Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    The reboot you described I think is just to close to what is currently out there to feel like a reboot its more like a roll back to an earlier build rather than building from the ground up and killing things that are not helpful and building on things that are genre defining, at least thats my definition of a reboot, im sure others will have their own.

In a reboot,
    -I would get rid of levels to get more folks in on the action sooner.
    -I would give crafters an item editor, where they could design original weapons that could be purchased for either real or in game money.
    -I would remove altogether the restrictive tank/healer/dps model everyone would dps at core with the ability specialize in "group" talents such as when in group everyone takes less damage or when in group everyone gains health back or does more damage.
    -I would also allow still further specialization into the tank/healer/dps role but it would mean more in a pvp role. So essentially you only need a "tank" when you go and raid the opposite faction capital or bg or arena.
    - Each player would get an NPC helper that could also be specced into this tank/healer/dps role.
    -The best gear would all be crafted.
    -achievement points would unlock vanity items
    -better graphics or really just more polygons and better shading/lighting effects the engine is fine imo really
    -Each server has its own territorial lines between factions that become permanent changes if one faction holds ground for a certain period of time.

Quote Originally Posted by superdooper View Post
    Just because you buy super mario bros, does it mean you get to see the whole game? No. Only good players will be able to.

Your money is to play the game - not to be given anything you want.

I really worry about the next generation of kids.....gimme gimme gimme....
    What game are you talking about? I thought we were talking about WoW...

10+ Year Old Account
    1) Tiered raids that are relevant for most of their life. This would mean that the gear in them is still better than the 5 mans in the next content patch - 5 mans introduced with the new T15 raids should not drop gear that's as good as the T14 raids. When they do, why run the T14 raids?

2) No badge gear at all. Lose VP/JP. If you aren't raiding, you don't need raid-level gear. Having a points system that lets people buy raid level gear leads to feelings of entitlement, to feeling that you NEED the gear (look at the dailies threads and the number of people who feel they need to do the dailies because they 'need' VP gear). Give heroic level blues for revered status with factions, in heroic 5s and in scenarios. Tune 5 mans so that people are able to do them in a mix of quest and 5 man gear and that if people are in all 5 man gear the 5s are pretty easy. Tune the entry level raid(s) so that people in blues can do them. Move this forward each patch... the new 5 mans are doable in gear from the previous tier of 5s, etc.

But drop any and all PVE points systems... You get PVE gear from PVE bosses in 5 mans, LFR, Scenarios and raids. Want gear? Kill stuff for it.
    Last edited by clevin; 2012-10-31 at 05:52 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    1) tiered raids that are relevant for most of their life (meaning that the gear in them is still better than the 5 mans in the next content patch)

2) No badge gear at all. Lose VP/JP. If you aren't raiding, you don't need raid-level gear. Having a points system that lets people buy raid level gear leads to feelings of entitlement, to feeling that you NEED the gear (look at the dailies threads and the number of people who feel they need to do the dailies because they 'need' VP gear). Give heroic level blues for revered status with factions, in heroic 5s and in scenarios. Tune 5 mans so that people are able to do them well if in blues. Tune the entry level raid(s) so that people in blues can do them. But drop any and all PVE points systems... You get PVE gear from PVE bosses in 5 mans, LFR, Scenarios and raids.
    And, as we have seen many times, this aggravates the problem of less than 10% of the player base seeing final content.

Why are you so concerned about what other people do?
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

I do like the thought of raid progression...meaning you should clear one raid before moving on to the next, but the problem I see with that is situations like mine. I am on a medium pop server, but I am alliance which is very low pop. We have 8 solid raiders and have alot of trouble getting the other 2 spots filled, so that makes it easy to fall behind.

As far as balance...have you never been through a expac launch? It is always unbalanced at the beginning. This is the part where the rubber hits the road for Blizz and they are working hard to balance things out. Chill out and wait, and if your class is OP enjoy it! It won't last long.

The game would need to be drastically different to warrant it, and that would probably send a lot of the current players scurrying away.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalandrios View Post
    I can't agree that an entire reboot is necessary, and honestly WoW is too far along in its current model to really regress to what it used to be; but that doesn't stop me from dreaming.

I can't agree more that non-healing class healing is absolutely absurd. For instance, doing a heroic(I know, they're a joke) with a blood DK - they don't need a healer. It is a waste of time to be a healer with a good blood DK. Ret paladin WoG in arena, mages healing with evocate. This completely eliminated the weaknesses of those classes - their vulnerability. Mages have snares and slows so they don't take damage, not so they can tank mobs, nova, blink, and heal to full.

I think WoW would be very enjoyable if all the models, textures and sounds were brought to current standards, but it doesn't affect the gameplay so I wouldn't stress it too much.

