Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by bajskorv View Post
    They're the easiest class to play by far so that makes them uninteresting to the majority of players, yes.
    Nnnnno. That's subjective as hell, and probably just downright incorrect.

OT: Not the only one, but probably the minority. Everyone I've known who's played one thinks they're a blast, and I haven't had this much fun tanking since my Druid/DK. (Low levels suck though.)

DK Specs: guy who makes himself bleed to heal himself (more than a little emo), guy who makes people cold, guy who makes people slightly ill
    Most of that's a bit of an understatement. That's like saying Demonology warlocks only sorta use demons and metamorphise themselves into one. And I don't think Blood DK's make themselves bleed. They use a lot of everyone else's blood. Or rune magic. Or maggots.

So is that like the anti-emo or some kinda vampire bullshit or what? "Instead of fangs I drink your blood via axe to the head."
    Last edited by Vorticough; 2012-11-01 at 08:42 AM.

Deleted
    You should consider, that the Monk has in general less greater CD's than most of the other classes. Therefore you may feel weak sometimes, because the big numbers dont show up as you may be used to.
    But Monk shines realy in long-term Dps, when im Dps'ing in my Offspec my raidmembers have trouble to keep up (got good gear as a tank and tankgear=dps gear).
    When I play Brewmaster as a maintank i'm starting to top the recount too, it took me a while to learn dps'ing without disregarding my tanking styles.
    I dont know, being mostly the best dps and one tank that takes realy low ammounts of damage at the same time,.. well i'm having a blast. Took me long enough to learn though.

Quote Originally Posted by TobiasX View Post
    I think your opinion may be based on not watching enough Bruce Lee / Jackie Chan / Jet Li movies...
    I watched a few. None of them really got me pumped up to make a monk.

Playing Jade Empire's what did that for me.

Thank you all!

So all of you are saying that monks are easily kiteable? no dmg? no gap closer? Could someone please explain wich class YOU are playing?

I do shitloads of dmg, i CAN'T be kited and i have the best gap closer in the game. Oh yeah i can survive warrior + bm hunter burst. Me and my holy pala EAT warrior/healer in 2s.

Thanks to all of you that can't play monks, since it will mean that ww monks are getting buffed wich is so hilarious haha

Quote Originally Posted by HardCoder View Post
    The only "dumb stuff" you can die from standing in, in 5-mans, is the trash in the 2nd half of SPM. Well, I guess you can die from standing in lightning in MSV and from various other incredibly obvious mechanics, but the trash in SPM is the only trash that MAKES you stand in stuff that can kill you.

But you can die there in SPM no matter what class is healing you.

The healing throughput needed for all of the content below normal raids is pretty low in general, and only high in a few places in 5-mans, and only the 5-man trash pulls matter, because bosses die so fast mana isn't an issue. But in all of those situations MW is pretty OP.

I know, I have a 90 MW and love it

did you think I was bagging on them?

Deleted
    You can flame me on this, but my opinion is that the monk class had no place in WoW... It just doesn't feel right to me.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Baalb View Post
    You can flame me on this, but my opinion is that the monk class had no place in WoW... It just doesn't feel right to me.
    This whole expansion doesn't feel right.

Deleted
    My monk was lvl 90 within 5 days of release, WW all the way. I lvled from 1-90, not any SoR bullshit.

It is boring like I don't even know.
    Their DPS abilities are boring as nothing I've played before, their talents are mega boring and Roll is a STUPID way of giving people mobility in arena (especially for the DPS that (would) use it for staying on a target, but that too is impossible.

You cannot stop the roll when you are rolling for logical reasons, it goes VERY far and you end up out of melee range afterwards anyway. Not even speaking of latency or around-the-pillar fighting. It's stupid and WWs are countered by 1 snare.

Monk is snared. Monk uses Roll to remove the snare and attempt to catch up to target, monk ends up outside melee range. Monk uses Roll again to no avail.

It's fucking stupid how weak WW is. The only thing that's god-awful is Karma Touch. How stupid is an ability that transfers all damage you take to an enemy on a DoT? It's either MASSIVE SUCCESS to first-time-monk-opponent and almost a waste of Chi versus experienced opponents.
    All the damage abilities are dull as shit. Lvling is basically a spamfest... "woo my blackout kick does an actual animation" -> "yes, the same animation for ~86 lvls (4-90)" same can be said about the other abilities.

