Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dacien View Post
    My morning radio show has an on-air personality that calls her Taydolf Switler, while another guy is in love with "T Swizzle". Love her or hate her I guess.
    That's gotta be Kevin and Bean.
    When survival is the goal, it's into the spider hole!

Her music vids are great on mute, so i guess im good with it.

---------- Post added 2012-10-31 at 01:24 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Meari View Post
    I didn't mean in this thread, I meant in general. People always get stuck on "But s/he uses autotune" or "S/he doesn't write her own lyrics". I just don't see how any of that is relevant as long as you're (or anyone for that matter) able to enjoy the music.
    It's relevant to artists because they are looking for artistic talent to be rewarded. It's kinda like if a scientist cured cancer but gets no recognition while a guy who makes cinnamon scented Vicks Vapo rub wins a nobel prize.

Quote Originally Posted by oplawlz View Post
    It's relevant to artists because they are looking for artistic talent to be rewarded. It's kinda like if a scientist cured cancer but gets no recognition while a guy who makes cinnamon scented Vicks Vapo rub wins a nobel prize.
    Yeah but whether you enjoy someone's music is largely a matter of subjective opinion. People like her's, so her albums sell. Sales figures are not like a nobel prize where a secretive committee chooses a winner base on actual scientific merit.

Quote Originally Posted by semaphore View Post
    Yeah but whether you enjoy someone's music is largely a matter of subjective opinion. People like her's, so her albums sell. Sales figures are not like a nobel prize where a secretive committee chooses a winner base on actual scientific merit.
    Sure, I don't begrudge her success, I was just explaining why some people are upset by it --- I'm no artist, so it doesn't matter to me either way. There is plenty of music around which I enjoy, and she's by far the prettiest thing to hit the scene since . . . well, ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Meari View Post
    I agree with what Semaphore said, but also; I don't care if she has the most dreadful voice ever, as long as she provides me with good music. I'd say making good music while being "talentless" is a pretty big achievement, certainly greater than being born with a great voice.
    Being somewhat sexually attractive to the mainstream society tends to help matters.

Quote Originally Posted by oplawlz View Post
    Sure, I don't begrudge her success, I was just explaining why some people are upset by it --- I'm no artist, so it doesn't matter to me either way. There is plenty of music around which I enjoy, and she's by far the prettiest thing to hit the scene since . . . well, ever.
    TBH her looks creep me out a little, I keep thinking it's like one of those little porcelaine dolls. You know, the sort that'll stab you to death in your sleep in horror movies.

I was hooked on Should've Said No way before I saw any of her pictures though.

Quote Originally Posted by Tikaru View Post
    Honestly, I don't see what everyone is upset about. Considering what other "artists" are top-selling right now, *cough*Bieber*cough*Minaj*cough*, Swift isn't bad.
    Yeah you start talking Minaj you start talking bad music in my opinion.

15+ Year Old Account
    What boggles me is why this is even a topic, yes this is the General Off-topic forum, but really this must be the most boring news this decade. Guess it's just me.

Although I agree there are worse artists out there *cough*Minaj*cough*. I want to stab myself in the ears whenever I hear anything from her, just to stop it. I wish I had selective hearing.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Badpaladin View Post
    She isn't country.

But yes, pop culture is all about congratulating itself.
    She Originally started with country music, and still does produce country music songs. She'll always be a country girl to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Dacien View Post
    Yeah you start talking Minaj you start talking bad music in my opinion.
    Isn't Minaj like batshit crazy too?

10+ Year Old Account
    Who cares? Her music sucks and shes an ugly cunt. Eminem show > anything this dunce will ever put out.
    So good to be an ant who crawls atop a spinning rock
    Currently playing: Bioshock 2,Far Cry 3

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    Isn't Minaj like batshit crazy too?
    To make music like she does you'd need to be batshit crazy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Parthenon View Post
    Depends on the song... Obla Di Obla Da (I like this song, but an example)

Ob-la-di, ob-la-da life goes on brah
    La la how the life goes on
    Ob-la-di, ob-la-da life goes on brah
    La la how the life goes on

or

Desmond takes a trolley to the jewelry store
    Buys a twenty carat golden ring
    Takes it back to Molly waiting at the door
    And as he gives it to her she begins to sing
    Agreed.... But don't forget to mention. The Beatles made songs for pure shit and giggles. Just for the hell of it, and rather meant as a joke than serious.
    They have more like that one..