I honestly believe that WoW should be free to play at this point. I understand that they put an IMMENSE amount of work into new content, and it shows. (Has anyone done headless horseman, which uses the old SM graveyard, then done the new instance? What a change.) What bothers me is that bugs are overlooked for such an extended period of time. DCing on terrain was ignored for MONTHS. Players wiped in raids, and lost gladiator and rank one titles over this nonsense. As a billion dollar company that owns the game, it shouldn't take months to sort this out. To be honest, it should take less than 24 hours from when the first account of it is noticed until a fix is pushed out. I don't care if they have to hire 100 new staff members to fix it, they should fix it immediately. The same goes for balancing spells -- colossus smash in season 9, and mages in season 10, blizzard admitted these were problems at the start of the season, and waited to the end of the next season to fix them, completely skewing the brackets.

Anyways, dreams will be dreams. Blizzard doesn't listen to an ounce of player feedback, they only acknowledge the feedback that they intended to implement/change anyways.

Thanks for a place to vent =]
    you want F2P AND instant bug fixes? I can tell you now that isn't gonna happen... ever.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

Maybe after 7 years it's time to find a new game?

Deleted
    so you want a reboot in order to get back horribly outdated vanilla/tbc mechanics... interesting

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SamR View Post
    What game are you talking about? I thought we were talking about WoW...
    The game doesn't matter, he's stating the inherent principle with a purchase of any product. Purchasing a product gives you the ability to use that product to it's maximum benefit given you have the proper capabilities. I am not entitled to being able to juggle elaborately by purchasing juggling pins, I have to put the time and effort into mastering the item. Likewise, because I purchased WoW, I am not entitled to everything within the game without possessing the capabilities to do such. Saying that you are entitled to receive the maximum benefit of a purchase without taking into account your own personal limitations in what you can invest is unfathomable for any intelligent human being.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grogo View Post
    I quit playing about a month ago after 7 years of playing, never cancelled account once. For me it was the Homogenization of the game paired with the lost epic feeling. I am sure many really enjoy MOP, so perhaps this thread isn't for you.

I would like to see the following happen in a reboot:

1. keep some of the quality of life aspects in the game currently but in general, many of the milestones for your character should mean something.

2. There should be a tiered raid system (BC) You go as far as you can, not everyone may see the last tier content. No heroic bosses re-hashed. Yeah yeah I know.

3. Homogenization is so in your face now. Everything blends together. A rogue should feel like a rogue, now every class "has" to heal itself.

4. A reboot should include damage normalization. Things are getting way out of hand.

A reboot would include what for you? This isn't a wow hate post. If Blizzard said we want to shake things up next expansion as in everything is on the table for a possible change, what would be the 2-3 things for you that is imperative?

Actually, let's just have everyone name 2 things, just 2 things but they would be the most important for you. Do not complain about the poster's above you regarding their choices. Just focus on what you want to see (2) and why. So if I had to pick 2.

1. Raid tiers - no heroic bosses

2. Re-evaluate the classes - only a healer should be able to heal for example.

Exactly, I agree with you point by point. WoW needs a reset. WoW currently does not have any RPG aspect, it's just an arcade game, a casual arcade game in fact.

But honestly, I doubt Blizzard rectify the direction being taken. The World of Warcraft is doomed, it is too late to rescue it.

I have the hope that when Blizzard finish killing WoW, an outside company buys Blizzard and when it has the rights of the Warcraft franchise can make a game in a decent condition... only a RPG of the skyrim quality...

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raenas View Post
    I agree with pretty much everything you mentioned (even though I'm rather enjoying MoP thus far).

I remember (and actually preferred) when I made my first toon--a warrior--and being forced to level First Aid while leveling because aside from healing pots, I had absolutely no self healing at all. Then fast forward to MoP, my warrior rarely falls below 75% health while questing. It's just mindless grinding now. No challenge.
    You find sitting down to eat between pulls a challenge?
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

Deleted
    Old players out.
    New players in.

The way of the mmorpg.

Rebooting? No bloody need whatsoeveratall.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Northem View Post
    Exactly, I agree with you point by point. WoW needs a reset. WoW currently does not have any RPG aspect, it's just an arcade game, a casual arcade game in fact.

But honestly, I doubt Blizzard rectify the direction being taken. The World of Warcraft is doomed, it is too late to rescue it.

I have the hope that when Blizzard finish killing WoW, an outside company buys Blizzard and when it has the rights of the Warcraft franchise can make a game in a decent condition... only a RPG of the skyrim quality...
    What are you talking about? I have played WoW since launch and its in the best place its ever been.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alltat View Post
    The BC system sucked for social reasons. The current system is decent, but I'd replace LFR with an "easy" setting for casual guilds. I feel that LFR is too easy to get people to actually cooperate and communicate, while normal modes are far too hard for most casual guilds. Set "normal mode" as somewhere between LFR and normal, with fairly low requirements in terms of DPS/HPS requirements and more time to react to things (like getting out of the fire), but without allowing you to ignore mechanics (not moving out of the fire will kill you). Set a "hard mode" a bit below current heroic modes, giving a challenge to more experienced raiders. Set an "epic mode" that's intentionally overtuned for the truly dedicated to try to beat, where every boss is Ragnaros heroic.
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    1) Tiered raids that are relevant for most of their life. This would mean that the gear in them is still better than the 5 mans in the next content patch - 5 mans introduced with the new T15 raids should not drop gear that's as good as the T14 raids. When they do, why run the T14 raids?

