Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Considering we're the ones that invented video games, it's a tad silly. And the obvious factor that we don't respawn. XD

The closest I can think of to compare this to would be the Matrix, and even then we'd still have reality, this'd just all be an illusion by our robot overlords.

If so, I applaud their robot graphics team, but their content could be more balanced.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

10+ Year Old Account
    We are basically characters in a game of Sims xD

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by iebe View Post
    Bring on the cheat codes!
    Try entering the konami code at the local cigarette vending machine

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Creamy Flames View Post
    I want to find the asshole that designed the game and the noob that's playing me as a character. That fucker's got it coming!
    My thoughts exactly. He's a stellar RPer, but godawful in questing, and any other form of meaningful progression. He also must have rolled all 2's when determining my physical stats -.-

But it's a fun thing to think about, especially when you get a good conversation-partner to muse on the idea with. Do people pay to play us? What is the game marketed as? What game function do the different disabilities in this world count as? What can be considered guilds? Ad infinitum.

DEFINITELY something I'mma talk to a friend about when next we drink ^^
    If you add me on Steam, Skype or whatever program/client I share my info for, please write something to identify you in the "Dude/gal wants to join your club"-message. Just so I know that an actual human is on the other end :P

Who can I submit a ticket with, to report all these AH abusers?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by slime View Post
    Who can I submit a ticket with, to report all these AH abusers?
    I've seen some people kneel down with folded hands, sometimes even interacting with objects. Don't know if it helps, though.
    If you add me on Steam, Skype or whatever program/client I share my info for, please write something to identify you in the "Dude/gal wants to join your club"-message. Just so I know that an actual human is on the other end :P

I have thought about things like this strangely, its very hard to believe but it could possibly be true.
    ||i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz||H100 push/pull||AsRock Z77 Extreme4||16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz||Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970|| Coolermaster Storm Trooper||Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series||Samsung 840 Pro 128gb(boot drive)||1TB WD HDD, 2x 3TB WD HDD, 2TB WD HDD||

Bdk Nagrand / Astae Nagrand
    Pokemon X FC: 4656-7679-2545/Trainer Name: Keno

Even if this were true, it wouldn't make life any less real or precious. I know religion is taboo, but I will say that this is very much like a creator creating the world, in fact it is exactly the same.

All that this is saying is, "What if there is a god that created our world?" The same question that has been asked millions of times, I will say that I believe in a creator of some kind. This would be no different.

10+ Year Old Account
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia
    Since every single thing in the universe can be described using only information (ironically, the easiest way to code the information of any particle, system or the universe itself would be to do it in the binary system, something computers use), the idea that we're living in a computer simulation of some sort isn't something to be ridiculed.

What a shitty game this is then. For what possible reason would someone with the technology to emulate us, actually emulate us? The way humanity is going, i doubt anwsering any significant philosophical question would be the point of it. That leaves what then? For shits and giggles?

Bloodsail Admiral DownButStillOut's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Who's playing the game, because it certainly isn't me...
    Or is it?
    *tries to levitate computer*
    Meh.
    BeeeeeeeoooooOOOOoooooooooooooooOOOO-FFFSSSHHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMM!!!
    My attempt at being less of a pessimist was choosing Dawnbringer as my choice of server.
    I regret somethings! (like setting this in my signature)

If only real-life had cheat codes.

*sigh*

What a deeply philisophical question... yawn
    Last edited by Seani; 2012-11-08 at 04:53 AM.

In a few more decades, we will have the technology to create a matrix-like virtual reality.

But what would you do with that?

One idea is a society might use it as a citizenship test. Basically, when someone is born, they go into the matrix. They live out their virtual life, and everything they do is recorded. When their virtual life ends, they are judged. If they were truly a good person, they get to join society. If not, they are expelled. To make it fair, they offer guidance within the simulation. Let's say they add religion, and use it to provide rules and guidelines they are merely asked to follow, with zero proof of its validity. They are free to take those rules to heart, or challenge and break them. The promise of "heaven" for following the rules and being a good person is really citizenship in the real society.

Quote Originally Posted by Grummgug View Post
    In a few more decades, we will have the technology to create a matrix-like virtual reality.

But what would you do with that?

One idea is a society might use it as a citizenship test. Basically, when someone is born, they go into the matrix. They live out their virtual life, and everything they do is recorded. When their virtual life ends, they are judged. If they were truly a good person, they get to join society. If not, they are expelled. To make it fair, they offer guidance within the simulation. Let's say they add religion, and use it to provide rules and guidelines they are merely asked to follow, with zero proof of its validity. They are free to take those rules to heart, or challenge and break them. The promise of "heaven" for following the rules and being a good person is really citizenship in the real society.
    Let's not bring religion into this.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Deleted
    We all live in Matrix

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by orissa View Post
    If its a game, then its a sucky one.

No save/load function.
    Shitty UI
    No starting over
    No class selection or character customization (well, I suppose there is but its very limited and costly). Everyone starts out with a random character they have no say in.
    Broken professions
    Broken economy
    Debuffs such as disease are overpowered, dispels are either nonexistent or require expensive medical technology
    How do you know that?

There could be save/load, starting over and other such things, only YOU wouldn't know about it. If you die in a game and reload, nothing past that save point really happened and your character wouldn't know about it.

There could also be character selection or even picking stat points but it happened before you started playing so it would only make sense that you don't know about it as it would ruin the game. If for example your previous knowledge had remained, you would be born as a level 99 doctor or whatever skills the player has or something and that would defeat the point of the game.

Nothing can exceed the speed of light. Every virtual reality has a maximum pixel transfer speed, set by the refresh rate of its screen. The speed of light could simply be a processing limit of our system?

yup life is a game. im a world raid boss level 20000..shame you can only reach level 100 and would need a ton of health and hit rating.
    my friend code...

5241-1925-7760 name toasty

up for battles ...after 10/18/2013

Quote Originally Posted by Pipebomb View Post
    Nothing can exceed the speed of light. Every virtual reality has a maximum pixel transfer speed, set by the refresh rate of its screen. The speed of light could simply be a processing limit of our system?
    OR, if we are a part of a simulation, then all of science as we know it is rendered 100% invalid due to the fact that nothing is real. Because your perception itself would be simulated. Thus there is no conceivable manner in which one could effectively prove or disprove it. Therefore there is absolutely no scientific merit to thinking about it. It's just half-witted stoner talk. "Whoa, thirteenth floor was the best movie ever duuuude"<--- No it wasn't. It was boring and pretentious, and had the most retarded ending ever.

EDIT: I mean do you honestly believe, that if somebody was going to create a simulated universe, and was so technically sophisticated about it that they actually could that they would make such a stupid oversight, such as to even create the possibility to figure it out, rather than simply have it coded into the simulation itself that perception is overridden when somebody does something that is capable of revealing that it's a simulation.
    Last edited by Gheld; 2012-12-03 at 06:01 PM.