Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

Remove or rework flying mounts

Remove or rework flying mounts:

Why?

Arguments for:

- World pvp. It died when flying mounts were introdused
    - faction raids. X-roads and Southshore. Will never happen again as long there are flying mounts
    - Easy-mode. Flying mounts makes everything more easy
    - Less freedom. Flying mounts gives too much freedom. Why this is bad? Because you don't have to run on the ground, which means less players to see, which also means no world pvp. Fly to quest location, fly away when done
    - Few or no lvl 90's running on the ground. Yes, there was some world-pvp while levling when we couldn't fly but all you will see is probably some lower lvl opposite faction-members, and that will only result in ganking
    - Exploring doesn't feel as fun. It feels too easy when you're able to fly. running on the ground gives a whole other perspective which is removed while flying.

Arguments against:

- Some locations are designed for flying mounts, but this could easily be fixed by reworking the system. More about that laster
    - It's been in the game for a long time now so removing it would probably never work. But what about reworking it?
    - Some players would rage and whine on the forums

Suggestions to possible changes or solutions:

- Let us only mount our flying mounts from specific locations, like from flight-paths or something.
    - Let us only mount or flying mounts x amount of times each day
    - Remove the ability to use flying mounts in some locations where blizzard wants world pvp, like in Kharashag Wilds in next patch.

How qould you like to see flying mounts in the future? Possible changes, or do you want it to stay the same? Mabye remove it completely from game and improve flight-paths? Tell use what you think in this thread.

10+ Year Old Account
    Everyone is so fast paced now you couldn't possibly remove them. Everyone would complain about "hard" it is to do everything because it takes so much longer.

They're such a big part of the game now too, it would be entirely imprudent to remove them.

10+ Year Old Account
    I just can't agree with a Bayern fan... Not gonna happen

it needs limitation, so far I agree.
    But only with regards of NPC interaction.
    For PVP... simple fix, revert the immunity.. it used to be possible to get dismounted from player damage.
    Bring it back, problem solved..
    (i know very well that this will re-create the old problems that lead to the immunity. so in a way the immunity is rightfully in place)

10+ Year Old Account
    And here's my argument: I don't care about your pvp servers, so stop trying to force it on everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrien View Post

Why?

Arguments for:

This is where I stopped taking you serious. You're using a talking point that is intentionally incorrect. Go on any PVP server with a high population and see just how "dead" world PVP is whenever you try to land your mount outside of a single-faction hub. (Not even then really, as PVP guards have been nerfed hard enough to be ignored by some classes) When my guildies need to call for backup from toons with PVP-gear just to do dailies without being corpse-camped by groups of Horde (Horde>Alliance pop server) as much as a few times a week, world PVP is far from dead.
    Soothing Mist:"Healing them for a minor amount every 0.5 sec, until you take any other action."
    Jade Serpent Statue: "The statue will also begin casting Soothing Mist on your target. healing for 50% as much as yours. "
    [What's half of minor?]
    "Statue casts Soothing Mist at a nearby ally for toddler healing."

Quote Originally Posted by Arkenaw View Post
    And here's my argument: I don't care about your pvp servers, so stop trying to force it on everybody.
    This. Thank you, but I like my flying mounts.

Thanks for the awesome sig, Lady Amuno.

4 out of your 6 arguments "for" are about world PvP in one way or another. Why list it as separate argument then? And even if it was dead (it is not), it wouldn't have been due to flying mounts. It would be simply because the playerbase did not want it. After all, it offers little reward.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.

I'm sorry your ability to gank AFK players was hindered by them hovering 100 yards off the ground when they AFK. Perhaps you should try your hand at fighting players who aren't tabbed out or in another room and not actually playing...

Deleted

Why?
    *snip*
    The arguments for are more your opinion than fact. I mean mounts are instrumental in reducing world PVP but they aren't solely responsible and removing flight will not instantly bring it back.

Easy mode and freedom are also heavily opinion based. If you believe them to be true then you can simply get off your mount and solve that problem. The *actual* problem is that you think everyone else should get off their mount as well. Not sure why everyone else's easy mode experience or level of freedom is any of your business.

Yeah I think your main interest is more ganking targets but you've tried to flesh it out a bit with aspects that *might* garner more interest.

10+ Year Old Account
    In an elevator, in the bottomless pit......that only goes down...
    Flying has been out for far too long, this thread would have been better served just before Flying Mounts were introduced. To try to change the entire system to satisfy a few peoples bloodlust for World PvP (which isn't even an arguement on non-pvp servers would they just be exempt from your proposed flying changes?) is a bad idea.

Cross-realm servers and such has added a bit of new life to World PvP. Since that happened there have been countless groups in Halaa again fighting for tokens. The place where you port into in Blasted Lands to go to the Dark Portal will never be the same, people camp there on a regular basis to ambush unsuspecting players.

I laugh at this:
    - faction raids. X-roads and Southshore. Will never happen again as long there are flying mounts
    That's not world pvp, that's world ganking. If those zones (with the exception of Southshore which doesn't exist anymore) were lvl 90 zones and people raided them i wouldn't scoff, but they are low level zones, there is very little challenge there, and if you do manage to get any resistance it normally doesn't last long.