You guys are mentioning The Beatles, Swift, Kanye and yet you're leaving out the best 2 lyricists of a generation; Jimmy Page & Roger Waters
    OUCH.. that one hurt now
    Jimmy Page is a genius. One of the best guitar players of all time... Yet, no. He's not a lyricist. The Led Zeppelin lyrics are almost entirely written by Robert Plant, and some by John Paul Johns.
    But Led Zeppelin is great example to put shit back into perspective, and that not all hope is lost just yet, in regards of quality measures.

When Led Zeppelin announced their one time concert at the O2 in London 2007, they had to make a lottery for the tickets. And the entries for the lottery was a whooping 20 million people. Made the concert event the highest demand of concert tickets in history.
    The tickets sold through auctions or who went available at ticket sellers, have been at record prices.

quote: One of the leading online ticket resellers, Seatwave, said the average price for tickets sold through the site for Led Zeppelin's comeback gig at London's O2 arena was £7,425.

Now a little jump back in time. The days when one had to rely on Music magazines that were released like once a month, or weekly at the best. When news traveled slow, and marketing abilities were crippled compared to our days now. Which translates for the most part, that quality was rather trumping marketing strategies.
    Back then, Led Zeppelin managed a huge record, so to say.
    For the album Physical Graffiti releases in 1975, there was a pre-order total already out of 10 Million records, before the Album was even released.
    They sold 10 million records, without having it in the shelves yet.

I have to say, today's music business has a huge lack of quality and even more so simple talent.
    Ever since Kiss was created as a plain commercial approach of success to break into the stronghold of british rock bands, and it worked, ever since the business gets tainted more and more.
    They even put expiration dates on the "stars" they push nowadays. 2 Years, is the time they give a new star, until they consider it milked, and the sales start to decline slowly but steady.

In that regard... Driving to work a couple weeks ago, they played the new Stones tune.... It fucking blew me away.
    Now I am not the biggest Stones fan at all, and never was. But they cranked out some good old rock, that's so good, it gives everyone a run for their money.
    4 now clearly aged guys. Not a bit tired just now. Still capable to be not just as good, but better than most everyone on the market.
    That's what I value in music.... Tremendous skill.... extraordinary talent... Guts for innovation... Enough fantasy and content for inspiration...
    If all those things come together, then you got something. If they don't. It's just another musical donut. You enjoy it while it's fresh...
    Last edited by Wildtree; 2012-10-31 at 08:00 PM.

Ok how about Brian Wilson from the Beach Boys. He made some pretty poppy stuff that sounded pretty damn generic for a long time. He did not switch it up until "Pet Sounds" and even then he was on Acid.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Puremallace View Post
    Ok how about Brian Wilson from the Beach Boys. He made some pretty poppy stuff that sounded pretty damn generic for a long time. He did not switch it up until "Pet Sounds" and even then he was on Acid.
    Approved as great.

The thing is... Those guys from back then... One can say from mid 50s to the end of the 70s... Those guys innovated, created, and shaped music.
    Without most of them, what's out there today wouldn't exist. And what we got now, is rather boring bullshit.. No one cares about quality anymore. Money matters most. Customers are sheep.. Gotta treat em as such and give em their food. fast.... fast food..

The last innovative tune I can recall in the Pop world is Hey-ya. That thing was so damn catchy and in it's own way so unique that one could say it was innovative, since it broke out of the common pattern.

Shit, just earlier I heard ABBA on the radio..... Now for someone from their times.. When you were into rock and that stuff.. ABBA was subject to call for an Exorcist, to drive out the evil of stupidity. But, they are so "good" sounding today... Weird... They weren't better then, they aren't better now. They just what they alwayss were. But even they had more quality. lol
    Last edited by Wildtree; 2012-10-31 at 08:20 PM.

You don't need to be able to make good music to sell lots. You just have to create a catchy tune with lyrics that most people identify with. The length of the song also has to be short so that radios will want to play it as well, then you add some really popular chord structure and BAM, you got some famous song.

It took me a long time to realize that people in general look for that, simplicity they can identify with.

Deleted
    I like Taylor Swift because she's a good artist.

People hating on someone because they make money is pure jealousy.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't say her music is bad, it's just not my thing. Good for her though.

Well there is more people then there were 10 years ago, just sayin'.