No ability that does MAJOR damage, absolutely no burst potential compared to other classes. Healers rofl at WW monks. They are countered by... lol... running.
    Last edited by mmocb02747362e; 2012-11-01 at 09:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Drihan View Post
    It's called being biased. If I played a rogue since vanilla beta up to now, I would stand on both feet and say that the rogue is undoubtedly the best class in the game, no question about it. That is bias since I haven't played any other class before and I don't bother to even try out any of the other classes.

I got to level 2 on my monk and by then I was already bored as hell. Their lore is boring, their feel is very boring, and the entire monk in itself is a very boring concept for a class, especially in the way Blizzard does it. All classes are boring at that level, I have 7 druids all over level 60 so I should know, yet the monk didn't give me any sort of sensation that this would be a class that I could spend time on. There was no draw to it. Waste of developer and designer resources to me.
    But people that are now playing monk have played all sorts of other classes before so that their opinion isn't biased.

I have to agree that monk lacks some signature skills at the beginning and that you can learn the basics easily but when you try to do the harder stuff like heroic dungeons (can still be very easy with a good group), challenge modes or raids things get extremely hard.

Other classes are harder to learn at first but once you know what to do the learning curve is over. As a monk you have a first learning curve that is very easy up to level 90 and after that you get another harder learning curve to master your class.

Also I only really like the brewmaster spec because you have so many choices with CDs, skills that help you survive, increase your threat or do more damage. In the endgame it's very complex and because of that a lot of fun. For example I could survive the first 2 phases of the Halloween boss completely without healing and survive the third phase up until 2x pumpkins are summoned. I've seen other brewmaster monks that did die in the first phase with healing. It's incredibly fun and amazing what you can do with all your stuns, self healing, mobility for kiting and so on.

Windwalker is a good DPS and in my experience it can hold up to warriors and rouges but I think WW is a little bit boring. You have only so few skills to that it seems like I'm just waiting all the time for my energy to regenerate so that I can use punch.

Mistweaver is very good for healing but I think it lacks a lot of DPS skills. There are so few skills that I couldn't level as Mistweaver. Killing mobs was so boring but healing with it is good.

In my opinion brewmaster is ok from gameplay but maybe a little too strong from balance. WW and MW lack some choices. MW healing is ok but doing anything else than heal feels so boring. WW DPS is ok but it feels like I'm always waiting to push a button so that I can wait again (same problem I have with my fury warrior).

I think Blizzard worked a lot on the brewmaster and made MW and WW a little bit overpowered so that they can add a hybrid class and people could play as DPS or healer without being that much worse than other classes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drihan View Post
    It's called being biased. If I played a rogue since vanilla beta up to now, I would stand on both feet and say that the rogue is undoubtedly the best class in the game, no question about it. That is bias since I haven't played any other class before and I don't bother to even try out any of the other classes.

I got to level 2 on my monk and by then I was already bored as hell. Their lore is boring, their feel is very boring, and the entire monk in itself is a very boring concept for a class, especially in the way Blizzard does it. All classes are boring at that level, I have 7 druids all over level 60 so I should know, yet the monk didn't give me any sort of sensation that this would be a class that I could spend time on. There was no draw to it. Waste of developer and designer resources to me.
    While having played a class a lot gives you a bias from being experienced, not playing a class much or not at all gives you a bias from a lack of experience. It works both ways.

The only way you can measure monk complexity fairly is to facilitate discussion between multiple players who have not only lots of experience playing monk, but also lots of experience playing other classes in different/similar roles. Also, preferably have some players who are playing monk as a main and some who are playing as an alt.

You can introduce a variety of experience in order to minimise bias, but when debating something like "how difficult a monk is to play" you need every member of a fair discussion to have significant experience in playing a monk because you could not possibly answer the question after having levelled a monk to lvl 10 (or whenever you gave up) and quitting, because you simply lack the education to answer the question. It's like me as a computer programmer commenting on the difficulty of carpentry based on my experience of building a chess table in high school.

