everyone has access to an educator."
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes. Create a mandatory Homework time sometimes during school. Or force teachers to build in homework time to the lesson plans.

The only issue would be some students take a while to get it done. By doing it all in school, there'd be no way to handle overflow.

Deleted
    Yeah, gotta hop on XBOX live!
    Why not?

It's much more beneficial that studying subjects in the vein of "Being a Good Citizen" or parroting entire books word for word.

I never understood the point of homework anyway, so good riddance!
    Signature in progress...

What? Once again what stops them from doing homework themselves? They want extra study time let them do it themselves like "in the real world", seriously "lowers the education standards on everyone" its funny because that would mean the education standard was only higher because the kids were forced to do it instead of actually choosing to learn, and last time I checked forcing someone to do something isn't the best way to get results.
    "I just wanted them to hand us our award! But they were just talk!, talk!, talk!......" - Wrathion

10+ Year Old Account
    My main concern is that not giving a student work they have to be personally responsible for and setting a due date for that work means the kids don't learn the skills of personal responsibility and time management as much. Not sure if that will be the result, but it seems like a logical result to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfsage View Post
    Why not?

It's much more beneficial that studying subjects in the vein of "Being a Good Citizen" or parroting entire books word for word.
    In the real world that's hardly so. Each subject in school developed cognitive skills that video games will never come close to.

---------- Post added 2012-10-26 at 10:14 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Landin55 View Post
    because the kids were forced to do it instead of actually choosing to learn,
    How many grade school kids do you know that choose to go to school every day out of their own free will? I know I didn't.

What? Once again what stops them from doing homework themselves? They want extra study time let them do it themselves like "in the real world", seriously "lowers the education standards on everyone" its funny because that would mean the education standard was only higher because the kids were forced to do it instead of actually choosing to learn, and last time I checked forcing someone to do something isn't the best way to get results.
    Because young children are really responsible people, and know what's good for them?

In the real world that's hardly so. Each subject in school developed cognitive skills that video games will never come close to.

---------- Post added 2012-10-26 at 10:14 AM ----------

How many grade school kids do you know that choose to go to school every day out of their own free will? I know I didn't.
    So instead of giving them a little freedom we should make it all forced? Never grey, always black and white.....
    "I just wanted them to hand us our award! But they were just talk!, talk!, talk!......" - Wrathion

I think homework is useless honestly. If teachers actually did their jobs during the 6-8 hours they spend every day with the kids, then their would be no need for further assignments. Homework is a needless burden on the kids and the parents.

So instead of giving them a little freedom we should make it all forced? Never grey, always black and white.....
    Do you honestly believe 8 year olds give a shit about their future? No, they have more pressing concerns on their mind, like how long it is until recess.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think I could get behind this, yes. I always kinda turned off when I got home from school, and it showed. I didn't finish my homework all too often, but I had no problems studying and concentrating in school.

They have freedom, they can decide not to do the homework. No one is putting a gun to there head...

I am no longer a student, but back when I was, homework was the bane of my existence. Schoolwork should be done in class, not forced onto you after school. Homework =/= studying. Some students learn better without having to do repetitious exercises, or studying. Forcing students that don't need the extra repetition to do work that they may not have the time or inclination to do, only limits their potential.

When a student get's A's on every test without any studying, but graduates with a C because they didn't do homework is a failure for the education system.
    Last edited by Pendulous; 2012-10-26 at 05:06 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Seref View Post
    I wholeheartedly agree with this, and anyone who disagrees DESERVES to die.

I am no longer a student, but back when I was, homework was the bane of my existence. Schoolwork should be done in class, not forced onto you after school. Homework =/= studying. Some students learn better without having to do repetitious exercises, or studying. Forcing students that don't need the extra repetition to do work that they may not have the time or inclination to do, only limits their potential.

When a student get's A's on every test without any studying, but graduates with a C because they didn't do homework is a failure for the education system.
    God, that was me. I always got As on every exam, understood the material (in most cases I still do 15 years later), but my grades would go down because homework bored me. Already learned that, why am I doing this crap? Repetition did nothing for me. In fact, the reason I didn't go into Engineering or some other "mathy" major at University was because I didn't want to deal with the repetitive homework.

That said, I think homework can teach kids diligence, personal responsibility, time management, and preparedness. I don't necessarily think they did that for me, but those are valuable skills some kids learn from homework.

Seems to me, at least for older students, that this would be a missed opportunity to teach them some responsibility.