World pvp died when battlegrounds were added.

faction raids. X-roads and Southshore. Will never happen again as long there are flying mounts.
    Wrong. will never happen again because ppl cba. It is fully doable with flying mounts, thats not an excuse

And here is my suggestion. Insted of crying over world pvp and how flying mounts "destroyed" it. Quit the game.

Yeah all I hear here is pvp whining again. Please lock this thread it is not constructive in any way

Deleted
    World PvP died with Battlegrounds (way before flying mounts in TBC). Funny how these people never remember that. Remember the EPL and Silithus "world PvP objectives"? Those were added to try and bring back World PvP and, guess what, didn't really work all too well. People did lots of World PvP earlier in WoW because there were no Battlegrounds so it was the only way to actually fight other people.

After that you still had World PvP but in a much smaller scale. Most decently populated servers still have quite the dose of World PvP but what you seem to want is an all out 24/7 open Battleground which won't happen by simply removing flying mounts (not that I think they should remove any of the mentioned features, either).

Why?

Arguments for:

1. World pvp. It died when flying mounts were introdused
    2. faction raids. X-roads and Southshore. Will never happen again as long there are flying mounts
    3. Easy-mode. Flying mounts makes everything more easy
    4. Less freedom. Flying mounts gives too much freedom. Why this is bad? Because you don't have to run on the ground, which means less players to see, which also means no world pvp. Fly to quest location, fly away when done
    5. Few or no lvl 90's running on the ground. Yes, there was some world-pvp while levling when we couldn't fly but all you will see is probably some lower lvl opposite faction-members, and that will only result in ganking
    6. Exploring doesn't feel as fun. It feels too easy when you're able to fly. running on the ground gives a whole other perspective which is removed while flying.

Arguments against:

- Some locations are designed for flying mounts, but this could easily be fixed by reworking the system. More about that laster
    - It's been in the game for a long time now so removing it would probably never work. But what about reworking it?
    - Some players would rage and whine on the forums

Suggestions to possible changes or solutions:

- Let us only mount our flying mounts from specific locations, like from flight-paths or something.
    - Let us only mount or flying mounts x amount of times each day
    - Remove the ability to use flying mounts in some locations where blizzard wants world pvp, like in Kharashag Wilds in next patch.

How qould you like to see flying mounts in the future? Possible changes, or do you want it to stay the same? Mabye remove it completely from game and improve flight-paths? Tell use what you think in this thread.
    1. Players killed WPvP by settling into a lazier play style.
    2. See 1.
    3. Unless you having a flying skill trivializes arenas or raids your statement is false.
    4. More movement options =/= less freedom
    5. Unless you happen to be at one of the daily area's in which case pvp still happens between even leveled players.
    6. Exploration is still exploration whether you're flying or not. Now you're just grasping for things to bitch about.

Quote Originally Posted by Constellation View Post
    I'm sorry your ability to gank AFK players was hindered by them hovering 100 yards off the ground when they AFK. Perhaps you should try your hand at fighting players who aren't tabbed out or in another room and not actually playing...
    Would probably be too hard for him, much rather come here and whine that actually find someone to mount.

OP, you need to open your eyes a little and look around. Not all servers are PvP. Everyone playing is not a ganking bully. Your chances of removing flying mounts from the game is about -9000% - just accept it and look for people to gank and leave posting to people who can make practical or funny posts

10+ Year Old Account

Why?

Arguments for:

World PvP died when it wasn't handed to people on a silver platter. There's plenty of ways to create world PvP but people don't do it (much like the bother to get a rated BG going). They rather just wait around in a city for it to magically happen outside.
    From the #1 Cata review on Amazon.com: "Blizzard's greatest misstep was blaming players instead of admitting their mistakes.
    They've convinced half of the population that the other half are unskilled whiners, causing a permanent rift in the community."

The real point of flying is to make travelling less painful. I once played a game where if I wanted to travel from my home city I would have to rent a mount to take a 15 minute ride to a harbor where I would would wait for the boat that came once every half hour so I could take a ride that would then have a real time transit time of 10 minutes.

That was just a starting trip. If I wanted to get anywhere that was fun to be it would take multiple legs. There were times where it could take an hour or more to arrive at a desired destination, gods help you if you weren't of a level high enough to rent the ground mount for a half hour. After the hour you could start to work on xp, quests, gathering, or whatever. Believe it or not. That doesn't make compelling game play. There is a reason why there are no games centered around being in a big sandbox in which all you can do is travel from one end of the world to another.

The game world is big enough for those of us who actually bother to be in it that moving at +300% speed is a significant increase over +100% speed.

My only complaint about flying mounts (okay, mounts in general) is that people feel it's necessary to stay mounted and stand on top of quest givers at the daily hubs. It's almost as if they don't have 1.5s to spare in order to remount.
    Last edited by jetersky; 2012-11-03 at 06:13 PM.

I've never seen a worse suggestion. This has got to be the most pointless issue I've ever seen. Why would you go out of your way to make a basic system as arduous as possible for no reason?

So you tell me that I'm going to do mining herbing and archeology on my ground mount just because a few people miss world pvp ?

BG = World pvp, kthxbai