Deleted
    I found Monks boring on the beta, I found them boring on live. Meh, I wasn't particularly looking for a new class. Not my cup of tea at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Vensu24 View Post
    Let's compare the 2 late addition classes

DK Lore: A Harbinger of death and destruction who was hand picked by the LK to bring oblivion to all who oppose him.

Monk Lore: A guy who knows kung-Fu and.........ya....

DK Specs
    : Control of Unholy diseases, manipulation of Life Blood and reign over Frost.

Monk Specs
    : Guy who drinks beer, guy who punches and kicks, guy who......what does the healer do again?

Which class is more appealing?

Demon Hunters can't get here soon enough.

Monks like most classes don't have all that nonsense lore thank goodness. DK's are a hero class which is why they actually do.

Monk is the class that is copied on Bruce Lee Wing chun/Jeet kun do, a man who did actually exists and was able to perfom feats of martials arts that requires years of training and heaps of talent. And not only that but doing it with style, making it look like anybody should be able to do it. A true life badass that was the inspiration for a lot of those silly manga characters.

Sorry, I'll take monk aesthetics over legolass, DKarthasDK, Noobadin and the now 2nd rate rogues who are inspired on men that wish they were as good as a bruce lee haha. Lets be honest now, Jeet kun do might not be the most effective martial art there is but you can kick butt with it for sure. Ninjitsu however is completely fake. About time WoW got a new flavour of an ass kick type of melee characters.

Spell classes have the mage and warlock which are the 2 iconic classes. I can imagine people wanting to play those, the wizard cooking up hailstorms and fireballs right? The druid and shaman have that mystic vibe over them from the real world which makes them interesting. Hunters are a little bland compared to them but I guess they appeal to the archer fans.

But melee was kind of meh. I am not a fan but I can see that there is appeal to warriors, the crusader, the viking, the highlander. The brute that clobbers your brains in with your own arm that he tore of your now bleeding torso.
    Paladins are kind of warriors but mixed with priests "we fight for good" kind of thing. Aesthetically I can understand, bringers of justice.
    But the class is designed to be played by new players. Everything truely is 1,2,3,4. From healing to dps to tanking. You don't really feel like that mighty bringer of justice but more of a second class warrior that hides in bubbles every now and then.
    And on the other end we have deathknights, the lore is all very vampire like. And the whole fallen hero comming to rise again against all odds. Thats pretty much as dead and done as a rocky movie. and the general aesthetic of things like putting diseases on people....."you now have the black plague and will die in a month muhahaha". Thats not ferocious.

Then the rogue obviously. They had their place because the rest of the melee was all plate wearing "knights" and an agile guy could use that to their advantage. I could see that. But now they are kind of second rate since the appearance of fighters who are the strong silent type and don't boast but are good on their word even though it sounds implausible. They go toe to toe with plate wearers and because they are such skilled fighters, can beat them through focus and precision in every move. How aesthetically can they lose to a guy with basically carnival tricks. Throwing smoke bombs and hiding in the shadows. Thats not really bad ass when you got a guy who pretty much counters all those tricks because he is so well trained. They are sort of the anti rogue, the monk is the guy that the rogue is inspiring to be but too lazy to train for

Just my opinion of course solely on the aesthetic/lore part of it. If you don't like the way they play, or like the way rogues or hunters or whatever plays, everybody has their own flavour which I can undestand.
    But comparing DK's to Monks on what is more appealing is a joke to be honest. Maybe if your a big fan of twilight or vampire stuff but even then they still have the corny back story and the dark side part is much more interesting in warlocks in my opinion. Curses beat diseases and raising demons from hell is more interesting then a bat.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWindWalker View Post
    Your priority list should have changed drastically at 56 when you got Rising Sun Kick. Which would become a central pillar of your rotation next to Fists of Fury. With Tiger Palm becoming something you use almost exclusively to put on a buff and Blackout Kick becoming something you only use when you have a proc or no other choice.