2) No badge gear at all. Lose VP/JP. If you aren't raiding, you don't need raid-level gear. Having a points system that lets people buy raid level gear leads to feelings of entitlement, to feeling that you NEED the gear (look at the dailies threads and the number of people who feel they need to do the dailies because they 'need' VP gear). Give heroic level blues for revered status with factions, in heroic 5s and in scenarios. Tune 5 mans so that people are able to do them in a mix of quest and 5 man gear and that if people are in all 5 man gear the 5s are pretty easy. Tune the entry level raid(s) so that people in blues can do them. Move this forward each patch... the new 5 mans are doable in gear from the previous tier of 5s, etc.

But drop any and all PVE points systems... You get PVE gear from PVE bosses in 5 mans, LFR, Scenarios and raids. Want gear? Kill stuff for it.
    I think a combination of these two would be rather good for wow.
    The multiple raid difficulty modes would enable more people to see the content, provided they were willing to put in the time and effort to gear up for them rather than just farming heroics for points to get geared out.
    However, the downside to having all of these difficulty modes is that unless the item levels for the gear in each new tier overlapped a lot, the problem of new raids instantly making older raids obsolete still persists...though perhaps not as bad if new 5-mans were tuned down to the difficulty of the older 5-mans (with much easier fights and lower item level gear than any of the raids).

Rather than many different difficulty modes (like easy, normal, hard, and epic modes), I think something like what Ulduar did would be better. Two raid difficulties: Easy and Normal but in normal mode, you can activate a Hard Mode for a boss during the fight itself (or fulfill a set of requirements before the fight).

edit: To answer the question that the thread title is asking: it depends. If our character and achievement data was going to be carried over into the reboot, then sign me up. If not then Nope.jpg and Donotwant.jpg
    Last edited by Raenas; 2012-10-31 at 07:06 PM.
    @dA
    Quote Originally Posted by Bleuh
    Since the invention of the internet, the Earth`s rotation has been solely propelled by english teachers turning in their graves.

Yes, the world graphics and animations and character models would look absolutely amazing today if they did everything from scratch. But it's an unrealistic fantasy, doesn't change the fact it would be amazing.
    If you like my draw-rings. http://yig.deviantart.com/
    If you can't find them for some reason beyond that page. http://yig.deviantart.com/gallery/
    WOW screenshot and concept art gallery http://smg.photobucket.com/user/evilknick/library/WoW

Wishing for the past, the return to past virtues and the restoration of bygone states and conditions is a sure sign of petty-minded, reactionary and unintelligent personality. All the "back to the roots", "back when things were good", "old school" banter, in life general.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    And, as we have seen many times, this aggravates the problem of less than 10% of the player base seeing final content.

Why are you so concerned about what other people do?
    No it doesn't because I'd leave LFR in the game for people who really just want to see the content and maybe grab some gear.

What I would try to do is keep more than single patch's raids relevant to people who raid normal. As it is, people mostly abandon the last patch's raids when a new tier drops because the new 5 mans drop gear that's as good as the last tier's raids and the VP from last tier moves to JP. Between those two, there's no gearing reason to run the previous raids.

Before you try to make cute remarks, fire up your brain.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyHellfire View Post
    Wishing for the past, the return to past virtues and the restoration of bygone states and conditions is a sure sign of petty-minded, reactionary and unintelligent personality. All the "back to the roots", "back when things were good", "old school" banter, in life general.
    C vs any newer programming language, your argument has been invalidated.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by roflmfao View Post
    I do like the thought of raid progression...meaning you should clear one raid before moving on to the next, but the problem I see with that is situations like mine. I am on a medium pop server, but I am alliance which is very low pop. We have 8 solid raiders and have alot of trouble getting the other 2 spots filled, so that makes it easy to fall behind.
    But that's a social issue to some degree. It's very hard, impossible really, to make a game work for a guild that can't even field 10 raiders. I get that it's not your fault you're in a low pop situation... hopefully CRZ and being able to invite via battlenet tags across servers will help people like you. But I really think the game needs to be designed for guilds who can at least field a raid team with some spare people.

---------- Post added 2012-10-31 at 12:19 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyHellfire View Post
    It's not about wishing for the past, it's about taking past experiences and seeing if combining them with new ideas results in something better. The 'it's al nostalgia' crap really needs to die. It's a lazy, stupid argument that's simply meant to shut down discussion.