Otherwise still happy, but these vehicle dungeons :(

First there was Storm Breaker Protocol to avoid. Now the new chronicle is putting us in robot suits. So very much not the kind of MMO I signed up for. I want to play my character. I don't like being locked away from that character in order to play content. I just hope Trion's hearing half the complaining/queue dodging that I'm witness to so that this might be the end of it. I don't want to find myself driving an Ulduar tank when it comes time to face Regulos.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketsurgeon View Post
    I don't want to find myself driving an Ulduar tank when it comes time to face Regulos.
    So you haven't heard?

Not a fan either, Storm breaker protocol is the Oculus of Rift, and to make matters worse there is no way to choose what bar turns in to the vehicle controls so for people like me that don't use the first bar it's an additional hassle.

I'm ok with it in extreme moderation, as in purely optional or for very brief amounts of time. Did not like Storm Breaker Protocol's start very much. I think it's actually a good job of handling vehicle combat (I actually kinda enjoyed the second boss), but not actually playing the character I've spent time building irks me so.

I don't want to come off as saying things to be contrary, but honestly, I don't mind vehicle segments at all. Especially in an MMO setting.

I mean, you play an MMO for 200 hours plus typically (Depending of course, I mean, I probably have a good few hundred hours logged in RIFT) Where you play your character, build them, do things. it's a cool mechanic to be able to use something different with your character. From a storyline perspective it makes sense as well, hey, you aren't going to be able to take out 200+ enemies swarms without some help, here is a turret or a cannon or a giant robot to fight with.

Now, I can agree that it does get a bit tedious when it is done too much, but really, I don't mind it as long as it isn't in most dungeons and as long as you aren't just doing that for 90% of the dungeon.
    Last edited by Requiemcliff; 2012-12-11 at 05:49 PM.

My only problem with Storm Breaker Protocol is that they do not appear to scale with gear. This is good in some ways because it sets the challenge at a certain, unchangeable, level, but bad in that this is a progression based game and as I am more progressed older content should get easier.

Other than that, it's 2 bosses in one instance. It is not like you are forced to do it either, there are alternatives to the gear in there. If it was an entire dungeon and mandatory, I would understand the complaints. Also, I personally found it pretty fun the first time around. It does get old fast, though so do regular bosses.

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    My only problem with Storm Breaker Protocol is that they do not appear to scale with gear. This is good in some ways because it sets the challenge at a certain, unchangeable, level, but bad in that this is a progression based game and as I am more progressed older content should get easier.
    The mechs in normal do at least scale with level. Going in with a bunch of 52s and 51s (the "walk in the front door" method) early on got a wipefest through the entire vehicle section. Haven't tested gear scaling with expert version tho.

Quote Originally Posted by Requiemcliff View Post
    I don't want to come off as saying things to be contrary, but honestly, I don't mind vehicle segments at all. Especially in an MMO setting.

I mean, you play an MMO for 200 hours plus typically (Depending of course, I mean, I probably have a good few hundred hours logged in RIFT) Where you play your character, build them, do things. it's a cool mechanic to be able to use something different with your character. From a storyline perspective it makes sense as well, hey, you aren't going to be able to take out 200+ enemies swarms without some help, here is a turret or a cannon or a giant robot to fight with.

Now, I can agree that it does get a bit tedious when it is done too much, but really, I don't mind it as long as it isn't in most dungeons and as long as you aren't just doing that for 90% of the dungeon.
    Because of all that time I spend with my characters, carefully crafting and cultivating them, I find it all the more disconcerting when I'm forced into something else. I can respect that you feel differently there and am happy for there to be some optional stuff for you to go nuts on.
    I think the most important word here is 'optional.' Most people pick the MMO that they want to play as the one that they play. They like the way it works. I don't want a FPS dungeon in the random queue either, even if I like to play them on occasion. When I want to play a vehicle game, I'll go do that. When I want to play Rift, I want Rift to be Rift and not a clunky version of something else. I especially don't want my hands pried away from my character when I selected him at the login screen and then selected what roles I'm willing to play in a dungeon. Maybe there should be a vehicle role for me to uncheck somewhere.

From a storyline perspective I disagree with you strongly. My characters have slain gods. Plural. They did it with their skin showing, hands gripping weapons of their choosing. They can handle bugs. I've seen them handle swarms. Massive, endless swarms and the all-powerful beings that summon them. They don't need robot suits. In fact, that they suddenly have one dropped in their laps is both insulting and absurd as far as I'm concerned.
    Yeah, I hopped into a cannon for a bit to pepper Volan's face. Totally optional, off to the side, let a few guys in the raid handle it if its their thing. Perfect.

Hate every instance of vehicle/robot suit combat in Rift. Every single report I filed in beta was begging Trion to remove the vehicles from Rift.

Worst thing to every happen to MMOs.

The absolute fucking worst.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't normally like vehicle fights, but I sincerely think the mech was very well done. I was even REALLY looking forward to a mech battleground.

EDIT: That said... I just mucked around a bit in the entrance, so I don't know how good the rest of the dungeon is - as they are repairing it and it is not available.

I would not like to see Ulduar type vehicle / occulus in raids, however.

Deleted
    u get to play a bot on crucia as well. Im torn between crucia and alsbeth.. which one is worse, tough choice

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Hate every instance of vehicle/robot suit combat in Rift. Every single report I filed in beta was begging Trion to remove the vehicles from Rift.

Worst thing to every happen to MMOs.

The absolute fucking worst.
    Yeah same thing with PF. Devs, they are too close to it to see just how annoying and what a buzzkill all those rp heavy transformation parts are. They might be enjoyable once or twice but they end up being just flatout annoying (to the point where my entire guild skipped PF entirely because of that (well also all the fights but twyll being rather poor didnt help much either)) The only one i can't say i hated was the one in GsB getting turned into critters, and only because it was something no one expected and it was funny as hell watching everyone go wtf do we do now when it first happened

I havent played this robo-dungeons but what if there was an Iron Man suit for everyone? this would rock!