The difference between Vanilla content and the rest of the game with WW is pretty huge.
    Rising sun kick was fun at first, and at 85, so was the mastery. It got old soon after. Tiger 3x, rising sun kick on cd, black out kick, refresh tiger palm. Throw in some cds once in a while. But the basic rotation doesnt change. Once the patch hits, its spam Jab and black out kick, refresh tiger palm once every 30 seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by lordjust View Post
    I have to agree that monk lacks some signature skills at the beginning and that you can learn the basics easily but when you try to do the harder stuff like heroic dungeons (can still be very easy with a good group), challenge modes or raids things get extremely hard.
    I find the class interesting, but its not exactly rocket science, WW and Brewmaster anyways. The biggest factor if anything is getting FoF to weave in properly.

Deleted
    [please don't make posts that are nothing but an image. thanks. -tziva]
    Last edited by Tziva; 2012-11-01 at 03:33 PM.

What an annoying image.

Quote Originally Posted by Manifestatio View Post
    My monk was lvl 90 within 5 days of release, WW all the way. I lvled from 1-90, not any SoR bullshit.

Their DPS abilities are boring as nothing I've played before, their talents are mega boring and Roll is a STUPID way of giving people mobility in arena (especially for the DPS that (would) use it for staying on a target, but that too is impossible.

You cannot stop the roll when you are rolling for logical reasons, it goes VERY far and you end up out of melee range afterwards anyway. Not even speaking of latency or around-the-pillar fighting. It's stupid and WWs are countered by 1 snare.

Monk is snared. Monk uses Roll to remove the snare and attempt to catch up to target, monk ends up outside melee range. Monk uses Roll again to no avail.

It's fucking stupid how weak WW is. The only thing that's god-awful is Karma Touch. How stupid is an ability that transfers all damage you take to an enemy on a DoT? It's either MASSIVE SUCCESS to first-time-monk-opponent and almost a waste of Chi versus experienced opponents.
    All the damage abilities are dull as shit. Lvling is basically a spamfest... "woo my blackout kick does an actual animation" -> "yes, the same animation for ~86 lvls (4-90)" same can be said about the other abilities.

No ability that does MAJOR damage, absolutely no burst potential compared to other classes. Healers rofl at WW monks. They are countered by... lol... running.
    So touch of karma is a waste vs good opponents? do you just spam it the first thing you do or something? Because for me it's " Oh look avatar, touch of karma followed by a stun or disarm " my 1.5min cd countered his 3 min cd, so i can't die.

If you actually AIM the roll and look at the distance BEFORE rolling you usually end up next to the target all the time, and if you don´t... just run?

And about around the pillar fighting. You do know that you have a teleport,right? USE IT, put it down and chase after the healer and the healer will run right into your tele.

USE spinning fireblossom! a ranged 2sec root, you do need to aim it though so if you´re bad i guess it´s hard.

Low dmg? I crit warriors in full pvp gear for around 70k with my rising sun kick and 100k on mages, that´s without cds. My fist of fury did 4x 54k on a lock in full pvp gear aswell.

It looks like most of you don´t know how to play the class tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by Rivellana View Post
    From the blue watercooler chat on the front page:
    Monks – We know some players are concerned about Windwalker viability in Arenas. The Monk class has a high skill cap and they come with a learning curve. The Windwalker PvP bonuses are quite powerful and players aren’t really taking advantage of them yet. We absolutely want the newest class to be popular, but we’re also trying to be conservative and not recreate the situation where the Death Knight dominated PvP and PvE when it first launched. We do want to give the Monk a few more weeks and see where it stands, but we are keeping a close eye on how things develop.
    As someone else said, the class has a high skill cap...at the very least I know mistweaver does and I'm pretty sure brewmaster does as well. Yes when I do dailies and the like as a windwalker it feels kind of faceroll to me, but honestly, every dps class ever feels pretty faceroll. That's why I don't play most dps classes.
    That whole quote that you quoted is about pvp not about the class in general.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Garush View Post
    That whole quote that you quoted is about pvp not about the class in general.
    They're saying that monks have a high skill cap while talking about windwalkers in arena. Do you also know they're not talking about the class in general? Or are you just assuming they're solely talking about dps spec in arenas?
    Last edited by Rivellana; 2012-11-01 at 07:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Manifestatio View Post

Pretty much everything this guy says. "High-skill cap" my ass. This is just BS that the devs use to patronize the player community. In reality, monks have completely inferior abilities, that are more style than substance.